I'm giving up Lent for Lent.
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    yep
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am old-calendar Greek Orthodox, and Great Lent is a very serious fast for us--no meat, fish, eggs or dairy from March 1 ("Clean Monday") till Easter ("Pascha"'). It's quite a challenge--mostly a Vegan diet, though shellfish are allowed. I've been doing it (more or less) for years--I always found it an interesting cooking challenge. I used to lose weight during Lent (usually about 5-7 pounds) till I stopped taking it seriously & started ignoring the restrictions on wine & olive oil (allowed only on weekends). This year I am going to try to really keep the fast, and I'd also like to try giving up wine entirely, with the intent of eating this healthy diet and getting free of the alcohol calories while I'm at it. I need to quit drinking, so I will use Lent as a kick-start.

Of course we are supposed to fast from other stuff, too--judgemental thoughts, laziness, unkindness, self-indulgence, etc. We'll see how it goes.

I am Catholic (but here in the middle east this is how we do it too) ...give up everything that comes from animals (vegan) and we eat fish only on March 25...last year i gained weight for some reason (maybe too much carbs) but I am doing it for spiritual reasons and I will keep it healthy this year :)

Actually I tried to post a thread like this just 5 days ago and got so much sarcasm and people calling me silly...So I guess we shouldn't mind them ..they are just people who don't respect others who are different to them
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious at all but I like the challenge of giving things up for a while and this is a good a time as any to do it.
    A couple of years ago I gave up chocolate and sweets, I think I'd like to do that again.

I'm the same -I'm not religious,but enjoy the personal challenge. I've done chocolate and alcohol for the last 3 years. Alcohol is good and I like not feeling like I have to drink even though I don't drink that much anyway. Chocolate is much more of a challenge!! I also have given up unnecessary spending, which saves a fortune, but is open to interpretation as to what is unnecessary!
    [/quote

Why on EARTH would you give up chocolate, unless you're a masochist???????????????????????????]

Haha! Chocolate is tough! Last year I said I wasn't doing it again as it was too hard! I was suggesting to my daughters that they give up sweets or biscuits - one said she'd rather give up vegetables or school .........:noway:

I will be doing alcohol again - chocolate is still only a maybe!
  • HLAMODEI
    HLAMODEI Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree that Lent may be the perfect opportunity to focus on me and my goals, importance of family and faith. I am going to begin my own 40 day challenge, giving up what tears me down and building up my own strength. I seem to have quite a few "inactive friends" on MFP, could use some active ones for support, feel free to friend me! Please, please!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am Episcopalian. This year I am giving up diet Coke and going meatless on Wednesday in addition to Fridays. I haven't decided what, if anything, I am going to take on yet.
  • ReluctantDieter88
    ReluctantDieter88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Last year, I gave up soda and never went back to it, but I started drinking energy drinks occasionally. I think this year I'll give up alcohol because I drink wayyy too much and it's way too many calories.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    abstaining from excuses this Lent (and beyond).
  • Heathr_WhoLuvzDave
    Options
    My 13 year old daughter wants to give up meat. I'm joining her. Any vegetarian (or meat eaters) may add me for support. I want to make sure to do this right so we stay healthy :)
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Definitely a challenge. I am a Christian and do take it seriously, but have not even been recording properly the past few months. I am going to give up bread and sweets , killing me anyway ,and I am a total addict to diet coke, I am sure I drink almost a 2 l every day. Good time to get control of myself!!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm Caflick! :tongue: Feel free to add me if you are one, too (or even not!)

I think I'm going to try to give up sugar and replace it with natural fruits.
    (Remember, Sundays technically aren't days of Lent, though...) :happy:

Much like the Christmas season, even if you aren't Catholic, you can still observe Lent -- think of it as a time of good will and making a sacrifice for the better of mankind (or even something small like setting a fitness/diet goal for yourself).
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I'm Nazarene, which is pretty close to Methodist. Two years ago for Lent, I did the Daniel Fast - vegan plus no added oils, sweetners, sodas, or yeast. I did my daily Bible study and felt closer to God and my body responded in kind. I was able to stop taking medications that I had taken for over a decade. I felt great, lost weight, and continued with being vegan. A few months after, I discovered this site. After Lent, though, I added the oils, sodas, breads and sweets back in. Here it is, 2 years later and I'm at the same weight as when I began on mfp. This year, I am recommitting myself to eating only whole, unprocessed foods and my daily Bible study.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 (NKJV)
  • lulavenus
    lulavenus Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm an atheist but was raised Catholic.

One lent I served every morning at 7am Mass as an altar girl. By the end of Mass I received about fourteen easter eggs from the priest & some appreciatve members of the congregation.

That was the most fruitful Easter ever!
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not baptised, I've been giving up things for lent these past couple of years, I found this to be a good test of self-control, really.
    I'll give up alcohol and coffee this lent. I'm invited to a wedding on 7th/8th March, so I will have a couple of glasses then, I will just make it up and not drink over Easter!
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm Christian ! I did lent for the first time last year, I gave up all sweets and fizzy juice! I stayed of the fizzy juice mostly but am getting to be an energy drink junky !
    So this year I have a list of things im giving up and things I will be doing (im veggie so meat is out anyway)
    Giving up - Fizzy juice, Sweets, Alcohol, Chips (fries), cheese.
    Doing - Fast every Wed + Friday (500cal days), No Swearing, Start a Lifting Program, Go to Church Every Sunday, Vegan Saturdays

Big list but I think its all doable :)

No swearing, that's excellent, I should give this a go as well!!
  • amyblanx
    Options
    I am not a Catholic but will participate in Lent this year. I am going to give up all junk food and only have it on Special Occasions ( small amounts ). That means none of the following all sweets, take away, pizza, chips, crisps, biscuits, cakes etc.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I always participate in lent...I'm giving up Church.

Best one yet!
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it as I do every year. This year I think I am giving up meat for the 40 days. Last year I gave up my coffee..
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    For the past few years I have been participating in Lent... people ask my why I bother, but I ask them how they can celebrate Christmas without Lent... I mean, sure - only when you benefit. Lent should hurt. It's supposed to hurt. I'm not Catholic though, just a Christian (Anglican).

At any rate....

I've usually worked on vices and foods. Coffee, pizza, chocolate - the usual. But I've already given up most foods on this diet so there wouldn't be any change.

I'm stumped this year what to give up.
    Giving up weighing myself (since I weigh every day) could be a good one - but, it wouldn't hurt. haha.....

So I dunno. Maybe I'll give up being such a nice guy or smoking. Ugh....
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I've given up so many things over the years. This year I think I'll add something: daily yoga practice (every single day!). I'll even try to add meditation to my yoga, which I don't know if I'm good at or not. But daily meditation sounds like a nice thing for Lent.

I'm not Catholic and was only Episcopal for several years for school. I'm closest to the Greeks here, but man their Lent is too hard! Y'all go with your tough selves :) I don't think I could give up so much.