Recovering from anorexia: Does your weight even out?

Options
Hi,
I am recently weight restored after experiencing anorexia for the past two and half years. I have a BMI of around 20-21 (lowest was about 15) and I my body is overshooting my optimal weight set point despite healthy eating.

I am concerned that I will continue gaining/stay here, but more afraid that I'll continue gaining. My BMI before my ED was around 19 and I preferred my body there...Anyways, since it's only been a month or two since I've been weight restored, should my weight drop back down a slight amount in a few months? I've heard that this can happen...Or is it unlikely?

I dunno...I'm having a lot of bad body image problems since being weight restored and I feel like no one takes my ED seriously anymore since I've been weight restored.

I feel so fat and awful.

Has anyone recovered and been recovered for a while and want to share their experience? Thank you x

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have been recovered from my anorexia for the best part of 20 years, although I do still struggle with occasional bulimic and binge eating tendencies (it is quite common for those who had anorexia, to end up with another ED at a later stage). I was 72Ibs at 5'11 at my worst. Goodness knows what BMI that was. Either way, since then, my weight has pretty much always ended up natually returning to my pre-ED weight. Give it time, and do not fret. Remember, you are still at the lower end of the healthy weight range. Focus on your health and fitness now you are weight restored. It can be helpful to channel the scale obsession into a healthy interest in fitness and good nutrition instead, or so I have found. I have met quite a few Ex anorexics who got into weight training and found that of great benefit for channeling that desire for perfection.

Just keep doing what you are doing, and work on the underlying issues. It will take time for you to adjust after being at such a low weight.
    But I can assure you, you are not fat.
    And the best way to deal with it, if you feel the weight has gone on in a way you find uncomfortable, is to focus on maybe altering your body composition, via strength training. Feel free to pm me if you wish to talk further.
  • myownfairytale
    myownfairytale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is one of those necessary evils. When I was younger, every time I recovered I would overshoot my goal weight and then settle back down. Not right away, but eventually. It sucks because you have to really sit through still having that ultra anorexic mindset (I'm too fat, I need to lose weight) and just trust that your body will do what is right. With proper weight restoration the fat thoughts should eventually be not so overwhelming. Two months isn't long enough for your mind and body to be in agreement I'm afraid.

As I've gotten older, thankfully, I've relapsed less (been good for 7 years now?) but my body is paying the price for relapse after relapse. My set point is wonky now, partly because I'm older and partly because I've screwed up my body. Still, a normal weight and somewhat happy is way better than being a thin, miserable, sick person.
  • echoslug
    echoslug Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    First off you are not fat. 20-21 is actually the scientific 'ideal' for women bodies. In other words when large groups of men where shown pictures of women they rated those with a BMI of 20-22 as most attractive.

A BMI of 17-19 is what many professional or serious athletes have. So while I'm sure the weight you are seeing is related to your body readjusting the BMI you are at is by no means fat or unhealthy. That being said if you were happiest at 19 then that is an achievable goal that you can get with a healthy lifestyle. So yay!

You are going to want to put in time exercising, at least 30 minutes a day but more likely closer to 1 hour. You'll want to do weights as well as cardio to build strength, endurance, muscle and definition (don't worry you won't get bulky). You should also increase the amount your eating to fuel such a rigorous program. If this is truly what you want, as someone recovering from an ED, I would highly recommend taking your goal and outlining it with your doctor and/or therapist. Explain your goal and that you are trying to achieve this goal in a healthy manner. Enlist their help in figuring out a plan so that you don't fall back into the habits that resulted in your ED or start compulsive exercise which can be another way to 'purge' calories and just as harmful.