I wanna cry, I been going 2 weeks and nothing!!!

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Down with the H8ers! Boo! Hissssss!
  • ljoycew
    ljoycew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Andrea3030's profile picture reveals her to be an infant, and the weight loss advice of infants is notoriously unscientific.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    You probably have not lost any weight since you are already at weight. If anything you are technically underweight.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    If you want to tone eat more and lift weights... cutting calories will not make you leaner

This.
    I'm 5 10 as well and would never think of going that underweight. Each body is different, of course, but that's very low weight for your height.
    You don't need to lose weight. Gain a few pounds and lift weights.
  • reginadelmundo
    Options
    Perfect.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

If you "fell off of the wagon" it was because you made it a change that you couldn't keep up with. Make little changes. Make the wagon easier to stay on.

...and specifically, make a point to outright ignore any/all of those damned sales reps like our buddy up there that's trying to help you lose weight in your wallet. Scum of the damned forums

DO. NOT. LOWER. YOUR. CALORIES.

love this and the fact that you are copy/pasting it on all these stupid posts.

Makes me smile every time I see it show up. Saves me a ton o' typing. :D
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Its not about your weight. Its all about measurements and the way you feel about yourself. LIFT some weights. There are plenty of free programs out there. Do your own research . Be your own champion. Don't be painfully thin, be awesomely strong and tight
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    1200.. you mean, like, for breakfast?
  • Andrea3030
    Options
    Breast milk is SO fattening:(
  • willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

If you "fell off of the wagon" it was because you made it a change that you couldn't keep up with. Make little changes. Make the wagon easier to stay on.

...and specifically, make a point to outright ignore any/all of those damned sales reps like our buddy up there that's trying to help you lose weight in your wallet. Scum of the damned forums

You are AWESOME!!! Great advice :)
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    2 weeks? Try 2 months....
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1200 is way to high! better eat around 700
    IXUO5zJ.gif

Awesome post Trog!

You are your own gif! My new hero!!!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    up your calories to about 1500-1700, the loss will start.....
  • Serenitynow29
    Serenitynow29 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    1200 is way to high! better eat around 700
    IXUO5zJ.gif

And the winner is...^^^^^^ This gent!
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is hardly enough time to get results. Here is a motivational quote I like....

"It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Give it 12 weeks. Don't quit!"
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

Solid.

And I'll assume one of the MFP mods nuked the sales rep...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Solid.

thankfully. it was the most blatant pitch I had seen.. lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Solid.

They're not even trying to be subtle now, huh?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Solid.

They're not even trying to be subtle now, huh?
    username had product in it. then they had the nerve to ask us to kick them.. whatever that's about..