Fat Burners... Do they really work?

So... went to GNC to get a pre-workout supplement and he talked about fat burning products.... Sounds too good to be true to me...
Do they really work?

Replies

• KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Unless it's a treadmill, nope.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Most of them are just stimulants from what I've seen
    I'm quite sensitive to caffeine etc, so don't like the idea/the few things I've tried.
  • ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    If they really worked, America wouldn't have an obesity crisis. Everyone would just eat the magic dust and get skinny. Since that's not happening, I'm betting on a "no".
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member

THIS GUY!
  • well I like synedrex.......sticks tongue out at the haters lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Yes
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    No. If you could just take a pill to burn fat, no one would be fat.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member

BkOpI09.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • KinoM
    well I like synedrex.......sticks tongue out at the haters lol

Synedrex, contains Dimethylamylamine. The following is from the FDA website (http://www.fda.gov/food/dietarysupplements/qadietarysupplements/ucm346576.htm):

What is DMAA?
    DMAA (1,3-dimethylamylamine) is an amphetamine derivative that has been widely used in sports supplements sold in the United States. Also known as methylhexanamine or geranium extract, DMAA is often touted as a “natural” stimulant, with many claimed functional uses including a body-building aid, an athletic performance enhancer, and a weight-loss aid. Although DMAA at one time was approved as a drug for nasal decongestion, no medical use of DMAA is recognized today. FDA is not aware of any reliable science indicating that DMAA exists naturally in plants.
    DMAA-containing dietary supplements are illegal and their marketing violates the law. Based on the scientific information reviewed by FDA, DMAA is not a dietary ingredient.

Is it safe to consume DMAA?
    No, FDA does not have any information to demonstrate that consuming DMAA is safe. FDA is very concerned about DMAA and we advise consumers not to purchase or use any dietary supplement containing DMAA. This substance narrows blood vessels and arteries, which can elevate blood pressure, and may lead to cardiovascular problems such as shortness of breath, arrhythmias, tightening in the chest, and heart attack, as well as seizures and other neurological and psychological conditions. FDA has received 86 reports of adverse events involving products containing DMAA. These events include psychiatric disorders, heart problems, nervous system disorders, and death.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member

Synedrex, contains Dimethylamylamine. The following is from the FDA website (http://www.fda.gov/food/dietarysupplements/qadietarysupplements/ucm346576.htm):

What is DMAA?
    DMAA (1,3-dimethylamylamine) is an amphetamine derivative that has been widely used in sports supplements sold in the United States. Also known as methylhexanamine or geranium extract, DMAA is often touted as a “natural” stimulant, with many claimed functional uses including a body-building aid, an athletic performance enhancer, and a weight-loss aid. Although DMAA at one time was approved as a drug for nasal decongestion, no medical use of DMAA is recognized today. FDA is not aware of any reliable science indicating that DMAA exists naturally in plants.
    DMAA-containing dietary supplements are illegal and their marketing violates the law. Based on the scientific information reviewed by FDA, DMAA is not a dietary ingredient.

No, FDA does not have any information to demonstrate that consuming DMAA is safe. FDA is very concerned about DMAA and we advise consumers not to purchase or use any dietary supplement containing DMAA. This substance narrows blood vessels and arteries, which can elevate blood pressure, and may lead to cardiovascular problems such as shortness of breath, arrhythmias, tightening in the chest, and heart attack, as well as seizures and other neurological and psychological conditions. FDA has received 86 reports of adverse events involving products containing DMAA. These events include psychiatric disorders, heart problems, nervous system disorders, and death.

Sounds wonderful . . . on which street corner can I buy it? Do I have to ask for "Lil Blunt" or "Phat Dawg" or anything like that?
  • KinoM
    Unfortunately it is sold as a 'legal' high from some jurisdictions, but has been banned outright in a handful of countries.

Edit: the TL/DR for this is fat burners range from useless to downright dangerous. Don't look for shortcuts & work on your mental and motivational endurance instead.
  • Taby2
    Taby2 Posts: 4 Member
    Although I want to burn fat like everyone else, and a magic pill does sound tempting I would be very cautious.
    I am always scared of taking over the counter medicine or pills.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I hear that meth and cocaine work.
  • I'd take those supplements back and spend the money on a gym membership or high quality food. There is no magic pill.
  • Acg67

What is DMAA?

Lol, so it wasn't DSHEA compliant in the FDA's eyes, which is still up for debate. Millions of doses were taken, why weren't there substantially more cases of adverse effects?
  • KinoM
    You mean *reported* adverse effects? And anything that's sold as a 'legal' replacement for speed has to be not only safe, but pleasant to take on a regular basis? I'm not stopping anyone, I just wouldn't be able to recommend it.
  • Acg67
    You mean *reported* adverse effects? And anything that's sold as a 'legal' replacement for speed has to be not only safe, but pleasant to take on a regular basis? I'm not stopping anyone, I just wouldn't be able to recommend it.

Can you provide some of the marketing materials that promoted it as a legal replacement for speed?
  • KinoM
    Search "Dimethylamylamine party" and you'll see plenty.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Answer is no.
  • jmill434
    jmill434 Posts: 25 Member
    So... went to GNC to get a pre-workout supplement and he talked about fat burning products.... Sounds too good to be true to me...
    Do they really work?

Going to GNC was your first mistake. They're vultures who get paid to upsell, kinda like the sales reps at Verizon who wait just inside the door to pounce on their next unsuspecting victim.

Bottom line is hard work works. There is no "magic pill" or "follow this one weird trick that scientists have discovered" that will get you where you want to go. Weight loss doesn't come in a bottle, it's earned little by little by working your *ss off and eating right.