is asparagus good? i need recipes

Options

Replies

• nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    Yes Asparagus is good: http://goo.gl/HyjF8a
    Asparagus has almost no calories and it takes your hunger away. The only adverse effect I know about is that after having consumed Asparagus your Pee smells devastating.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Lightly steam, fresh asparagus, until tender crisp.
    Snap off the bottom pieces prior to cooking.
    Sprinkle with pepper, kosher salt.
    Drizzle with hollandaise/fresh lemon juice or fine crumbled feta cheese.

Fresh is the best. Frozen ok when out of season.
    Canned. Gross. Mushville.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    If they are super thin I eat them raw. If they are thicker roast them in the over (or grill) with a little olive oil very quickly. They go from crisp to stringy very quickly. Add a squeeze of lemon juice if you have it.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    If they are super thin I eat them raw. If they are thicker roast them in the over (or grill) with a little olive oil very quickly. They go from crisp to stringy very quickly. Add a squeeze of lemon juice if you have it.

Oh and yes...it is VERY good...one of my favorites!
  • gabbracadabra
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I was at my friend's house and had her homemade cream of asparagus soup. It was amazing, and I hounded her for the recipe. I've been cooking a long time, and this is in my top 10 of things to cook. Not only does it taste divine, it's low in calories, low in carbs, and goes with everything! The recipe can be found here:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/creamy_asparagus_soup/

Note: I have used canned coconut milk when I didn't have cream, it came out fine. You can also omit the vermouth, or use white wine.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Love, LOVE asparagus!!!! It's best when you buy slimmer rather than thicker asparagus stalks. Rinse it under water to clean & then snap/break off the bottom end. It will break naturally at the woody point, throw the bottom end away. My favorite way to cook asparagus is to roast it in a really hot oven.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Thoroughly dry the asparagus after cleaning, then lightly coat with olive oil. I place my asparagus in a Pyrex French White baking dish (really easy clean up!), then pour a thin ribbon of olive oil over the asparagus. Thoroughly coat each asparagus stalk with olive oil, by rub it all over with your hands. Sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese & roast for 10-15 minutes. I check doneness at 10 minutes & then periodically recheck until done. It should be fork tender, but NOT soft. You want it to retain a little crunchiness when bitten into--the slimmer the asparagus the shorter the cooking time. Serve it immediately with a drizzle of a good aged balsamic vinegar. The best thing EVER!!!!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It really has its own taste. I personally can only eat fresh asparagus (canned is mushy and makes me want to vomit). I like to cook it in oil on the stove OR used to cook it on my George Foreman grill. Add a couple squirts of margarine and voila. I like it. It does make your pee smell weird though.
    It makes your pee smell weird???? :laugh: I didn't know that.

For real? Yes.. yes it does!
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    For fast and easy asparagus, I simmer a few cups of good chicken broth/stock (make sure it has salt, or add some for flavoring) in a large skillet or frying pan. I break off the tough ends of the skinny kind of stalks and simmer them in a single layer for a few minutes (1-3) until tender-crisp. Then I drain them and serve hot with a few grinds of fresh pepper.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've never shared this before because its a secret recipe, but I mix canned asparagus into ground turkey breast with a little Parmesan cheese, rubbed sage, sautéed onion, and a beaten egg to make a very moist and delicious meat loaf. Cut off any woody ends of the canned asparagus and mush it up really good. I sauté it with the onion to get the extra moisture out. Then add turkey, sage, parmesan cheese, and egg and put it all in a loaf pan. Cover and bake at 350 for about an hour.
  • Dboggs166
    Dboggs166 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Steam it and add a little butter and salt. Yum.

BUT I totally agree with the grilling...the very best.

I will have to try putting it in the oven and 'roasting' (if we are using the oven for other meal preparation.

If we aren't grilling anything else then we roast it in the oven. It comes out really good.
  • traerjudy
    traerjudy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is wonderful I don't know where you live but if you have a Fareway close it's on sale right now for either $1.49 or $.99 a pound. I have 2 stores both 15 miles away and both are different sale prices. I buy it as often as I can afford but this is the absolute cheapest I have ever seen it. It's usually around $3.50 or $4.00 a pound.
    I won't bother with a recipe. You have plenty.
  • nyhynes
    nyhynes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is shaking it in a container with a 1 tsp of olive and a bit of Montreal Steak Spice and grilling it on the top rack of BBQ.
  • pilatesXOpixie
    pilatesXOpixie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i have never tried apparagus, and want to buy some this weekend. what does the taste remind you of? broccoli maybe? lol anyways how do you make yours? raw? cooked? ideas please :)

So glad to see this post!! I've never tried it either and found myself more curious than ever about it lately but really nervous to try it for some reason. (Maybe knowing it'll make my pee smell weird subconsciously turned me off of it haha)

Cant wait to try it on the Foreman. Hopefully the weather will ease up soon so I could try grilling it outside :happy:
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I tried it because of my ex, and I loved it. I'm staying away for a while because it reminds me of him (silly I know...)

Try it with a little oil/butter and a little bit of seasoning or garlic. (grill/fry)
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is awesome.

Grill it.
    Bake it.
    Steam it.
    Boil it.

I like it just lightly sprayed with some non stick spray. A little onion & garlic powder. Cracked black pepper & a bit of salt. NOM.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I agree that canned or frozen asparagus is disgusting. ALL canned vegetables are horrid.
    Fresh asparagus, especially local Saginaw Valley "Green Gold", served the same day picked ( start the water boiling or preheat the oven before you go pick the spears....) !!
    Steamed, grilled, oven roasted, sprinkled with chopped toasted pecans, sauteed in butter, made into cream of asparagus soup, there is no way to go wrong unless you overcook it until soft. Asparagus should always be a little al dente. Coarse ground black pepper is a must.
  • cl1971
    cl1971 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love aspharagus!! I either steam mine for a few minutes or put some water in a skillet and bring it to a boil set your aspharagus in the boiling water. Once it turns a pretty bright green it's usually done. drain. put spray butter and mrs. dash on it. yummm
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Just had it with dinner. I most often roast it in the oven with just a quick spray of olive oil. Lemon is good on it as well.

It is one of my staple veggies and I have some in my garden. I won't get the fresh stuff from my garden for a few more weeks yet since there is still snow on the ground.
  • hamzapowerlifts
    Options
    I eat mine in omlets
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It IS! I am growing some. Fresh out of the garden they are so crisp and sweet that it's a shame to cook them. Plus, uncooked, they don't give you that special effect that they're known for...