Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    never go to this doctor again ….
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,911 Member
    Options
    I really don't believe the story at all, way too many red flags, sorry just my opinion.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Well I went to her for a second opinion, particularly as my thyroid is "sluggish". I gave her my long history of trying to lose weight, blood tests other doctors had taken, hormone tests my naturopath had done, a diet plan a dietician had done for me.

I was in shock when she said it, and I got out and "lost it", more so as I'm getting married in 3 weeks and I felt as though she was saying I was so ridiculously fat that I should need something so drastic to lose weight.

Now I'm currently a US Size 10/ Aus Size 12 (Although my wedding dress is a US Size 8, so I'm pretty happy with that lol). I don't think I qualify as morbidly obese, but she certainly made me feel that way.

She followed this advice by saying if 500 calories a day doesn't work for me I should consider lap band surgery or the like. Again, made me feel as though I was as big as some of those people I see in documentary's that need to break down walls of their house to get them out of there!!!

How tall are you? What do you weigh? A US10 is nowhere near big. No doctor would ever advocate 500 calories to someone who is a normal size/weight.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I really don't believe the story at all, way too many red flags, sorry just my opinion.

Really, what red flags??? I've told the story exactly as it happenned, can't see why I would post something about 500 calories a day without a reason.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Well I went to her for a second opinion, particularly as my thyroid is "sluggish".
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

This post is full of good advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thanks so much :-)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Really, what red flags??? I've told the story exactly as it happenned, can't see why I would post something about 500 calories a day without a reason.

because this is the internet. people post all kinds of things everywhere just for the lolz.

in any case, get a new doctor
  • bribrijean234
    bribrijean234 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have no intention of following this advice. I have heard of people with extremely slow metabolisms who function on that sort of caloric intake, but that is extremely rare!

What worries me is that a doctor makes such a bold statement as 'eat 500 cals per day' but offers no further guidance about macro composition of the diet or how to ensure adequate nutrition in such a small amount of food.

Time for another opinion I think.

^this. Cant believe a doctor would offer such drastic "advice" without guidance on the proper way to get adequate nutrition on such an extreme diet. And worse yet, that lap band surgery would even be suggested to someone your size who is clearly not obese!

If it were me, I'd definitely question her on the spot and then go find a new doctor regardless.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    She followed this advice by saying if 500 calories a day doesn't work for me I should consider lap band surgery or the like. Again, made me feel as though I was as big as some of those people I see in documentary's that need to break down walls of their house to get them out of there!!!

Does SHE do this kind of surgery? Seems like a business savvy doctor ("hmmmm... if I can convince people of "normal" weight that they are obese and when I recommend eating 500 calories so their bodies go into starvation mode and they will necessarily FAIL, they will come back to me and I'll be able to make a bunch of MONEY by giving them a risky surgery they don't actually need!")

That's what I was thinking. At least in the U.S., GPs get a pay boost when they perform surgeries.

As a premedical/health policy student in the US, I feel like I should say this isn't really how it works. GPs--people who have completed an internal medicine residency--are in no way qualified to perform bariatric surgery. Most of them don't even like to do stitches. They would give a referral to a bariatric surgeon--someone who has completed a general surgery residency, should have some additional training after residency, and should work in an accredited bariatric center--and I suppose they might get something for the referral, but I don't think so.

But I echo everyone on this board who has said that eating only 500 calories/day is an incredibly bad idea. And that you should a) investigate this doctor's credentials and b) find a new one regardless of what you find out.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well I went to her for a second opinion, particularly as my thyroid is "sluggish". I gave her my long history of trying to lose weight, blood tests other doctors had taken, hormone tests my naturopath had done, a diet plan a dietician had done for me.

I was in shock when she said it, and I got out and "lost it", more so as I'm getting married in 3 weeks and I felt as though she was saying I was so ridiculously fat that I should need something so drastic to lose weight.

Now I'm currently a US Size 10/ Aus Size 12 (Although my wedding dress is a US Size 8, so I'm pretty happy with that lol). I don't think I qualify as morbidly obese, but she certainly made me feel that way.

Call me cynical, but could this recommendation from her be because she really doesn't want you as a patient? Perhaps she is hoping you'll find a new doctor on your own volition.

Crazy, but it happens. If you are too pushy, if "nothing works" for you and you only have about 20 lbs to lose, she may just give you the most insane advice hoping you'll go elsewhere so she doesn't have to deal. KWIM?
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    You sure it wasn't the receptionist in a white coat just playing with you?

My mind is blown.

So is mine..
  • DCINTEL
    Options
    Did you misunderstand what he was saying? And he actually meant 500 cal per meal? (I hope so)
    if not you seriously need a new physician, eating just 500 calories a DAY would lead to health problems if done for any extended period of time.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I have this suspicious that you misunderstood the doctor. You sure he didn't suggest a 500 calorie deficit?

No misunderstanding, she even wrote it down on a piece of paper for me.
    Why?
  • neanderthin
    Options

The first glaring one is a Dr. giving such advice. Regardless of how much actual nutritional schooling a Dr. might or might not have there's just no way they would have not either saw the journals, talked to peers or talked in general regarding the HCG diet and the dangers that arose from that diet let alone advise someone to eat that low without medical supervision or nutritional supplementation could be seen as malpractice, not to mention the Hippocratic Oath. If someone was to actually take this to heart and adhere to their Dr's orders, they could actually die, fortunately you would probably binge or someone would have got help for you when you looked like you were ready to expire.
  • 4realrose8
    Options

The first glaring one is a Dr. giving such advice. Regardless of how much actual nutritional schooling a Dr. might or might not have there's just no way they would have not either saw the journals, talked to peers or talked in general regarding the HCG diet and the dangers that arose from that diet let alone advise someone to eat that low without medical supervision or nutritional supplementation could be seen as malpractice, not to mention the Hippocratic Oath.

My theory, if OP is telling the truth, is the doctor is trying to brush her off. I mean, 10 kg is only like 20 lbs. Lap band? Seriously? Sounds like the doctor may not mesh well with OP personality and is trying to say something so insanely off the wall so she will go elsewhere.
  • neanderthin
    Options

The first glaring one is a Dr. giving such advice. Regardless of how much actual nutritional schooling a Dr. might or might not have there's just no way they would have not either saw the journals, talked to peers or talked in general regarding the HCG diet and the dangers that arose from that diet let alone advise someone to eat that low without medical supervision or nutritional supplementation could be seen as malpractice, not to mention the Hippocratic Oath.

My theory, if OP is telling the truth, is the doctor is trying to brush her off. I mean, 10 kg is only like 20 lbs. Lap band? Seriously? Sounds like the doctor may not mesh well with OP personality and is trying to say something so insanely off the wall so she will go elsewhere.
    Doesn't make sense. In reality what would happen to the patient if they followed that advice to the letter? Tell them to eat 2000 calories if you want someone to get lost.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    did you find this Dr in a cracker jack box?
  • 4realrose8
    Options

Doesn't make sense. In reality what would happen to the patient if they followed that advice to the letter?

She would eventually get hungry and eat. Maybe? I don't know. The whole story sounds crazy.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have this suspicious that you misunderstood the doctor. You sure he didn't suggest a 500 calorie deficit?
    No misunderstanding, she even wrote it down on a piece of paper for me.
    Why?

Why not? My doctor often writes instructions down for me when I go to her with a problem. I guess because some people forget stuff...?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Wow… I'm at a loss for words.
  • 4realrose8
    Options
    OP-- you said this was a "second opinion"

What was the first opinion that you did not agree with that made you seek a second one???