YOGA - any yogis here?

Options
2»

Replies

• minimalistmom
    Options
    I love yoga myself. I did yoga all through my pregnancy and after my 4 week postpartum check-up, the mat and I have a date daily once again. Until then, I'm working on my meditation.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I have a huge love for Yoga! Practice at least 5 times a week.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    No one has posted a gif of Yogi Bear yet? Slackers . . .:tongue:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do love it. I need to make more time for it.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
  • yoginimary
    Options

I need the one that would be the least strenuos on my knees. They are very unstable as I have no ACL's.

Find a good teacher that would give you modifications, that's where I would start.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    <-- every day
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I want to do it. Where do I start?
    It's probably best to find a class as the instructor and advice helps.
    If you can't find a class you just need a mat and a DVD - but I think that would be harder as a beginner as you won't be able to watch the DVD while upside down lol.
    You will have to research the different types of yoga too. Hatha yoga is more gentle but if you want something more energetic, astanga or power yoga are good. I don't know about other kinds, sorry.

I would say you could use a book as well, but it's best to go to a teacher.

Here are some yoga styles:
    http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/165
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Use to do Bikram Yoga and had an amazing body because of it..
    I stopped because its so expensive but thinking of getting back into yoga just not bikram
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I want to do it. Where do I start?
    It's probably best to find a class as the instructor and advice helps.
    If you can't find a class you just need a mat and a DVD - but I think that would be harder as a beginner as you won't be able to watch the DVD while upside down lol.
    You will have to research the different types of yoga too. Hatha yoga is more gentle but if you want something more energetic, astanga or power yoga are good. I don't know about other kinds, sorry.

I would say you could use a book as well, but it's best to go to a teacher.

Here are some yoga styles:
    http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/165
    Please, please, please don't try to learn yoga without taking classes. You can seriously injure yourself if your form is off and it is not easy even for seasoned yogis to feel if their form is right.
  • Crescent_Meadows
    Crescent_Meadows Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i do hot (but not bikram) yoga two times a week. I can feel my stress melting away as I'm doing it. It's also helped me become conscious of my breathing, which I use to relieve anxiety and also to increase my endurance while running or lifting. I'm still a beginner, so I work to get deeper into each pose every class and focus on timing my breathe with my movements.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I need the one that would be the least strenuos on my knees. They are very unstable as I have no ACL's.

Find a good teacher that would give you modifications, that's where I would start.

I agree. If you have any health issues, you definitely need a yoga teacher for advice, rather than making your own workout at home.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This book is an introduction to very gentle yoga for over 40s! There are a few gentle poses in here. Still it is better to go to a class, but this book is interesting and is about more than just the poses. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Life-Strong-Flexible-Balanced/dp/0857830430 there is info about relaxation, meditation and mindful eating.