WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    My husband just shared with me such an uplifting video from facebook. Google facebook anti-depression video if not on facebook. It is a video of four laughing babies that sure made me laugh and cheered me up. I don't know how to export it to share it here with you.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Sue in SD - NOW you tell me not to use the suitspinner....lol Oh well, like they say....live and learn....and die a fool. The germs in the suitspinner never dawned on me. Maybe because I was thinking that the chlorine must kill them. Yea for no weight gain

katla - good for you speaking up!

Alison - prayers for your friend. He is one fighter, that's for sure!

DeeDee - the PLAN was to do some HIIT at the Y tomorrow. But Vince just told me that the forecast is for freezing rain tonight, so I will see what the roads are like. I did get that DVD "10 minute Butt Lift" so I may do that tomorrow and do some HIIT on Sunday. We'll see.....

Carol in NC - where do your parents live? Have fun at the beach.

Sylvia - so glad you're feeling better

Toni - happy MFP anniversary. Have fun in Normandy!

Joyce - you'll love Jason's Deli. I especially like their SW Chicken Chili. Have a good lunch. Yes, steel cut oats are healthier, they have more of the bran. They also take longer to cook.

Welcome everyone new

Sylvia - prayers for your son

Rori - I'm the same way as you, if I don't exercise first thing in the morning, it doesn't get done.

momsamodel - I'll have shirataki noodles tomorrow for dinner. I like them, too. What I don't really like is that tomato sauce doesn't stick real well to them. I do try to add some veges tho

Well, this is going to be short. My sinuses are really acting up, so need to lay down (or maybe I should turn on the TV in the living room)

Michele in NC who wishes she was back in FL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Your son is in my prayers as are all the members of your family who love him. I hope the lung transplant is possible and solves the problem for your son, or another effective treatment is found.:flowerforyou:

Rori: We do still have our boats. :bigsmile: There is a sailboat, a fishing boat, and an inflatable boat that we use as a dinghy for our sailboat when we’re out on a trip. Sometimes we anchor the sailboat and use the dinghy to go to shore to play or so the dog can go for "a walk.":wink: We also sometimes use it to run over to an island across from our house. We haven’t gotten nearly the use out of the boats as we once did, but last summer was an improvement, and I’m hoping this summer is even better. The medicine DH is taking for his MS is really doing amazing things to improve his quality of life. He has more energy and feels like doing more things for fun.

Thank s to those of you who encouraged me during the RV issue. I spoke up against the RV and DH backed off, but now he wants to buy a new car. :frown: (We really need an icon that rolls its eyes.) We actually do need a car, so this is less crazy. Mine is old and on the edge of its useful life. DH went in to the DMV this morning and had his vision tested—and HE PASSED! This means he can legally drive, and it was an unexpected gift of flexibility, independence and freedom. What a blessing.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    i have been trying to decide whether to go to the Y tomorrow. I have been duplicating some of the moves we do o n the Fridays class in Silver Sneakers. If it is anything moving to the right I can do it but nothing to the left. So I guess I stay home another day, continue on my Aleve and muscle relaxant. Plus I want the whole day available in case I need to take husband to the doctor. Well, I really don't need tot ake him. I just feel much better going with him to hear what the doctor says and also makes sure he tells the doctor everything. Funny how men NEVER do the same with their wifes. Just us busy body women.1:laugh: :laugh: He has had another dose of diarrhea this evening after supper. He refuses to change his diet in any way. He had a fried pork chop and cole slaw for supper at Cracker Barrell. He loves the country gravy, you now the one with the extra pepper and seasoning in it. He always ask for an extra bowl of it so he can dip his corn muffins in it. So He came home and had diarrhea. But this Lomotil says no more than 4 doses in a 24 hour period. That means only one more until tomorrow around 2 PM. His abdominal pain is off and on. He just refuses to eat bland or low roughage. MEN

Got our elecric bill. What is everyone paying in this awful frigid weather. Ours was the highest it has been at $234. We had our twice a year check done our heat pump this year and he said we should be grateful it is that low. I do't feel so grateful. I need you all to make me feel gratefull and tell me how much higher you are paying!!!

