Help running faster

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I'd suggest focusing on endurance first and finishing the C25K. Your pace will improve naturally with time and practice.

Pace will improve even quicker if she actually run's quicker

Repeat after me: OP is running a 14 minute mile

Doesn't make any difference, you have to train your body and mind to run faster, sure you can plod and then plod further and then a bit further, and then plod a little faster but this isn't the best way to do it, i am not talking usain bolt here, i used to just jog at 11kmh and go a little bit further until i reached 10km, i did this for ages and felt comfortable, one day i just carried on and did over two hours, it is easy to get into a comfort zone and any increase in speed seems hard. if i upped it to 12 kmh it felt too fast

once i started doing intervals at 14kmh and working my heart rate and legs suddenly 12kmh didn't seem quick anymore and i progressed much quicker

It is all relevant whether your running a 14 min mile or a 5 min one, pushing your heart rate is key

So let me get this right...........you ran slowly, built your aerobic base and then worked on speed but you're not recommending the same for the OP? SMH

No what i did was run at the same pace for ages thinking this would make me fitter and faster problem was as i got to 10km i thought i was near my max but as i said one day i just ran for two hours, i was nowhere near my max at 10k pace but unless you run faster at shorter distances your body isn't used to running quicker, no decent running program suggests running at one pace all the time, if you are telling me running at a higher heart rate isn't beneficial then that is your opinion, it would be 100% wrong though

No one is arguing that there isn't a time and place for speed work but you're suggesting it to someone who has just started running. It seems to have worked for you, and I daresay almost everyone else who runs distances. Perhaps if you removed your head from your *kitten* and actually read what others wrote you would discover that you do not have a monopoly on good advice.

So mr gobby your are saying if this lady who for example who runs 14 min miles mixed it up a bit and ran a little quicker in intervals so she got used to extending her stride, pushing her heart rate and mentality got used to pushing her legs and arms a bit quicker this would not help at all?

Her question was how can i run quicker not longer, i guarantee that even if she once a week ran 400m and tried to beat her best by one second this would benefit her in the long run, but you know best , you have obviously never heard that working your heart rate is good for your fitness

Maybe you need to start reading slower and longer. You've been reading too hard and at intervals and are missing the point.

Heart rate and fitness =/= faster pace. And she's just starting. She needs to develop a base before she works on "dedicated speed work". She will get MORE benefit from increased miles than she will from intervals at this point.

So STAHP!!!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Build you base. Endurance and stamina before speed. The opposite will land you injured and frustrated. Go slow. I started running at 12:00 min/mile and (fast forward two years later and 63 lbs less....) now I am running 7:50/mile. It takes TIME!! Build your mileage!!!!

Just my 2 cents! Best of luck!
  • jsj024519
    Build your base and foundation! Endurance and stamina ALWAYS before speed. Speed before endurance will land you injured and frustrated!!!!!! Go slow. I started running at 12:00 min/mile and (fast forward two years later and 63 lbs less....) now I am running 7:50/mile. It takes TIME!! Build your mileage!!!!

Just my 2 cents! Best of luck!
  • So I started running at the end of December. I also quit smoking (cold turkey). I am using a c25k type app from Endomondo, but I am so slow still, at a 14 minute mile. I am well aware that to some people a 14 minute mile is walking, not running, but to me, my legs and lungs it is running. I just want to do it faster. Does anyone have any tips on increasing speed?

Let your body get used to cleaner lungs, run more (slow, easy miles like you're doing), and ignore people that tell you to do speedwork at this point in your running.

Amen - I used to get frustrated and down on myself when I could not do what other, more fit or "smarter" people told me. Everyone has to start somewhere and who cares how fast you run as long as youre running?
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    I've noticed running takes a lot of time.

I bought a treadmill just over a week ago and started out walking a mile at 2 mph. Then a few days later, 2.5-3 mph. Now today I even ran at 5 mph for a whole minute, now to some people, that might not be running either, but to me, that's HUGE. I haven't done any strenuous physical activity in a long time and with my height/weight, it's amazing (to me) that I even did that.

