Frustrated doesn't even begin to cover it

Options
I have been dieting for about 2 months and working out for almost a month. The first month of dieting I was eating 1500 calories a day which was about a deficit of 1,000 calories. I lost 8 pounds. This last month I have added working out. I was eating 1500 cals and working out 5 days a week. Treadmill and some strength training. A week goes by no weightloss. I up my calories in fear I am not eating enough. I kick the workouts up a notch. I start to fluctuate. Up a pound then back down then up again. I weigh daily to see if I am on the right track. I am staying in my calorie range except on my one cheat day. I work out 5 days a week at least. I don't get how I can cut calories that much and workout creating a bigger deficit and not lose. It has never been this hard. I am sure I have built some muscle, but still I should have lost more. 8 pounds it not enough weightloss to create a plateau. It is way too early. Suggestions? My diary isn't open. I need to open it up, but I am bad about doing the quick cals, so it wouldn't help anyone to see it really.

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    The first month is a gimme--it's mostly water weight loss. It feels great to lose at that rate but it raises expectations--sorry about that. You will certainly see fluctuations in your weight--just like the Dow Jones Average--your graph will look like a saw tooth. If you are exercising more that in the past, your fluid levels will be all over the place.

Without access to your data I'm guessing but I'd be willing to bet that your estimates on intake and exercise are not accurate. You give yourself a cheat day (I am against cheat days), I'm wondering if there is other "cheating" going on. You have to be really anal about this measuring and logging stuff. Condiments and underestimation of portion size will kill your results. I eat yogurt from a measuring cup! You also upped your calories because you thought you weren't eating enough. Mistake! There is a MFP myth out there that you will go into starvation mode if your don't eat enough. Bull! Unless you are in a concentration camp it is highly unlikely you are going into starvation mode. You are eating too much. When you are eating at a level in which you lose 1-2 pounds a week you will feel it. You will feel hungry from time to time, you may even experience a bit of light-headedness once in a while. This means your blood sugar is low and you are operating in deficit--the trick is keeping this to a minimum. Follow what MFP is telling you and be accurate--think in terms of net calories--not total calories and you will lose weight.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Your post is why I have chosen not to count calories as religiously as I did in the past. I am not trying to offend, but the tone of your post almost seems to be borderline obsession with a number-- whether it's your calories or your weight. I also don't check my weight each day because it gets frustrating, like you said.

I would re-examine the kinds of food you are eating because exercising that much should produce more weight loss. Chances are, you might be gaining muscle weight which is why you aren't seeing the scale budge. Have you measured your body at all to track changes?
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    The "quick add cals" is a dead giveaway that you aren't logging accurately, hence your problem.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    It sounds like when you started tweaking your routine (upping calories, changing exercise) you didn't wait long enough to see if the changes would help or not. Upping your exercise can create water weight from glycogen storage, and that water weight can mask true fat loss.

I agree with the poster who suggested you may not be measuring your portions correctly. And you said you did quick add calories, I avoid doing those because it's not helpful or accurate for my logging. You also should doublecheck any entries from the food database---I've found several entries were way off in fat and calorie counts, and i had to adjust for that. Not everybody enters accurate info into the database.

TL; DR; measure your portions (food scale is best), and if you change your routine give it time to have an effect on your progress.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The "quick add cals" is a dead giveaway that you aren't logging accurately, hence your problem.

This along with you aren't giving the exercise water retention time to go away and you keep changing things up.

Pick your calories and measure your food and eat your calories, exercise and log it.

If you are truly eating 1500 and logging it accruately even without exercise you will lose weight.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    The first month is a gimme--it's mostly water weight loss. It feels great to lose at that rate but it raises expectations--sorry about that. You will certainly see fluctuations in your weight--just like the Dow Jones Average--your graph will look like a saw tooth. If you are exercising more that in the past, your fluid levels will be all over the place.

Without access to your data I'm guessing but I'd be willing to bet that your estimates on intake and exercise are not accurate. You give yourself a cheat day (I am against cheat days), I'm wondering if there is other "cheating" going on. You have to be really anal about this measuring and logging stuff. Condiments and underestimation of portion size will kill your results. I eat yogurt from a measuring cup! You also upped your calories because you thought you weren't eating enough. Mistake! There is a MFP myth out there that you will go into starvation mode if your don't eat enough. Bull! Unless you are in a concentration camp it is highly unlikely you are going into starvation mode. You are eating too much. When you are eating at a level in which you lose 1-2 pounds a week you will feel it. You will feel hungry from time to time, you may even experience a bit of light-headedness once in a while. This means your blood sugar is low and you are operating in deficit--the trick is keeping this to a minimum. Follow what MFP is telling you and be accurate--think in terms of net calories--not total calories and you will lose weight.
    I posted a while back that I couldn't believe how much I lost the first month it WAS water weight. its annoying but true, plus realistically losing that much AFTER water weight would probably be dangerous, like the movie "Thinner".

and about condiments, unless your just slapping on mayo all the time stuff like ketchup is so small in calories its almost not a big deal not to add them. and yeah, some people will say to eat ALL your calories it makes sense, and you should, but not if you eat the right food that fills you, also don't force yourself to eat all your calories back.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It sounds like when you started tweaking your routine (upping calories, changing exercise) you didn't wait long enough to see if the changes would help or not. Upping your exercise can create water weight from glycogen storage, and that water weight can mask true fat loss.

