Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Everyone read the book the Calorie Myth

then we will all be up to speed enough to discuss this with clarity

http://www.amazon.com/The-Calorie-Myth-Exercise-Weight/dp/0062267337

better yet you give us a synopsis of it then we all don't have to waste money on a book with no real value...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I think my ticker offers concrete evidence that the calorie-counting model of weight loss does work. Why should I read a book that is plainly not consistent with my reality?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Pre-1970's were thin? Then why do I have vivid memories of when I was in elementary school in the 1960s with the Moms coming at the end of the day (most were stay at home back then) and probably 75% of them were morbidly obese?

Curious as to what country/area this was. My mom was considered "fat" when I was kid in the 1960's as were many other moms. But, she was 5'4" and weighed less than 150 lbs. I only remember knowing 2 women who were actually obese and they were both old ladies.

TBH, everyone was big to me in the 70s. I was little.

Weren't women pregnant a lot in the '60's?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

No thanks, I'm good.

Calorie counting is a myth that's working perfectly for me.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Pre-1970's were thin? Then why do I have vivid memories of when I was in elementary school in the 1960s with the Moms coming at the end of the day (most were stay at home back then) and probably 75% of them were morbidly obese?

Curious as to what country/area this was. My mom was considered "fat" when I was kid in the 1960's as were many other moms. But, she was 5'4" and weighed less than 150 lbs. I only remember knowing 2 women who were actually obese and they were both old ladies.

TBH, everyone was big to me in the 70s. I was little.

Weren't women pregnant a lot in the '60's?

My mom was.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    foods are much different today then the 70s. Much more processing, chemicals and such.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    foods are much different today then the 70s. Much more processing, chemicals and such.

Really?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

No thanks, I'm good.

that myth helped me lose forty pounds….
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think my ticker offers concrete evidence that the calorie-counting model of weight loss does work. Why should I read a book that is plainly not consistent with my reality?

you must be living in the fourth dimension…also known as the 'calorie counting works dimension' ….In the other three dimensions calorie counting is a myth….
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

No thanks, I'm good.

That same myth has helped me intentionally lose and then gain 20-30 pounds...with a surprising degree of accuracy based on years of daily food and weight logs. What a strange coincidence for such an apparently flawed system, huh?
  • ndj1979
    Options

No thanks, I'm good.

That same myth has helped me intentionally lose and then gain 20-30 pounds...with a surprising degree of accuracy based on years of daily food and weight logs. What a strange coincidence for such an apparently flawed system, huh?

yea, for a jacked up system it sure seems to work well ….
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

That doesn't line up with what others have said in this thread regarding their experience in the 70s.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    5Gg1wiB.jpg
  • saraslagle
    saraslagle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    She is entitled to her opinion. The 70's were quite different. We didn't have a fast food restaurant on every corner. We didn't have the donut shops with "hot" signs to draw people in. I was a nutrition educator for WIC for several years and a typical 24 hr recall for clients (peri and post-natal clients, and children 5 and under) were breakfast at McDonald's, lunch at Burger King and dinner from KFC, with sweet tea, soda, or Sunny Delite to wash it down. Although we didn't add up calories, we looked at the overall fat and sugar content, and the lack of fresh fruits and vegetables and the lack of whole grains. (Which if corrected would reduce the number of calories greatly!
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    "Personal Trainer of the year 2010".

lol. She couldn't even get an amateur fitness competitor into shape if she tried.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    She must not know about bodybuilding
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I don't think its ridiculous but I do know those who have lost weight, and kept it off and do not calorie count.

So with that being said I'm a firm believer in doing what is best for you.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    She is entitled to her opinion. The 70's were quite different. We didn't have a fast food restaurant on every corner. We didn't have the donut shops with "hot" signs to draw people in. I was a nutrition educator for WIC for several years and a typical 24 hr recall for clients (peri and post-natal clients, and children 5 and under) were breakfast at McDonald's, lunch at Burger King and dinner from KFC, with sweet tea, soda, or Sunny Delite to wash it down. Although we didn't add up calories, we looked at the overall fat and sugar content, and the lack of fresh fruits and vegetables and the lack of whole grains. (Which if corrected would reduce the number of calories greatly!

Throughout the 70s and 80s, I lived ~30 miles away from the nearest McD, BK, or KFC. That said, I consumed a ridiculous amount of poptarts, butter and jelly sandwiches, chocolate milk, fruity pebbles, sweet tea, soda, and my mom cooked all kinds of delicious fried foods. My diet today looks slightly different.

I was also remarkably active in the 70s and 80s and didn't have a weight problem despite my diet. Probably just more coincidences.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That doesn't line up with what others have said in this thread regarding their experience in the 70s.

The OP's article referred to pre 1970's, and while it’s true that fast food and premade meals were just beginning to really take over the dinner table at that time. Processed foods were in full swing. Bologna and other packaged “lunch meats”, Dinty Moore canned beef stew, La Choy canned Chinese dinners, deviled ham, potted meat, canned hot dog chili, hot dogs, panake mix, Bisquick, Hamburger Helper, breakfast cereals, white bread, white flour, white rice, pasta, … these are just a few of the things I remember having frequently when I was kid.

The Pillsbury Dough Boy dates back to 1965.

Personally, I ate WAY more whole natural foods while I was gaining weight than when I was alive in the 60's and 70's.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    "It will wreck your metabolic homeostasis.

Further proof that you really don't need to count calories to maintain a healthy weight is that we are the only species on the planet who counts them."

Umm last time I checked that isn't proof of anything. That's just her opinion, not backed up by any research.