Help running faster

Options
So I started running at the end of December. I also quit smoking (cold turkey). I am using a c25k type app from Endomondo, but I am so slow still, at a 14 minute mile. I am well aware that to some people a 14 minute mile is walking, not running, but to me, my legs and lungs it is running. I just want to do it faster. Does anyone have any tips on increasing speed?

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If you've only been running less than 2 months, you aren't going to get faster without giving it more time and just keep running. Finish the c25k plan and see how you are doing then.
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are using a c25k type app, you are doing alternating of walking/jogging during that mile, which would make it slower that if you were to jog a a mile.

I don't worry about my speed. The fact that I am out there running says something. Get comfortable with your pace, speed will come later.

I'm on week 4 of C25K, and last night my pace was 13:51/mile.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    More miles, more miles, more miles

At this point, any type of speedwork won't do anything. You need to build up your aerobic base.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    So I started running at the end of December. I also quit smoking (cold turkey). I am using a c25k type app from Endomondo, but I am so slow still, at a 14 minute mile. I am well aware that to some people a 14 minute mile is walking, not running, but to me, my legs and lungs it is running. I just want to do it faster. Does anyone have any tips on increasing speed?

Just be patient...complete the app and you'll start to get faster automatically. Endurance first, then speed.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For pure speed and leg strenght, do some HIIT sprinting, you can also include frog jumps in the intervals.
    It will also help your running endurance to some degree.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just keep running regularly, speed will come over time.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Tagging to see the advice given. I'm also a slow new and slow runner, but I'm trying interval training to speed up a bit. It is working slowly but surely. This link talks about the methods I hear of most often.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/whats-difference-between-fartlek-tempo-and-interval-runs

But it would be interesting to hear what more experienced folks have to say.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options

If you are significantly overweight - thats probably the issue. You have to consider the effect the extra pounds have on your body, your knees, your heart etc - 14 min mile is fine and you are still working to lose the weight so as you lose the weight - runs will become easier and you will go faster - there is NO shame in how fast you can run because the point is that you are doing it.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    yes what everone says here..if your doing C25k that means your hoping to get the 5k distance...you need to get there first before you can worry about speed..if you cant do it right now...then pushing the pace is just going to get you an injury..

keep it slow...build your miles and it will come.

how do i know...I started last febuary on the c25k...in a year ive run several 5ks and 3 halfs.. my pace was 13:30 when i started. The last 5k I did in novemeber my pace was 10:24...Sunday I ran a 10:43 for 8 miles.

so it will come trust me!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Tagging to see the advice given. I'm also a slow new and slow runner, but I'm trying interval training to speed up a bit. It is working slowly but surely. This link talks about the methods I hear of most often.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/whats-difference-between-fartlek-tempo-and-interval-runs

But it would be interesting to hear what more experienced folks have to say.

Intervals and speedwork are great tools, but honestly, without a decent aerobic base, they won't really get you anywhere. For a new runner, the biggest gains are going to come from doing long slow miles. Once your body is conditioned to run, then you can worry about 'sharpening' with speedwork. Even for an advanced distance runner, tempo or interval runs will only make up about 15% of the weekly mileage.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You don't want to run the same speed every time you get out. Generally each week you have three types of runs

(1) Long run - used to build endurance and increase how far you can run each time. Run at a slow pace
    (2) Easy Run - used a couple days after a long run. Also run at a slow speed and it is usually low in mileage.
    (3) Speedwork - This is what will help you run faster.
    (a) Tempo run - Imagine you are running 5 miles. You warm up at a slow pace for one mile, bump up the speed to race speed for three miles, then cool off for a mile at a slow speed.
    (b) Intervals - Again, imagine you are running 5 miles. Warm up at a slow speed for a mile, then run 1/2 mile at the fastest pace you can. Jog for another 1/2 mile, then run another 1/2 mile as fast as you can. Jog for 1/2 mile then run as fast as you can for 1/2 mile. Then cool off with a slow one mile.

RunningWorld.Com has a lot of info on this and their Smart Coach will develop a plan for you based on your skills and abilities.

Mike
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Finish your program and see where you are. At that point you can either move on to a 10K program or (what I did) just start adding miles to a run or two each week. Little by little. When you're just starting out just doing that will make a dramatic difference in not too long a time. The more comfortable you get running 5 or 7 or 10 miles the faster you'll be able to run shorter distances.

Patience.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Let your body get used to cleaner lungs, run more (slow, easy miles like you're doing), and ignore people that tell you to do speedwork at this point in your running.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You don't want to run the same speed every time you get out. Generally each week you have three types of runs

(1) Long run - used to build endurance and increase how far you can run each time. Run at a slow pace
    (2) Easy Run - used a couple days after a long run. Also run at a slow speed and it is usually low in mileage.
    (a) Tempo run - Imagine you are running 5 miles. You warm up at a slow pace for one mile, bump up the speed to race speed for three miles, then cool off for a mile at a slow speed.
    (b) Intervals - Again, imagine you are running 5 miles. Warm up at a slow speed for a mile, then run 1/2 mile at the fastest pace you can. Jog for another 1/2 mile, then run another 1/2 mile as fast as you can. Jog for 1/2 mile then run as fast as you can for 1/2 mile. Then cool off with a slow one mile.

RunningWorld.Com has a lot of info on this and their Smart Coach will develop a plan for you based on your skills and abilities.

Mike

I don't think the OP is up to even a 5k yet, maybe I'm wrong tho
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Mike

My 2 cents:

I think she should complete the app before even reading about this!!! And after completing the app, she should work on beeing able to run at least 3 miles 5x a week....

OP: don't listen to people telling you to do speedwork.. I don't even do speedwork and I can run a 5k in less than 23min... The key is increasing SLOWLY your weekly mileage.
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Finish your program and see where you are. At that point you can either move on to a 10K program or (what I did) just start adding miles to a run or two each week. Little by little. When you're just starting out just doing that will make a dramatic difference in not too long a time. The more comfortable you get running 5 or 7 or 10 miles the faster you'll be able to run shorter distances.

Patience.

100% this. Endurance comes before speed. The more you run, the faster you'll get. (And then you can add speed work and intervals.)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Best advice I ever got.....

"Worry about a fast 5K when you can complete a slow 10K."

I quit smoking after 25 years last April. I started running last June. Some days are easier than others for sure. Just keep going. Once you get done and you are running more, consistently, you will notice your speed picking up. Once you stop getting gains that way (probably at least a year) then look into the other advice given here.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options

My 2 cents:

I think she should complete the app before even reading about this!!! And after completing the app, she should work on beeing able to run at least 3 miles 5x a week....

OP: don't listen to people telling you to do speedwork.. I don't even do speedwork and I can run a 5k in less than 23min... The key is increasing SLOWLY your weekly mileage.

I will agree a beginner should focus on the basics, but I did not read her question that way. So if my answer is more advanced than her present skill set, I apologize. That being said, telling someone to ignore anyone talking about speedwork is an error (for my two cents worth). You may not need speedwork, and congrats to you for your run times. You are in a minority, however, and your advice goes against cross country/running coaches across the country.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Whatever level you are at running at a set speed all the time is okay but not optimal, i run for 30 mins, 20 mins and intervals, each one of these helps the others, the only way to get speed into your legs is to run as quick as possible, to start an easy way to do it is run as quick as you can for 60 secs then jog till your heart rate has recovered then run quick again and repeat

I do 60 seconds run,jog interval for 30 mins then increase speed and once i can go 30mins increase the speed again, pushing your heart rate will help greatly with all your running
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest focusing on endurance first and finishing the C25K. Your pace will improve naturally with time and practice.