is asparagus good? i need recipes

Options
jardimgirl
jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
i have never tried apparagus, and want to buy some this weekend. what does the taste remind you of? broccoli maybe? lol anyways how do you make yours? raw? cooked? ideas please :)

Replies

• PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    We always throw it in a pan when cooking steaks.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Oh yum! Much better than broccoli. I grill mine with a bit of olive oil. Smokey good.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I grill it on the George Foreman grill, or steam it in the microwave in a steam bag. I LOVE asparagus. It's great by itself, with a little hollandaise or bernaise sauce, or dipped in mayo.
  • Pants2fit
    Pants2fit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love asparagus!
    We also grill it with some olive oil and salt and pepper.
    If the grill is not on I bake it with olive oil salt and pepper.
    If there are some leftovers, it is very good cold with balsalmic dressing on it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think it's good. My husband thinks it's vile. I don't think it tastes quite like anything else.

My advice is to buy the raw kind. Cut the woody ends off and rinse it really well. Toss in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill or roast.

Or, alternately, saute lightly in a skillet in a mixture of butter and oil. You want it just soft but not mushy.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It really has its own taste. I personally can only eat fresh asparagus (canned is mushy and makes me want to vomit). I like to cook it in oil on the stove OR used to cook it on my George Foreman grill. Add a couple squirts of margarine and voila. I like it. It does make your pee smell weird though.
  • Dboggs166
    Dboggs166 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Love asparagus!
    We also grill it with some olive oil and salt and pepper.
    If the grill is not on I bake it with olive oil salt and pepper.
    If there are some leftovers, it is very good cold with balsalmic dressing on it.

Really? When we grill it there are never any leftovers! :smile:
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I but it when it is really skinny like right now. Soak it in water for about ten mins. Then, working from the bottom of the spear, bend gently until the end breaks off. If the end doesnt break, work your way up the spear until it breaks. Throw away the part that broke off. It will be woody if you cook it.

I like to steam it with red onion and lemon pepper. This is really good with thinky sliced seared pork loin. Being about half an inch if water to a boil, (use a steam basket if you have one, but if you don't just put the onion and asparagus in the water) add sliced red onion, reduce heat to med low and steam for two mins. Add asparagus and steam for about two or three more mins. Drain and toss with lemon pepper to taste.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Wow these tips are great! I need to add more veggies cause the protein and fat I got down along with carbs :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wow these tips are great! I need to add more veggies cause the protein and fat I got down along with carbs :)

I know these feels. :laugh:

Asparagus is a great addition-- it's really low calorie. When my husband is out to sea (he hates vegetables) I like to make a nice big stir fry with broccoli, peas, asparagus, red pepper, and mushrooms a couple of times per week. :heart:
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Grilled, yes! With a bit of lemon butter. Mmmmmmm

This is also delicious: Get some good prosciutto and slice it into thin strips. Wrap a strip around each asparagus stalk. Microwave in a covered dish until it's tender--a few minutes for very thin asparagus, maybe 5 for thicker--and then squeeze some fresh lemon over it. It's a fantastic snack!
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    It really has its own taste. I personally can only eat fresh asparagus (canned is mushy and makes me want to vomit). I like to cook it in oil on the stove OR used to cook it on my George Foreman grill. Add a couple squirts of margarine and voila. I like it. It does make your pee smell weird though.
    It makes your pee smell weird???? :laugh: I didn't know that.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Steam it and add a little butter and salt. Yum.

BUT I totally agree with the grilling...the very best.

I will have to try putting it in the oven and 'roasting' (if we are using the oven for other meal preparation.
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Easy peasy, I shake them in a bag with one tbsp oil and roast at 450F for 15 minutes.

They taste great but my pee stinks right afterwards, like it just runs through my body.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Can you boil them? Or is grilling the preffered way?
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    We just toss it with some salt and pepper, going to try Mrs Dash, and olive oil and let them slowly cook in the oven. We never knew how good they were or we'd have been eating them forever. Even my my dad likes them. We do have a rather unhealthy recipe we only did once so far where you wrap them in bacon and make a glaze like sauce. I'm not a fan so much as i'm very picky about how my bacon is cooked.
  • styczycl
    styczycl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After grilling, put a little fresh grated Parmesan cheese and let it melt a bit...delicious!
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It makes your pee smell weird???? :laugh: I didn't know that.

It's the aspartic acid in asparagus that give that smell.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I buy it fresh, chop off the tougher ends, and then lay it out on a cookie sheet in a flat layer. Give it a spray with some olive oil (you can buy a spray thing or use the kind that comes in a can like Pam cooking spray). Sprinkle a little ground black pepper and sea salt and put it in the oven around 350 until it's done (depends on how much you have on the cookie sheet and how thick the spears are).

We do the same thing with Brussels sprouts. Thinking of trying it next with fresh broccoli and fresh cauliflower.