How I lost 6 and a half pounds in a night...

Options
Probably one of the greatest excuse's people forward for dropping a diet or exercise routine is that they are not losing weight.

Most of the time, "not losing weight" is a relative term.

Those who have been dieting successfully for months or years understand that consistently losing 1lb a week is a serious achievement.

Unfortunately the greater proportion of 'dieters' out there, lose a huge amount of weight in the first week of a diet (several lbs) and expect these losses to be maintained. This of course never happens, and motivation is inevitably lost.

Most people refer to these large early losses as 'water weight'. In simple terms, when you have eaten a lot of nutrients, your muscle and liver is packed full of sugar, which is stored with water. If you stop eating or exercise, some of this sugar is burned up and the water is used elsewhere or urinated.

I wanted to demonstrate how extreme these losses can be.

In picture 1 (Last night: February 25) I have maintained a normal dietary intake, not eaten any food within 2-3 hours prior to the picture, I have urinated, and I am wearing joggers and socks (regret that decision now!)

In picture 2 (Tonight: February 26) I have eaten very little sugar (carbohydrate) throughout the day, and immediately before this picture I ran 3.5 miles and the picture is taken in the nude.

Picture 1: February 25

2jcfus1.jpg

Picture 2: February 26

119urdl.jpg

The difference in body weights is a staggering 6.5lbs.

Admittedly, the clothes take account for around 1lb of the difference, but the remaining 5.5lbs result entirely from differences in body sugar levels and hydration (as well as sodium intake and a few other factors).

IF I were to interpret this 5.5lb as a successful fat loss, which many poorly informed dieters unfortunately would, I am concluding that I have:

- Burned 19250kcal in a night. Which is equivalent to any of the following:

- The energy expended in 10 days of body weight maintenance for most females, or 7-8 day for most average males

- The energy expended running 6 to 8 marathons

- The energy expended in 70 hours of walking at a moderate intensity (3mph)

- The energy contained in 2-3 litres of vegetable oil

- The energy contained in 75 kitkat chunky bars

- The energy contained in 370oz sirloin steak

I am sure you can see where I am going with this. The amount of weight loss many people expect to achieve is entirely impossible. Only when you look at what a single pound of fat actually equates to, does this become clear.

There is a whole lot of energy in a pound of fat (3500kcal). The only way to lose body fat is a consistent negative energy balance, which is maintainable and realistic, so that it can be conducted over a long period of time.

I hope that this post has highlighted the reality of early losses, and I strongly suggest people who want to diet, reference their weight losses against a value determined several days into a diet, and understand that a regular weight loss of even half a pound a week is an achievement!

What are your thoughts on this issue, do you include 'water weight' loss, do you know people who do?

Just as a nice final note, here is a nice picture of one pound of fat which really shows what I'm trying to get across:

4slg5i.jpg

All the best with your goals!

Just for a little background on me, I'm a doctoral researcher in exercise metabolism and adaptation, but still fight obesity in my personal life everyday. I try to pass on all the information I learn through these forums and other sources. Feel free to add me or ask any questions anytime you wish :)

Cheers, Mike

Replies

• craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Nice post!
  • becksxxx70
    becksxxx70 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Scrolled down fast for the nude pic! :wink:

Yep, 1lb fat looks truly vile!
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the greater proportion of 'dieters' out there, lose a huge amount of weight in the first week of a diet (several lbs) and expect these losses to be maintained. This of course never happens, and motivation is inevitably lost.

Just the post I needed to read.
    My first two weeks I lost 3.3 and 4.1 pounds. It was great but then I lost only .7 in the 3rd week. It was a little diassapointing at first but then I remembered I am in a marathon, not a sprint.

All the best for you and your studies. :drinker:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Awesome post...however...

...you've got me craving KitKat Chunky bars!!:tongue:
  • nking404
    nking404 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    AWESOME POST!!!!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I really thought this was going to be a post about the norovirus.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thx for the enlightenment!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    This post directly answers a long whiny screed I wrote (and deleted before posting) about 20 minutes ago about poor me, I've been at the same weight for 8 days, blah blah blah. Fortunately I came to my senses and did not post it. But apparently you read it and answered anyway. How did you do that?!
  • xoaries
    xoaries Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know so many people who need to wrap their minds around this exact concept! Thank you!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    spot on. good post!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    This may indirectly answer a question I have looming. At some point I'll transition from deficit to surplus and try to build some muscle. I never really understood what the whole "water weight" thing meant and wondered if that transition would result in a big, quick move up on the scale. Kinda sounds like it will. Not that it matters, but good to be prepared for it. I knew the first week I started MFP that I didn't really lose 4 or 5 lbs. of fat. Same thing the other direction, I assume. Don't want to think you put on 5 lbs. of muscle after one work out. lol
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Thanks for the positive comments so far guys its much appreciated, some really good points in here too!

This may indirectly answer a question I have looming. At some point I'll transition from deficit to surplus and try to build some muscle. I never really understood what the whole "water weight" thing meant and wondered if that transition would result in a big, quick move up on the scale. Kinda sounds like it will. Not that it matters, but good to be prepared for it. I knew the first week I started MFP that I didn't really lose 4 or 5 lbs. of fat. Same thing the other direction, I assume. Don't want to think you put on 5 lbs. of muscle after one work out. lol

Yes that's a really important flip side of this post. If you suddenly up your energy intake from a cutting cycle, because your lifting weight, and your bodyweight jumps up 6 pounds, which it could do, your right it doesn't mean 6lb gains in muscle - which some people might think. However, I still think the 'water weight' concept is much more of an issue for your classic weight-loss dieter.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • tartanlass58
    tartanlass58 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try not to think or say the word diet as it is an automatic sabotage for me butt when I am trying to loose weight and watch what I eat it seems all I think about is food more than I do when I am not dieting any suggestions or am I just nuts
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post, my accountant brain loves all the numbers! :love: Thanks for the reminder, I'm working on my patience, no giving up this time!!
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm impressed. I should really celebrate every little success.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Exactly.
    The more we know, the more we grow.
    Information is so important to shut that NEGATIVE loser in our heads UP!