500 Calories a day??

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    Options
    I have this suspicious that you misunderstood the doctor. You sure he didn't suggest a 500 calorie deficit?
    No misunderstanding, she even wrote it down on a piece of paper for me.
    Why?

Why not? My doctor often writes instructions down for me when I go to her with a problem. I guess because some people forget stuff...?
    DR. Yes, I'm going to write down 500 calories on this piece of paper because I know you don't believe me and I want you to have some proof when you sue me for malpractice.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    A US size 8 is not big at all! That is right in the middle of our sizes, if I am not mistaken.

I'm a US size 8, and as you see in my pic, I'm far from huge.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I really don't believe the story at all, way too many red flags, sorry just my opinion.

Really, what red flags??? I've told the story exactly as it happenned, can't see why I would post something about 500 calories a day without a reason.
    The first glaring one is a Dr. giving such advice. Regardless of how much actual nutritional schooling a Dr. might or might not have there's just no way they would have not either saw the journals, talked to peers or talked in general regarding the HCG diet and the dangers that arose from that diet let alone advise someone to eat that low without medical supervision or nutritional supplementation could be seen as malpractice, not to mention the Hippocratic Oath.

My theory, if OP is telling the truth, is the doctor is trying to brush her off. I mean, 10 kg is only like 20 lbs. Lap band? Seriously? Sounds like the doctor may not mesh well with OP personality and is trying to say something so insanely off the wall so she will go elsewhere.
    Doesn't make sense. In reality what would happen to the patient if they followed that advice to the letter?

She would eventually get hungry and eat. Maybe? I don't know. The whole story sounds crazy.
    I edited my previous post and made that comment. lol

This could be factual, I just have my doubts, and it is the internet and there's lots of pro ana happening all the time.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was 500 calories per MEAL or 500 calorie DEFICIT per day?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Well I went to her for a second opinion, particularly as my thyroid is "sluggish". I gave her my long history of trying to lose weight, blood tests other doctors had taken, hormone tests my naturopath had done, a diet plan a dietician had done for me.

I was in shock when she said it, and I got out and "lost it", more so as I'm getting married in 3 weeks and I felt as though she was saying I was so ridiculously fat that I should need something so drastic to lose weight.

Now I'm currently a US Size 10/ Aus Size 12 (Although my wedding dress is a US Size 8, so I'm pretty happy with that lol). I don't think I qualify as morbidly obese, but she certainly made me feel that way.

She followed this advice by saying if 500 calories a day doesn't work for me I should consider lap band surgery or the like. Again, made me feel as though I was as big as some of those people I see in documentary's that need to break down walls of their house to get them out of there!!!

Lap band surgery?!?! You wouldn't even qualify as a candidate… what kind of doctor is she?
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well I went to her for a second opinion, particularly as my thyroid is "sluggish". I gave her my long history of trying to lose weight, blood tests other doctors had taken, hormone tests my naturopath had done, a diet plan a dietician had done for me.

I was in shock when she said it, and I got out and "lost it", more so as I'm getting married in 3 weeks and I felt as though she was saying I was so ridiculously fat that I should need something so drastic to lose weight.

Now I'm currently a US Size 10/ Aus Size 12 (Although my wedding dress is a US Size 8, so I'm pretty happy with that lol). I don't think I qualify as morbidly obese, but she certainly made me feel that way.

She followed this advice by saying if 500 calories a day doesn't work for me I should consider lap band surgery or the like. Again, made me feel as though I was as big as some of those people I see in documentary's that need to break down walls of their house to get them out of there!!!

Lap band surgery?!?! You wouldn't even qualify as a candidate… what kind of doctor is she?

An imaginary one? A MFP member doctor who frequents these forums so much that forum sarcasm has spilled over into real life patient consultations?
  • xomorganjc
    xomorganjc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I tried this... and yes, I ended up in the hospital the morning of the 3rd day. My body went into starvation mode and I passed out several times.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have this suspicious that you misunderstood the doctor. You sure he didn't suggest a 500 calorie deficit?
    Why?

Why not? My doctor often writes instructions down for me when I go to her with a problem. I guess because some people forget stuff...?
    DR. Yes, I'm going to write down 500 calories on this piece of paper because I know you don't believe me and I want you to have some proof when you sue me for malpractice.

She wrote it down on the piece of paper I had handed her at the start of the consultation listing the issues I have been having.

I find it weird to have to justify what has happened ... apparently I must have nothing better to do then make up crazy stories about dr's ?!?!?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

An imaginary one? A MFP member doctor who frequents these forums so much that forum sarcasm has spilled over into real life patient consultations?

Only person I'm sensing sarcasm from is you………….

OP hasn't been sarcastic once in this entire thread.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I really don't believe the story at all, way too many red flags, sorry just my opinion.

