Crossfit a Load of Shizzdoodles

Options

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Was the "2 mile run" part of your post literal or hyperbole?

In my time at crossfit, I never did anything close to a 2 mile run prior to any lifting...

...and if I ever did, hypothetically speaking, I would scale the weight *way* back.

Nancy run total - 1.2 Miles
    Badger run total - 1.5 Miles

So if you wish to bash my post for being off by .8 to .5 Miles then more power to you, as you missed my point completely anyway and I'm sure will continue to do so. As a fan of Crossfit did you even watch the games last year? They had at least 2 events - (Burden Run, Naughty Nancy) that were @ or close to having 2 Miles of running w/lifting or technical lifts after them.

So.....no hyperbole here, Sweetie :wink:

You are talking about how much TOTAL running there is in those workouts but it is key to remember you are not doing all that running at once.

Nancy - 5 rounds 400 m run and 15 overhead squats @ 95 lbs
    Badger - 3 rounds 30 cleans @ 95 lbs, 30 pull-ups, and 800 M run

The way you are saying it seems to imply that one is expected to run the entire mile or two and THEN start lifting which simply is not the case.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You are talking about how much TOTAL running there is in those workouts but it is key to remember you are not doing all that running at once.

The way you are saying it seems to imply that one is expected to run the entire mile or two and THEN start lifting which simply is not the case.

Absolutely no confusion at all on my part as far as the WODs & the order they are performed or am I implying what you're saying I am.
  • avispira
    avispira Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They need to make a Thighmaster Shakeweight.

I think you can find those in the Adam and Eve catalog.

Link?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Was the "2 mile run" part of your post literal or hyperbole?

In my time at crossfit, I never did anything close to a 2 mile run prior to any lifting...

...and if I ever did, hypothetically speaking, I would scale the weight *way* back.

Nancy run total - 1.2 Miles
    Badger run total - 1.5 Miles

So if you wish to bash my post for being off by .8 to .5 Miles then more power to you, as you missed my point completely anyway and I'm sure will continue to do so. As a fan of Crossfit did you even watch the games last year? They had at least 2 events - (Burden Run, Naughty Nancy) that were @ or close to having 2 Miles of running w/lifting or technical lifts after them.

So.....no hyperbole here, Sweetie :wink:

Did you really just use the crossfit games as justification for your disdain of regular programming???

If the crossfit games are any indication, then very few people should ever do crossfit because what they do in the games is hardcore.

Have you ever done Nancy? (Stop giggling.) Nancy is 5 rounds of 400 meter run and 95 pound(rx) x15 overhead squat. When I did it the first time, I used a 15 pound trainer bar. Still, it wasn't even fatigue from the run that was my limiting factor, it was those damn hard OH squats (even with just 15 pounds. What it wasn't was 2 miles of running followed by a zillion reps of deadlift.

I've never done/heard of Badger. Apparently, that's a hero WOD...which is why I've never tried it or even heard of it. (Hero WODs were optional Sunday workouts.) Hero WODs are special advanced WODs that only crazy people do. Er, I mean, that advanced members do. For those curious, it's three rounds of 95 pound squat cleans x 30, 30 pull-ups, and 800 meter run. In that WOD, I'd have to knock the weight way down on cleans, and band the pull-ups. Hell, I'd look forward to the 800 meter run...okay, jog...as a kind of rest for my arms/upper back. Whatever it is (and how I would approach it), it isn't 2 miles of running followed by a zillion reps of deadlift.

Hey, I get it. Some of the crossfit WODs (especially if you're including the Hero WODs) are ridiculous (especially if someone is stubborn (or clueless) and trying to use too much weight). Fortunately for me, the gym I went to didn't do a lot of ridiculous WODs...and the few times when they determined a particular WOD was problematic in the earliest class, they would further scale it for the later classes. Many times when my starting weight was too much, I'd strip it mid-WOD. (True story: determining appropriate weight for first time through a WOD was the hardest/most frustrating part of my crossfit experience.) None of these are compelling reasons not to do crossfit (IMHO).

ETA: So yeah, much hyperbole in your post...absent the semantic gymnastics necessary to try to persuade otherwise.
  • avispira
    avispira Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They need to make a Thighmaster Shakeweight.

I think you can find those in the Adam and Eve catalog.

By the way, thank you for helping me in my attempt to devolve this conversation and defeat the evil forces that are actually still analyzing CF. We need to follow the leadership of the weightlifting dogs and the prancercise video!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think the cost is outrageous. We have a similar class available at our local YMCA and physically it is no joke. It kicks my *kitten* every time. What I like about it is that everyone is doing it together and we have an instructor. It motivates me and is an awesome work out. Strength and a cardiovascular at the same time.

