Drinking and fitness

Options
1235»

Replies

• Stuartw31
    Stuartw31 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi, Knowwhere your coming from with the alcohol, Thing for me is that when I drink I snack more and my only exercise was walking to the fridge, cut right down recently and finding it so much easier not to snack now, good luck on your journey and feel free to add me to your friend list.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I came home after drinking a few beers with friends and then ate a whole box of girl scout cookies. I really need to stop drinking.

Or to stop buying Girl Scout cookies. :wink:
    True, but sober I can at least restrain myself to about half a box.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I came home after drinking a few beers with friends and then ate a whole box of girl scout cookies. I really need to stop drinking.

No you need a better hiding place for the cookies:smile:

I keep hearing about this boat everyone's on - is it a party boat, if so room for one more.

My particular vice is red wine, at least a glass a night (and I've got a big glass).

I know it's empty calories, but it is darn hard to cut back.

One thing I do make sure of though is that I only drink it with food or on a full stomach (the longer it's digested in the stomach the less work my liver needs to do - it's my way of being kind to my liver).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I keep hearing about this boat everyone's on - is it a party boat, if so room for one more.

My particular vice is red wine, at least a glass a night (and I've got a big glass).

One thing I do make sure of though is that I only drink it with food or on a full stomach (the longer it's digested in the stomach the less work my liver needs to do - it's my way of being kind to my liver).

Is red wine really empty calories? Certainly it's not the best source of calories, but it does contain things that are good for us (other than the taste and buzz).
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

Is red wine really empty calories? Certainly it's not the best source of calories, but it does contain things that are good for us (other than the taste and buzz).
    Yeah I've heard many times that a glass of red wine a night can have some health benefits.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Or, give the cookies away. Or, don't buy them in the first place.
    I don't think having food in the stomach really helps the liver. It still has to metabolize the same amount of alcohol.
    Drinking more than 2 drinks for women or 3 drinks for men is considered a problem and is hard on the body,too. Binge drinking can be worse than daily mod/heavy drinking. If you're drinking to get drunk, that's a problem. Everyone who feels they may be drinking too much, take the "CAGE" quiz. And go to some AA meetings, just to see if you can relate. It doesn't hurt to go to one or two meetings just to see what they're like. They won't force you to introduce yourself or anything.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    When I first started tracking on MFP, I was just trying to see where I was with eating. To my surprise, my food calories (and this was normal eating) never passed what maintenance would be for my ideal weight. But my booze calories consistently put me way over. I got chubby from alcohol! This infuriated me.

I've cut back a LOT, but not cut it out. I feel it's cruel to expect a girl to have dinner without wine :)

um no - you got chubby from taking in more calories than your body used. Whether it was solid food or liquid food is irrelevant.........

Irrelevant?? Ridiculous! She identified a problem area in her diet and corrected it. That's hardly irrelevant.
    I agree with you. Also, because of the way alcohol effects the hormones, especially estrogen and testosterone, heavy drinking can have a greater effect on the body's overall metabolism.
  • ProudAirforceWife
    ProudAirforceWife Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Before I started this journey, I could easily drink 3-4 glasses of wine a night...I truly love my wine and cosmos! But now I am accountable for everything I eat and drink. During the weekdays I either don't drink or have a nice glass of wine with dinner and I count it. My weekends, I will have a bit more, but, again, I count it.

Sometimes, I put water in a wine glass and it helps me. There is something about holding a wine glass ;) Like others here on this post, I now drink lots of water to keep me full. I have also started to drink vodka/club soda with lemon and lime but in a tall glass so it last longer. Summer is around the corner and so are those darn patios, and water and these drinks will help me.

I enjoy my drink, but in moderation. Everyone has to do what is best for them and their body.

Cheers!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Sure it contains antioxidants and other good stuff, also it aids in food digestion, due to its ph levels. I just didn't want to post that it was overly good for you - well not in the levels I drink it.:smile:
  • hugbug1970
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. I too like to have a couple of glasses of wine after work. but I am going to have to work it into my 1200 a day calories if I do that. So on the days that we go out to dinner then I will count it in. More exercise on those days.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    When I first started tracking on MFP, I was just trying to see where I was with eating. To my surprise, my food calories (and this was normal eating) never passed what maintenance would be for my ideal weight. But my booze calories consistently put me way over. I got chubby from alcohol! This infuriated me.

I've cut back a LOT, but not cut it out. I feel it's cruel to expect a girl to have dinner without wine :)

um no - you got chubby from taking in more calories than your body used. Whether it was solid food or liquid food is irrelevant.........

Irrelevant?? Ridiculous! She identified a problem area in her diet and corrected it. That's hardly irrelevant.

No, no and no. Your argument is sophistry. If you substitute another food for alcohol at the end of the day in her statement, and in your rebuttal, - say chocolate cake - would you still say the "chocolate cake" made me chubby? No you would say I ate too many calories. Put this another way - if you have a couple of beers with lunch, include that in your tally for the day, but have a large dinner and desert and find you are over for the day - would you blame the beers at lunch? No you would not - so why are the drinks at the end of the day the villain? Alcohol is a food and as such should be treated as a food and tracked and allowed for in the same manner as any other food you put in your mouth.

Obnoxious or not - that is my only point.

Beer - it's not just for breakfast anymore..........
  • sjaplo
    Options
    Before I started this journey, I could easily drink 3-4 glasses of wine a night...I truly love my wine and cosmos! But now I am accountable for everything I eat and drink. During the weekdays I either don't drink or have a nice glass of wine with dinner and I count it. My weekends, I will have a bit more, but, again, I count it.

Sometimes, I put water in a wine glass and it helps me. There is something about holding a wine glass ;) Like others here on this post, I now drink lots of water to keep me full. I have also started to drink vodka/club soda with lemon and lime but in a tall glass so it last longer. Summer is around the corner and so are those darn patios, and water and these drinks will help me.

I enjoy my drink, but in moderation. Everyone has to do what is best for them and their body.

Cheers!

Bingo! This in spades!
  • sjaplo
    Options
    LOL! ^^^

Says the dude who quoted me with an obnoxious, "Um, no."

Not meant to be obnoxious and I apologize if it came across that way. Consider it a visual clearing of the throat.