Why calorie counting is ridiculous

Options

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options

<snip>

I tend to agree with this. If you go back and look at older cookbooks, lard, white flour and sugar were very common ingredients. Do any of the younger generations even know what suet is let alone cook with it regularly? Tab was one of the few "diet" sodas available and it was in a pink can if I remember right. Tofu was almost unheard of outside of hippie circles. Fish was eaten only if you caught a bass in the lake. Fried food was almost a requirement. Seasonal fruits and vegetables are also available fresh year round these days, and they were not then. That said, I think we need to add a simple lack of portion control to the increase in sedentary lifestyles.

I agree also. My grandmother cooked with lard and we ate fried fish all summer at her house. She also made sweet tea that was ridiculously sugariffic. She was never bigger than a dressmaker's size 8 and my grandfather was tiny his whole life too. They both were constantly moving and doing something though.

I forgot fried catfish and sweet tea! Two things I haven't eaten regularly in 30 years. That's about the time my family switched over to a "healthier" (read "bland") diet. Come to think of it, I had a 28-29 inch waist until I went to grad school in my late 20s, so for me my weight gain was almost entirely caused by sitting on my *kitten*.

My granddad used to fry onions and chopped up potatoes in a whole stick of butter too. That was our "side dish" to the fried catfish, which was also fried in corn meal and butter. Such good stuff! Annnnd now I'm hungry!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You know, why is it always the men that say they don't need to count calories? Or else the women with men's bodies? Don't you know that for most of us women, what you say goes in one ear and out the other. It doesn't apply to us! Why do you stand on your soap box and shout that what works for you applies to all of us? What are you even doing on here if you have no weight to lose. Get back on your web site where you belong.

I think you'll find that a lot of the fit people here haven't always been that way.

I use this website for maintenance, to track macros, and to hang out with other fitness-minded people. I've got just as much right to be here as you do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

<snip>

I tend to agree with this. If you go back and look at older cookbooks, lard, white flour and sugar were very common ingredients. Do any of the younger generations even know what suet is let alone cook with it regularly? Tab was one of the few "diet" sodas available and it was in a pink can if I remember right. Tofu was almost unheard of outside of hippie circles. Fish was eaten only if you caught a bass in the lake. Fried food was almost a requirement. Seasonal fruits and vegetables are also available fresh year round these days, and they were not then. That said, I think we need to add a simple lack of portion control to the increase in sedentary lifestyles.

I agree also. My grandmother cooked with lard and we ate fried fish all summer at her house. She also made sweet tea that was ridiculously sugariffic. She was never bigger than a dressmaker's size 8 and my grandfather was tiny his whole life too. They both were constantly moving and doing something though.

I forgot fried catfish and sweet tea! Two things I haven't eaten regularly in 30 years. That's about the time my family switched over to a "healthier" (read "bland") diet. Come to think of it, I had a 28-29 inch waist until I went to grad school in my late 20s, so for me my weight gain was almost entirely caused by sitting on my *kitten*.

I still have fried catfish occasionally, but I have found blackened a lower calorie alternative that I also love. I actually spent one entire summer perfecting my blackened catfish recipe. I'm hoping Bobby Flay stops by for a throwdown.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Now I want catfish. And hushpuppies. :grumble:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Now I want catfish. And hushpuppies. :grumble:

I just had two hamburgers for lunch and now I want catfish and sweet tea. Time to cruise the net for a suitable establishment . . .
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lo5ew0yNWy1qia0fb.gif
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    You know, why is it always the men that say they don't need to count calories? Or else the women with men's bodies? Don't you know that for most of us women, what you say goes in one ear and out the other. It doesn't apply to us! Why do you stand on your soap box and shout that what works for you applies to all of us? What are you even doing on here if you have no weight to lose. Get back on your web site where you belong.

WTF.jpg
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ???? Not scientifically proven???? Where does she think the whole concept of calories came from? What an idiot. Sorry to be so demeaning, but it's true...her whole argument is based on anecdotes/opinion.

