'selfish' for losing weight

Options
I've been told that my reasons for losing weight are vain and selfish. Like, does it really matter what my motivation is if it's working? If I want to lose 85 pounds for the sole purpose of wearing cute clothes, who cares?! How is that any of your business? I'm sorry I don't have a sob story for you, but I don't actually need a tragic backstory in order to justify myself.

Replies

• Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's selfish at all you need to surround yourself with more encouraging people.
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We all have our own reasons to loose, and honestly it is really no one else's business! maybe the person judging you has their own issues about weight and is putting them on you?
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Do it for yourself & prove the fat *kitten* wrong!!!:laugh:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I agree, you need better supportive people around you. I may not have chosen to lose weight to wear cutier clothes but honestly I love it. You do what you got to do and the reasons why are your own.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Be selfish. It's your body and your life. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    my reason for losing weight has changed so many times since I began. People will talk, I even lost a friend due to her jealousy of me wanting to better myself. Whatever do what gotta do! Piss on all the negative people
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've been told that my reasons for losing weight are vain and selfish. Like, does it really matter what my motivation is if it's working? If I want to lose 85 pounds for the sole purpose of wearing cute clothes, who cares?! How is that any of your business? I'm sorry I don't have a sob story for you, but I don't actually need a tragic backstory in order to justify myself.

I think that regardless of reason for wanting to lose weight and the things that motivate us, making healthy, good goals and following through with them is an admirable trait in a human being. My main reason for wanting to lose weight is to look good AND to wear cute clothes! Is it vain? Oh, hell yeah. Not a doubt about it! But that doesn't mean I shouldn't do it. It doesn't mean that it won't benefit my health and likely extend my life by a few years or more. My vain reasons won't make the benefits of maintaining a healthy weight disappear and my vain reasons for wanting to get in shape are nobody's business.

Also. . . vain does not equate selfish. Ignore this person and keep heading toward your goal. Good luck!
  • Audrey24HisSuccessStory
    Options
    You don't need to justify your hopes, desires or anything to anyone. It's unfortunate that those people are negative and it only reflects the negativity inside them. Stay strong and do your best to surround yourself with positive people and to kindly ignore those who aren't as motivated, focused and daring as you to pursue YOUR goals. You can only live for you and you are only responsible for your actions and not how other people interpret things. It's also super unfortunate that this person doesn't realize that by losing all that weight you're going to sooo much healthier and live more quality life. Stay strong girl! :)
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You're making the fat, lazy people around you feel bad about themselves with your success. You really should be more considerate! I bet you never once considered how other people would feel when you started to look hot and they stayed as a not.

Wait, that's not how it works.

Tell them to shut up and have another cookie.
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't share the fact with non-close friends because then it's always followed by "why?" and I have the same reason as you. It's really no one's business. It's motivating me, so who cares what anyone else thinks?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Number 1 reason I am losing weight: To look hot as fluck naked and rock the teeniest bikini at the beach with my son on my hip.

Am I vain for admitting it? Absolutely. So? Who cares what the reasons are? If the reason is sufficient for you, that's all that matters.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

How is it "selfish" to lose weight? Would that imply that being overweight is akin with being a philanthropist? LOL. Whoever said that should hold no more credibility in your eyes.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you are 85lbs over weight, it is not hard to believe you would have the desire to lose it for other reasons too than just vanity. That being said, whatever your reason is, people need to respect it.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

Anybody who accuses you of being selfish for losing weight...THEY'RE the ones who are selfish. You are allowed to do as you please with your own body.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Actually we all know that losing weight is time consuming and at times expensive. We spend time at the gym, working out, counting calories, researching and even reading and writing on the forums. If we are neglecting our spouses, children, friends etc to do this then maybe we are being selfish. But...maybe we've neglected our heath so long that those close to us are glad to give us that time. On the other hand eating more than our share of food for our size and activity level is in fact selfish. We are storing extra fat on our bodies and spending extra money on food. We could donate that money to a charity that feeds others who need some fat. If we are consumed with our appearance and maintaining it is our first priority in life then that's selfish. However, if we neglect our health and are unable to play with our children or expect them to sit at our side in the hospital due to our self-induced illnesses then we are selfish. It's all about boundaries. It likely that only we ourselves know if we are being selfish or vain in regard to the time, money and essentially priority we give to losing weight.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I support anyone who's final goal is healthy along with their means of getting there. Reasons for getting their are irrelevant.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    We're always raised to think of selfishness as a bad trait, but I think it's super important to be selfish. We need to put ourselves first, and manage our own needs as a priority. Embrace your selfishness, I say!
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    We're always raised to think of selfishness as a bad trait, but I think it's super important to be selfish. We need to put ourselves first, and manage our own needs as a priority. Embrace your selfishness, I say!

^ This!

And seriously, if we can't be "selfish" about out OWN BODIES, then what is the alternative? That's deffinitely something that should be 100% ours!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to tell everyone your reasons? Maybe that;s what people are more annoyed about, you telling them constantly rather than your reasons. Just get on with it
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sounds like......... HATERS!!!! Tell them "be gone wit your hatin *kitten*". I am sure the people telling you this are over weight themselves. Misery loves company.