Beachbody's 21 Day Fix- Don't count calories?!

Options
Beachbody has a new workout out called 21 Day Fix.

Autumn Calabrese claims that you don't need to count calories if you follow her system.

If you buy the program it comes with 7 color-coded containers and each color stands for something:

Veggies
Fruits
Protein
Carbs
Healthy Fats and Cheese
Seeds and Oils
Shakeology Cup

She says you can what you want everyday but it has to fit into the containers. So fill the containers with food for the day and thats what you get to eat.

The protein container is quite small....

I'm curious as to what people think about this.

Could this actually work?

Edit: I might be reading it wrong though, I think she means fill up each container for each meal. I'm not sure,.

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I think it could work because it is based on portion control and CLEAN eating - not just eat whatever fits in the container type of junk food. PLUS the exercise plan is pretty intense (HIIT).

Pretty sure the average person could do this on their own without the kit... but that is just my opinion.

Edit: the containers can be filled multiple times per day based on the program guidelines (it actually tells you a calorie target which breaks down the amount of each container you can have per day).
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think it could work because it is based on portion control and CLEAN eating - not just eat whatever fits in the container type of junk food. PLUS the exercise plan is pretty intense (HIIT).

Pretty sure the average person could do this on their own without the kit... but that is just my opinion.

Edit: the containers can be filled multiple times per day based on the program guidelines (it actually tells you a calorie target which breaks down the amount of each container you can have per day).

Oh okay, I really like that idea.

I think I might check it out.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bad idea.

You mentioned the protein container and how small it is. Well, bison meat for example is a good source of protein but it's relatively high in calories. So you really have absolutely no clue how many calories your taking in, at all.

I say just stick with MFP and weighing out and tracking calories. Save your money and buy yourself a purse or clothes and don't buy into... crap basically.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It's just another gimmick to restrict your calorie intake. You can get the same results with a food scale and hitting your macros. For free. :smile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It's just another gimmick to restrict your calorie intake. You can get the same results with a food scale and hitting your macros. For free. :smile:
    This!
    If you buy the program
    Counting cals and weighing/measuring/portioning out your food yourself without a color coded dish (which reminds me of a cafeteria or little kid's plate :tongue: ) is FREE, and you learn what to eat no matter what sort of dish you use.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    I think it's a bad idea.

You mentioned the protein container and how small it is. Well, bison meat for example is a good source of protein but it's relatively high in calories. So you really have absolutely no clue how many calories your taking in, at all.

I say just stick with MFP and weighing out and tracking calories. Save your money and buy yourself a purse or clothes and don't buy into... crap basically.

I have a Beachbody Coach really trying to push it on to me.

I don't weight my food on a scale, but I measure what I can.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bad idea.

I have a Beachbody Coach really trying to push it on to me.

I don't weight my food on a scale, but I measure what I can.

They are trying to upsale you on junk you don't need.
  • Babes1986
    Babes1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am doing this system right now and the protein container isn't that small its 2/3 cup and I get 4 of them a day. Its a good 30 min workout and really trains you I have also been counting my calories on MFP and I am getting any were from 1200- 1500 a day depending on what I am putting in the containers. And you can't just have what ever you want you get 3 days a week were you can switch out a container for something like a glass of wine or a healthy chocolaty snack.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    Another thing I noticed about alot of Beach Body programs, they calculate calories alot different then Scooby's Calculator or IIFYM.

Alot of them recommend eating 1200 calories a day, where as if I calculate on my own, I should be eating 1500.

So I don't get it?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight properly, and learn how to keep it off... use the IIFYM or the Free Dieting Calculator (I don't like Scooby's, it over projects calories) and get your calories.

This type of stuff is just cheap gimmicks, plain and simple. Sure, it will work, 1,200 calories is low as hell... especially if you exercise throughout the week, so of course you're going to drop lbs. Programs like this base their sales on people who have no idea about fitness or nutrition and hope they spread the word to others about how fast they lost/ or are losing weight.

Invest in a digital food scale from Wal-Mart ($15-20) and start weighing your food to be precise for yourself due to weight imbalances in packaged food like tuna. Can says there are 2 servings in the can, but it's usually 1 serving.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Only my opinion: I look at all these programs , especially the ones that have been around for a long time. They have to keep coming up with new gimmicks. Why do they need to change their program that was promised to make you lose weight and keep it off? Because they have to keep reinventing themselves to attract new and returning clients that have regained their weight.

All those repeat customers need something new to make them think the program works. Wrong.
  • MESRudolph
    Options
    I just started the program today myself It's a lot of memorization of which colors and how many each day. I feel like once you get the hang of it, you'll just be able to eyeball and know what's what. The calories do come out to be the same of what you would expect with your normal goals anyway. Mine is 1200-1500. For a quick, get-in-shape-for-spring thing, I think it'll work really well. But for long term, I've found that P90X, Insanity, and some others have been popular for a long time for a reason. You can do them over and over and not get annoyed with them. I've been a BB customer for a long time, so I definitely have my opinions! Since I just signed on to be a coach myself last month (why not!), my opinion as a newbie is that this is a great program for a quick boost, but yes it's also being pushed as the newest product.
  • stephinexo
    Options
    Wow, y'all really need to learn about things before you bash them. The 21 Day Fix is more about learning to eat clean and to teach people portion control. Not everyone is great at counting calories every day and portioning things out correctly. Not to mention, you don't have the measurements of anything so how can you say that you're not able to get enough protein or veggies or fruits? You realize you actually get 3 or 4 containers a day with just the protein, right?

Nope, you wouldn't know that because you actually didn't read it. Don't post a load of crap, please. Someone might be coming here for inspiration and you just tore them down. YOU had to start somewhere too.
  • neekosmith
    neekosmith Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been following the fix since Saturday. I was pretty skeptical at first but so far I have been really impressed. I basically got the program for free from a friend but even so I think it would have been worth the $60. It has opened my eyes to portion sizes. I am still logging my calories just so I can see what I am eating calorie & macro wise daily and I did not buy into the Shakelogy hype. The workouts are pretty hard and I have been feeling the burn all week. I have lost almost 7lbs so far on it and thats with portion controlled clean eating (averaging 1600 calories a day) plus one of the 30 minute workouts. Not too shabby.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Wow, y'all really need to learn about things before you bash them. The 21 Day Fix is more about learning to eat clean and to teach people portion control. Not everyone is great at counting calories every day and portioning things out correctly. Not to mention, you don't have the measurements of anything so how can you say that you're not able to get enough protein or veggies or fruits? You realize you actually get 3 or 4 containers a day with just the protein, right?

Nope, you wouldn't know that because you actually didn't read it. Don't post a load of crap, please. Someone might be coming here for inspiration and you just tore them down. YOU had to start somewhere too.

Nice first post.
    Bad opinion.
    Stop.
    <3
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

For free you say? Where do I send the check? :tongue: :laugh:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What happens on the 22nd day?