5 day water fasting?

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    If you decide to actually try this... Please come back and post how you did, how you felt, and how long you were able to stay on it...

I'd honestly rather she didn't. There are people suffering and trying to recover from certain eating disorders in which posts like this (including follow ups) may be triggering.

I'm torn on this one. I mean, I hear what you're saying, but something that is sorely missing from the forums are follow-ups w/ the consequences of things like this. Instead, we end up with people supporting them based on their "successful" experience with it the multiple times they did it...and that they're going to do it again in the future because they gained back the weight recently (for some unknown-to-them reason).

*sigh*

That's a good point, Jof. Like that Master Cleanse thread that talked about the consequences developed by the OP who continually did it.

Now I'm on the fence.
  • okay first off there is no need to say stupid rude things just saying, congrats on you for achieving your goals however you did it but dont be saying things just cause you can achieve your goals, i know someone who has done this they do it every few months to detox there body, and they said it helps your realize the foods you dont need thats all.
    I DONT HAVE ANY TYPE OF EATING DISORDER LMFAO!
    far from that!

just asking for mature responses is all. i get it not healthy! and neither are half of your guys diaries...
    sorry just throwing this all out there
    this sites for support not to make people feel like ****
    a simple thats not healthy but there are many other ways would be fine

thanks have a great night :)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Just posting to re-emphasize that a water fast, along with any other fad or deprivation diet, is just not a good idea. Neither is aiming to lose 10lbs a week.

If you want lasting, lifelong success, you have to make the time and effort to develop healthy and sustainable food and exercise habits. There's no easy way around it. The good news is that, although it may take a little while, it's actually not as difficult or unpleasant as you might believe. "Eat less, move more" is a great place to start. :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    If you decide to actually try this... Please come back and post how you did, how you felt, and how long you were able to stay on it...

I'd honestly rather she didn't. There are people suffering and trying to recover from certain eating disorders in which posts like this (including follow ups) may be triggering.

I'm torn on this one. I mean, I hear what you're saying, but something that is sorely missing from the forums are follow-ups w/ the consequences of things like this. Instead, we end up with people supporting them based on their "successful" experience with it the multiple times they did it...and that they're going to do it again in the future because they gained back the weight recently (for some unknown-to-them reason).

*sigh*

hmm, this is a good point. On the one hand, its unhealthy and she shouldn't do it. On the other, if she's going to, it would be interesting to see the long term results. However, its not a guarantee that it will dissuade others, as even the "Master Cleanse ruined my life" thread still gets people resurrecting it to say 'Imma try it anyway, it will be different for me".
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Now that is just silly! Eat right and exercise!! You know something you can do for the rest of your life!
  • PikaKnight
    okay first off there is no need to say stupid rude things just saying, congrats on you for achieving your goals however you did it but dont be saying things just cause you can achieve your goals, i know someone who has done this they do it every few months to detox there body, and they said it helps your realize the foods you dont need thats all.

Ummm..no. Please read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1159755-looking-for-a-detox-cleanse
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    okay first off there is no need to say stupid rude things just saying, congrats on you for achieving your goals however you did it but dont be saying things just cause you can achieve your goals, i know someone who has done this they do it every few months to detox there body, and they said it helps your realize the foods you dont need thats all.

Do you have a liver? Kidneys?

Good. Then you don't need to do a 'water fast' to cleanse yourself. Sounds like your friend just wants someone to join in their watery misery with them.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Ok, NOW I am in.
  • PikaKnight

*sigh*

hmm, this is a good point. On the one hand, its unhealthy and she shouldn't do it. On the other, if she's going to, it would be interesting to see the long term results. However, its not a guarantee that it will dissuade others, as even the "Master Cleanse ruined my life" thread still gets people resurrecting it to say 'Imma try it anyway, it will be different for me".

That always blows my mind when someone resurrects it to say something like that. Throughout that thread, there were others that came out with their own bad experiences, but I guess some people won't believe it until it happens to them.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Actually, if you are overweight or obese, you DO have an eating disorder.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member

just asking for mature responses is all. i get it not healthy! and neither are half of your guys diaries...

And I think it's important to note that it's totally possible to lose weight eating anything you want. Anything. Literally anything, even "unhealthy" food. Not sure whose diary you're referring to, but in the context of a balanced diet, there really is no "bad" food. I eat chocolate every day, and I had pizza for dinner last night. And so can you, if you want to. :smile:
  • PikaKnight

And I think it's important to note that it's totally possible to lose weight eating anything you want. Anything. Literally anything, even "unhealthy" food. Not sure whose diary you're referring to, but in the context of a balanced diet, there really is no "bad" food. I eat chocolate every day, and I had pizza for dinner last night. And so can you, if you want to. :smile:

^Agreed. And to emphasize: aside from starving yourself for five days, demonizing food is actually what isn't healthy as well.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    far from that!

Wow, you're just loads of fun eh? Why even ask the question? I mean, we're all a bunch of un-healthy eaters who have magically had success in a way that would clearly not work for you because you're the special one, right? I suppose we should all just fawn over your brilliance here rather than try to talk you out of doing something extremely stupid and potentially dangerous because, hey, you're making an effort right OP? :noway:

Get real, it's a bad idea, and we care enough to try to put a stop to it, but do what you gotta do, we'll see you after you're done licking your wounds post epic failure.

Rigger
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    No. Just no. Eating disorders have very specific diagnostic criteria and are serious, life-threatening diseases. I realize it's common on here to throw around the phrase "eating disorder" every time someone mentions some fad diet, but we should at least try to circulate accurate information. Saying that everyone who is overweight has an eating disorder is, frankly, insulting to anyone who actually suffers from eating disorders.
  • PikaKnight
    No. Just no. Eating disorders have very specific diagnostic criteria and are serious, life-threatening diseases. I realize it's common on here to throw around the phrase "eating disorder" every time someone mentions some fad diet, but we should at least try to circulate accurate information. Saying that everyone who is overweight has an eating disorder is, frankly, insulting to anyone who actually suffers from eating disorders.

There definitely is a difference between disordered eating and an actual eating disorder.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    far from that!

jennifer-lawrence-2.gif

I have yet to read one rude response other than yours. Sorry people aren't telling you what you want to hear, or sugar coating that it's not a good idea. That's NOT what we are here for. People here are actually telling you it's a bad idea because it is. Not just for you, but other newbies who might read this thread and think about giving it a go. Sorry, it's not just all for you.

People have given you great advice at how to lose weight. I know you're young and you "know it all" but you might just want to rethink that...

And your friend who does this every few months...please oh please tell me what it is she is detoxing? Please, I must know.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member

There definitely is a difference between disordered eating and an actual eating disorder.

this x 1000
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    I have. It sucked... a lot.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    I do the vodka fast.