Job

Options
Does your job interfere with you fitness plans?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    definitely - especially if someone books sick - I am a supervisor in a jail and our manager pool is small if someone books sick there are not a lot of options except to hire us for the overtime - nice for the pocket book but definately intereferes with exercise plans - this is the third day in a row I have been called to cover on overtime - no exercise for three days now :(

The food thing isn't an issue though as I pack pretty healthy food to take with me.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    Actually, mine helps. I work in a work habilitation center for the intellectually disabled and we do a lot of walking when we don't have any work in the building. I usually have 5 miles of walking in before I even leave work.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    yes. i own my own business, doing crochet, which is very time consuming. i end up sitting in front of the tv and working, being bombarded with commercials for junk. or i'm on the computer promoting my etsy store or responding to customer inquiries etc. it's way more than a 9-5 desk job, as if that isnt bad enough. right now i'm in the middle of an order that will take about 30 hours of labor, all sitting on my tush crocheting.

but.. it keeps me home with my kids instead of working for the man. and.. YARN lol
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Desk job and long hours this time of year make it hard but I got to get out today!!!
  • knra_grl
    Options
    yes. i own my own business, doing crochet, which is very time consuming. i end up sitting in front of the tv and working, being bombarded with commercials for junk. or i'm on the computer promoting my etsy store or responding to customer inquiries etc. it's way more than a 9-5 desk job, as if that isnt bad enough. right now i'm in the middle of an order that will take about 30 hours of labor, all sitting on my tush crocheting.

but.. it keeps me home with my kids instead of working for the man. and.. YARN lol

cool - I love crafty people - my sister and niece are so talented - I was skipped when that gene was doled out in my family :drinker:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No. I think work is a convenient excuse for some people. I don't plan to go to the gym during work hours. I never indulge in the junk food that is all over at work. That would be a problem but not one caused by work.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    No. I think work is a convenient excuse for some people. I don't plan to go to the gym during work hours. I never indulge in the junk food that is all over at work. That would be a problem but not one caused by work.

I guess it would depend on your job wouldn't it? When I work a 12 hour shift I arrive at work at 05:30 in the morning and work 12 hour shifts - early bed times to be able to get up at 04:30 doesn't give you much time except to prepare food and do minimal house work and laundry - if you plan exercise on your off days and get called to work OT then you lose that opportunity.
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    Does your job interfere with you fitness plans?

No, but it does interfere with my sleep.
  • nicole_skalski
    nicole_skalski Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I work in retail currently, and so 95% of my day is spent running around and cleaning things and fixing racks and showing customers things. I rarely work register so I am walking for like 2 or 3 hours sometimes doing go-backs! So, yes, and no. No, because walking is great, but yes because after walking for so long I don't want to come home and do my aerobics :P
  • MissInfiniti
    MissInfiniti Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in the military so it only benefits my fitness plans... working out is a requirement!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    It did - It was impossible to be on a healthy lifestyle weight loss plan at my job. Then I got laid off, and now I'm doing great! One of the best thing thats ever happened to me.
  • katy_jane_2013
    Options
    mine does I am a home carer and I work 12 days on the trot and no day is ever the same times sometimes I can work from 7 am to 10pm and get a hour diner break but on them long days I don't have the energy to exercise on my dinner, so I find it hard sometimes, just do it when I can.. plus I have a dog so always have to make time for dog walks which gets me a little exercise in.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    A little. I work at a desk job so I already have a fitness strike against me. But I've been walking every day during my lunch hour for 30 minutes when I can. I also exercise on the weekend and if I'm really feeling motivated.. will do some more exercise after work. I'm trying to fit it in anywhere I can.
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    Mine did so I quit it and got a new one.... Nothing will get in my way, in my new job I have my availability as from 12noon until 10pm Monday to Saturday, purely because I go to the gym or swimming at 8am very day (we don't work Sundays)....

I have come too far to let anything get in the way and I will not allow anything to.... I was working from 7am until 10pm some days in my old job and our gym opens at 6:30am and closes at 10pm, so I couldn't get to the gym, therefore the job had to go.... When I left I told them exactly why I was leaving and I also told my new employer why I left my previous job and they seemed totally in awe of my weight loss to date and of my dedication to it health and fitness.... The boss said he saw my dedication as a plus point, and when I did the work trail the boss was really impressed that I've gone from a largely sedate job to doing a physically demanding job without even breaking a sweat lol

xXx
  • oriocookie1
    oriocookie1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes and No. I am a mail carrier so I get a lot of exercise on a daily basis. However, my body has grown accustomed to it, so I need to find time to exercise after work, along with dealing with 2 kids (6 and 3), my business (Mary Kay consultant), and other home things.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Mostly no, but I have to be a little creative with my time.

On Thur-Sat when I work 1PM-Midnight, I have plenty of time to run and'or lift before work.

Coming off midnight Saturday I start at 8AM Sunday,so the best I can do is a short 3-5mile run before that shift- but getting out at 7PM means I can do strength training after work.

There's also sometimes lots of down-time, and I'm the only one in the building. I'll walk laps, do stairs, or bust out a mat and a barbell and do some ab and upper body work.

Then having the next three days off gives me lots of time for really long runs, or alternate fitness activities.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I work in a fast food restaurant and I am a manager so my meals are free...... how do you think I gained the weight?? lol
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I find it most difficult when I travel for business. Often, I don't have control of when and where I eat or workout. It takes maximum willpower to realize that I still control what and if I eat or workout.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

Now if I could figure out how to support myself knitting, that would be great. But since I haven't figured this out, I guess I'll keep teaching seventh grade. Now that does burn a lot of calories.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Now if I could figure out how to support myself knitting, that would be great. But since I haven't figured this out, I guess I'll keep teaching seventh grade. Now that does burn a lot of calories.

LOL i dont make much with the crochet, but its enough to keep me out of traditional paid work, and me being home with hte kids is s much better for our family, not to mention my stress levels.