Really, what red flags??? I've told the story exactly as it happenned, can't see why I would post something about 500 calories a day without a reason.
    The first glaring one is a Dr. giving such advice. Regardless of how much actual nutritional schooling a Dr. might or might not have there's just no way they would have not either saw the journals, talked to peers or talked in general regarding the HCG diet and the dangers that arose from that diet let alone advise someone to eat that low without medical supervision or nutritional supplementation could be seen as malpractice, not to mention the Hippocratic Oath.

My theory, if OP is telling the truth, is the doctor is trying to brush her off. I mean, 10 kg is only like 20 lbs. Lap band? Seriously? Sounds like the doctor may not mesh well with OP personality and is trying to say something so insanely off the wall so she will go elsewhere.
    Doesn't make sense. In reality what would happen to the patient if they followed that advice to the letter?

She would eventually get hungry and eat. Maybe? I don't know. The whole story sounds crazy.
    I edited my previous post and made that comment. lol

This could be factual, I just have my doubts, and it is the internet and there's lots of pro ana happening all the time.

HA, I'm far from pro ana, and certainly wouldn't put a topic up to promote anything like 500 calories per day. I made it clear that I had no intention of following this advice, because it sounded crazy to me. If my post read something along the lines of "I'm going to follow the advice, what are people's tips for eating" etc, then maybe it could be regarded as trolling.

It would only get to the point of being negligent IF I chose to follow this and ended up with a permenant side effect, that's how medical negligence laws work here in Aus.

Each to their own, but really, your skepticism is apparently making you read WAY too much into an innocent post.
  • 4realrose8
    Options
    Why?

She wrote it down on the piece of paper I had handed her at the start of the consultation listing the issues I have been having.

I find it weird to have to justify what has happened ... apparently I must have nothing better to do then make up crazy stories about dr's ?!?!?

Maybe she's giving you a temporary VLCD plan of 500 cal so you can fit in your wedding dress in 3 weeks, no? And the lap band comment may have been a joke, yes?

You only have 20 lbs to lose. That's not a lot. And, people do go on fasts and survive. Clearly 500 calories per day is not a lifestyle, long term plan.
  • jcrawford2780
    Options
    Your doctor is obviously confusing you with another patient. The only person I know who was ever put on such a low calorie diet was my grandmother, and she had open heart surgery and was suffering from congestive heart failure. Get a new doctor. From the sound of it, if you increase your daily caloric expenditure, even without a change in diet, you will manage to lose the 10kg you want. Also, consider going to another doctor. One who does not "project" the problems of other patients on you.
  • 4realrose8
    Options

Only person I'm sensing sarcasm from is you………….

OP hasn't been sarcastic once in this entire thread.

I was referring to OP doctor. You have to admit it sounds like crazy advice.....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical association in your country where you can report this doctor? Just the fact that she told you to eat 50 calories and suggest band surgery as an option for you to lose 22 pounds is ludicrous.

Size 8 is a fine size. Make sure you lose your 22 pounds slowly, as that's not much to lose.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I just looked up how much overweight someone has to be for lap band surgery. Lap band surgery is only for people with BMIs of 40 or higher, or 30 or higher, if there is a "comorbid" condition present, such as diabetes, heart disease, etc., and the patient has been unsuccessful losing weight. 20 lbs. overweight wouldn't even qualify as a BMI of over 30 unless she's very petite (around 5'1" or 5'2"). For instance, I'm 5'1.5", and I'd have to weigh at least 160 to qualify for lap band surgery. Also, a 500 calorie diet is not recommended without a was doctor and nutirtionist direct supervision, typically only for extremely obese patients whose health is at risk. However, there are doctors in Mexico who will do lap bands on people who are only modestly overweight.... Maybe this is where her doctor will send her?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Why?

I could go on with more red flags with the general tone/word phrasing that could be interpreted in a way that describes someones insecurities and body image (BDD) and I see more.......but maybe it's late and I should go to bed, sorry I really don't mean to upset you, just mentioning the possibility. Seriously, report the Dr. immediately before someone and not necessarily you end up in the ER.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This is why I worry about VLCDers, even if they say they are under the care of a doctor. 'cause that is just crazy town.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Maybe 500 calories per meal, not for the whole day. :-)

I was thinking the same thing-- each meal?! Lol
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do the 5:2 or sometimes 4:3 diet, which means 2 or 3 days a week you only eat 500 calories and the other 4 or 5 you eat whatever you want, within reason. But it's not every day. On the 500 calorie days you can get pretty creative and eat more than you think, mostly veggies. You do lose weight really quickly and easily on it, and I don't feel like I'm starving in any way because the day you are at 500 calories, you know the next day you can have whatever. :drinker:
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I would run away from that doctor real fast and never return!