fixed my nice bedtime snack of yogurt, pineapple and granola tonight and was walking back to my office to slow down. I use styrofoam. Yep, not good for the invironment. Well I guess I was holding the bowl wrong and it all went on the floor.:sad: So it got a good scrubbing. Plus a waste of good food. I was glad the cat wasn't in there. She would have been helping me. But she is mad at me for about an hour after I give her that awful syringe full of medicine. So she stays away from me.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Joyce,I electric was 255.At least double before the winter.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm either still struggling or struggling again. DH wants a new, expensive car since we aren't getting an RV. I wish my car wasn't showing signs of age and wear so I could just say no without thinking about it. I also wish his pressure to do one thing didn't morph into pressure to do another quite so quickly. Wise advice and prayers for calm are requested.

Katla
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    morning my friends~
    wow my hips are killing me,dont think I will racewalk today maybe try some yoga. go into work at 9 so gotta get my butt in gear..
    well made the carrot cake oatmeal, came out a little to soupy for me, and it is quite sweet,but if any of you try the recipe,tell me what you think
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, very busy today, so not much from me.
    I came across a recent picture of myself and realized my face is less fat. Good to see!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Carol in NC:smile: Have a wonderful time!!!! It is absolutely nasty here, freezing rain, snow and sleet….YUCK:angry: !!! Tons of people are out of power, I`m feeling blessed mine is still on! Tomorrow it`s going to be 60 degrees….this has been one strange winter:noway: !

Sylvia :smile: So glad you`re feeling better! Prayers for your son:flowerforyou: !

Margaret :smile: Coffee:drinker: and water:drinker: :bigsmile:

Toni :smile: Welcome! Your trip sounds fabulous!!!

Heather :smile: Sounds like you had a fantastic shopping trip!!! Glad you got a beautiful red purse:love: , now you need some sassy red shoes!!! One of my favorite outfits to wear is a pair of jeans, white button down shirt and red cardigan and my red sassy flats!!!

NinaMOlson :smile: Welcome! Sounds like you`ve been really busy! My weight gain seems to be right in my middle:grumble: , so annoying…it`s been a bugger trying to get it off:angry: . I never had a big waist before, now if pants fit in my waist they are huge everywhere else, when they fit everywhere else they won`t button….My advice on the no energy to exercise is to get out and go for a walk, do it every day, you will find before long you`ll go for longer distances and have much more energy when you`re done! Little steps and build up…you can do it:bigsmile: !

Deb (Raggiemom) :smile: Welcome! Congrats on those 4 pounds gone!!! Stick with it, you`ll be feeling better and getting those numbers back in normal ranges before you know it!:bigsmile:

Jane Martin :smile: Glad hubby is feeling better:flowerforyou: !!!

Pennie :smile: 70`s flower child…..not a thing wrong with that:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: !!!

Alison :smile: Glad you enjoyed your massage!!!

Yanniejannie Want to come help me clean out my closets:huh: ???? I saw on the news the other day Goodwill and other charities are looking for donations right now, so I will do my part and at least get some of my clothes out of the closet to donate:bigsmile: . I forget where you`re located….do you have all this nasty ice and snow and yes wind too?

MA :smile: What a wonderful way to spend an evening, playing with puppies:love: !!!

Sue in SD :smile: Congrats on the good results!!! Take care of that pneumonia, that`s nothing to fool around with:flowerforyou: !!!

Kim in N. Cal :smile: What a wonderful thing to help your friend out!!!

Brenda :smile: Glad you`re feeling better:flowerforyou: !!! Your trip to NY sounds fabulous!!!

Sandy :smile: Enjoy your rest day!!!

Barbie :smile: I finally found the book that came with the Vitamix and they have lots of recipes for juices and smoothies. I`m trying to incorporate something in the morning, I just can`t eat early, but I figure I can drink something, at least I`m going to try:bigsmile: !

