Generally what has more calories Pasta or Rice?

Options
Hi, my meals without pasta, rice or potatoes just aren't filling me up. So having cut them out for the last few months I want to bring them back in, but using the MFP database the calorie values of average cooked pasta and rice varies SO wildly that I don't trust any of them. What in general has more calories cooked - 100g of Penne Pasta, or 100g of Basmati White Rice?

Thanks.

Replies

• sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There are 371 calories in 100g of spaghetti and there are 111 calories in 100g of white rice.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Rice is better, always. For me at least
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Instead of using the database entries, weigh your pasta or rice and use the packaging to enter you own data. That way, you will be as accurate as you can be. Otherwise, these are all just guesses.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Uncooked there are around 350 calories in 100 g of rice and 350 cals in 100 g of pasta.

Pasta will absorb more water so will give you more volume of food for the same calories, but rice is less processed and should therefore take longer to digest.

At the end of the day, it's much of a muchness so eat what you prefer and what keeps you most satisfied.

Why not try having brown rice or wholegrain pasta? There will be a higher fibre content and therefore should be more satiating.

Alternative filling carbs include quinoa or sweet potato.
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try egg noodles as a pasta alternative. They're only about 175kcal for 100g uncooked.
  • zealey77
    zealey77 Posts: 104
    Options
    Instead of using the database entries, weigh your pasta or rice and use the packaging to enter you own data. That way, you will be as accurate as you can be. Otherwise, these are all just guesses.

I know this probably sounds stoopid, but all the info on the rice and pasta just says for 85g or per 100g - it never says whether that is cooked or uncooked weight.
  • zealey77
    Options
    Try egg noodles as a pasta alternative. They're only about 175kcal for 100g uncooked.

Egg noodles - excellent advice! I hadn't considered that. Thanks. That's what I'll do instead. x
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I know this probably sounds stoopid, but all the info on the rice and pasta just says for 85g or per 100g - it never says whether that is cooked or uncooked weight.

Typically, the nutritional values on the box are for the precooked weight. This may not apply for boxed pasta with sauces, etc. But dry pasta and rice (with nothing added) should be measured dry. If anyone has any other explanation - I'm sure they'll chime in.
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The additional weight after cooking is only from water, so 0cals. If it comes dry, weigh it like that before cooking.
  • djs2303
    djs2303 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My friend makes Cauliflower Rice as a rice alternative...Surprisingly nice

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/caulirice.htm
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You could always go for brown rice - I replaced white rice with brown rice, which is actually better for you to some degree.

As far as pasta goes, you could always eat wholewheat pasta. I actually rarely have pasta anymore, I much prefer rice.

As far as calories go, I use boil in the bag rice, and usually in 200 grams, there is just over 300 calories, so half that number for 100 grams. Not entirely sure what calorie content pasta has, because I've not eaten it for so long!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

UGH! Cauliflower is NOT rice, neither is it pasta!

OP, rice can be added to just about any dish for low calories. White rice is more versatile and also more nutritious, but some things go really well with wild rice.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Typically, the nutritional values on the box are for the precooked weight. This may not apply for boxed pasta with sauces, etc. But dry pasta and rice (with nothing added) should be measured dry. If anyone has any other explanation - I'm sure they'll chime in.

Definitely weigh it dry. The amount of water that can soak in will vary widely, affecting the weight.
  • djs2303
    Options

Clever one...indeed it is not, however as I stated, it can be used as an alternative. As the op is obviously cal counting, and cauliflower is less cals, they may find this useful. No need to shoot people down, were all here for the same reasons.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Clever one...indeed it is not, however as I stated, it can be used as an alternative. As the op is obviously cal counting, and cauliflower is less cals, they may find this useful. No need to shoot people down, were all here for the same reasons.

What makes you think everyone is here for the same reasons? I am definitely not here for cauliflower recipes. Cauliflower is nasty, imo. Rice is delicious and fairly low calorie. There's NO reason to avoid it.
  • zealey77
    Options

What makes you think everyone is here for the same reasons? I am definitely not here for cauliflower recipes. Cauliflower is nasty, imo. Rice is delicious and fairly low calorie. There's NO reason to avoid it.

Haha, that's a strong reaction to cauliflower- did you have a bad experience with it as a child ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Haha, that's a strong reaction to cauliflower- did you have a bad experience with it as a child ;)

Really? Thinking a particular food tastes gross is a "strong reaction?" So I guess you like everything? Not a single food you find gross?

I also think cabbage and sauerkraut taste gross. There might be a few more that I can't think of. Want a list? Are you here for the reason of finding out what tastes gross? :laugh:
  • djs2303
    Options

Really? Thinking a particular food tastes gross is a "strong reaction?" So I guess you like everything? Not a single food you find gross?

I also think cabbage and sauerkraut taste gross. There might be a few more that I can't think of. Want a list? Are you here for the reason of finding out what tastes gross? :laugh:

Looks like your here for an arguement, sorry OP, this has taken over your post.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi, my meals without pasta, rice or potatoes just aren't filling me up. So having cut them out for the last few months I want to bring them back in, but using the MFP database the calorie values of average cooked pasta and rice varies SO wildly that I don't trust any of them. What in general has more calories cooked - 100g of Penne Pasta, or 100g of Basmati White Rice?

Thanks.

1/4 cup dry rice = 180 - 190 calories which will yield about 1 cup cooked. (depending on the rice - white, rice or black rice). I cook my rice in the oven along with the rest of my meal and everything in ready in one go.

1/4 cup is enough to eat - and I am a rice lover. Fill up the plate with vegetables, or have a small bowl of home made soup before eating the main meal.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Looks like your here for an arguement, sorry OP, this has taken over your post.

No, I came here to tell OP that rice is lower in calories than pasta, which was the question at hand. You are the one who went off-topic with your cauliflower nonsense. :flowerforyou: