MFP telling me I'm not consuming enough calories

Options
So MFP has given me a set calorie goal for each day, as it does for everyone. However, what I've found is that I am totally satisfied and not wanting to keeping eating once I hit a certain point, which almost every day is below my calorie budget. The app tells me I'm not eating enough (under 1200) and it bugs me! I don't want to force feed myself, and if I'm getting just under 1200 calories I don't know that it should matter. I also work out just about everyday, so that adds more calories to eat but I just don't want to. Losing weight has always been a struggle, but over the past month my stomach capacity has shrunk so I don't need to eat as much and it's helping me lose.

Do you guys think it's alright? Should I maybe eat a bit more to hit my goal everyday? I'm no 120lb girl trying to lose 5lbs either, I started almost 100 lbs higher than that and have seen such great progress so far...I'm a bit torn.

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but unless you lay around all day, I think you should be eating more than 1200. Also, your stomach did not shrink, it just got used to you eating less food.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    if you're eating under 1200 and full maybe try eating more calorie dense foods to at least reach that net calorie goal.
  • mandakittykitty
    mandakittykitty Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk all day and besides my light workout, I am basically sedentary at home, too. And saying my stomach shrunk is mostly a turn of phrase, I know it just requires less food to feel full.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    No, its not alright to eat under 1200 calories and yes, eat more. You can eat more calories and lose weight effectively and keep it off.

Edited to say you are not sedentary. You have a job and do light workouts. Personally, I would use the lightly active setting. Give it a few weeks and the calories suggested. If you do not lose, then go down a bit. Trust the process - it works.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It would be easy to up your calories a little bit every day by adding little bits of healthy low volume calorie dense foods. Fats (olive oil, butter, or whatever your preference), almonds or some other nut, a slice of cheese, and so on.

If you work out as much as you do you should probably be eating more than 1200 calories. Over time that is hard to maintain.
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    if you're eating under 1200 and full maybe try eating more calorie dense foods to at least reach that net calorie goal.

That's a good point. I'm not eating like 500 calories a day or anything, but I come in just under 1200 almost everyday when my goal is 1370. Maybe a higher calorie breakfast and extra snack would fill the gap...that's what I'll be trying.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Eat at least 1200! Any lower and you won't be getting vital nutrient your body needs.
    The deficit is already built in.
    Eat back a portion of your exercise calories! I eat back 2/3 to all of my exercise calories and still lose.
    Not eating enough will come back to haunt you.
    Your energy and health will suffer and you will start overeating or even bingeing to compensate.
    If you are in it for the long haul, please give yourself chance to be successful and heathy at the same time.
    Good luck!
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    Eat at least 1200! Any lower and you won't be getting vital nutrient your body needs.
    The deficit is already built in.
    Eat back a portion of your exercise calories! I eat back 2/3 to all of my exercise calories and still lose.
    Not eating enough will come back to haunt you.
    Your energy and health will suffer and you will start overeating or even bingeing to compensate.
    If you are in it for the long haul, please give yourself chance to be successful and heathy at the same time.
    Good luck!

Thank you! That is good advice about eating back a portion of the calories you burn. This is why I posted what I did, I needed some advice and support. Again, thanks!!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Many people who decide they need to "eat healthy" will start cutting out a lot of foods from their diet that they consider bad or unhealthy. There is no unhealthy food, and you can incorporate the old foods in moderation. In addition, there are lots of calorie dense healthy foods. For example, you can have a basic salad that just lettuce, some veggies, and dressing that is only 100-150 calories. But, that salad tastes a lot better (in my opinion) with chicken and avocado. Sometimes I go with cheese too. So it's easier to make foods you eat more calorie dense without adding a lot of volume to your foods. Some good foods for this: eggs, chicken, avocado, dried fruit, nuts, nut butters, yogurt, cheese, etc.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I can see where you're coming from - eating when you're not hungry is not easy, especially when you want to lose weight.

If I were you I would either;
    1) have meals higher in calories so you meet your goals without necessarily eating more and more often, e.g. have 2 eggs for breakfast rather than one, etc.

2) plan out your meals in advance, taking into account your exercise so you know what you need to eat that day. Set yourself times to eat, e.g. every 2-3hours and ensure you eat. It makes a difference what you eat too, you're not going to want anything heavy or rich if you're not hungry, but perhaps a handful of nuts or some fruit with greek yoghurt?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    So MFP has given me a set calorie goal for each day, as it does for everyone. However, what I've found is that I am totally satisfied and not wanting to keeping eating once I hit a certain point, which almost every day is below my calorie budget. The app tells me I'm not eating enough (under 1200) and it bugs me! I don't want to force feed myself, and if I'm getting just under 1200 calories I don't know that it should matter. I also work out just about everyday, so that adds more calories to eat but I just don't want to. Losing weight has always been a struggle, but over the past month my stomach capacity has shrunk so I don't need to eat as much and it's helping me lose.

Do you guys think it's alright? Should I maybe eat a bit more to hit my goal everyday? I'm no 120lb girl trying to lose 5lbs either, I started almost 100 lbs higher than that and have seen such great progress so far...I'm a bit torn.

If what you are saying is that you have your daily calories set to 1200, you don't feel hungry enough to eat that many, and you work out - but don't eat any of those calories back either? Then NO - that is not alright.

