I want thinner, more toned thighs?

Options

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    **** I hate workout videos. and weightlifting.

But this is all great feedback thank you.

If you hate working out or lifting weights... what do you want to do?
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats and lunges are what I do. I love them, even though they are hard work! :smile: Leg day is Saturday for me....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Since you are a "pear shape" any fat you do have is stored on your thighs. Unfortunately you might have to drop to an unhealthy body fat percentage (and weight) to remove that fat. And yeah, a "thigh gap" is very genetic and has more to do with bone structure than actual fat.

But yes, weight lifting will tone and strengthen your thighs. I know for me, fat thighs with muscle underneath look a lot better than plan ol' fat thighs.

I really enjoy Stronglifts 5x5. I've also heard good things about Strong Curves.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    my thighs and legs are the only thing on my body that look good at this point. im an apple. hoping to change that.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I guess you would call me a pear shape as well. I am very lean up top, and carry more weight/fat in my thighs. I have been running for 4 months, doing bodyweight strength training, playing squash and watching cals, and I am very happy with how my thighs are looking now. They carried me for 14 km this morning on my long run, so I really can't complain about their function. I am probably down to about 20% body fat now, and my quads have some great definition. Still want to improve on my hammies, though. I have lost 3 inches from each thigh since I started (from 23 to 20 inches). Maybe some strength training would be beneficial for you? Like I said, I am only doing bodyweight exercises at home, not going to the gym.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    my thighs and legs are the only thing on my body that look good at this point. im an apple. hoping to change that.

Apples are my favourite fruit!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Drop the thigh gap thing, they are silly. I've got one, but shucks that was the "luck" of the draw with having wide hips. Understand what you can and cannot change about your natural build, and move forward accordingly.

Step 2: do squats

Step 3: do moar squats

I'm sure there are a boatload of compound exercises that will help that area, but in my own experience I've found squats to be glorious and effective. Best of luck OP
  • bachampion04
    bachampion04 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just as @ModernNerd said...definitely do them squats...that is a must and really only solution lol I would add for lean cuts and physiques you are going to want to look into the formula of high reps low weights. So try to get your reps within the range of 15-20. Start with no weights to get comfortable with the exercise work on form, then transition to the bar with no weights and as it gets easier increase the weight per side by 5.

Whoops forgot to add one more factoid you can also look for a gym that has the hid adductor and abductor machine. That's REALLY good for strength your outer and inner thighs as well as your hips. Use the same philosophy as stated above.

- James
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For the most bang for your buck, you'd be looking at heavy lifting with barbells (or dumbbells if you don't have access to barbells).

I highly suggest reading Starting Strength, Stronglifts, AllPros and NROL. Pick one of the routines and stick with it for a few months.

Other forms of strength/resistance training you could also look into are TRX Supsension and Sandbags.

If you don't have access to equipment, look into bodyweight routines from Convict Conditioning, NerdFitness, or/and You Are Your Own Gym.

Links to the above programs and some additional info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics

Stronglifts: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    (For Stronglifts, please be sure to get the Free PDF on this and read through it, not just the summary)

NerdFitness: http://www.nerdfitness.com/resources/#resources-apps

AllPros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells
  • popshoveit
    Options
    Thigh gap...
    If you have wide hips, you'll have a thigh gap.
    If you have narrow hips, you can be very underweight and still have legs that touch.
    It's your skeleton. Your pelvis/hips. Not your body fat.

I'm a recovered (?) anorexic myself going wayyy back. I remember when those two words "thigh gap" hit the internet and I wish they'd go away. It's nonsense. I've seen heavy girls with thigh gaps and very skinny girls with thighs that touch.

Personally, I can "give myself" a thigh gap depending on how I stand, with my pelvis tilted forward or back. One looks like I'm rockin a big gap even with feet and knees together, the other looks like two legs smooshed together.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Drop the thigh gap thing, they are silly. I've got one, but shucks that was the "luck" of the draw with having wide hips. Understand what you can and cannot change about your natural build, and move forward accordingly.

Step 2: do squats

Step 3: do moar squats

I'm sure there are a boatload of compound exercises that will help that area, but in my own experience I've found squats to be glorious and effective. Best of luck OP

^ listen to her…

I would also suggest picking up a copy of starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman which will give you an introduction to other compound movements. If you had a eating disorder, you probably lost a lot of muscle and lifting heavy will help you get that muscle back ...
  • fat4evr
    fat4evr Posts: 3
    Options
    I find that wall sits do wonders to tighten your thigh muscles. Try one minute at first, then two, and so on until you can read a book like that, or go through a whole magazine! Also, everyone needs to stop criticizing her! Anorexia does not define you!
    Just because she wants to make a certain aspect of her body more to her liking does not mean she is reverting back to her earlier condition. Look at her Food Diary, that is nowhere near anorexia.
    So please, don't say anything if you know nothing.
    Thank you
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Kettle bells!!

I've seen my trainer (who is certified and is a body builder for many years) working with a girl who has an amazing physique and he's helping her get more toned. I've seen him have her do (he has me do these too but a "modified" version with reduced weights or times) deadlifts with kettlebell (I've done this too and my *kitten* and thighs are shrinking and muscle is growing), kettlebell swings, swuats with the kettle bells, burpees, bunny kicks (holy hell these are brutal and burn those thights!!), mountain climbers, box jumps, push and pull the weighted sled across the gym turf (if your gym has one), seps, squat jumps...yeah these will do a whole lot for your legs!! I'm working it, I have muscle growing but until I get the fat all off you won't see the whole package....but girl these things totally are working for me!!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I will never have a thigh gap... I think genetics play a bit of a role in that. Squats and lunges are good for thighs. They always kill me.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I just read the thigh gap has more to do with your structure and how wide your hips are built anyway, so even if you slim down there is a good chance you still won't get that gap unless you are too skinny. It's an unrealistic picture of what the media says we need to be. Don't fall for it.

This.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've always had big thighs. Back in first grade I was very underweight and had big thighs. Now I have 45 pounds to lose, and still, big thighs. Idk the secret but share with me when you find it!
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've had some luck with biking and hardcore yoga, but as others mentioned, some Jillian Michaels workout videos or squats/lunges + weights will really help.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    What, exactly, do you do[/img] with a thigh gap?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Your profile says "recovered anorexic". You may want to take another look at that.