PCOS and Soy

2»

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    And you'd think they'd be a little more sensitive. My old GP told me. Yeah you have PCOS per the RE but I don't think it'll be a problem for you guys conceiving. You're so young. When we took the adoption papers to him for his medical sign off he told us that we would probably still conceive before we adopted......I didn't think he meant 10 years from when he signed them......GRRRR

Nope - besides the PCOS my husband has a low count as well. 20M is considered the borderline for fertility, 150M is considered average. My RE decided before we did any of the fertility drugs, it would be a good idea to check to see if it was possible with his counts. His counts were 4, 1, 7M. The 7M was because we'd upped his zinc intake. But the quality of the sample was greatly decreased. It was like the original number was normal, but the zinc'd puppies were defective. This is why I'm so positive about doing things like this naturally - I've seen the results. I'm sure if we upped something else the defective rate would drop too.

He actually just went for surgery on Thursday because they found something physically wrong - varicocele. The urologist is quite certain that the baseline for improvement for him is 50% of average. So he's going from an average of 4M to 75M with increased quality and motility and mobility and all that jazz.

Because of his low counts, we were looking at IVF with ICSI & sperm wash. Everyone agreed that it was our best chance. We've decided that we're going to hold off until January to actually do that. Since it takes 90 days for "the inventory to stock itself" in his case, we're hoping that with the metformin doing things to my cycle and theoretically by Oct his count will be at an all time high and so we're really going to push it on the trying portion.

It would be lovely if we can do it naturally before January, but if not, I'd rather not waste more money and cycle time than I need to. 9 years of officially trying - almost 13 years of "medically" trying...LOL It's just time.
  • ICSI has fantastic results - I have many friends who have little ones due to this. Hopefully the op on the varicolele will help also!

Thinking of you xxx
  • fitterpam
    Just found this website and although it isn't specifically targetting soy products, it's a very interesting read.

http://epa.gov/endo/pubs/edspoverview/whatare.htm

The ones they are able to screen for include estrogen, which is one of the leading causes - or so they say - of PCOS.
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Wow! I am so thankful to have found this Topic.

I have had PCOS from the time I was about 15. I am now 20, married, and desperate to change my lifestyle and lose weight so that TTC will not be so heart breaking.

I was prescribed Metformin about a year ago, and even on the lowest of dosages I was sick all the time. My doctor had warned me of the side effects but after months of being sick on such a low dosage I just couldn't do it anymore.

At a point I was going to the gym for a few hours a day and after about 2 months my cycle began to be about 30 days long and it was consistent for about 4 months, at which point I had found a new, more demanding job, and wasn't able to continue my vigorous work out regime. Before that, I hadn't had a period in over a year, and since then I haven't had a period. Very frustrating. The one thing that gives me hope about this though is if I become more active again and take off the weight I just might have a change to fight this naturally and help the rest of my body as well.

PCOS makes it so hard to lose weight - but I refuse to think about that as a reason. Regardless, weight will come off if I am working at it.. maybe not as fast as other people but it will come off! :)

So any advise or tips anyone has I will readily take them and use them!

-Kay
  • fitterpam
    Wow! I am so thankful to have found this Topic.

I have had PCOS from the time I was about 15. I am now 20, married, and desperate to change my lifestyle and lose weight so that TTC will not be so heart breaking.

I was prescribed Metformin about a year ago, and even on the lowest of dosages I was sick all the time. My doctor had warned me of the side effects but after months of being sick on such a low dosage I just couldn't do it anymore.

At a point I was going to the gym for a few hours a day and after about 2 months my cycle began to be about 30 days long and it was consistent for about 4 months, at which point I had found a new, more demanding job, and wasn't able to continue my vigorous work out regime. Before that, I hadn't had a period in over a year, and since then I haven't had a period. Very frustrating. The one thing that gives me hope about this though is if I become more active again and take off the weight I just might have a change to fight this naturally and help the rest of my body as well.

PCOS makes it so hard to lose weight - but I refuse to think about that as a reason. Regardless, weight will come off if I am working at it.. maybe not as fast as other people but it will come off! :)

So any advise or tips anyone has I will readily take them and use them!

-Kay

So glad you mentioned that about Metformin - I'm finding that this week, I'm having a lot of issues with nausea and headaches. I know it's related because it lasts about an hour after I take a pill. Been taking them for about 3 months now......this hasn't happened since the beginning....
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    That is exactly how it happened for me. I was prescribed the Metformin, and as soon as I took it (every time) I was sick within a 1/2 hour and it lasted for at least 1 hour - most of the time much longer. I was only taking 500mg a day and had to move down to 250 at one point. My doctor told me that after 2 weeks of the initial dosage I should be able to up it and continue but that wasn't the case for me.
  • What you can do is literally cut the tablets in half. Start on half a tablet a day for 3 days then increase to one and so on until you are taking your full dose. Also always make sure you take it after food. Metformin can play havoc with your stomach if not. I found that on and off throughout my time of taking metformin I would end up like this and reducing and then increasing the dose again helped no end.

