MFP telling me I'm not consuming enough calories

Options

Replies

• apyt2c
    apyt2c Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @ DuckDynestyMa

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Thank you for posting -- BEST INFO in this thread!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • mandakittykitty
    mandakittykitty Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you don't like how MFP works maybe don't use it?

Wow, I was really hoping for more positive comments :/ this is my first post and so far I'm feeling a bit hurt. I came to this app/website for SUPPORT. I love the app and credit it to my success!

welcome to the internet….

seriously, how did you get obese/out of shape, if you can't consume more than 1200 calories a day? Posts like this always baffle my mind.

Add a serving of ice cream a day to your consumption that will give you an extra 200 calories…problem solved.

DERP, I got overweight due to LIFESTYLE and not considering what I ate and not exercising. That seems rather obvious (and I believe I did already explain this in a previous post). Now that I am paying attention (and apparently TOO much attention) to calorie consumption, I hit a certain point where I am full (and I am starting to think it might just be physically full, a lot of it is mentally not wanting to eat anymore). My original post said that since I lowered my calorie intake over the past month I am FULL at 1200 or just under everyday, so I wanted advice on if what I was feeling/doing was acceptable. I obviously can eat more but I just don't want to...again, maybe it's just mental at this point. I get that it really isn't alright and I should go for my net goal of ~1300. Maybe a scoop of ice cream IS the answer, my seemingly sarcastic commenter. SO THANK YOU for that feedback as well!
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    This string was so helpful to me as I struggle with the same problem! Thanks everyone!

I'm glad it helped you, it has helped me a ton, too!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Actually, nothing wrong with a scoop of ice cream if you are still in your calorie goal. :) Well, unless maybe sugar is an issue for you lol. Welcome to MFP, there are tons of *kitten* with comments like that love to make you feel like you are an idiot because you don't know everything about nutrition and fitness yet. Just try to ignore them and find the good ones.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you don't like how MFP works maybe don't use it?

Wow, I was really hoping for more positive comments :/ this is my first post and so far I'm feeling a bit hurt. I came to this app/website for SUPPORT. I love the app and credit it to my success!

welcome to the internet….

seriously, how did you get obese/out of shape, if you can't consume more than 1200 calories a day? Posts like this always baffle my mind.

Add a serving of ice cream a day to your consumption that will give you an extra 200 calories…problem solved.

Because, for example, 1 slice of pizza is WAY more calorie dense than the equivalent weight in veggies etc? Same volume of food - less calories. If you get rid of all the calorie-dense 'junk' (for a given value thereof) you got fat on and replace it with the same amount of 'healthy' (again, given value thereof) food you could be like at least halving your calories seriously it's not that mind blowing.

It's not 'wahhh I got fat on less than 1,200 calories I'm a special snowflake!' it's 'wahh I'm eating the same amount of food now and feel just as full but it contains almost nothing in comparison to what I was eating before so I'm not reaching my goal!'

OP - if you feel comfortable, re-introduce some of those more calorie-dense foods into your diet in smaller amounts. Have 1 slice of pizza with a salad instead of 3 slices. Have a piece of chocolate here and there. If you're not at that level of self-control yet then as others have said olive oil peanut butter etc are your best friends! Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil on your salad and BAM 80 calories.

Also, switch out the low-fat stuff for full-fat stuff. I'm a bit of a hypocrite on that front because I eat non-fat Greek yogurt every day but that's because I quite simply prefer the taste. Each to their own, though. Point being there are lots of little ways to up your calories that little bit (and a mug of hot chocolate at dinner never hurt anyone ;) )
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Im not trying to be rude, but I never get how people who are overweight say they can't eat 1200 cals(which most toddlers have no problem eating). If you physically can't eat that much, maybe see your doctor because a normal healthy person can eat 1500 cal easily. I can easily eat 2000-2500.

Try eating a piece of chocolate, avocado, peanut butter, nuts, etc

I need you to come talk to my toddler, trying to get her to eat is a battle. She basically exists off whole milk, breastmilk, and toddler rage.

OP: If you have trouble with peanut butter, get those single serving peanut butter packs. Toss one in a bag with a piece of bread or some apples, and there's a snack for the day for 300 calories or less. You can't go overboard on the PB with one of those, just don't let your coworkers see you licking the remnants out of the container.
  • mandakittykitty
    Options

Because, for example, 1 slice of pizza is WAY more calorie dense than the equivalent weight in veggies etc? Same volume of food - less calories. If you get rid of all the calorie-dense 'junk' (for a given value thereof) you got fat on and replace it with the same amount of 'healthy' (again, given value thereof) food you could be like at least halving your calories seriously it's not that mind blowing.

It's not 'wahhh I got fat on less than 1,200 calories I'm a special snowflake!' it's 'wahh I'm eating the same amount of food now and feel just as full but it contains almost nothing in comparison to what I was eating before so I'm not reaching my goal!'