It means that your net cals are way below what your body needs. It means that you are probably NOT getting the proper nutrition. It means that this is not sustainable as a change in your habits long term. I'm not going to tell you what to do - but if you're wise and want the weight to stay off, start reading about proper nutrition to lose weight. Read about how your hormones react to very low calorie diets and how this effects your hunger and satiety signals. Read and learn.

ETA: a spoonful of peanut butter is my go to for days when I need a boost to reach my calories. Good luck.
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    No, its not alright to eat under 1200 calories and yes, eat more. You can eat more calories and lose weight effectively and keep it off.

Edited to say you are not sedentary. You have a job and do light workouts. Personally, I would use the lightly active setting. Give it a few weeks and the calories suggested. If you do not lose, then go down a bit. Trust the process - it works.

You really think so? I feel sedentary...but when I started I wasn't getting any exercise at all. I will try changing that setting and see what changes. Thanks for the advice!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You have to consider your health long term. When you were heavier, your body was able to more readily accept a very low calorie diet because you had fat stores to keep everything balanced. Now you're getting closer to goal and the body has less of it's own stores and relies more on what you're injesting. You may not feel like you should eat more but you really should in order to make sure you're providing with your body with enough nutrients, as well as making sure you're losing fat and not muscle.

Also, you're kind of wasting your time in the gym as you won't be able to build any real endurance or strength if you're not injestiong enough calories and nutrients. You need to make sure you're netting at least 1200. As as mentioned above. If you feel you can't eat at a higher volume than you do now, switch your food choices to calorie/nutrient dense foods like meats, whole eggs, avocado, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, beans, etc.
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    I can see where you're coming from - eating when you're not hungry is not easy, especially when you want to lose weight.

If I were you I would either;
    1) have meals higher in calories so you meet your goals without necessarily eating more and more often, e.g. have 2 eggs for breakfast rather than one, etc.

2) plan out your meals in advance, taking into account your exercise so you know what you need to eat that day. Set yourself times to eat, e.g. every 2-3hours and ensure you eat. It makes a difference what you eat too, you're not going to want anything heavy or rich if you're not hungry, but perhaps a handful of nuts or some fruit with greek yoghurt?

I think the main thing is to consume some more calories in the meals I already have planned. I do plan my meals out each night for the next day, and I'm thinking breakfast is where I can beef things up a bit. I have a very easy schedule for eating due to my desk job, which actually helps alot. A lot of these comments are knocking on nutrition, but what I'm eating is lots of vegetables and grains and fats, so I am balanced but you have to eat a ton of vegetables to get as many calories as I need, haha. I really appreciate yours and everyone's advice, this is why I posted. Thank you!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    She said,
    The app tells me I'm not eating enough (under 1200) and it bugs me! I don't want to force feed myself, and if I'm getting just under 1200 calories I don't know that it should matter. I also work out just about everyday, so that adds more calories to eat but I just don't want to.

This states: My goal is [minimum] 1200 calories a day. I don't reach it. MFP, doing exactly what MFP is designed to do, tells me I am not eating enough. This bugs me - I don't like it, and I don't think it matters anyway; I don't want to.

AKA: I don't like how it works.
  • mandakittykitty
    Options

If what you are saying is that you have your daily calories set to 1200, you don't feel hungry enough to eat that many, and you work out - but don't eat any of those calories back either? Then NO - that is not alright.

It means that your net cals are way below what your body needs. It means that you are probably NOT getting the proper nutrition. It means that this is not sustainable as a change in your habits long term. I'm not going to tell you what to do - but if you're wise and want the weight to stay off, start reading about proper nutrition to lose weight. Read about how your hormones react to very low calorie diets and how this effects your hunger and satiety signals. Read and learn.

ETA: a spoonful of peanut butter is my go to for days when I need a boost to reach my calories. Good luck.

Peanut butter is my weakness...if I go for a spoonful I leave with 4. However, I love this idea for boosting calories...it takes care of a guilty pleasure and the calories! Thank you!
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Copied a post by @Trogalicious from another thread…

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

And read…http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree you should be eating more (at least your BMR). Also, just a little tip, when I'm under on my calories for the day, I like to eat spoonfuls of peanut butter. It's high in calories and protein. It is high in fat as well but this is good fat (as long as its consumed in moderation, and make sure you measure the peanut butter). If you are low in calories, then you may not be hitting your macros goals either which is not good. Try to to at least hit your protein goal everyday, at least if you are working out. Good luck!
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    She didn't say she didn't like how MFP works. She is simply asking for an outsider's input and advice. Putting something so harsh may make others not want to ask for help.
    If you don't like how MFP works maybe don't use it?

She said,
    The app tells me I'm not eating enough (under 1200) and it bugs me! I don't want to force feed myself, and if I'm getting just under 1200 calories I don't know that it should matter. I also work out just about everyday, so that adds more calories to eat but I just don't want to.

This states: My goal is [minimum] 1200 calories a day. I don't reach it. MFP, doing exactly what MFP is designed to do, tells me I am not eating enough. This bugs me - I don't like it, and I don't think it matters anyway; I don't want to.

AKA: I don't like how it works.

Thanks for picking apart how I hastily typed something early this morning. You can leave my thread now, because I've already explained that I DO like how this app works, I was just looking for some advice. I thought people around here were more supportive?
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk all day and besides my light workout, I am basically sedentary at home, too. And saying my stomach shrunk is mostly a turn of phrase, I know it just requires less food to feel full.

OK just saying because some people do believe their stomachs literally shrink.