Gained 2 pounds in one day. Help?

Options
I usually eat around 1400-1600 calories a day, but yesterday overate by around 200-300. I ended up eating 1800 calories. Yesterday I was 115 pounds, but this morning I'm 117. I don't know why or how this happened. I haven't gone over 116 pounds in 2 months and it's definitely not the tom. I didn't even over-eat on my sodium intake for the day. Looks like I have a really slow metabolism. I didn't know overeating by a mere 200 calories and having a low sodium diet would cause a 2 pound weight gain. Help?

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You did not gain 2 pounds. Fluctuations happen, mostly from sodium/water retention. I overindulged (by much, much more than you) on Saturday. Sunday's weigh-in showed that I had "gained" 4 pounds. Today, I've already "lost" 3 of that. After taking yesterday and today as light days, I'll feel right on track. (And I really, really overindulged--like by 2,000+ calories!)

No need to worry. You're going to see this kind of fluctuation--even when you don't eat extra--for the rest of your life.
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    maybe too much salt I know that can cause you to bloat a bit afterwords
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Did you know water weighs 8 lbs per gallon?

There are 16 8 oz glasses in a gallon. 2 lbs equates to 4 8 oz glasses.

So a 2 pound weight differential might be attributed to water retention? Calories in, calories out. It's physics. 3500 calories is a pound.

I can go up 2-3 pounds on the scale on any given day...eventually...it goes down over the longhaul
  • haleeyabbott
    Options
    You might gain weight in a day. but all you have to do it work out.
    Eat small amounts of it. and what helps me is eating every 3 to 4 hours but only like a piece of fruit, or like veggies
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Two data points do not make a trend. There can be several reasons why there is an increase (or decrease) from one day to the next. Some, but certainly not all, include water retention and undigested food. If you are going to weigh yourself daily, you should wait until you have several data points before observing the trend, 1-2 weeks should do. Also you could look at taking measurements as well to get a better, overall picture. My opinion only, your results may vary.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    no you didnt.
  • CJSkellz
    CJSkellz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 7000 calories over what you burned, you did not gain two pounds of fat.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself every day. Once a week will suffice.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, but I can guarantee you it's not actual fat you have gained, it will be, as others have mentioned, water retention.

Try taking measurements, avoid the scale for a week, then weigh yourself, in the morning, before you drink or eat anything, and preferably after you have used the bathroom/restroom.

As CJ said, to gain 2lbs of fat, you would have had to have eaten 7000 calories over your maintenance.

Don't sweat it!
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You did not gain 2 pounds. Fluctuations happen, mostly from sodium/water retention. I overindulged (by much, much more than you) on Saturday. Sunday's weigh-in showed that I had "gained" 4 pounds. Today, I've already "lost" 3 of that. After taking yesterday and today as light days, I'll feel right on track. (And I really, really overindulged--like by 2,000+ calories!)

No need to worry. You're going to see this kind of fluctuation--even when you don't eat extra--for the rest of your life.

Agree with this post. This is why my "weight" is done by average - I weigh daily and take an average of 7 days to get what I consider my true weight. I frequently swing up and down by 1-3 lbs. Just keep on keeping on with your plan, and don't sweat it unless it's a consistent trend up for several days.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned, it's likely water weight and undigested food. I gained 4lbs yesterday. It'll be off by Tuesday or Wednesday (or perhaps you underate on Saturday which made yesterday's weight lower than it should have been).

Weight fluctuations happen for many reasons.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking a dump.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    That is nothing. Try 5-8 pounds. That is after I eat (salty foods), drink lots of water and weigh myself. LOL
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

This and everything that has been said previously. Also, don't be an obsessive monster.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You might gain weight in a day. but all you have to do it work out.
    Eat small amounts of it. and what helps me is eating every 3 to 4 hours but only like a piece of fruit, or like veggies

OP you do not have to do this..:huh:
    Keep doing what you're doing...you DID NOT gain 2lbs of FAT in a day..:glasses:
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    That is nothing. Try 5-8 pounds. That is after I eat (salty foods), drink lots of water and weigh myself. LOL

:laugh: :wink: :laugh: :sad: :bigsmile:
    Same for me I had a really nice salt cod dish the other day (maybe a 600 calorie dinner) I gained 5 pounds Sodium is a bugger for retention
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Weight can change +- 5 lbs in a day. 2 lbs from one day to the next shouldn't be taken as a red flag. Chances are that the extra 200-300 calories helped increase some glycogen/water stores in your body. Take a deep breath and relax a little. Keep doing what you had been doing and it will all be fine in the long run. The scale is a single data point that is influenced by a large number of factors that are often out of your control (primarily body functions). It can only be seen as a tool for observing a trend over time, not a day to day representation of progress.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options

This, Drinking lots of water, Water weight !!
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 7000 calories over what you burned, you did not gain two pounds of fat.

Bingo.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I took a weekend off to just enjoy my vacation and eat at maintenance. I "gained" 8 pounds in 3 days because:

I ate a lot of salt and it retains water
    I ate a lot more breads/carby goodness than usual
    I exercised by walking around a LOT and my muscles retained water
    I didn't drink as much water as usual and dehydration causes, you guessed it, retained water
    I ate a lot more than usual so I had extra food weight hanging around, too

If you go back to your usual routine the extra weight will just fall off in a couple of days so I would advise not worrying about it and just moving on.