OP - if you feel comfortable, re-introduce some of those more calorie-dense foods into your diet in smaller amounts. Have 1 slice of pizza with a salad instead of 3 slices. Have a piece of chocolate here and there. If you're not at that level of self-control yet then as others have said olive oil peanut butter etc are your best friends! Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil on your salad and BAM 80 calories.

Also, switch out the low-fat stuff for full-fat stuff. I'm a bit of a hypocrite on that front because I eat non-fat Greek yogurt every day but that's because I quite simply prefer the taste. Each to their own, though. Point being there are lots of little ways to up your calories that little bit (and a mug of hot chocolate at dinner never hurt anyone ;) )

I love your advice, thank you!

I really do need to try swapping out low fat for full fat, I think that would help get to me to the calorie goal without adding extra food. Love it!
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    Im not trying to be rude, but I never get how people who are overweight say they can't eat 1200 cals(which most toddlers have no problem eating). If you physically can't eat that much, maybe see your doctor because a normal healthy person can eat 1500 cal easily. I can easily eat 2000-2500.

Try eating a piece of chocolate, avocado, peanut butter, nuts, etc

I need you to come talk to my toddler, trying to get her to eat is a battle. She basically exists off whole milk, breastmilk, and toddler rage.

OP: If you have trouble with peanut butter, get those single serving peanut butter packs. Toss one in a bag with a piece of bread or some apples, and there's a snack for the day for 300 calories or less. You can't go overboard on the PB with one of those, just don't let your coworkers see you licking the remnants out of the container.

LOL -- I'll go hide in a bathroom stall to clean it out! haha but really, that is a good idea. Otherwise i do have small tupperware containers for snacks or dressing, I could put some PB in those...yum yum!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, it makes me wonder a couple of things.

Have you been doing this for a while? And if so, what is the scale saying?

If you're at a larger calorie deficit than MFP says you should shoot for, you should be seeing more rapid weight loss. If you're losing weight on target for the goal you set, it's possible that you are eating a bit more than you realize. It sounds like you're coming close to the goal, and it's very hard to get your calories consumed *exactly* right. Using a food scale can help. But I think it's safe to say everyone has some variation in what they record and what they actually eat. It seems, from reading here, that it is common to actually eat a bit more than you realize. But the scale, over time, will tell you what's actually happening.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Oh I can eat that many calories, but after a month of eating light it's half mental guilt and half just feeling satisfied on not eating as much. The guilt is really starting to take it's toll though, and I need to stop that *kitten*. All of the replies here have really helped me realize that, though it's taken me to read between the lines to notice. Thank you for your feedback.
    It's really common for people who are trying to lose weight to think that the goal should be to eat as little as they possibly can, but that sets you up for problems down the line (losing more LMB along with the fat, having a really hard time mentally switching to maintenence, etc.). A better way to think about it is trying to eat the highest number of calories that will still allow you to lose weight. If you can still lose at 1370, why in the world would you try to live on 1200? Weight loss isn't punishment, and you shouldn't feel like you have to cut out every possible calorie in order to lose. That's just too much pressure.
  • mandakittykitty
    Options

If you're at a larger calorie deficit than MFP says you should shoot for, you should be seeing more rapid weight loss. If you're losing weight on target for the goal you set, it's possible that you are eating a bit more than you realize. It sounds like you're coming close to the goal, and it's very hard to get your calories consumed *exactly* right. Using a food scale can help. But I think it's safe to say everyone has some variation in what they record and what they actually eat. It seems, from reading here, that it is common to actually eat a bit more than you realize. But the scale, over time, will tell you what's actually happening.

Thanks for posting. I've been on here and religiously tracking for 30 days now. I am losing weight a bit faster than I have my goal set for...but when I did weight watchers last year the same thing happened: I dropped weight really fast the first month and then was steady from there on out. And I was hitting my points goal everyday, so it's a similar situation it would seem to me. I'm down 11 lbs in 30 days, it's been about 2lbs per week when I'm set for 1.5 per week. I do weigh all of my food and measure as well, so I'm pretty accurate. I sometimes question items in the food tracker through that are added by other people. If you go through and compare numbers, there can be a bit of variance.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Oh I can eat that many calories, but after a month of eating light it's half mental guilt and half just feeling satisfied on not eating as much. The guilt is really starting to take it's toll though, and I need to stop that *kitten*. All of the replies here have really helped me realize that, though it's taken me to read between the lines to notice. Thank you for your feedback.
    It's really common for people who are trying to lose weight to think that the goal should be to eat as little as they possibly can, but that sets you up for problems down the line (losing more LMB along with the fat, having a really hard time mentally switching to maintenence, etc.). A better way to think about it is trying to eat the highest number of calories that will still allow you to lose weight. If you can still lose at 1370, why in the world would you try to live on 1200? Weight loss isn't punishment, and you shouldn't feel like you have to cut out every possible calorie in order to lose. That's just too much pressure.
    Agreed. I'd chew my arm off at 1200 calories. When I tried to eat "healthy" I would have my small lunch and then salads at dinner (not much to them but chicken and veggies). It turns out I was eating about 1100-1200 calories during the week. Then, on the weekend when my days aren't structured, I'd eat 3000-5000 calories of whatever the hell I could get my hands on.

Granted, binging is mostly a mental problem and is due to my unhealthy relationship with food. But, you can also need to eat just because you're hungry. I'm doing better now that I've upped my calories, and what I'm doing is more sustainable. (Granted, I've pretty much maintained for the past six months because I am having problems buckling down and actually eating at a deficit.) Just make sure that you deficit is moderate for you caloric needs. It seems to work better for most people in the long run.
  • mandakittykitty
    Options

You're so right. It isn't punishment, my brain is just so mad at my body for getting to this point that it's treating it like punishment! This thread has been so helpful, thank you for the encouragement and advice. I added an extra salad with full fat dressing to lunch today...I feel stuffed but I'll still eat my snack in a few hours and add a little extra to dinner. I want to hit my net goal everday, that is what I'm realizing!
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    Agreed. I'd chew my arm off at 1200 calories. When I tried to eat "healthy" I would have my small lunch and then salads at dinner (not much to them but chicken and veggies). It turns out I was eating about 1100-1200 calories during the week. Then, on the weekend when my days aren't structured, I'd eat 3000-5000 calories of whatever the hell I could get my hands on.

Granted, binging is mostly a mental problem and is due to my unhealthy relationship with food. But, you can also need to eat just because you're hungry. I'm doing better now that I've upped my calories, and what I'm doing is more sustainable. (Granted, I've pretty much maintained for the past six months because I am having problems buckling down and actually eating at a deficit.) Just make sure that you deficit is moderate for you caloric needs. It seems to work better for most people in the long run.

Oh I definitely cheat on the weekends. I feel guilty and work out a bit harder for it, but I certainly don't double my intake. I don't know what my deal is, but I'm so glad I posted about it. It's helped me work it out in my head.

I want to add, my boyfriend is using MFP too and we started at the same time, and he's losing weight SO FAST that I think it's contributing to my eating less and less to catch up...which isn't the right way to handle it. Ugh.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

Thanks for posting. I've been on here and religiously tracking for 30 days now. I am losing weight a bit faster than I have my goal set for...but when I did weight watchers last year the same thing happened: I dropped weight really fast the first month and then was steady from there on out. And I was hitting my points goal everyday, so it's a similar situation it would seem to me. I'm down 11 lbs in 30 days, it's been about 2lbs per week when I'm set for 1.5 per week. I do weigh all of my food and measure as well, so I'm pretty accurate. I sometimes question items in the food tracker through that are added by other people. If you go through and compare numbers, there can be a bit of variance.

1.5 to 2 lbs. per week is, I think, pretty aggressive, depending on your starting weight. From what I've read here, people who have a good bit to lose can do 2 lbs. per week pretty safely, but as you get closer, 1 or even .5 is sometimes a better option. 11 lbs. in 30 days is a lot. But I'm assuming the first week or so you lost a lot of "water weight".

How are you doing hitting your macros? With so few calories, it seems like it would be hard. I'm at 1,700 and have a very difficult time hitting my protein goal.
  • mandakittykitty
    Options

1.5 to 2 lbs. per week is, I think, pretty aggressive, depending on your starting weight. From what I've read here, people who have a good bit to lose can do 2 lbs. per week pretty safely, but as you get closer, 1 or even .5 is sometimes a better option. 11 lbs. in 30 days is a lot. But I'm assuming the first week or so you lost a lot of "water weight".

How are you doing hitting your macros? With so few calories, it seems like it would be hard. I'm at 1,700 and have a very difficult time hitting my protein goal.

It is agressive, but I think you're right that a lot of it was water weight. I'm not getting skinny or anything, Hah! Started at 225 and I'm down to 214 now. My macros are good! I hit protein everyday, I usually go a little over. I keep an eye on them, though I admit not as closely as I do the calories. I eat healthy, I'm not just eating to eat. I LOVE lean protein and fruit and vegetables and fats (avocado is my faaavorite), so I'm pretty balanced...just not enough of each maybe.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    Cool. I say if you're hitting your macros, aren't losing weight at an unsafe rate, don't feel weak or tired all the time, or some other sign of a problem, you're probably good. Just keep it in the back of your mind and if you feel like you're not getting enough energy, maybe adjust.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    when I am under, I drink a glass of fresh pressed all natural apple juice.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You have about 30 pounds to lose, is that right? You should be set for 1 pound per week. This means you will be eating even a little bit more.

Find ways to add calories that is not a lot of volume of food. Use full fat dairy (not low fat diet foods). Cook with olive oil and add it to your salads or veggies. Look for higher calorie snacks like nuts. A tablespoon of peanut butter is 100 calories.

Just because you are not really hungry doesn't mean you are getting enough nutrition. Hunger is controlled by hormones and eating too little affects these hormones.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    . deleted duplicate.