Anyone participating in Lent this year?

Options

Replies

• Lesliereams
    Lesliereams Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to give up chocolate but I really got mean during Lent! The last few years, I've been "adding to" myself for Lent instead of giving up. I'm including something in my life that is beneficial such as consistent daily devotions, etc. Last year though I did "give up" listening to secular radio stations in favor of Christian stations only. That was more for my teenage children than me since I really enjoy Christian stations. The spin I put on it was that we were giving up being exposed to vulgarities on secular morning radio shows in our area. Since I've started an exercise program this year maybe I will do something along the lines of exercising every day to improve myself.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yes we will stop eating out for the Lenten season. Then donate the money saved to Living Waters. I like the idea of no swearing for Lent. I may do that one for me...
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Going to stop swearing..... or at least try my darndest too every day. Its not something I should do, it happens frequently and it'll make life more pleasant for others around me and myself. Not exactly a sacrifice as such, but definitely a willpower struggle to overpower my subconscious spewing of rubbish words.

Hey, thanks ... I will join you on this one
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I always participate in lent...I'm giving up Church.
  • sophieamhaley
    Options
    I'm not religious at all but I like the challenge of giving things up for a while and this is a good a time as any to do it.
    A couple of years ago I gave up chocolate and sweets, I think I'd like to do that again.
  • firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious, but I'm intrigued by Lent. I think I might try to give something up... maybe soda altogether, or bread! Bread would be a tough one to do, but perhaps rewarding. I'll have to think about my options~
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up sweets - cookies, candy, chocolate, etc. I haven't eaten any of that stuff since! This year I'm giving up crackers and rolls. I don't mind eating a sandwich or pasta, but I don't want to have rolls with dinner or breadsticks. So I'm giving that up too.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    That is such a good idea, I might give my mum my scales!!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i think im going to go meatless. no meat. no chicken. i dont eat seafood anyways. and no pork.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    We're trying at work to come up with something we can all give up. Someone said they would give up chocolate because they never have that at home anyway. I laughed and said it would be like me giving up cigarette's and alcohol (don't smoke, and RARELY drink).

Another girl at work said she was going to give up sweets, so she guessed she'd have to give up sugar in her coffee. The rest of us thought that was a little extreme....sugar in coffee doesn't count as a sweet because it's not like cakes, cookies or candies.

They want to give up Bread, but that's totally unrealistic for me - it's not one of my trouble spots. I've been drinking a LOT of soda pop lately - Diet Dr. Pepper. So I've been considering giving that up. Usually like to have popcorn at home in the evenings, considering giving up that too.

I do plan on doing something, but it's yet to be determined as yet.
  • thunker
    Options
    I will. :) Lent has been a good way for me to kick habits in the past. I gave up soft drinks back in high school to help with running during cross country season and I have not gone back to drinking them regularly (I see them more as an occasional treat now, plus the whole burning your throat when you drink it wasn't that appealing).

Last year I gave up chips. I learned that I should have probably given up going to Mexican restaurants with it because they always serve chips as a starter. I went to one during Lent last year with my manager, she asked me if I had given anything up as I was stuffing a chip into my mouth. Oops.

I need to figure out what I want to give up this year. I'm thinking StarCrunch because my fiancé keeps buying them and I keep eating them. I think I might include cookies in with that.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Years ago I used to pray the Rosary daily during Lent. I think this year if I really want to push myself, I might give up Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • LaurenPell123
    LaurenPell123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up bread - it disagrees with me anyway I get all bloated so it's probably a good idea.
    I'm also cutting the deserts down to two special ones once a week instead of filling up my calories each day with deserts I don't really enjoy :)
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious at all but I like the challenge of giving things up for a while and this is a good a time as any to do it.
    A couple of years ago I gave up chocolate and sweets, I think I'd like to do that again.

I'm the same -I'm not religious,but enjoy the personal challenge. I've done chocolate and alcohol for the last 3 years. Alcohol is good and I like not feeling like I have to drink even though I don't drink that much anyway. Chocolate is much more of a challenge!! I also have given up unnecessary spending, which saves a fortune, but is open to interpretation as to what is unnecessary!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Seriously, people look on a religious thing as a diet aid?

Eugh.
  • Hansonian
    Hansonian Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That's a really great thing to give up! Good for you! I struggle with vanity, so that would be a great way to focus on health instead of appearance, too.

I was planning on giving up all manner of desserts! No sweets, candy, cookies, chocolate, cake, etc. But, I might add not weighing myself to the list, too! You should add me if you're ever in need of some motivation! :)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    is that when you lend someone something and they lend something back to you? ;)

*kidding*
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am. It'll be chocolate for me.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    As children in my family, we were encouraged not to give up something (none of us were very good at abstinence), but we were encouraged to take up a good habit. I suppose where it fell down as children was it was rarely measurable. It was generally something like be nicer to your sister. As an adult I still think it is better to phrase things like instead of giving up something to take up a healthy habit. But I suppose when setting targets for myself I try to phrase them in a positive manner, take up healthy eating as opposed to give up unhealthy eating.

Not planning on doing anything, and if I was it wouldn't be health related. I'm already fully committed to changing my health and don't require Lent to encourage me to do so - not that I'm always perfect . I'll probably fast on Good Friday and Ash Wednesday - for us that just means no meat and no snacks - don't eat to excess.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Soda...I'm a soda junkie.