Why Bulletproof Coffee is BS Coffee

Replies

• bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 227 Member
    hFDA06B82
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Is this the coffee with grassfed butter and coconut oil added to it?

I'm at work and get watch the video.

I don't get the point of adding butter or coconut oil to your coffee...
    Unless you really suck at hitting your fat macro...

Hmm,.. *strokes chin* maybe I should do that to hit my fat macro...

If you aren't going to workout in the morning, you can actually have it in place of a traditional breakfast and it will keep you both satiated, and in the state of ketosis you were in when you woke up (presuming you aren't diabetic, of course). Theoretically, since you're body will keep burning fat for fuel, you can drop some body fat.

You don't want to do it on days you will be doing a hard workout in the morning because then you'll need soem protein and carbs.

I'd question the "keep burning body fat" part of that theoretical statement. You may increase fat oxidation but you're increasing fat intake. Suggesting that this results in greater body fat loss is misleading.
  • It is definitely BS. But it's delicious to make with just the coffee I have at home (just regular beans that I grind and press -- no special paleo-mirco-toxin-free-scammy-beans).... But I do it differently with some gelatin powder, butter or coconut oil, and cinnamon. Makes a café latte type thing if you froth it in the blender. A good treat.
  • Is this the coffee with grassfed butter and coconut oil added to it?

I'm at work and get watch the video.

I don't get the point of adding butter or coconut oil to your coffee...
    Unless you really suck at hitting your fat macro...

Hmm,.. *strokes chin* maybe I should do that to hit my fat macro...

If you aren't going to workout in the morning, you can actually have it in place of a traditional breakfast and it will keep you both satiated, and in the state of ketosis you were in when you woke up (presuming you aren't diabetic, of course). Theoretically, since you're body will keep burning fat for fuel, you can drop some body fat.

You don't want to do it on days you will be doing a hard workout in the morning because then you'll need soem protein and carbs.

I'd question the "keep burning body fat" part of that theoretical statement. You may increase fat oxidation but you're increasing fat intake. Suggesting that this results in greater body fat loss is misleading.

Why, per se? Assuming you're not diabetic, your body is in a ketogenic state when you wake. If you avoid immediate intake of simple and complex carbs, the body will continue to use fat as fuel. Whether you consume fat or not, that will remain true. Whether you have bulletproof coffee or some good black coffee will only affect how much fat your body has available to burn. If the coffee doesn't exceed your energy requirements for the day, the overall difference will be one of more fat used for fuel.

Also, you can then save your simple and complex carbs for around your workout, when they can be most beneficial to performance and recovery.

Further, the coconut oil is a rich source of MCT, which actually contribute to LBM when used in place of many other fats in the diet.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Why, per se? Assuming you're not diabetic, your body is in a ketogenic state when you wake. If you avoid immediate intake of simple and complex carbs, the body will continue to use fat as fuel. Whether you consume fat or not, that will remain true. Whether you have bulletproof coffee or some good black coffee will only affect how much fat your body has available to burn. If the coffee doesn't exceed your energy requirements for the day, the overall difference will be one of more fat used for fuel.

Also, you can then save your simple and complex carbs for around your workout, when they can be most beneficial to performance and recovery.

Further, the coconut oil is a rich source of MCT, which actually contribute to LBM when used in place of many other fats in the diet.

So if you consume 250 calories worth of fat shortly after waking, versus consuming 250 calories of carbs, which will result in your body burning more body fat (this doesn't include the fat you just consumed) and why?
  • So if you consume 250 calories worth of fat shortly after waking, versus consuming 250 calories of carbs, which will result in your body burning more body fat (this doesn't include the fat you just consumed) and why?

Where did you see me assert that? Reread what I actually wrote.

And, really, why would you assumed someone would put more than 2 tablespoons of anything into a mug of coffee?
  • jonnythan
    So if you consume 250 calories worth of fat shortly after waking, versus consuming 250 calories of carbs, which will result in your body burning more body fat (this doesn't include the fat you just consumed) and why?

And, really, why would you assumed someone would put more than 2 tablespoons of anything into a mug of coffee?

I'm just asking you if there will be a difference in body fat oxidation with xx calories from dietary fat vs same calories from carbs in the AM.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    The Nepalese put rancid yak butter in their tea.

Yes, it tastes as gross as it sounds....
  • So if you consume 250 calories worth of fat shortly after waking, versus consuming 250 calories of carbs, which will result in your body burning more body fat (this doesn't include the fat you just consumed) and why?

I'm just asking you if there will be a difference in body fat oxidation with xx calories from dietary fat vs same calories from carbs in the AM.

You really don't understand the premise. The usefulness of bulletproof coffee is, other than the advantages of coconut oil's MCTs over other types of oil one can consume, one of timing, not of sourcing of calories. It does not involve swapping out xx calories of carbohydrates for xx calories of fats in one's daily food intake. It is quite simply rearranging your fats to contribute to fat loss and your carbs to contribute best to performance and recovery.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    I thought Joe Rogan was the guy from Fear Factor so bullet proof coffee took on a life of its own in my mind....

