How often should I step on the scale??

Options
13»

Replies

• GracieGag
    GracieGag Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Really it is what ever works for you. I weigh my self every morning and that works for me. Yes there are days I have been so good but still go up a little, but I know it comes down eventually. I find I eat better if I watch the pounds every day. I once went two weeks without weighing in and I hated that. Try it a few ways and see how it makes you feel.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I will get on and off the scale 3 times each weigh in to be sure the results are accurate and the scale is not fluctuating between numbers

There's no need. That is a precision piece of equipment, and can accurately take a simple weight reading with a variance of +/- 0.0002 pounds. That's on the days when your weight goes down.

On the days your weight goes up, get back on that scale. Do it as many times as it takes. Sooner or later the scale will surrender and give you the reading you want.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I only weigh about every two weeks--on the first of the month and the 15th of the month. That way I avoid weighing in on my period AND I don't get all hung up on tiny day to day fluctuations. In my opinion daily weighing just isn't worth it.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    You can have quite a bit of day-to-day fluctuation weightwise due to water retention from sodium intake, clothes you have on, time of day you weigh (I.e. Did you weigh right after a meal that's stil digesting? Right after you "eliminated" said meal? etc. etc.). and your monthly as a female (bloating).

My advice:
    It depends on how much you "freak out" about fluctuation. If seeing the number go up a couple pounds will make you feel like "It's not working, I might as well give up!" then weigh once a week, same Bat-day, same Bat-time, same amount of clothing, etc. If you're OK with watching the number move and can accept that you want to get a better grip on what makes your weight go up and down in between, weigh yourself more often.

I personally weigh whenever I feel like "checking up" but I only take the once a week number (Saturday, first thing in the morning...) as
    "gospel".
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Its kinda my routine.
    Weigh in day for MFP is once a week on a Monday morning.

The fluctuations dont bother me. And there are fluctuations. This week I have put on 2kgs thanks to water :D Love being a girl.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm a little OCD about watching everything. I admit I have a spreadsheet with my calories and daily weight, along with average calories since I started, "expected weight loss" as well as average and total weight loss per week everyday (Tues-Tues, Weds-Weds, etc). I started on a Tuesday, so no surprise that amount is the most. I average those all out to find my "true" weight loss. If I didn't, my weight loss would be highly dependent on what day I chose to weigh myself. Tues-Tues for example, I'd be down approximately 8 lbs in four weeks. But, Sat-Sat, I'd only be down like a pound in total.

My weight goes up and down quite a bit, and I don't really find it discouraging. As long as the trend is down, that's all that matters to me, and so far so good. We'll see if that changes how I feel. :)
  • psychicmedium26
    Options
    I aim to once a week but some days I feel skinnier so I hop on just to find out I'm .5 lbs heavier than the day before which should teach me a lesson but it doesn't.

^^^ THIS^^^ So frustrating...... and I just keep doing it. LOL

me three! :)
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think for me, weighing myself every day is too discouraging. Even though I know my weight will fluctuate, seeing numbers increase still bothers me! LOL

I always weigh myself as soon as I get up and use the washroom and always naked. I took a nutrition course once and we were told your weight is most accurate first thing in the morning.

I think I like the idea of Friday since I stay on track for the most part during the week and I'm thinking it will help keep me on track for the weekend.

Thanks so much for sharing!! :flowerforyou: