1000-1200 calories per day and lost no weight ??????

Options

Replies

• markhowes1614
    Options
    Apparently with my height and weight i burn naturally 2300 calories per day.

If i set my goals on here using recommended settings from MFP it tells me to consume 2200 per day and with my exercise of a few hours cardio every week I will loose 1lb per week

I want to loose more than this though 1 lb a week is not a lot

I thought eating less calories a day(1200) than i burn which apparently is 2300 would automatically drop the lbs off but it has not

My body is used to way more before 3 weeks ag I was easily consuming 3000-4000 per day so I dont understand

Any advise ?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think.

this is my thought..

OP - do you have a food scale? Do you weigh, measure, log everything that you eat?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Too few calories can cause your body to go into starvation mode. Your body says OH CRAP! and hangs on to whatever it can, since it thinks you are starving.

that's not what starvation mode is..

the OP is eating more than they think they are.

sorry but it doesnt make sense that the only people who dont lose weight when they are consuming less calories than their bodies need just so happen to be people who want to lose weight :laugh:
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    And listen to this guy has he has lost 153 pounds.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

So look, just by your post, it sounds like you think you have to eat "diet food" and obviously very little of it. You're doing it wrong. Read this wall of text up there and help yourself make this manageable.

And make sure to OUTRIGHT IGNORE people that tell you stuff like cutting something 100% out of your diet... like below.
    make sure you are eating protein with each meal, lots of veggies, healthy fats like coconut and olive oil. Low fat diet do not help anybody lose weight or get healthier. Low carb diets do.Get rid of sugar if you haven't yet. Don't give up.

Low carb diets aren't magic. That's so 2002.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

If i set my goals on here using recommended settings from MFP it tells me to consume 2200 per day and with my exercise of a few hours cardio every week I will loose 1lb per week

I thought eating less calories a day(1200) than i burn which apparently is 2300 would automatically drop the lbs off but it has not

My body is used to way more before 3 weeks ag I was easily consuming 3000-4000 per day so I dont understand

Any advise ?
    open your food diary…
    do you have a food scale? Do you weigh, measure, log everything that you eat?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Any advise ?

For a man you need to be eating way more than that, unless of course you want to lose all your muscles. See sexy pant links. Slow and steady is the healthy way to go and to keep it off.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    make sure you are eating protein with each meal, lots of veggies, healthy fats like coconut and olive oil. Low fat diet do not help anybody lose weight or get healthier. Low carb diets do.Get rid of sugar if you haven't yet. Don't give up.

ALSO no!
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Any advise ?

Advice has been given to you numerous times...you're ignoring it.

I'm out.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

So look, just by your post, it sounds like you think you have to eat "diet food" and obviously very little of it. You're doing it wrong. Read this wall of text up there and help yourself make this manageable.

And make sure to OUTRIGHT IGNORE people that tell you stuff like cutting something 100% out of your diet... like below.

THIS!! Obviously you are eating more than you say bc you have not lost any weight. Weigh and measure all your food and for goodness sakes dont cut out the foods you enjoy thats why people always fail!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Any advise ?

The bolded part = false. One pound a week is great.

Did you put on more than a pound a week? Of course you didn't. So why should you expect to take it off that fast?
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Damn I wish I would of known that before I lost 119pds oh well! Thanks for the info!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    OP: You can't count. Work on that. One pound a week is plenty. Impatiance is not an attactive quality.

Other People: Starvation mode doesn't work that way. Stahp.

No. Nonono.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    He's been doing this for 2 weeks. Any sort of adaptive thermogenesis is going to take a lot longer than that to set in and he should be seeing some newb drops if nothing else.

I'd suspect that the following are a lot more likely, and probably some combination thereof:
    1) Eating more than you think -- very easy to do. Any sort of non-weighed food? Any sort of dressings, stuff to fry fish in, etc.? Any beverages consumed that add into calories?
    2) Water weight retention from a new exercise program.
    3) Possible different times of day/different clothes worn during weigh-in which can shift scale readings.
    4) Possible scale wonkiness -- my old scale wouldn't shift until you'd lost 10 lbs, at which point it would shift down all at once. Also two different scales may have slightly different readings. It's a good idea to use the same scale, at the same time of day, wearing the same clothes, if possible. Early in the morning is best for many people.
  • bny906
    bny906 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

This. All of this.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Every time someone brings up starvation mode on this site an angel dies. DIES.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    don't...blink...
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options

Any advise ?

For a man you need to be eating way more than that, unless of course you want to lose all your muscles. See sexy pant links. Slow and steady is the healthy way to go and to keep it off.

+1 to this. My BF would constantly ***** about not losing weight. He's 6ft, was 380lbs, and worked a very physical factory job and then would eat lean cuisines and do the low calorie thing. It took me 6 months of living together to talk him into the high calorie thing. We focused on 2000+ calories a day with as much protein as we could afford to fit in. He went from 380 to 330lbs in NO time. If you DO decide to higher your calories, which I sincerely suggest, stick with it. Do NOT do it for a few days or a week and then just quit if it doesn't go your way. Do it for four weeks, then adjust if needed.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Any advise ?
    bb.com
  • Achrya
    Options
    don't...blink...

Weeping_Angels_Animation_by_GlitchyProductions.gif
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    don't...blink...

Weeping_Angels_Animation_by_GlitchyProductions.gif
    them's the foodshamin' angels of death. THEY FEED ON YOUR DIRTY FOODS