I agree with the poster who suggested you may not be measuring your portions correctly. And you said you did quick add calories, I avoid doing those because it's not helpful or accurate for my logging. You also should doublecheck any entries from the food database---I've found several entries were way off in fat and calorie counts, and i had to adjust for that. Not everybody enters accurate info into the database.

TL; DR; measure your portions (food scale is best), and if you change your routine give it time to have an effect on your progress.

^All of this.
  • goku89
    Options
    I feel weighing yourself should be done the same rate as to when you get paid for your job, i.e. every week, every other week you need a life outside.
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    And stop jiggling things every week...why do so many people here do that? Find a program and stick with for 3 months or more than reassess and change as needed.
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I feel weighing yourself should be done the same rate as to when you get paid for your job, i.e. every week, every other week you need a life outside.

i get paid once a month!!! THE HORROR!
  • PlayBall5
    Options
    I know the cardinal sin is to weigh yourself everyday but that is what I have done for the last couple of months. Since January 1st, I have weighed and tracked myself everyday when I first get out of bed. There are some days when I gain 2 lbs which is very frustrating but when I look back 1 week I am always less then the week before. This also motivates me on the days I gain, to work extra harder in the gym and watch more closely what I eat for the day. I have lost an average of 2 lbs a week and today I am only 2 lbs from my goal weight. I know tomorrow morning I will have gained a little but I know by Saturday I will have reached my goal weight. I have even convinced myself that the days I gain weight, it is a good thing because I know for the next couple days after that I am going to lose big. I have also found that high intensity interval training is the way to go. The lbs have come off fast after I received this advice from someone on MFP. Good luck to you and dont get frustrated. Keep working hard
  • goku89
    Options

i get paid once a month!!! THE HORROR!
    lol then divide that by two
    I was weighing myself monthly last year...I just do my thing and work and have a life if I constantly worry about this stuff i'll lose my mind
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I up my calories in fear I am not eating enough. I kick the workouts up a notch. I start to fluctuate. Up a pound then back down then up again.

It seems you've answered your own question - you've most likely upped your calories too much for your activity level.

Over-eating calorie burns is a very common event in the MFP universe...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can't know how much you're actually eating until you start weighing everything, so I'd start with that.

And no you're no building muscle unless you're eating at maintenance.
  • luvmypuggle
    Options
    I do not cheat outside of my cheat day. It is really just a cheat meal. Usually it is a weekend night and I eat well all day up until the cheat meal. I know a lot are against cheat days, but it is a good way for me not to feel deprived. I am pretty anal on my calorie tracking. I am dedicated to making this life change. I read you shouldn't eat below your BMR. Mine is in the 1800 range. I was eating 1500 when I bumped up. What are your thoughts on BMR and TDEE? I know this first month is the fastest as far as dropping pounds, but stalling out this early seems crazy.
  • luvmypuggle
    Options
    No, I am going to start measuring soon since the scale isn't budging. I want to see if inches are coming off.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I read you shouldn't eat below your BMR. Mine is in the 1800 range.

That is very unlikely. I'm a 6'1" male and mine is only 1900ish.

It all comes back to the same thing - if you're not losing weight, you're not eating at a deficit.
  • luvmypuggle
    Options
    You are incorrect. I log my calories very precisely. It is just much easier to add it all together and put in one number instead of everything individual. I can gather the nutritional info from the label or a website if it is a restaurant. The numbers are so varied on here for a lot of foods that I go by labels anyway.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I do not cheat outside of my cheat day. It is really just a cheat meal.

There is nothing wrong with a meal to treat yourself. But if you aren't tracking that meal, then you don't know if it's throwing off your calories for the week. You simply don't know. I can eat 2000 calories in one meal. Easy. Without blinking an eye. Especially if I've been starving myself for every meal before it. If you aren't tracking carefully, then there's no way to know if your results are what you should expect.

Eating below your BMR is rarely advisable. And only a reasonable option for obese people with more than 100# of fat to lose.
  • luvmypuggle
    Options
    Yes, that is why I use labels and do the quick add. The calories are so varied on here for lots of stuff. I mean how do you really know. That is why I use the label or break it down from websites and then quick add, so I am not adding 50 ingredients a day.