Joe Rogan was indeed the guy from Fear Factor...

He is also a very successful stand-up comedian, trained mixed-martial artist, color commentator for UFC (which he is awesome at), and activist for marijuana and other hallucinogens...

He's an eclectic dude who is not afraid to question the status quo, and admit when he's wrong. Be a cool guy to have a few beers with, for sure.

Except for that time he got into the epic forum fight with some kid, and was all "IM JOE ROGAN" as if it matters? It was linked all over, but like 10 years ago so I'm probably the only one that remembers. :sad:
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member

You really don't understand the premise. The usefulness of bulletproof coffee is, other than the advantages of coconut oil's MCTs over other types of oil one can consume, one of timing, not of sourcing of calories. It does not involve swapping out xx calories of carbohydrates for xx calories of fats in one's daily food intake. It is quite simply rearranging your fats to contribute to fat loss and your carbs to contribute best to performance and recovery.

That doesn't make any sense. If you consume fat in the morning, you'll burn (or rather, oxidise) that fat for energy. If you consume carbs, your body will burn those. Not your body fat. Unless you're in a caloric deficit in which case it would be doing anyway, regardless of ketosis or anything else.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    I thought Joe Rogan was the guy from Fear Factor so bullet proof coffee took on a life of its own in my mind....

Joe Rogan was indeed the guy from Fear Factor...

He is also a very successful stand-up comedian, trained mixed-martial artist, color commentator for UFC (which he is awesome at), and activist for marijuana and other hallucinogens...

He's an eclectic dude who is not afraid to question the status quo, and admit when he's wrong. Be a cool guy to have a few beers with, for sure.

Except for that time he got into the epic forum fight with some kid, and was all "IM JOE ROGAN" as if it matters? It was linked all over, but like 10 years ago so I'm probably the only one that remembers. :sad:

I can never decide if Joe's a cool guy, a **** or both. What I do know is he's infinitely better than Mike Goldberg who just rattles off trivia during the fight. :laugh:
  • jonnythan

How does consuming fat increase fat loss?
  • That doesn't make any sense. If you consume fat in the morning, you'll burn (or rather, oxidise) that fat for energy. If you consume carbs, your body will burn those. Not your body fat. Unless you're in a caloric deficit in which case it would be doing anyway, regardless of ketosis or anything else.

Your body is burning fat, body fat, when you awake in ketosis. When you consume carbs upon rising, your body switches to using carbs as fuel instead and will not switch back to using fat for fuel unless and until it has exhausted dietary carb intake. Assuming you aren't doing heavy endurance workouts in the early A.M., that will take quite a while. You'll then exercise later and either not intake the carbs when your body can most readily put them to good use, or consume the carbs and have a carb surplus that will shorten the amoutn of time your body spends in a fat burning state.

Yes, your body will stay fat burning if you consume bulletproof coffee in place of a carb for breakfast. Yes, it will need burn that dietary fat, but we're talking about 14gs of fat and 120 calories. Assuming you're not in a coma, your body will use that readily.

Timing.

One more time: This is not advocating that you consume more fat that you would otherwise or that you should consume less carbs. It's not in any way changing the ratio of the macros in your diet. It's merely taking advantage of the body's fueling and replenishment processes to promote fat loss and muscle recovery.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    That doesn't make any sense. If you consume fat in the morning, you'll burn (or rather, oxidise) that fat for energy. If you consume carbs, your body will burn those. Not your body fat. Unless you're in a caloric deficit in which case it would be doing anyway, regardless of ketosis or anything else.

Your body is burning fat, body fat, when you awake in ketosis. When you consume carbs upon rising, your body switches to using carbs as fuel instead and will not switch back to using fat for fuel unless and until it has exhausted dietary carb intake. Assuming you aren't doing heavy endurance workouts in the early A.M., that will take quite a while. You'll then exercise later and either not intake the carbs when your body can most readily put them to good use, or consume the carbs and have a carb surplus that will shorten the amoutn of time your body spends in a fat burning state.

Yes, your body will stay fat burning if you consume bulletproof coffee in place of a carb for breakfast. Yes, it will need burn that dietary fat, but we're talking about 14gs of fat and 120 calories. Assuming you're not in a coma, your body will use that readily.

Timing.

One more time: This is not advocating that you consume more fat that you would otherwise or that you should consume less carbs. It's not in any way changing the ratio of the macros in your diet. It's merely taking advantage of the body's fueling and replenishment processes to promote fat loss and muscle recovery.

Low carb wishful thinking
  • Nope.

Not that I do low carb either.
  • I don't buy nor bash stuff based on Youtube videos. If you go by You tube videos, you will have to wear a mask and drink 10 times boiled water. LMAO.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Nope.

Not that I do low carb either.

So your claims are substantiated by what?
  • I looked at how to make bulletproof coffee and all i saw was, "spend money. Spend more money. Spend more money."

For ****s and giggles i may try it when my coffee plants start producing and i get the dairy cow im looking at.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member

Timing.

Since fat oxidization is in flux at all times, for a person in a calorie deficit there would be no NET difference.
    No MORE fat would be oxidized...