What Not to Say to Runners

Options

Replies

• HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hate it when people say... "you run so you can eat that..." or "you run and you eat that??"

No you don't...we all know you just run so you can eat Smashburger!!!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It's not so much a thing that is said, but the most annoying thing for me is during races the charity people that stand on corners and have two branded hollow metal tubes that they bang together. I know they're trying to be encouraging and motivational, but really I just want to take that tube and use it as a bludgeoning device.

In face, just the level of patronising going on from spectators. Perhaps I'm just an overly negative person, but someone going "yeah, you can do it!" at me really doesn't help.

Along the same lines "Lookin' good" when clearly I'm barely hanging on is so annoying... No I'm not. I look like **** b/c I'm dragging *kitten* here! Say something like "keep pushing" or "way to push on" instead of "looking good".

Whoa... guys... you are complaining about strangers who took time out of their day to give you words of encouragement? To me this is one of the best things about races. I appreciate that support more than I can articulate in words.

Like I said, I appreciate the sentiment, but I actually find it hinders my performance. I like the crowd at the end, that gives me a nice burst, it's the ones on every corner banging things together. I find it incredibly distracting.
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    When I first started running after recovering from back injury..."11 min miles? that's walking pace, isn't it?".
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    It's not so much a thing that is said, but the most annoying thing for me is during races the charity people that stand on corners and have two branded hollow metal tubes that they bang together. I know they're trying to be encouraging and motivational, but really I just want to take that tube and use it as a bludgeoning device.

In face, just the level of patronising going on from spectators. Perhaps I'm just an overly negative person, but someone going "yeah, you can do it!" at me really doesn't help.

Along the same lines "Lookin' good" when clearly I'm barely hanging on is so annoying... No I'm not. I look like **** b/c I'm dragging *kitten* here! Say something like "keep pushing" or "way to push on" instead of "looking good".

People who see you running and start pumping their arms as well, like they are encouraging you...I want to say 'yeah, if you did that with your legs as well you'd be running too!!!' Instead, I just smile back and keep it moving.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    'Don't you have a car'
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    •"Why would you pay that much just to run a race?"

•"You're almost there!" (when the finish line is nowhere in sight)

Having spent over £300 since January on runs, I actually ask myself the 1st one on a regular basisi (couple that with the amount I then spend on road running & trail shoes, plus clothing and there's a reason I have 2 jobs)!!!!

My trainer does this because he knows it bugs me (I'm not very fast and invariably a couple of people from our group come back and get me), it's right up there with the training and pushing in the last 10secs of 'this is where it counts'!!!

Would have to say as a kid in school I was never brilliant at running which meant I was picked last for teams and didn't enjoy PE very much, now that I do it for myself I'm really enjoying it (and the dog's definitley getting fitter), I like doing the same runs each year so I can see my improvement but at the same time if there's longer distance I like to push at that as well.
    I no longer care about how long it takes me, a 6min mile is the same distance as a 13min mile and I'm lapping everyone on the couch.
    1st marathon in just over 11 weeks and there are doubts starting to set in but at least I've tried, I like the saying
    Try,
    Fail,
    Try again,
    Fail better!!
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Another personal favourite:

"you know you're going to screw your knees up and you'll be crippled when you're older don't you"

Because doing NOTHING AT ALL is setting YOU up for later life SO much better.....
  • lightmouse
    Options
    'Don't you have a car'

Oh and this. I do love this. Especially when cycling into work!
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm not even a proper runner just do a couple of miles on off days from my weight training, and my dad still gives me the old "You'll wreck your knees" line while sitting there at more than his ideal weight.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    •"Why would you pay that much just to run a race?"

•"You're almost there!" (when the finish line is nowhere in sight)

Having spent over £300 since January on runs, I actually ask myself the 1st one on a regular basisi (couple that with the amount I then spend on road running & trail shoes, plus clothing and there's a reason I have 2 jobs)!!!!

My trainer does this because he knows it bugs me (I'm not very fast and invariably a couple of people from our group come back and get me), it's right up there with the training and pushing in the last 10secs of 'this is where it counts'!!!

Would have to say as a kid in school I was never brilliant at running which meant I was picked last for teams and didn't enjoy PE very much, now that I do it for myself I'm really enjoying it (and the dog's definitley getting fitter), I like doing the same runs each year so I can see my improvement but at the same time if there's longer distance I like to push at that as well.
    I no longer care about how long it takes me, a 6min mile is the same distance as a 13min mile and I'm lapping everyone on the couch.
    1st marathon in just over 11 weeks and there are doubts starting to set in but at least I've tried, I like the saying
    Try,
    Fail,
    Try again,
    Fail better!!

What I say is "pish, tosh. Who wants to run a 15 minute 5k? I spent more time parking the car. I want VALUE out of my races."
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not even a proper runner just do a couple of miles on off days from my weight training, and my dad still gives me the old "You'll wreck your knees" line while sitting there at more than his ideal weight.

Sounds like you're a runner.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

"you know you're going to screw your knees up and you'll be crippled when you're older don't you"

Because doing NOTHING AT ALL is setting YOU up for later life SO much better.....

At least they won't feel daft. Every time I get an injury through training or sports, I keep thinking I would have been better off if I just sat on the sofa!
  • lightmouse
    Options

At least they won't feel daft. Every time I get an injury through training or sports, I keep thinking I would have been better off if I just sat on the sofa!

Hahaha I have been guilty of that too...sat in the physio thinking "I thought exercise was supposed to be good for you" :laugh:
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I was around 315 lbs. I would get a lot of comments like, "Aren't you too big to run?" "Isn't that unhealthy?" "Do you really think you can keep up with the people who are actually running?"

"Actually" running. Really. :angry:

I would calmly point out that it wasn't my first 5k of the summer. Or my first 10k. And I kept up just fine thankyouverymuch, what place did you come in again? Oh, you didn't run at all? That's too bad.
  • amandalj
    amandalj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers always tells me that running is so bad for me, and I'm going to ruin my joints and won't be able to walk ever again....as she puffs away on her cigarettes.

Yes, because I should really be taking any type of health/medical advice from a pack a day smoker. :noway:
  • caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've just started running and have now run 3 miles four times. I've never run that far in my life - even when I was young and not overweight I couldn't run a mile. My daughter (who is 15 and runs about a 7 minute mile) asked me how long it took me when I got back from a run the other day. I told her to strap 120 pounds to her back and see how long it takes her to run three miles. ;)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I was around 315 lbs. I would get a lot of comments like, "Aren't you too big to run?" "Isn't that unhealthy?" "Do you really think you can keep up with the people who are actually running?"

"Actually" running. Really. :angry:

I would calmly point out that it wasn't my first 5k of the summer. Or my first 10k. And I kept up just fine thankyouverymuch, what place did you come in again? Oh, you didn't run at all? That's too bad.

You are awesome!!!
  • Polarsnow
    Polarsnow Posts: 28
    Options
    I absolutely hate when you're running on the treadmill and some *kitten* hops onto the one next to yours and feels the need to race you--
    like, hey, I'll let you win as long as I finish what I need to do and feel awesome about it.

Also when they do race you and end up running for a minute and slow down to like 1 mph.

They lean over and stare at your stats

They constantly feel the need to stare at you while you're minding your own business.

I get so angry, ughhh.