I've never taken an actual Cross-Fit class so I can't quite compare the two. I just know that our instructor at the Y does Cross-fit as well and our class is modeled after it. I have known some people who became obsessed with the cross-fit lifestyle to a point of excess, which is irritating. I am a firm believer in everything in moderation. I wont do the paleo diet and I refuse to turn my facebook into a constant stream of Cross-Fit propaganda.

That's my two-cents.

I used to think that the cost of some washers/dryers was ridiculous and that my budget model was more than adequate...until I bought the better ones and experienced the difference for myself.

I used to think that the cost of some refrigerators was ridiculous and that my budget model was more than adequate...until I bought a better one and experienced the difference for myself.

I used to think that the cost of some clothing lines was ridiculous and that my budget clothes were more than adequate...until I bought better ones and experienced the difference for myself.

I suspect the same is true of many other things in life too (like luxury autos).

Sometimes, the best value involves spending more money. Is this specific instance one of those cases? Maybe not...but maybe so.

TL;DR - you don't know until you know.

considering spending that much on any kind of sport or recreation is beyond what my budget can stretch to, it'll stay in the "maybe not, maybe so" - I'm sure if i had a lot more money my decisions about what to spend money on and when not to spend money would be totally different.

Also, I'd like to know what crossfit could give me that playing competitive ice hockey and doing powerlifting couldn't do.... because if i had more money and access to an ice rink, that's what I'd go for and it would still be cheaper than crossfit.

I get you re very often more expensive things really are better... I'm not convinced that crossfit is better than other kinds of training.... but if I had enough money that 180 dollars a month was peanuts, i'd probably do crossfit (as well as ice hockey and powerlifting) because it looks kind of fun, plus there's the camaraderie (which you can also get by playing any team sport, but it does add to the appeal of crossfit nevertheless)

On my actual budget though (as opposed to an imaginary one that I'd love to have where 180 dollars is peanuts).... it ain't gonna happen

I don't disagree with this post at all. We all have to work within the constraints we have, be them money, time, energy, or other. I'm just saying that (IMHO) crossfit should not be immediately dismissed as a viable and worthwhile endeavor. I'm just trying to be a voice of reason offsetting those railing against it without any actual experience (or an isolated bad experience) with it.

Full disclosure: I am not currently doing crossfit, partially because of the additional time commitment of working out outside my own basement gym and partially because of the money. Could I make it work? Sure. I'm just choosing not to at this point.

So can you make progress towards your fitness goals without crossfit? Absolutely. Might crossfit be an effective tool in making progress towards your fitness goals? Absolutely.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Absolutely no confusion at all on my part as far as the WODs & the order they are performed or am I implying what you're saying I am.

oh really?
    I do like a lot of things about Crossfit, but the problem with it is the crappy programming (e.g. 2 miles runs followed by a zillion reps of Deadlifts or other very technical lifts like Power Cleans) and the lack of experience of a lot of the coaches.
    Nancy, Josh, Badger, Bulger - to name just a few WODs that fatigue you with cardio then have you do technical lifts after the fact.

I must have missed the part where you mentioned that you don't do all the running at once.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to see if people will completely rip into me about this,

But seriously, who thinks Crossfit is one of the silliest, albeit most hilarious, things to enter the fitness world recently?!?!
    Must be my age showing , but I guess recently doesn't include the 80's.:laugh:
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Step Aerobics

I went once when i was younger (mid 20s) and this is no lie, completely lost my balance on some crazy half assed turn around step backwards onto the step, fell over and proceeded to knock out clean out for 10mins the poor girl in-front of me when i stumbled into her in a flail of arms and legs.

I didn't last long in that gym, there was dagger eyes from every single woman in the place :( was a really nice place as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    First, I agree that it has done amazing things to put barbells in peoples hands and have them doing oly lifts, which are great exercises. Better than isolation exercises, which is what most people engaged in prior. It's cool to see average everyday people now doing snatches, and deadlifts.

not better than isolation. Just different.

Different goals- different programs
    different training.

one is not inhereintly better than the other- it will be in terms of goals and applications- compounds is BETTER for people wanting to improve their fitness and over all workout stuff- but it is NOT better for body builders or power lifters.

Crossfit itself isn't a program for training- it's just working out. That's one of it's flaws for people who have long term goals.
    Last, who cares? Why all the h8? Relax and do your own thing. People like it, so let them have it.
    and ultimately- this.
    I just wish it wasn't so cult like LOL
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Hey guys.. what's Crossfit? Seriously. Been seeing a lot of people on MFP talking about it lol
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've seen sillier.

Prancersize anyone?

DON'T YOU MAKE FUN OF PRANCERSIZE.

2420181.jpg
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Hehe, I'm the first to admit we can be a little over zealous about it. :blushing:

But, I enjoy the community. I'm pretty sure that's what has kept my butt regularly in the gym for a year now. I feel accountable to my buddies in the morning. :happy:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Second, for those that knock it, have you tried it? I don't cross-fit, but I sometimes do the WOD, typically when I can't hit the gym, I'll look it up on their website, and they are *kitten*-kicking. I saw a trainer do a demo and I got exhausted just watching him, much less even trying it. It's an amazing workout and it's much more difficult than it looks. I still can't do double unders on a jump rope. And, even if I manage to eek out a couple, I'm exhausted after hitting 2. They do 30 like it's nothing, then go run 400m, then do pull-ups. Then do it again, and again.

Been at it a year and I STILL can't get more than 2 in a row. It's wizardry, I swear.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I've seen sillier.

Prancersize anyone?

Yeah this one gets my vote for silliest too.

Prancersize is funny but my mom had Body Flex. Which said you could lose weight by "aerobic breathing" and it looked like this:

1390680760_5p6yz5_j1z3.gif
  • EricS6
    Options
    So then:
    *Crossfit has lots of shizzdoodles, so even though they are a welcoming community I should avoid crossfit unless I want injuries.
    *I can't use a gym or fitness center because I don't know the proper forms or anything and just get mocked when I'm not hurting myself.
    *I can't shop gyms and trainers, because I don't know a good trainer from a bad one.

THIS is the sort of crap that's kept me (and many others) away for decades. I want to do something but fitness centers and gyms exist for people who are already in the fitness club; those of us who desperately need it are shamed into staying away by all you cool people who know wtf they're doing. Even if I could afford a "personal trainer/instructor" to teach me, every Joe & Jane looking for a quick buck can call themselves a trainer and again, how do you shop for one when you don't know enough to know good from bad.

So now that I'm getting serious about my health, I assume that I'll just go buy some DVD's. For now, walking seems to be best for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Hehe, I'm the first to admit we can be a little over zealous about it. :blushing:

But, I enjoy the community. I'm pretty sure that's what has kept my butt regularly in the gym for a year now. I feel accountable to my buddies in the morning. :happy:

I think that's probably the more important part- training at a higher level (true) And trainign with people who are focused as you are... keeps you on point- and you have a common source to talk/*****/accountable/all of those things that other people either do for themselves or supplement.

there is no question- the community is a huge draw- I love my dance studio- I'm very PRO- DDLC... we have an amazing studio- and a group of really dedicated- driven dancers who strive to be the best they can.. it's something to lock into- and some where in your life- most people need SOMETHING like that- in one form or the other.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    So then:
    *Crossfit has lots of shizzdoodles, so even though they are a welcoming community I should avoid crossfit unless I want injuries.
    *I can't use a gym or fitness center because I don't know the proper forms or anything and just get mocked when I'm not hurting myself.
    *I can't shop gyms and trainers, because I don't know a good trainer from a bad one.

THIS is the sort of crap that's kept me (and many others) away for decades. I want to do something but fitness centers and gyms exist for people who are already in the fitness club; those of us who desperately need it are shamed into staying away by all you cool people who know wtf they're doing. Even if I could afford a "personal trainer/instructor" to teach me, every Joe & Jane looking for a quick buck can call themselves a trainer and again, how do you shop for one when you don't know enough to know good from bad.

So now that I'm getting serious about my health, I assume that I'll just go buy some DVD's. For now, walking seems to be best for me.

It's hard when you first start. I got some very nasty comments at my gym early on from a couple of rude people, but you know what? Those a-holes that were mean are eating their words now!

Don't let some jerk scare you away from joining a gym if you want to. Doing that just gives them more power over you than they deserve.

I've found that 99% of people at my gym are very nice very good people, and most welcomed me and others trying to learn and improve with open arms. Don't be afraid of the learning process. We all started out overwhelmed and trying to learn all this stuff.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    So then:

If you want to get into a gym, go. But I will offer you some advice; for the best experience, with the least judgement, join a (preferably small) local bodybuilding or powerlifting gym. Before you arrive, do some research; learn what a pull, press and squat are, get a reasonable idea of how you should perform them and then when you're going to get under the bar, ask one of the staff to spot you.