Rant about stuff

Options
I find it super annoying when those people come charging in and putting down people's suggest recipes saying that eating in moderation and enjoying the real stuff is the best.

That works for them, GREAT. Some people prefer to eat lower calorie substitutes so that they can enjoy them more often, I know that I prefer that. I just feel that the whole idea of making this a lifestyle and not a diet has gotten people to think that it's bad to find low calorie substitute and I don't really understand why.

Feel free to ignore :) , I just saw another post about that on a good recipe idea, and I don't freaking know why they bother posting on it

Replies

• teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    That's a big pet peeve of mine, too, when people post on things that they really have no vested interest in. If it doesn't concern you, stay out of it.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    you're doing good to post and help others on here, there are haters and complainers everywhere in here too, all you can do is ignore them. it's hard, and i've gotten annoyed too......but just smile and move on
    alot of people are always looking for recipes, low calorie and so on :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm the other way around. I get annoyed when people screw up perfectly good recipes just because they're trying to reduce the caloreies, that's what portion control is all about.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm the other way around. I get annoyed when people screw up perfectly good recipes just because they're trying to reduce the caloreies, that's what portion control is all about.

:drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

And just to add: Portion control and moderation are the two biggest lessons I had to learn. Once I learned them, the binging stopped.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have to say I agree. I am on a lifestyle change meal pattern... ok to me that's a lifestyle diet, but some people think the minute you say diet, it's a temp. Anyway (guess that was my rant lol) I intend to eat this way for LIFE, I will add more calories when I get to goal but I will always, as we all will always have a limit, if you need to maintain a gain you will have a mim. level, a loss a max. level. To maintain organ health you will need to exercise in some form.

I have changed my foods, I do buy lower calorie breads, I do use Truvia and I'm set on that (it tastes like sugar no aftertaste) I do try to use fresh or frozen to avoid sodium. and the list goes on. You do, in my opinion need to eat 'regular' foods, but choose smartly. I do eat steak but 1/2 of what I use to eat. I do eat pizza but again modified to a thin crust (haven't done the mushroom crust yet)

I see recipes I'd love to try, some I just can't afford the calories of on my 1200 a day, some I can modify and some I almost jump for joy to see how they have reduced or remade it and it is good and it is better for a diet! (I love those people) The bottom line is everyone has a right to eat what they feel if right for them, if they have found something that works by all means share it and if that's not for YOU keep out of it...
  • kirstenbirch_
    Options

Ha that makes a touch of sense, but it's not like they are trying to replace all of your favorite treat with a diet version, they are just doing it for themselves and others like them.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'll generally try out a lower calorie version at least once or twice. If I can't tell the difference , why "spend" the calories?
  • Whambam087
    Options
    I get annoyed when people preach moderation. That doesn't work for me. Eating processed junk only makes me have these annoying cravings for more and when I don't eat it they simply don't exist. But I'm supposed to eat junk food because that's not normal and is too extreme. You need cookies apparently.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I, myself, for the most part, do not try to reduce calories in recipes. However, I would not presume to tell anyone else that it's not a good idea. We all have to find those things that work for us! While I am always open to suggestions, criticism and put-downs certainly shut down the conversation quickly. OP, I can understand your frustration, hopefully you can move on, take what you like and leave the rest. :smile:
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I get annoyed when people preach moderation. That doesn't work for me. Eating processed junk only makes me have these annoying cravings for more and when I don't eat it they simply don't exist. But I'm supposed to eat junk food because that's not normal and is too extreme. You need cookies apparently.
    I pretty much don't eat any processed junk and I'm still able to eat foods in moderation......not sure what you mean?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I find it super annoying when those people come charging in and putting down people's suggest recipes saying that eating in moderation and enjoying the real stuff is the best.

That works for them, GREAT. Some people prefer to eat lower calorie substitutes so that they can enjoy them more often, I know that I prefer that. I just feel that the whole idea of making this a lifestyle and not a diet has gotten people to think that it's bad to find low calorie substitute and I don't really understand why.

Feel free to ignore :) , I just saw another post about that on a good recipe idea, and I don't freaking know why they bother posting on it
    Why are you so worried about what others think?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I pretty much don't eat any processed junk and I'm still able to eat foods in moderation......not sure what you mean?

I think this is referring to eating ALL foods you could ever want but in moderation, without completely eliminating anything you actually like from your diet and labeling it as bad. Example, cakes, donuts, soda/pop, fast food burgers , French fries, nuggets, etc
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I, myself, for the most part, do not try to reduce calories in recipes. However, I would not presume to tell anyone else that it's not a good idea. We all have to find those things that work for us! While I am always open to suggestions, criticism and put-downs certainly shut down the conversation quickly. OP, I can understand your frustration, hopefully you can move on, take what you like and leave the rest. :smile:
    I'm not telling anyone to do anything, just giving my point of view, I believe that's still allowed. If the need is to close eyes, cover ears and sing lalala, that ok too.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I think this is referring to eating ALL foods you could ever want but in moderation, without completely eliminating anything you actually like from your diet and labeling it as bad. Example, cakes, donuts, soda/pop, fast food burgers , French fries, nuggets, etc
    Ok, I read it differently. Restrict for sure if it's a problem.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    NOPE!!! Moderation is the key word, every other time I tried losing weight I wouldn't eat "junk" food which in the end I would binge on it and than give up. Now I just do moderation and well......see below. JS :wink:
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have to eat different than everyone else most of time to stay within my goals. I usually make a protein, starch and veggie for hubby at dinner. I make myself a huge salad, put the veggies and 4 ounces of whatever protein on it. I usually marinade, grill or bake a lean protein, fish etc. I stay away from the starch. I eat a salad and protein for lunch with some yogurt. Hubby might eat a sandwich. I do eat different but don't make a big deal out of it. When I am out or at someone's house, I eat the protein and veggie. No dessert or just one bite if they are very proud of what they made.

I modify recipes so reduce calories. This is what works for me
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    OP - you are partially recovered from an eating disorder and yet you are now trying to lose more weight? I'm sure you hear quite a bit about not only the low cal recipes, but also that you should be working to fix your relationship with food and focusing on recovery. Frankly, the criticism about food replacements are often focused on the problem with having a bad relationship with food. That isn't people being mean to you. That is concern about your health.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The problem with lower calorie, low fat, etc versions of ingredients is that they often swap one "evil" out for another. For low fat, they will sometimes increase the sugar or sodium; for lower calorie, they will swap out sugar for a processed sugar substitute. So yes, you can enjoy things more often if all you are doing is counting calories, but it's not necessarily "better" for you from a nutritional standpoint. Sometimes just a smaller portion of the real version really is the way to go.

ETA: I agree with the above ^ about the concern with your ED recovery and recipes. I hope you discuss this issue with your doctor, counselor, nutritionist, etc so they can help you figure out how to enjoy the foods you love in moderation.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree, that is my intent also. Right now if I'm going somewhere I know there will be food I shouldn't have yet or are too high calorie, I try to have a couple of Ziploc bags of mix with me that I can make. If your family/friends are supportive they will applaud your efforts and maybe even think this will convince surgery was the right thing for you and you are committed. No fad, lifestyle change.