There is some question now as to how helpful metformin is in PCOS. In england they are starting to back away from using it as treatment as unless you actually eat healthily and exercise alongside taking it, there will be little benefit.

I know others have mentioned on this thread before but I cannot recommend looking at a paleolithic way of eating highly enough for PCOS sufferers. I just had my first period since starting and my cycle was 2 days shorter which put it within normal range. I also suffered with PMT and other symptoms which usually I would not which I take as a positive sign ( although for me it kind of doesn't matter any more I still want to get the PCOS in check).

xxx
  • What you can do is literally cut the tablets in half. Start on half a tablet a day for 3 days then increase to one and so on until you are taking your full dose. Also always make sure you take it after food. Metformin can play havoc with your stomach if not. I found that on and off throughout my time of taking metformin I would end up like this and reducing and then increasing the dose again helped no end.

There is some question now as to how helpful metformin is in PCOS. In england they are starting to back away from using it as treatment as unless you actually eat healthily and exercise alongside taking it, there will be little benefit.

I know others have mentioned on this thread before but I cannot recommend looking at a paleolithic way of eating highly enough for PCOS sufferers. I just had my first period since starting and my cycle was 2 days shorter which put it within normal range. I also suffered with PMT and other symptoms which usually I would not which I take as a positive sign ( although for me it kind of doesn't matter any more I still want to get the PCOS in check).

xxx
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in may 2010, I have normal cycles, every month. I had an ultra sound done and had cysts all over. I was told that eating a healthy low GI and low carb will help with the insulin resistance. I did not hear about the soy, and I started with it this past week, because of the hormones in regular milk. I have researched herbal supplements to help with symptoms, and trying to stay away from MET. My doctor told me she will not put me on it unless i was going ttc. I don't know if any of you have joined the web site PCOS challenge, it is a site, that will be running a tv show in the fall, simular to like the biggest losers. Its about women with PCOS. The site has blogs, message boards, groups to join. I think you should check it out, and tie it in with your MFP site it has helped a lot.

www.pcoschallenge.com

www.soulcysters.com

www.pcossupport.org

these are great support sites....I wish everyone luck on their journeys
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Welcome to the site country girl. I actually volunteer for the one of the UK's largest infertility charities.

I hope you soon settle in here and find support - PCOS is a beggar for trying to lose weight with but we are all here to support each other xxx
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Thanks it is great to have support, I have a hard time with losing weight and now with PCOS its a challenge.
  • Actually, for women with an estrogen-dominant disease like PCOS, the phytoestrogens in soy compete for the estrogen receptors in our bodies (therefore displacing the native estrogen) which decreases the overall estrogen effect on the HPA axis. Whole food soy products can be helpful for PCOS women including myself. Soy does the exact opposite for women with an estrogen deficient condition like menopause. Soy dominates their estrogen receptors when there is less native estrogen so they get a mildly estrogenic effect.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    I am so thankful to come across this topic. I have had PCOS forever and to be honest I haven't kept up with the research lately. I was totally unaware about the controversy with soy. While I am not vegetarian, I don't eat a lot of animal proteins and soy I rely on soy to keep my protein up. I have sort of given up with treating the PCOS due to never attaining results with medications and honestly now I work a job where I don't have insurance. I am definitely inspired to look in the some alternative treatments though. I guess I have some homework, I need to look more into soy and paleo diet with PCOS.

Is there a support group at MFP for PCOS?? I am still pretty new here and I have been meaning to look through the message boards.

And lavender can affect PCOS!?!? I absolutely love the smell and use it as a natural air freshener in my home.

Amy, don't give up. I've had severe PCOS fora very long time and I am now just getting things back to normal. Insulin and androgen play a big role in the wacky hormonal levels of PCOS. I avoid soy because of the possibility that the phytoestrogens might wreck havoc on my already messed up hormonal levels. I've found that regulating blood glucose through diet have helped me immensely.

Anyone in the thread with PCOS is welcome to friend me or message me.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    What you can do is literally cut the tablets in half. Start on half a tablet a day for 3 days then increase to one and so on until you are taking your full dose. Also always make sure you take it after food. Metformin can play havoc with your stomach if not. I found that on and off throughout my time of taking metformin I would end up like this and reducing and then increasing the dose again helped no end.

xxx

I, too, suggest Paleo for those with PCOS. I have attained my own person weight loss with a ketogenic diet, although the two aren't that dissimilar. In addition to Paleo as a diet, I'd also suggest a ketogenic approach.

EDIT: Just realized this thread got resurrected from the dead. My offer of friendship still stands, however. LOL.
This discussion has been closed.