Rori :smile: Wish I could take a video of Noel dancing, it really is funny:laugh: !!!

Okay I`m going to post this now, my power just went off and popped back on, not sure how long it will stay on:sad: !

Have a great day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in nasty NC:angry::sad:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends!:flowerforyou:

Katla - Boys and their toys! :tongue: Most men like new shiny things - my sons included. I think DH would fade away if he had to drive an old car. :laugh: We are very much enjoying ours. I think I will take it for my first tiny drive today. Just a few local streets. I think, like you, I am an underbuyer and am generally happy to make do and mend and only buy the necessary. I always say, if I don't need it or love it then it doesn't get bought. :laugh: I have far fewer shoes, clothes, bags, linens etc than anybody I know. The one exception is food ingedients - you should see my spice cupboard! :noway: :love: :love: I think it is difficult for us to see the need other people have to own things and acquire stuff. I am often amazed at the extravagance of my friends and the money they spend on frivolous and unnecessary things - new furniture, carpets etc. Most of my stuff is years and years old, often inherited! However, I am working on this. One of the precepts in The Happiness Project is to spend out on necessary things. A new car could be necessary to your DH and might make him very happy. You could see it as a celebration of his improving health. Let's face it, none of us is going to live for ever and that might be in his mind as well, not knowing how much healthy life he has got left.
    Recently I have got my phone, something which had been niggling at me for quite a while, and I spent on the red handbag yesterday. I didn't need it, but I loved it. It was a stretch for me though.

Good luck in your decision. If it doesn't leave you financially strapped, then I would let him enjoy himself. If it does, then you might have to stand firm.:ohwell: One of my friends, who has lots of friends in very poor health, or who have died, has decided to spend most of her money. Her ex husband is in a locked ward with Alzhiemers.

One of my funeral tunes is ENJOY YOURSELF IT'S LATER THAN YOU THINK.

Well, I am having a delicious mixture of grains for lunch that I cooked yesterday and divided into 3. Giant couscous, brown rice, quinoa and green lentils. Quadruple yum! I have it with avocado, salad bits, and light philly. DH is having my home made granary rolls with ham.
    I am going to make Rhubarb Vanilla Vodka today with our own rhubarb. Last year we kept it so long without drinking it that the colour and flavour faded and it turned into Vanilla Vodka, :laugh: Still delicious. I hope to drink it by Christmas this time!:laugh:

Bye for now.
    Heather in flowery Hampshire UK
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, very busy week got 2 puppies into the vets for check ups and needles , one had ear infection so now the race is on to catch her and put them in for the next 5 days, they are smart and know the bottle now, but its exercise.

:heart: my heart goes out to so many of you dealing with health issues personal or family related it can be so stressful, please take care and hopefully time will heal prayers for all

So glad to hear of the great weight losses and nsv everyone is working so hard congradulations:drinker:

:flowerforyou: today is our 44 th wedding anniversary so we are going out to dinner already know I am having salmon and veggies so should be okay.

Well have a good weekend hope the weather improves but we are looking at more snow here for a few days

Juanita in sudbury
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,774 Member
    Options
    Just saying Good Morning! I've been reading your posts everyday. Sometimes laughing out loud ... definitely praying for many of your situations.

It's been a tough week ... stressful ... been a challenge to stay on track ... but some positives too ... so I'm thankful!

Have a great Friday!

Beth in WNY ... can see the pavement (but not the grass)!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    Deedee coffee:drinker: water:drinker: Love the walking. Looking forward to our snow and ice being gone so I can walk outside again. Hope power wasn’t off for long.

Sylvia prayers for your son and hugs for you.:heart: Take good care during this stressful time.

Cynthia encouraging seeing a thinner face.!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather I agree life is too short and is meant to be enjoyed. Love the red purse. Grain mix sounds yum.

Alison I am going to try making the carrot cake oatmeal once I am done posting. I am going to try making it on the stove and not a crock-pot. I will use 5-minute oatmeal.

Katla I drive a ten-year-old car and am in no hurry to up grade. I like my car, so I understand your hesitation.

