1000-1200 calories per day and lost no weight ??????

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Every time someone brings up starvation mode on this site an angel dies. DIES.
    don't...blink...

Weeping_Angels_Animation_by_GlitchyProductions.gif
    them's the foodshamin' angels of death. THEY FEED ON YOUR DIRTY FOODS

I can't fear something that feeds on bacon.
  • Tabbycat54
    Tabbycat54 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    don't...blink...

I can't fear something that feeds on bacon.

Why...why would you post this?! Don't you know that an image of an angel becomes an angel?!
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    as a male you should be eating more calories than that a day to just keep healthy amounts of nutrients in you, however, you are most likely under estimating your calories....................unless you have some metamobic problem that has not been tested recently ie hypothyroidism......................I have this and can gain weight quickly without changing my diet and struggle to lose weight when it is off as well.......with that being said this more common in women than men but can happen........also increase your water intake dr told me to double my water intake from 64oz a day to 128oz
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks I have been consuming 1000-1200 calories per day eating fresh fish salad and veg grilled chicken boiled eggs and water and earl grey tea

I am doing per week about 2 hours cardio which is walking

Have weighed myself and I have not lost 1 lb ???????

Don't listen to these "eat more to lose more" people. Jumping up to 1500 or 1800 calories will destroy your metabolism. Slowly creep up by 100 calories every two weeks and see if that makes a difference.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If you not losing you are not in a deficit!!

Buy a digital food scale and weigh everything!!!

ETA: READ THIS OP!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

THIS!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    did OP ever come back?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks I have been consuming 1000-1200 calories per day eating fresh fish salad and veg grilled chicken boiled eggs and water and earl grey tea

Don't listen to these "eat more to lose more" people. Jumping up to 1500 or 1800 calories will destroy your metabolism. Slowly creep up by 100 calories every two weeks and see if that makes a difference.

what? How will bumping up your calories by a couple hundred destroy your metabolism?
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    don't...blink...

They send your fat back to the past to die a slow death...
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

So look, just by your post, it sounds like you think you have to eat "diet food" and obviously very little of it. You're doing it wrong. Read this wall of text up there and help yourself make this manageable.

And make sure to OUTRIGHT IGNORE people that tell you stuff like cutting something 100% out of your diet... like below.
    make sure you are eating protein with each meal, lots of veggies, healthy fats like coconut and olive oil. Low fat diet do not help anybody lose weight or get healthier. Low carb diets do.Get rid of sugar if you haven't yet. Don't give up.

Low carb diets aren't magic. That's so 2002.

This very good advice.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

what? How will bumping up your calories by a couple hundred destroy your metabolism?

For someone whose body is used to 1000 calories, all of a sudden eating 1800 would throw a huge wrench into the works. It happened to me because I listened to some idiots on MFP who think they know better than my doctors. Now I have to rebuild my metabolism slowly over the next 3- 6 months and hope that I can still get to a point where I can eat a normal amount of calories (like 1500) and lose weight at the same time.
  • ricki011
    ricki011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i know exactly how you feel, but you should consider how your clothes are fitting and how you feel over all.
    Maybe up your calories a bit and just eat healthy, measure all your food and journal every day. Drink water.
    You will see it happen soon.
  • rsummers2008
    rsummers2008 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, I agree with everyone else. You're probably not eating enough calories. Here are a few websites that you can use as a tool to figure out your daily caloric needs. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm, http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned, http://www.mayoclinic.org/calorie-calculator/itt-20084939.

However, the best advice I have for you is to listen to your body. Listen for whether or not you're hungry. Have you been drinking enough water? Some of that "non weight loss" is probably attributed to muscle gain. Have you been doing strengthening exercises? If not, you need to. Having more muscle will allow you to lose more fat, more quickly. Also, if you're doing 2+ hours of cardio a day and not eating enough, then you're constantly depleting your body of the energy it needs to work properly, which means that it will start breaking down your muscles to compensate.

Another thought is that you might not be eating the RIGHT diet for your body. I'm Paleo, which works really well for me. The point is that you might have an intolerance to certain types of foods. You might try a different diet. Once again, listen to your body. I personally feel AWESOME on my Paleo diet. I have tons of energy and just feel good. Others, however, feel better on a vegan or vegetarian diet, while others on different diets. Choose one that's right for you (and your tastebuds).

However, if after adjusting your diet, exercise, and caloric intake accordingly still aren't enough, you might look into thyroid issues. If that's not the case, then talk to your doctor or a registered dietician about alternate day fasting. You could also look into other forms of fasting, too. But please, do your research.

These are only tips and tricks that I've personally tried and by no means professional suggestions, advice, nor courses of action you should take. I a m not a doctor, registered dietician, a personal trainer, nor even a student for any of the afforementioned health practices. I have, however, done a ton of research on the topic, I have read many scholarly journals about it, and have personal experience with the topic. I know what works for me, and I hope you find what works for you. Consistency is key. Keep at it. ;-)
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    This is why there is so much confusion for those new to weight loss.

People are telling people to eat more to lose weight because OMG starvation mode and damaged metabolisms.
    People are telling people its impossible to NOT lose weight while on a deficit because CALORIES IN VS CALORIES out

Which one is it?

I'm leaning towards #2 because you're not counting correctly or water retention is masking weight loss. It IS (for all intents and purposes) impossible to NOT lose while at a caloric deficit.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    This is why there is so much confusion for those new to weight loss.

People are telling people to eat more to lose weight because OMG starvation mode and damaged metabolisms.
    People are telling people its impossible to NOT lose weight while on a deficit because CALORIES IN VS CALORIES out

Which one is it?

I'm leaning towards #2 because you're not counting correctly or water retention is masking weight loss. It IS (for all intents and purposes) impossible to NOT lose while at a caloric deficit.

OP never address if he was using a food scale, and weighing/measuring/logging everything..

I think that he was not correctly estimating calories…so it is calories in vs calories out .

Additionally, OP had only been tracking for two weeks..sometimes it takes three to four weeks for changes to take affect….
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eat more to lose more....lmao.
  • tiwanaloves
    Options
    ⭐️????????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Eat more to lose more....lmao.
    It is valid…if someone has eaten so little on a VLCD they have suffered metabolic damage and the only to fix that is to start slowly eating more and more calories until you get to a point where your metabolism pickups you and your start losing again ...
  • Leanmeup53
    Leanmeup53 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Could just be that time of the month , I tend to go up a good couple kgs around that time, lol I know it sounds crazy but no point weighing around that week
  • tiwanaloves
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

So look, just by your post, it sounds like you think you have to eat "diet food" and obviously very little of it. You're doing it wrong. Read this wall of text up there and help yourself make this manageable.

And make sure to OUTRIGHT IGNORE people that tell you stuff like cutting something 100% out of your diet... like below.
    make sure you are eating protein with each meal, lots of veggies, healthy fats like coconut and olive oil. Low fat diet do not help anybody lose weight or get healthier. Low carb diets do.Get rid of sugar if you haven't yet. Don't give up.

Low carb diets aren't magic. That's so 2002.

⭐️????????
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Could just be that time of the month , I tend to go up a good couple kgs around that time, lol I know it sounds crazy but no point weighing around that week
    if the OP is having a period, there are larger problems.