The key is, you have to take it slowly. It's not going to happen over night, but as long as you keep seeing changes for the better, keep going.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    OP, you have gotten quite a bit of good advice, and just a little bad advice. Finish the C25K program, reevaluate at that point. Someone told me early on, a 12 minute mile is just as far as a 10 minute mile.....just sayin....
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    More miles, more miles, more miles

At this point, any type of speedwork won't do anything. You need to build up your aerobic base.

This, for sure.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    In...

...late...

...and having read OP's post and having weighed all the evidence on both sides of the debate, I'm firmly on Team Runmore.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member

Can't argue with a comment that has no evidence, personal experience or science to back it up, i suggest the op does indeed listen to the poster with the daft boot picture

Sigh.

Both slow and fast twitch muscle fiber shows optimal development at different %s of VO2max, with slow twitch gains peaking at about 70%, and dropping off the higher you get towards 100% (and over 100%). Fast twitch oxidative muscle fiber is not only developed at higher % of VO2max, but at lower percentages as well. Fast twitch glycolytic muscle fiber becomes active at around 70-75% VO2max. So when starting out, the best way to recruit all three kinds of muscle fiber is to do slower running, as it builds stability, aerobic capacity, and is easier to maintain. Once that is developed, training at higher %s of VO2max aid in the directed development of fast twitch fiber, while slower runs maintain slow twitch fiber

science!

If you want my personal credentials, well, I'm afraid we just don't have enough room.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    patience grasshopper
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    This thread.

train-wreck-o.gif

I'm a 4 year runner, I just started to work on speed work last year. Really I got my endurance up to 1/2 marathon levels. Don't worry about it yet OP. c25k will get you endurance. That is what you should crave right now.
  • hey there. i'm a marathon runner and happened to see this episode of nova just about 3 weeks before i ran the nyc marathon last fall. it helped me to pick up speed at the times i needed it most. i'm typically a 10 min/mile.

you'll see in this video that both the journalist and the professional runner look like they have the same stride and speed of their legs. the difference is that the professional runner is pounding into the pavement with greater force. it sounds scary, like it will hurt your joints or knees, but trust me, its more of a mental thing!

i hope this helps you as much as it helped me!!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-run-faster-video/
  • jsj024519
    ...lol
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    I've been running for a long time and have always done some sort of "mini-intervals" (not "speed work" per se). They used to call it "fartlek" or "speed play" which just makes things more interesting for you. Speed up for 10 yard, 20 yards, at a time -- set little goals by speeding up until the next light pole, trash can or other visible goal. Helps keep you from slowing down when you think you are going the same pace. Gets your body gradually used to running faster. This is kind of what a run walk program does but mixes up the running part a little too.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Can't argue with a comment that has no evidence, personal experience or science to back it up, i suggest the op does indeed listen to the poster with the daft boot picture

Sigh.

Both slow and fast twitch muscle fiber shows optimal development at different %s of VO2max, with slow twitch gains peaking at about 70%, and dropping off the higher you get towards 100% (and over 100%). Fast twitch oxidative muscle fiber is not only developed at higher % of VO2max, but at lower percentages as well. Fast twitch glycolytic muscle fiber becomes active at around 70-75% VO2max. So when starting out, the best way to recruit all three kinds of muscle fiber is to do slower running, as it builds stability, aerobic capacity, and is easier to maintain. Once that is developed, training at higher %s of VO2max aid in the directed development of fast twitch fiber, while slower runs maintain slow twitch fiber

science!

If you want my personal credentials, well, I'm afraid we just don't have enough room.

if you gave a enough monkeys enough time etc....

Do you have a rebuttal or are you just going to insult her?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    ...lol

^this
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Sorry that your thread was hijacked. I would say just focus on finishing the C25K. Once you can run for 30 minutes straight, then work on speed. Interval training will really help with this, but I don't think there is a point in doing it until you can run for at least 30 minutes straight.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

Sigh.

science!

Do you have a rebuttal or are you just going to insult her?

You already know the answer to that.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member

Sigh.

science!

they too would come to the conclusion that you are wrong?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    someone craves attention.