Joyce ours was $320. We kept the heat at 68 day and 63 night too. We still have our older furnace. New one is on order. They are so busy here they haven’t called us to put it in. We had 50 days of below zero temperature at night. Explains the high bill.

Michelle no weight gain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbie I am with you for whole fruits and veggies.

Sandy cardio fit box class rigorous as it sounds?

Brenda tour sounds delicious.

Joyce sounds like he just has to learn the hard way.

Sue SD glad to hear you are on the mend.

Yanniejannnie thanks for the update on Gloria. Sounds like your guy learns the hard way, too.

Did get to bed earlier in anticipation of time change. Just watched the laughing babies again. Great way to start my day! Yesterday got the Easter decorations out. Makes me think spring will come as I look out at our mounds of snow.

Goal:
    Take care of myself today, so I have a healthier tomorrow
    2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Went back a page and tried to catch up a bit. Glad it's the week-end and since the weather is forcasted to be warm I plan to open curtains and windows to start my spring cleaning. I can't believe the time changes this week-end.
    I have three more Sundays to work and then our Y will close on Sunday's. We only open Jan through March. The 23rd I won't work because I am taking my PT test. I've been studying.
    I am weighing in tomorrow morning and today I started on a 1200 calorie a day plan. I've been stuck at the same weight for months. Between working more hours, the weather and my knee I've slacked off on exercise so I've cleaned the cobwebs out of my brain, and I'm ready to make some changes. I think I've gotten into a rut and emotionally got to the point where I thought nothing was ever going to change. I remembered yesterday that my life is not destined to be, I am in control of writting my own story. That is just what I'm going to do too!

Brenda, MD Glad to hear you are feeling better. I love going to NY City, I haven’t been in a few years but am thinking it’s time to start planning another trip.

Sylvia, Prayers for your son, you and your family.

Joyce, IN Luckily my utility bill hasn’t been bad, but I refuse to turn it up. My poor DD had a $740 one this month. She said it broke and they didn’t know it so the emergency back- up came on and once it does it stays on. It’s been so cold that it didn’t over heat the house and they didn’t realize it.

Grandmallie, Do your hips hurt on a normal basis? I have bursitis and mine hurt most of the time I walk but not to the point that I can’t. Since hurting my knee my hips are really painful and the doctor has suggested the cortisone shots in them. I had one in my knee and have felt great relief so I’m thinking I’ll try. I love massages, I have a gift certificate for one I got for Christmas and would love to go, but the place only books appointments in the day time hours right now, they are looking to hire another person.

Raggiemom. Great job on the weight loss! You are right that all those health issues can be helped from weight loss, and from exercise.

NinaMOlson, You sound just like me a few years ago, my average work week was like 60 hrs, plus college and homework. You can do this!

Heather, Good for you! I did the same thing but bought a pretty pink one, and not a pastel pink either. Yahoo!

OK, I gota get back to work.

God Bless and be healthy,
    Patty from Cincinnati
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Strike up the marching band!!!!

Today I finally hit 100 pounds lost!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Hubby threatened to take me out for a big pizza to celebrate. He was joking, of course.

That is over 33% of my body weight GONE! I was thinking about what 33% means, and thought that if I got a coupon for 33% off at a store I would think it was a great coupon. I still have 1.8 pounds to go before I get to Onederland, and another 55 pounds before I hit my goal, so I can't rest yet, but I'm pretty happy about it, as you might guess. I'm 2/3 of the way there!

Have a great day, ladies! I know I will!

Sylvia
    (Eager to see my ticker today)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Just taken the car out gor a very tiny test drive round the block. I love it, but my knee doesn't. It's a much heavier gear change and I can hear my knee grating. Luckily I'm not driving round in town all the time.:tongue:

Just wanted to say, Sylvia, it must be so worrying for you. I don't have any personal experience of lung transplants, but I watch a lot of medical programmes and people seem to have good results. :flowerforyou:

A really springlike day today and guess what, the neighbours are strimming! :sad: I live in the countryside and can never go outside when it's nice because someone is always making a racket! :sad: No wonder I prefer the winter. Unfortunately in our living room the noise comes straight down the chimney so if someone is tractor mowing it sounds like a train outside.

