Why calorie counting is ridiculous

Options

Replies

• eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have not read the whole thing (yet), but cal counting is a good educational tool for beginners. But obsesseive cal counting for life, that is not healthy.

I know because I experienced a backlash after reaching my goal and feeling sooo tired of having numbers in my head all the time!

I would disagree. For those whose bodies don't naturally regulate eating at a healthy weight, counting calories is just as good an idea as keeping a financial budget.

For me personally, having pretty much reached my goal, I find that keeping track of my intake actually gives me more freedom than if I didn't. Whatever I eat, I have the confidence that it won't cause me to go off track and start gaining the weight back. So I don't stress about it.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Counting calories has worked wonders for me. But it works due to several contributing factors:

- I decreased my caloric intake gradually. (Actually at first I just logged to see what I was really eating. It was eye-opening.) I never felt deprived.
    - I started measuring my food and learned what serving sizes really are. (Another eye-opener!)
    - I realized I could get more out of my calories if I ate better food -that meant more fruits and veggies and lean protein.
    - I sought out and discovered many no-calorie or lower calorie options - almond milk, decaffinated (yet totally fragrant and delicious) teas, eating less bread (not no-bread, just less), etc.
    - I discovered protein snacks keep me satisfied longer.
    - I realized I could have more food if I exercised.
    - I did not expect instant results. (I did see slow steady progress.)
    - I did not give up real butter, or cookies, or carbs. I just moderated my use of them.
    - I did not punish myself, deprive myself or set unrealistic goals.

Counting calories was the key that opened the door to so many healthy adjustments!
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think calorie counting works if that's the kind of relationship you're willing to have with food.

Personally, having done it in the past, it's not remotely the kind of relationship I want. I've lost none of my 130lbs or so counting a single calorie, logging, measuring, etc. I prefer other ways to get my deficit in that are just much more sustainable to me. I also prefer a more intuitive way of eating, understanding real hunger vs cravings, satiation, etc. I don't want a weigh/measure/log relationship with food for the rest of my existence, and I'd prefer to eat more like human beings have for the majority of our history (hint: nobody knew what a "calorie" was).

THIS
  • ashleyder
    ashleyder Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm ... just going to make the observation that I lost approximately 50 pounds counting calories. Weight that I've successfully kept off for years now ... by counting calories. I have not altered the types of things that I eat. I don't eat natural, organic, or even particularly healthy foods most of the time. My relationship with my food, in the sense of 'quality', didn't alter at all. (I don't tout that last bit as a 'good' thing; just laying it out there like it is ...) So ... yeah. I'm going to have to disagree with a blanket statement that counting calories does not work, and especially that it makes you gain weight. I'd be a balloon if that were true.

Furthermore, my father, who has struggled for many, many, many years with his weight, has finally been experiencing success due to buckling down and counting calories. So forgive me if I trust the evidence of my own body and my own eyes.
  • ashleyder
    ashleyder Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have not read the whole thing (yet), but cal counting is a good educational tool for beginners. But obsesseive cal counting for life, that is not healthy.

I know because I experienced a backlash after reaching my goal and feeling sooo tired of having numbers in my head all the time!

I would disagree. For those whose bodies don't naturally regulate eating at a healthy weight, counting calories is just as good an idea as keeping a financial budget.

For me personally, having pretty much reached my goal, I find that keeping track of my intake actually gives me more freedom than if I didn't. Whatever I eat, I have the confidence that it won't cause me to go off track and start gaining the weight back. So I don't stress about it.

This has also been my experience in counting calories. I actually feel greater freedom with my food intake and less guilt when I treat myself to something because I know with confidence what I can eat without ruining all my hard work.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Just because you got obsessive about it doesn't mean everyone else does. Some of us like numbers.
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, please refrain from being abusive... this was up for discussion. Agree or disagree and state your point of view.

Calling either myself or the author of the blog names does not do justice to yourself or the argument.

Thank you,
    Ciprian
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It would be FABULOUS to not have to count calories on here and monitor my calories burned with FitBit, but guess what?! I have to! I'm an AMERICAN, which means that through society, the food industry and the way I was raised, eating intuitively doesn't come naturally to me. It comes naturally to any other living being on the planet, and it comes naturally to even other humans who come from different backgrounds than myself, but no, it doesn't come natural to me. I and everyone else was born to eat only what our bodies needed, but that natural instinct is so suppressed by other environmental factors. But hey, I'll do me!
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It seems to me she is forgetting that people are WAY less active today than they were "pre-1970s".

Exactly ! This is what I was thinking.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Her response...

http://charlotteord.blogspot.ca/2014/02/more-blog-abuse.html

Where she uses a SS of someone's log totals...with a loss of 1/2lb...not context no individual entries etc.

She is a quack.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation. It's also true that French people tend to weigh less than Americans. So, speaking French makes you lose weight!:huh:
    Corrélation n'est pas égal de causalité

See, I bet you lost, like, 5 pounds right there!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pre-1970's were thin? Then why do I have vivid memories of when I was in elementary school in the 1960s with the Moms coming at the end of the day (most were stay at home back then) and probably 75% of them were morbidly obese?

Curious as to what country/area this was. My mom was considered "fat" when I was kid in the 1960's as were many other moms. But, she was 5'4" and weighed less than 150 lbs. I only remember knowing 2 women who were actually obese and they were both old ladies.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Pre-1970's were thin? Then why do I have vivid memories of when I was in elementary school in the 1960s with the Moms coming at the end of the day (most were stay at home back then) and probably 75% of them were morbidly obese?

Curious as to what country/area this was. My mom was considered "fat" when I was kid in the 1960's as were many other moms. But, she was 5'4" and weighed less than 150 lbs. I only remember knowing 2 women who were actually obese and they were both old ladies.

TBH, everyone was big to me in the 70s. I was little.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Great, another fitness coach spouting nonsense. I wish there was a minimum intelligence requirement for becoming a fitness coach.

The only thing two fitness coaches can agree on is that the third one is doing it wrong.
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Great, another fitness coach spouting nonsense. I wish there was a minimum intelligence requirement for becoming a fitness coach.

The only thing two fitness coaches can agree on is that the third one is doing it wrong.

^^ lol agreed
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    bumping to keep the blog link to check out later - thanks
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Her response...

http://charlotteord.blogspot.ca/2014/02/more-blog-abuse.html

Where she uses a SS of someone's log totals...with a loss of 1/2lb...not context no individual entries etc.

She is a quack.

Thanks for posting that link - I'm curious - what kind of workout is her "someone with less than 40% body fat" doing that gives them a average net TDEE of -1641 calories? Average mind you! And the average caloric intake quoted is 2307.

Obviously a quack. - it's the old there are three types of lies; lies, damned lies, and statistics.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Well, to each his/her own, and different strokes for different folks. Now, with the clichés out of the way, calorie counting is merely one tool in the toolbox (a metaphor this time). I use it to gauge whether or not I should have that triple malt at 9 p.m., or would 3 oz of raspberries be a better idea. Or, if I really want the triple malt can I cut out something earlier in the day to allow me all those calories without doing too much damage. I think most people have no idea how much they eat and swear they didn't really eat twice the amount they thought they did today.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    In
  • Davebwg
    Davebwg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I counted calories to get where I am.... down 116lbs....