Wikipedia:
    The large calorie, kilogram calorie, dietary calorie, nutritionist's calorie, nutritional calorie or food calorie (symbol: Cal, equiv: kcal) is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. The large calorie is thus equal to 1000 small calories or one kilocalorie .

The concept of calories comes from physics, not biochemistry or medicine.

That poster didn't mention a specific science? Last I checked, physics was still a field of science.
  • bcattoes
    Options

<snip>

My granddad used to fry onions and chopped up potatoes in a whole stick of butter too. That was our "side dish" to the fried catfish, which was also fried in corn meal and butter. Such good stuff! Annnnd now I'm hungry!

Margarine was much more common where I grew up. Butter was unhealthy and expensive. Margarine was full of healthy fats and was cheap.
  • firstsip
    Options

Everything about this hurts.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

WTF.jpg

What is it with you and cat gifs (are you the mad cat lady from the Simpsons lol).?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    ???? Not scientifically proven???? Where does she think the whole concept of calories came from? What an idiot. Sorry to be so demeaning, but it's true...her whole argument is based on anecdotes/opinion.

Wikipedia:
    The large calorie, kilogram calorie, dietary calorie, nutritionist's calorie, nutritional calorie or food calorie (symbol: Cal, equiv: kcal) is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. The large calorie is thus equal to 1000 small calories or one kilocalorie .

That poster didn't mention a specific science? Last I checked, physics was still a field of science.

Physics isn't nutrition.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

That's some quality derp right there.

HartnellRobot.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

<snip>

Margarine was much more common where I grew up. Butter was unhealthy and expensive. Margarine was full of healthy fats and was cheap.

Two words to explain why the diet was better pre-1970 BEEF DRIPPING 'Beef - flippin - dripping.

Now that was a taste sensation.????????
  • firstsip
    Options

Wikipedia:

Physics isn't nutrition.

What... are you trying to do here.
  • bcattoes
    Options

<snip>

Two words to explain why the diet was better pre-1970 BEEF DRIPPING 'Beef - flippin - dripping.

Now that was a taste sensation.????????

Oh, in my area is was pig drippings. Bacon to be exact. Every mother I knew kept a coffee can full of bacon drippings in the fridge. No bean was every cooked (and we ate some type of bean daily) without bacon and/or bacon grease. One of my favorite things as a child was eating the sweet gooey bacon strips off the top of a pan of baked beans.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It seems to me she is forgetting that people are WAY less active today than they were "pre-1970s". Technology is wonderful but it has made us lazier. Sure the people hunting the wild boar are not going to worry about the calories, but that is because they probably don't spend 9 hours a day glued to a computer. That's my take...

Nailed it! :happy:

I think both points are valid. We put *kitten* into our bodies now and expect them to perform. We don't maintain them even as well as we maintain our cars, but we expect them to "run." But, also, as you said, people were generally more active back them as well....
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Oh, in my area is was pig drippings. Bacon to be exact. Every mother I knew kept a coffee can full of bacon drippings in the fridge. No bean was every cooked (and we ate some type of bean daily) without bacon and/or bacon grease. One of my favorite things as a child was eating the sweet gooey bacon strips off the top of a pan of baked beans.

My grandmother did that with green beans and pinto beans too. SOOO GOOD!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

My grandmother did that with green beans and pinto beans too. SOOO GOOD!

In the UK it was beef, but pig dripping sounds just as good. Mmmmm
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Everything about this hurts.
    Yeah pretty much
    Things I have questions about
    what men always say they don't need to count calories?
    What is a woman with a man's body exactly
    Why you would admit to actually not ever listening to anything anyone says?- purposelyflly (isn't the the definition of ignorance- willfully choosing to not be educated)
    What soap box?

And what's good for the goose is good for the gander. always has been- when did this change?

what are we doing on here with no weight to lose?
    Maintaining- gaining- cutting- hanging out meeting new people with similar goals/mindsets?

it's not ALL about weight loss.

You my dear- are... well- on a special special soap box that isn't relevant to ANYONE. Go on though- keep on keeping on. I support your right to be... um. special. and unique.

OP- article is rubbish- clearly she knows nothing. Sad. actually- but whatever.