Why calorie counting is ridiculous

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    LOL
  • I stopped reading at the first incorrect fact... something about the 1970s and calorie counting... this is hogwash. I can eat 6 lbs of all-natural, organic cheesecake (infused with the sweat of the great yogis in the world) daily. I'm not going to lose. Calories count.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    "Don't count calories, it'll make you fatter! However, if you purchase The Biggest Loser protein shakes, snacks, and workout DVDs, all of your wildest dreams will come true."

giphy_zps4680e543.gif
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    whaaaaaat_zpsc28d5d28.gif
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    "Don't count calories, it'll make you fatter! However, if you purchase The Biggest Loser protein shakes, snacks, and workout DVDs, all of your wildest dreams will come true."

voteforpedro.gif
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member

voteforpedro.gif

napoleon-dynamite-dance-scene-o.gif
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Wait, she's serious? :noway:

I have never been more successful with weight loss/maintenance than I have since joining MFP and counting calories. Yes, I have times when I take a break or go off rails, but I always come back. Why?!?! Because it works, that's why.

Things were much different in the 70s. To compare today's lifestyle to that one is absurd.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Also, no fat animals??? Never seen a UK native pony then, unless their grass intake is restricted they get really fat, to the point where they are ill as a result and still stuffing their faces, even the ones in Wales on the moors with no addtional food whatsoever.

And my dog would be fat if I let her eat as much as she wanted.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Gimmicks are ridiculous. TV shows putting people through an unsustainable and drastic program instead of teaching smarter, healthier habits is ridiculous.

Complaining about the better, wiser, and more sustainable program is just good business sense.

She knows she's full of crap, but she's trying to sell crap, so she needs to make the better plan look like more crap than her crappy plan she's selling.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    there is another factor that no one mentioned. Back in the 1970s the plates were smaller. Since then the manufacturers have been making plates bigger so as we look at our plates and they look empty we pile more on thinking that we are eating the correct amount. I also agree that in the 1970s we as a society were a lot more active than we are now. Also parents and others are penalized for making our children go outside and play! Ive actually kicked my kids outside and had them complain that they are bored!!!! Makes me mad as all heck! Those of us who grew up in the 70s and 80s had the actual ability to go outside play and not come home till our parents yelled for us. Now I look around and all I see are people who complain that they dont have time to exercise but can sit on their smartphone and tablets for hours on end then go home and sit on the computer WHILE watching tv and eating junk food and take out. smhl
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    If you are not into calorie counting, then why bother doing MFP? No makes you log on here you know...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Also, no fat animals??? Never seen a UK native pony then, unless their grass intake is restricted they get really fat, to the point where they are ill as a result and still stuffing their faces, even the ones in Wales on the moors with no addtional food whatsoever.

Well clearly that grass is processed toxic crap.

:flowerforyou:
  • losingit512
    losingit512 Posts: 24 Member
    It seems to me she is forgetting that people are WAY less active today than they were "pre-1970s". Technology is wonderful but it has made us lazier. Sure the people hunting the wild boar are not going to worry about the calories, but that is because they probably don't spend 9 hours a day glued to a computer. That's my take...

EXACTLY what I was going to say. I also like how she mentioned domesticated animals which generally mean, WAY less movement than their ferrel siblings. This woman grinds MY gears.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    TL:DR translation: "I have no idea what the *kitten* I'm talking about, so please feel free to ignore me."

Thanks. I made to line 3 before I stopped, but it's good to know I didn't miss anything
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

Umm, processed grass . . .
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    I wish I would have heard this before I wasted the last year and a half of my life.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    This one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Oy! Yes... people were more active, people used better foods, not as much processed or fast food crap going around. Things were slower, like my family actually sat down to have a well rounded dinner together every night vs. today where both folks have to work so it's easier picking something up, take out, etc. or throwing something in the microwave. Portion sizes have gotten out of control since the pre 70s. More chemical, additives, etc.

Wow...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Umm, processed grass . . .

Shush you, you didn't even read the article.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    This one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

I second that. Can I get a third and motion to move this post?