Why Bulletproof Coffee is BS Coffee

Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Paleo/Primal folks buying into a pseudo scientific fad? Why i never...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh0xB4OJdpQ&feature=youtu.be&t=2h18m10s

Replies

• I'm sad I can't watch this.

No, no I'm not.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Bump to watch later (and in for the drama).
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    f1638d7e4935862fcb8c516a2a3935b6e84018e42d8f1abb3e568d0cc76bb3f4.jpg
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    f1638d7e4935862fcb8c516a2a3935b6e84018e42d8f1abb3e568d0cc76bb3f4.jpg

*you're :tongue:

I hate when I find the perfect gif, and they misspell something.

I had a friend here who used to talk about drinking this all the time. Too bad he's not here anymore to see this.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    In.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    wait... is the COFFEE bulletproof.... or will it make ME bulletproof?

follow up: if it makes me bulletproof, will I weigh as much as if I were made of Kevlar?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Anyone want to summarize so I don't have to watch a video?
  • neuro_nut
    neuro_nut Posts: 78 Member
    wait, i thought "bulletproof coffee" was used to describe adding butter to coffee... is this something else?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    I'm not that far in yet, but the claims that microtoxins are what makes the coffee bitter are untrue, it's the tannins. The processing of the bean kills the mold that causes bacteria.

ETA that that's what I've gotten from it so far.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Anyone want to summarize so I don't have to watch a video?

One of JRE's sponsors is, apparently, Bulletproof Coffee (or what/whomever). The manufacturer makes BS claims about microtoxins in other coffees. Joe Rogan has some random bags of coffee tested and no microtoxins are found. JRE still is sponsored by the manufacturer, but JRE no longer spouts the benefits of Bulletproof Coffee, as they found out that it is basically a bunch of BS.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Can someone tell me what bulletproof coffee is? Is it like foolproof or something? Or it makes you bulletproof?

I'm not watching some two and a half hour video on this, especially when the first thing I see is Joe Rogan or whatever his name is.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Can someone tell me what bulletproof coffee is?

It's overpriced coffee. That's all.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Is this the coffee with grassfed butter and coconut oil added to it?

I'm at work and get watch the video.

I don't get the point of adding butter or coconut oil to your coffee...
    Unless you really suck at hitting your fat macro...

Hmm,.. *strokes chin* maybe I should do that to hit my fat macro...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    I'm guessing the video is referring to the coffee beans sold by the guy who came up with the label "bulletproof coffee" and not the generalized coffee drink made with some combination of pasture butter/cream/MCT/coconut oil/etc.?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Is this the coffee with grassfed butter and coconut oil added to it?

You don't need to buy special coffee to do it either. I put butter and coconut oil in my coffee every morning, along with sugar-free creamer and carb-free sweetener. I shake it to make it mix better, but heard a blender can do just as well. LOVE it!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    That’s because toxins in cheap coffee will steal your mental edge and actually make you weak, but clean coffee actually fights cancer and provides antioxidants.

Lol

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/
  • Is this the coffee with grassfed butter and coconut oil added to it?

If you aren't going to workout in the morning, you can actually have it in place of a traditional breakfast and it will keep you both satiated, and in the state of ketosis you were in when you woke up (presuming you aren't diabetic, of course). Theoretically, since you're body will keep burning fat for fuel, you can drop some body fat.

You don't want to do it on days you will be doing a hard workout in the morning because then you'll need soem protein and carbs.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    I thought Joe Rogan was the guy from Fear Factor so bullet proof coffee took on a life of its own in my mind....
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    I thought Joe Rogan was the guy from Fear Factor so bullet proof coffee took on a life of its own in my mind....

Joe Rogan was indeed the guy from Fear Factor...

He is also a very successful stand-up comedian, trained mixed-martial artist, color commentator for UFC (which he is awesome at), and activist for marijuana and other hallucinogens...

He's an eclectic dude who is not afraid to question the status quo, and admit when he's wrong. Be a cool guy to have a few beers with, for sure.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member

Joe Rogan was indeed the guy from Fear Factor...

He is also a very successful stand-up comedian, trained mixed-martial artist, color commentator for UFC (which he is awesome at), and activist for marijuana and other hallucinogens...

He's an eclectic dude who is not afraid to question the status quo, and admit when he's wrong. Be a cool guy to have a few beers with, for sure.

That's him? I looked at the video and couldn't tell--he's totally bald now. I guess fear was a factor.

Well good for him, I loved him on New Radio (if you're old enough to remember that...). Glad to hear he's more than a B-list celeb.

Meanwhile--I have tried coconut oil in my coffee. Not that it's related here, but it was weird. My lips were all oily afterward :grumble:

*News Radio