Why calorie counting is ridiculous

Replies

• misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    I feel like a lot of her points are just her opinions backed up by metaphors. While it is true that we ate better food back in the day, there really is nothing wrong with having a piece of chocolate or a piece of pizza in moderation. Yeah, our body will have to deal with the toxins, but that's why we eat in moderation. Even though, it wasn't smart for big fast food companies to come out with their crappy food... well, smart for them, they are rich, but we shouldn't have to completely restrict ourselves from it. I really like vegetables and fruit, but I also like a slice of pizza every now and then. I really don't think there is anything wrong with it.
    Just my thoughts.

My aunt would get along with her.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Correlation does not equal causation. It's also true that French people tend to weigh less than Americans. So, speaking French makes you lose weight!:huh:

Mais bien sure!!!!!
  • kittybones
    kittybones Posts: 7 Member
    lol what a moron. obviously nobody here is going to ever agree with her and this threads a giant circlejerk but dear lord

"Let's look at the facts. Not even the scientific facts."
    this sentence about sums it up

all her examples:
    -animals in the wild are overweight but our pets aren't
    -tribes in africa hunting a wild boar

Hunting a wild boar is clearly a lot more physical activity than driving your car to walmart and then taking your HoverRound scooter over to the candy aisle for a chocolate bar. Wild animals are out running around for their food and our pets get let out on a walk once a day maybe. Also scarcity but that's a different issue.

We are the only species that count them because animals can't do math. Animals also don't use toilets, wear clothes, buy houses, and write stupid blogs on the internet. I guess she should stop doing those too. especially the last one.

If you eat 6 avocados a day and then an entire jar of unblanched non-GMO peanut butter and then an entire box of fair trade organic quinoa, you're definitely not going to lose weight either.
    Oh also she's a dumbass for ruining her friends truck. Unleaded instead of diesel, that's pretty rich. Someone that blonde doesn't need to be talking about Science and Health.

this girl needs to take a seat.
    brb gonna go eat 1200 calories of chocolate bars and still gonna be looking better than she does
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    This one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

I second that. Can I get a third and motion to move this post?

Aye!
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Charlotte Ord (of Biggest Loser UK fame) says:

I'll be sure to get all of my information from a t.v. personality. After Ms. Ord I'll start taking Dr. Oz's advice, he's full of weight loss information. And on top of being a t.v. personality, he's even a...doctor!

Ms. Ord is predjudiced and has closed her mind to thoughts and weight loss programs that don't benefit her ($$$).
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    I do agree with Quality over Quantity. But I still count my calories.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    I ate 1lb of round stop steak last night..............yumm
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    The problem is that people don't really learn anything while they're trimming down...they get to some arbitrary goal weight and they're "done"...they've crossed some finish line or sorts.

You can't go back to "normal" unrestricted eating...the only difference between my cut and maintenance is a few hundred calories...that's it. I just don't see how people don't get this. If you go back to "normal" eating then of course you're going to put the weight back on, and then some. There has to be a new "normal"...which is what "lifestyle change" is all about...but that is apparently lost a about 95% of people who have issues maintaining weight after they've lost it.

Reaching your goal weight is just the beginning...you haven't arrived at the finish line...you've just arrived at the starting line of a very long race called, "maintenance." That's where the real work happens...too bad so many people fail to realize this.

I'm sure this chick will put her weight back on too...because she sound like a moron and obviously doesn't really get it.

THIS! This has always been MY issue as a very "goal oriented" person. Not this time, though! :)

I agree this woman doesn't get it. To say that eating a small amount of "****FOOD" will mess up your entire metabolic homeostasis and send you into a spiral of depression, weight gain, and full on body rebellion (hyperbole added) ignores the fact that our bodies are AMAZING. They can withstand a LOT and (assuming you don't have some underlying health condition like diabetes) can accommodate a huge variety of foods. If losing weight is the goal, it really is calories in-calories out.

Now, I think it's true that eating whole and healthier foods will make you FEEL better (physically, mentally, emotionally), and your body will be happier with you... but eating whole foods should be the majority of your food - not necessarily ALL of your food (unless you're super into it and it makes you happy to eat that kind of food all the time).

And I dunno about this idea that folks in the 70s (and prior) ate better than us. Have you seen the cookbooks from back then? They made EVERYTHING into loaves and gross looking molds... used a ton of fat (sour cream, butter, cream cheese, etc.) Now, go back to our hunter/gatherer ancestors - yes, she has a point I suppose...
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Let's look at the facts. Not even the scientific facts. Just the plain old glaringly obvious ones.

Right here is when the article went from just plain dumb to ultra retard mode.

Yeah, lets just ignore all that sciencey stuff...
  • jen14128
    jen14128 Posts: 24 Member
    I don't even know where to start on this... Okay, of course natural foods = weighing less. If you live off of fresh, natural foods you probably do not need to watch your calories, but I don't live on a farm. I have to rely on the junk in grocery stores and in restaurants. Our diets today are so calorie dense, and our portions are so out of control that calorie counting is simply a method of teaching ourselves correct portions. And anyone who counts calories will figure out really quickly that you can eat a lot more if you fill up on natural foods than if you eat candy and french fries all day.

PS... I have been a typical american fast-food omnivore, I am now vegetarian, and have been vegan in phases, and through all of my diets I have had to count calories. Preparation of fresh fruits and vegetables can work against you too. I have used calorie counting to teach myself how much I should be eating whether my diet consisted mainly of burgers and fries, broccoli and cheese, or quinoa and nutritional yeast. It is just a tool. Use it if it works for you.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Now that I know it wasn't my fault I can go after the *kitten* that made me eat all that food.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    nx691sG.jpg
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Counting calories is what saved me. Before I started with MFP I "assumed" that what I was eating was healthy. After I got started on here my so called healthy menu wasn't healthy at all.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    There is so much inaccurate in the OP that it isn't even worth commenting on.

Yikes.

Oh well, each to their own...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    If you are not into calorie counting, then why bother doing MFP? No makes you log on here you know...

For support and advice from people on a similar weight loss or gain journey.

To get other people's ideas on what their eating or how their training?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    If you are not into calorie counting, then why bother doing MFP? No makes you log on here you know...

For support and advice from people on a similar weight loss or gain journey.

To get other people's ideas on what their eating or how their training?

cat gifs.
  • I don't think hunting has been anybody's primary form of exercise for like 300 years or something 0.0
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    I had no idea who this lady was, so I went to her website. The "About Me" page starts like this:

"Firstly thank you very much for visiting my website! It’s Charlotte Ord here, Personal Trainer of the Year 2010, trainer on ITV1’s hit show, The Biggest Loser, head strength and conditioning coach to the England Lacrosse Squad, owner of Surrey based fitness club, The Charlotte Ord Academy, and contributor to many of the UK’s leading fitness magazines including Men’s Health, Women’s Health and Women’s Fitness."

WOW. I can't even imagine the size of an ego this large. Good thing for her that egos don't have calories.
  • Just because you "don't live on a farm", doesn't mean you "have to rely on junk food and restaurants"

There is no correlation there.
  • Lets all take turns giving her high fives........TO THE FACE!!!

Cuz that woman

is

a

MORON!!!