Bananas? ...Yea or nay?

Options
There seems to be a lot of controversy over bananas and losing weight. I hear some people say you shouldn't eat them if you are trying to cut down on belly fat and others say there is nothing wrong with them.

as far as fruits go they are high on the glycemic scale but they are also loaded with potassium which I think helps with muscle cramps.

I would like to hear what you think of banana's....

Replies

• PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I love bananas and if they fit into my day, then I eat them all the time. I have yogurt and a banana for breakfast quite often.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    They are delicious either fresh or sliced and frozen. My current favorite treat is frozen bananas, frozen pineapples, a 1/2 cup of almond milk and greek yogurt.. blended up, it's ice cream!
  • 4mricandy
    4mricandy Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Take away my banana and there will be trouble!
  • Ellyssandra
    Options
    Bananas are great! They are healthy and delicious. Not a hindrance to weight loss at all :)
  • Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I love bananas...I slice them up on my cereal in the morning...I still seem to be losing belly fat, and that's where I want to lose it the most!!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Eat bananas, as long as they fit in your intake. They are affordable, portable, and versatile. I can get away with one or two a day, but then I have to tell myself no to make room for some protein.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yea! I ate bananas when I was heavier and all throughout my weight loss, the bananas weren't the problem, it was all the other crap I was eating! One banana a day for me in a smoothie, oatmeal, yogurt or just as a snack, love 'em!
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am interested in other peoples opinion on this one as well. Not sure why they are getting such a bad wrap over other fruits? As someone said they are high in Vit K and I was re-introducing bananas into my diet to boost this Vit. I think "timing" of eating them is probably more of the issue like choosing right food combos eg. Avoiding carbs with coffee. Bananas are a great "pick-me up" the only objectionable thing is not to leave the skins in your office waste basket as they can smell.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic here diagnosed in 2009, I have since a began this jounrney and will continue to eat atleast 2 banana's a day, it has not hindered my weight loss in the least (atleast I don't think it has). Nothing wrong with them in my eyes.... Best of Luck

edited to add my a1c's average 5.3.....
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I always have one as part of my post-workout.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    i eat one or two a day...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good and tasty.

Unless they're being used as a basis for "pancakes" (mashed bananas + egg |= pancakes).
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    A German MD told my constipated friend (yes, my friend, not me) that bananas are good for constipation.
    Mostly I don't like bananas. They are just perfectly ripe and delicious for about two seconds, but the rest of their lives they are either under-ripe and tasteless or over-ripe and slimy. Ew!
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Love bananas and have always heard they were a supper fruit. Unfortunately I am allergic to them so can only have a couple bites. I do often slice up about a 1/2 piece on my cereal.
  • charlicee
    Options
    Bananas have a bad rap with some people who claim it gives them indigestion and constipation (and sometimes others who say it gives them diarrhea). However, some of these same people (some I know personally) also drink lots of milk with their beverage of choice, eat loads of processed crap, take various medications...so instead they blame the banana rather than all the junk they love that causes their stomach issues. I thought bananas made me loose, especially when it was that and three cups of black, unsweetened coffee I would often have for breakfast. When I finally dismissed coffee, dairy, and grains from my diet, the diarrhea went away, and my feces were normal.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    I just don't like bananas. As far as potassium kiwi has more. But there is nothing wrong with bananas if they fit your cals and life.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i think only good things about bananas.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Love bananas--don't seem to be hurting my weight loss.

I think the people who say that about bananas and belly fat are the type to read that ad that pops up a lot: "Don't eat these 5 foods or you'll die in the next 3 minutes!!!1!!!" and take it as truth.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Love bananas--don't seem to be hurting my weight loss.

I think the people who say that about bananas and belly fat are the type to read that ad that pops up a lot: "Don't eat these 5 foods or you'll die in the next 3 minutes!!!1!!!" and take it as truth.

Great now its popping up on my page... :grumble:
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Yea. High in potassium.