kale chips - so good!

Options
GodMomKim
GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
So I made kale chips tonight - first time - no recipe just went for it.... 1 whole bunch of kale washed, and the center stem cut out then cut/torn into bit sized pieces - tossed the kale with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, put on a cookie sheet at 375 for about 3 minutes then stirred them around and cooked for 5 more minutes - sprinkled with a pinch of sea salt and ate the entire dinner plate full !!!! 65 calories.....

I'll be doing this again... what a great way to have your chip fix!

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have heard about these, but didn't know how to do it. I LOVE kale and use it in soups.... Yum. Thanks for sharing
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    yup they are awesome , love putting garlic & onion powder on them too with salt
    mmmmm
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi - i tried one my freind made and i'm sorry but it tasted nasty.. so how come you feel they are delish and they tasted nasty to me?
  • Bandiiit
    Bandiiit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The last time I made kale chips, I think I left them in the oven for too long because they were disgusting. I really like kale though, it's fabulous in soups.
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    nasty vs good tasting is so darn personal.... I HATE mint the flavor is totally yucky - so no thin mint cookies; no mint chip ice cream.... but love coffee flavored anything... So I'll do kale chips and you'll have to find something else sorry!
  • Nanette117
    Nanette117 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi - i tried one my freind made and i'm sorry but it tasted nasty.. so how come you feel they are delish and they tasted nasty to me?

Ditto- I think I was expecting more! I do like a kale salad though.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I think I did it wrong ?!?

I made Kale chips today too and they just tasted awful :(
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    For all those people saying they tasted awful - try cooking them on the LOWEST setting (for me that's 200) for 45 minutes to an hour or longer. The lower heat retains the nutrients and for some reason they just taste better (when I did them at the higher heat they were really bitter).
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've tried making them twice now, I didn't like them at all. And I don't like the smell of them either. But raw in a salad I love it.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    So, make sure you are using the flat leafy kale, not the curly kind.
    You can also make them in the microwave.(see video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMSBsuu1UjU

I can't get the flat kale this time of year and the curly kale is terrible for this sort of thing.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    For all those people saying they tasted awful - try cooking them on the LOWEST setting (for me that's 200) for 45 minutes to an hour or longer. The lower heat retains the nutrients and for some reason they just taste better (when I did them at the higher heat they were really bitter).

OK, I may just give them one more try like this.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Love them. I use my dehydrator and it makes them quickly and perfectly every time. I like to use evoo, lemon and/or za'atar.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    They are tasty but easy to overcook. I use pam olive oil spray to make it even easier.
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    I have a dehydrator, what temp and how long?
  • gotagol01
    Options
    WoW! never thought of doing this. What a great idea! will pick some up and try it out on my next shopping trip. Thanx
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Barf. I made them and threw them right in the garbage. They also stink, but everyones taste buds are different :)
  • jeskuhsmeekers
    jeskuhsmeekers Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    depends how you make it.. i've made some batches that made it right into the garbage and some that didn't last an hour between me my boyfriend and my 2 yr old son ( who by the way will NOT eat any veggies but since these are like chips he will eat handfuls of them) you really have to watch them and cook them on a low temp. i use a little olive oil on them in a zip lock and shake it with some garlic salt and a little goes a long way in these.. bake on 300 for about 10 mins but you have to stir them and make sure they don't start to brown
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think they are good, but they are more trouble than they are worth for the amount of finished product you get
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kale chips! I can eat a whole bunch of kale by myself, easily.
  • JeannetteLassell
    Options
    I like putting some low salt soy sauce in a sprayer and misting the chips before drying them.