Crossfit a Load of Shizzdoodles

Options

Replies

• MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    To get started at our local box is $385.

To date-i have never once heard of them using tires, doing oly lifts, or anything besides bodyweight exercises.

Im not paying a dime to do "fish out of water" pushups.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have an opinion on this subject, but the word "shizzdoodles" attracted me to your post.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    [That never happens and is a gross exaggeration of actual CrossFit programming.

Nancy, Josh, Badger, Bulger - to name just a few WODs that fatigue you with cardio then have you do technical lifts after the fact.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    All I want to know is where they find those awesome bumper plates for the barbells.

Rogue Fitness is a solid (but not the only) source.
  • LRunda
    LRunda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think the cost is outrageous. We have a similar class available at our local YMCA and physically it is no joke. It kicks my *kitten* every time. What I like about it is that everyone is doing it together and we have an instructor. It motivates me and is an awesome work out. Strength and a cardiovascular at the same time.

I've never taken an actual Cross-Fit class so I can't quite compare the two. I just know that our instructor at the Y does Cross-fit as well and our class is modeled after it. I have known some people who became obsessed with the cross-fit lifestyle to a point of excess, which is irritating. I am a firm believer in everything in moderation. I wont do the paleo diet and I refuse to turn my facebook into a constant stream of Cross-Fit propaganda.

That's my two-cents.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Nancy, Josh, Badger, Bulger - to name just a few WODs that fatigue you with cardio then have you do technical lifts after the fact.

yeah- I can think of several- including the Games or any regular competitions- there is a lot of cardio AND a lot of technical lifting- I mean- that's half the point of the program- to incorporate that stuff together.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    rhabdomyolysis.

That's all im gonna say.

You can do that to yourself running marathons.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

If you look at those workouts the running distance in each set is not that far and the prescribed weights (which can be and are often scaled down) are not very heavy and for not a lot of reps. It is nowhere close to running two miles then doing a "zillion deadlifts."
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    rhabdomyolysis.

That's all im gonna say.

You can do that to yourself running marathons.

Or any other kind of physical endeavor.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    rhabdomyolysis.

That's all im gonna say.

lulz

Lemme guess, CrossFit will snap your *kitten* up, too?

Only if you're a moron.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    rhabdomyolysis.

That's all im gonna say.

Yes. Because rhabdo is exclusive to crossfit.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

If you look at those workouts the running distance in each set is not that far and the prescribed weights (which can be and are often scaled down) are not very heavy and for not a lot of reps. It is nowhere close to running two miles then doing a "zillion deadlifts."

I agree. I think people see the weight and freak out. I scale ALL the time. And, if I don't want to do something, I don't. My coach will find a modification for me.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    also, this seems an appropriate thread to post this (my 2nd favorite MFP GIF of all-time)...

lyxw.gif

:tongue:

ETA - no real offense intended to my crossfitting friends, merely a little good-natured teasing. :wink:

That's awesome. . I should get the guys at my box to do a harlem shake video. .
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Wow maybe I should put "NOT LITERAL" as a disclaimer in my posts because some people miss the point otherwise. smiley-rolleyes008.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I think the cost is outrageous. We have a similar class available at our local YMCA and physically it is no joke. It kicks my *kitten* every time. What I like about it is that everyone is doing it together and we have an instructor. It motivates me and is an awesome work out. Strength and a cardiovascular at the same time.

I've never taken an actual Cross-Fit class so I can't quite compare the two. I just know that our instructor at the Y does Cross-fit as well and our class is modeled after it. I have known some people who became obsessed with the cross-fit lifestyle to a point of excess, which is irritating. I am a firm believer in everything in moderation. I wont do the paleo diet and I refuse to turn my facebook into a constant stream of Cross-Fit propaganda.

That's my two-cents.

I used to think that the cost of some washers/dryers was ridiculous and that my budget model was more than adequate...until I bought the better ones and experienced the difference for myself.

I used to think that the cost of some refrigerators was ridiculous and that my budget model was more than adequate...until I bought a better one and experienced the difference for myself.

I used to think that the cost of some clothing lines was ridiculous and that my budget clothes were more than adequate...until I bought better ones and experienced the difference for myself.

I suspect the same is true of many other things in life too (like luxury autos).

Sometimes, the best value involves spending more money. Is this specific instance one of those cases? Maybe not...but maybe so.

TL;DR - you don't know until you know.
  • JillSalus
    JillSalus Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    THIS takes the cake. :laugh: The weirdest trampoline 'exercise' I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqeSzdwyBeE&feature=youtu.be
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Wow maybe I should put "NOT LITERAL" as a disclaimer in my posts because some people miss the point otherwise. smiley-rolleyes008.gif

Sometimes, exaggeration and hyperbole harm your point. When addressing specific exercise programming is likely one of those situations.

edit: verb plurality and things of that nature.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    For every Crossfit video that you see of someone doing something dangerous or ridiculous, you can find many more general gym videos of people doing dangerous or ridiculous things.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    All I want to know is where they find those awesome bumper plates for the barbells.

Rogue Fitness is a solid (but not the only) source.

Thanks! I wish my regular gym had them.
  • LRunda
    LRunda Posts: 59 Member
    Options

That's my two-cents.

I used to think that the cost of some washers/dryers was ridiculous and that my budget model was more than adequate...until I bought the better ones and experienced the difference for myself.

I used to think that the cost of some refrigerators was ridiculous and that my budget model was more than adequate...until I bought a better one and experienced the difference for myself.

I used to think that the cost of some clothing lines was ridiculous and that my budget clothes were more than adequate...until I bought better ones and experienced the difference for myself.

I suspect the same is true of many other things in life too (like luxury autos).

Sometimes, the best value involves spending more money. Is this specific instance one of those cases? Maybe not...but maybe so.

TL;DR - you don't know until you know.

I pay $65 a month and get essentially the same thing, plus so much more. I think that I'll stick with the YMCA. :)