DH is out there spiking the lawn. Tomorrow I will try to zap the weeds that have sprung up in the gravel with all this rain. It's forecast to be dry and sunny. I have my hair appointment at 2pm.
    I want to buy some Cavallo Nero seeds. Last year I bought some and looked forward to delicious cabbage. What came up was dill. :noway: :noway: I shoild have taken the packet back to the shop, but couldn't be bothered. Let's hope I get the real deal this year. I will make sure I put a mesh tunnel over them as last year we were plagued by cabbage white butterflies. I was out there twice a day sqishing caterpillars. The purple sprouting broccoli is beginning to produce now though, so my efforts were worth while.

Deedee - yes, I do fancy red shoes, but my feet can't really wear anything other than trainers with orthotics for any length of time. As my mother would say, "I'm a martyr to my feet! " I can wear boots briefly. I tried heels last summer for a party and instantly regretted it. I fancy the white top though and sm going back with my 20% off voucher to get a white lacy top I fancy. Then I'm all set for Edinburgh next weekend.:bigsmile:

Love to all. Heather in flowery and sunny Hampshire UK

Edit - Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh, Go Sylvia! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Just popping back in to say that since my THIRD letter of complaint everybody seems to have jumped into action and I have had 2 emails back from them :noway: and a phone call from the leasehold people about the lease extension. Let's hope I get my window for my poor tenant and the new lease doesn't prove too expensive.:sick:
  • FitDonna54
    Options
    Hello All . . I need some re-assurance and renewed motivation.

I started recording my Food and Exercise 2-3-14, something I have never done before. I am 54 years old and want to lose 20 lbs. I am extremely frustrated right now because I am not seeing the weight drop even though I can see and feel it in my clothes.I am exercising 30-40 minutes daily, drinking a minimum of 10 glasses of water and keeping my calories under 1000 daily eating mostly protein. Since starting this 2-3 I have lost 5 lbs. Last night I even skipped dinner hoping to see a difference on the scale this morning to motivate me and I had gone up a few ounces. Has anyone else experienced this? I am not ready to quit but would love some words of wisdom or support from those who have been there. Thanks!!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I can't remember who asked what, so here are the answers: my parents live in Marion, NC and I am currently in Emerald Isle, NC at a friend's beach house. It is evidently sleeting and snowing with freezing rain at home with lots of power outages. Here it is 50F with showers and high winds. I have all of the blinds open, watching the trees move in the wind, and listening to the surf. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, 60 degrees, and little wind. I shall be outside tomorrow! Today, I have my feet propped up with my Kindle in hand.

I drove in the rain for longer than I would have liked yesterday, but felt my shoulders drop as soon as I got about 10 miles away from the water. I stopped on my way in and bought perishable food (I actually bought meat!). It was fun shopping just for myself and choosing what I wanted to eat for the weekend, knowing that I would have time to cook. I watched Footloose last night and danced my way through all of the music. Between that and running up and down the steps here, I was able to eat well AND have some treats AND still have well over 200 calories left at the end of the day. I am so blessed to have this opportunity!

Hugs for those who need them and kudos for the victories.

Carol in NC (just a different part for a few days)

Edit: WTG Sylvia!!! Hooray!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Carol,

One of my favorite memories from Emerald Isle was when we stayed at a condo on the beach and I went out for a walk all by myself late at night with a flashlight and came face to face with a huge great blue heron on the beach. He was close enough to me I could have grabbed him if I tried. Or he could have stabbed me with that sharp beak. We were both pretty startled. Apparently I woke him up. We stood staring at each other for a few seconds before he decided to leave. I went running back to the condo to tell hubby, but he wasn't impressed. "It's just a bird." I had always been impressed with them from a distance, but this was the only time I saw one that close. They really are magnificent.

Have fun at the beach!

Sylvia