Is your Goal FASHION or FITNESS? (perfect woman 171lbs)

Whilst working out my weight in google I stumbled on this interesting article from 1912:

"The 1912’s Perfect Woman Weighed 171 Lbs (77 Kg) at 5 Feet 7 Inches (170 Cm)"
http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-1912-s-Perfect-Woman-Weighed-171-Lbs-77-Kg-at-5-Ft-7-In-170-Cm-317002.shtml

I "think" I over weight - but my weight is probably not affecting my health.

So my motivation is FASHION - I am motivated by media, thinking that if I loose weight I might find love and settle down.

So here is a quick survey ! Wahoo :)

Is your MAIN goal :

FITNESS (you set your goal using bmi etc, you want to be active, doctors advice)

or

FASHION (perceived sex appeal, how you think you should look)

Please reply FASHION or FITNESS & any comments, I will tot up the results on Friday
:)

Replies

• miriyummy
    miriyummy Posts: 37 Member
    Yes. I'm going for "perceived sex appeal". So I should grow 6 inches in height and put on 50lbs. Ok, now I know. Thanks.
  • Honestly, for me it's fashion. My BMI is 23.7 so I'm not overweight but I could definitely look a lot better both naked and in clothes.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Fitness, definitely.

It's nice being able to wear smaller clothes and have a bigger variety of places to shop. But it's even better to not worry about getting tired or keeping up with other people. I've also picked up a very physical hobby in the past 6 months (see profile picture) and being fitter has allowed me to progress. I LOVE pole and I don't want to give it up, so that is a huge motivating factor for me to keep the weight off and improve my fitness levels.

As far as fashion goes, eh. Like I said, it's nice and all, but I'm pretty clued in on where to get fat girl fashion. I don't think I would have suffered in that regard if I stayed fat. And as far as the *media* goes, I couldn't care less about it.
  • Fashion for sure, fitness comes with it anyway.
    I am tired of not daring to walk in my bikini on holliday!
  • WannaLookGudNiv
    WannaLookGudNiv Posts: 16 Member
    Well on the long run its fitness thats gonna matter but for now I guess I will go with fashion :)
  • valmegb
    valmegb Posts: 38 Member
    Fitness

It makes me feel good to be a good role model or my kids to be active and fit. I can do soo much more now than 3 years ago when I weighed 2 stone more.

My kids love the fact that I can do anything now!
  • Cath2907
    Cath2907 Posts: 11 Member
    Fashion I guess. My BMI had just crept over 25 so a cut back week would have been all I needed to bring me back into "healthy". I want to feel like me again, to feel confident when walking around naked in the house, to feel attractive to my husband, to look good in a bikini, to fit in last summers clothes when the sun finally shows it's face. I am 36 now and worry that if I don't curb the weight gain I'll soon stop being a little plump but healthy and soon start being a "fat" mummy. My weight has crept up and up since having Ellie 3 years ago. I now weigh more than I did at 9 months pregnant.... that can't be right.
    Oh and I weigh a little less than the 1920s perfect woman and I am 5ft 7inches.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Fitness for me :smile:
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    BEAST-NESS!!!!!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I'm so close to 1912 ideal! Thing I'd have trouble finding jeans to fit with a 30 inch waist and 40 inch hips, though!
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Well.. both of it.

I started out of Fashion reasons and I surely won't deny that they are still important to me. For the first time in years I am around a weight I feel comfortable. Even though it were "just" 5-10kg more, I always felt highly uncomfortable.

But besides this, it starts to annoy me how weak I feel. I have little power, especially in my arms and this is something I want to train, where I want to get better. I want to feel strong and alive.

So for me, I cannot 100% distinguish between those two, so let's just say it's for getting healthy :happy:
  • fashion, at first ( my bmi went from 24.5 to 18,4) but I am certainly enjoying my more toned legs, so fitness too
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I'd say fitness mostly. I just want to be strong and perform well in my chosen sports. I want to actually do things rather than just look like I can.

How I look in terms of how I myself want to look is important too. I have aesthetic goals, but I couldn't care less about how I "should" look, or what society or other people think.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    I'm so close to 1912 ideal! Thing I'd have trouble finding jeans to fit with a 30 inch waist and 40 inch hips, though!

Lol! The 1912 height/weight ideal is my goal, essentially - I'm just 1/2 an inch taller. Honestly, while I know that most of the long-term advantages will come from fitness, my main motivation is fashion, right now - I want to wear (or not wear!) what I want, without feeling self-conscious about how my body looks.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Fitness, which is just as well as I'm 6.5 inches too short and 73lb too light for that perceived perfection!
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Fitness - I want to make certain health issues either 1) disappear or 2) Easier to manage.

Once that goal is met... then we may talk about fashion as a second goal. :)
  • ashm233
    ashm233 Posts: 56 Member

Lol! The 1912 height/weight ideal is my goal, essentially - I'm just 1/2 an inch taller. Honestly, while I know that most of the long-term advantages will come from fitness, my main motivation is fashion, right now - I want to wear (or not wear!) what I want, without feeling self-conscious about how my body looks.

ditto. They go hand in hand. But body image is huge (no pun intended)
  • If I'm going to be completely honest, fashion. I don't feel comfortable in my body, I hate pictures of myself, and I would like to one day date a guy who isn't smaller than me. That being said, I am using fitness to get there. They go hand in hand. My current goal is fitness but my ultimate goal is fashion.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Fitness is the long-term motivation, but fashion, or at least self-confidence about my looks, played a part in getting me started. I have a couple of amazing cocktail dresses that I want to fit into again, and I wasn't keen on realizing I cringed whenever my husband touched my belly. (FWIW, he likes my little round belly and I think that's awesome...but I'm happier now that's it's a little less round.)
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Fashion, for sure. I was plenty fit when I was 20 lbs overweight.

You don't have to be thin to be strong and have lots of endurance.