WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It has been an eventful couple of days. I finally told DH that I didn’t want an RV because of his vision problems, among other things. We went to the eye doctor for our annual exams yesterday. We’re both getting new glasses, and he discussed driving with the doctor. She told him that she doesn’t have the equipment needed to test his field of vision in her office, but she doubts he will pass the state’s eye test. He’s going to get that test tomorrow. He isn’t pushing for an RV any more, and I am so grateful for that blessing. I didn’t want to drive an enormous RV by myself, and I didn’t want him driving one, either. We will find other ways to travel and have fun.

Sometimes I don’t speak up when I should. I spoke up this time, and I’m really glad I did.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Well done Katla! You've saved yourself all that expense and hassle. Think of how many beautiful hotels and gorgeous rentals you can stay in for the same price and no responsibility!
    When we first got married we thought about buying a holiday house in France, which had always been my dream. I'm so glad we didn't. I don't need the responsibility any more. The fewer things to worry about, the better! People never use these things as much as they think they are going to and it just sits there. In the case of a vehicle the depreciation is terrific.
    I am now looking forward to our week in May in Brittany, France. :laugh:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    so sorry to hear about losing your furbaby, I know how hard it is,have been through it many times and it is never easy.
    I have a favor to ask..
    I have a dear dear friend that we used to hang out together as teens,he is a year older than me 55.he suffered a heart attack last month and had stents places,was home recouping and suffered a stroke.. please keep him in your prayers. I am hoping he has a full recovery,right now all is better except for his vision...a few years ago he battled prostate cancer and won that battle..
    my problems are a drop in the bucket compared to this...
    havent really been up to going to the gym,I will get back there,but it felt good to get out in the fresh air yesterday,so think I will get out and race walk again today..
    I was starving last night when I got home from work, so I gobbled down a piece of lasagna:embarassed: so the weight back up a couple of lbs,but not going to worry..
    and yes I am going for my massage this afternoon:bigsmile: the only thing is I hope they dont knead me to hard
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi Alison, I'm so sorry about your friend. That's an extra burden on you, feelings-wise.
    Glad you're getting the massage! I hope it does you a world of good. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I have read all of the posts, but my work days are all 12 hours plus, so don't have time or clarity of thought to respond individually. Relearning geometry, trig, and precalc at my age is a bit of a challenge. It is all good except for the time it takes me to review and then figure out the best way to help my students learn the concepts. Added in is the fact that there is so much to know and not enough class time to teach!! Come on June! This brain needs a break and this body needs to move!!

Alison- Glad things are going better at home. Just be careful. Have been through that and it can get bad unexpectedly. Take care of yourself. So sorry to hear about your friend. Am praying for a full recovery and no more health challenges for him in the future.
    He has been through enough!

Meg- How are you doing?

LinC- Hope all is well for you.

Barbie- I am glad you are getting to teach more dance classes. I am sure that the teacher is relieved and grateful that you are available to run the classes.

Love reading all of the stories about the dogs. My is getting old and isn't very energetic lately. He has been such a great companion and brought us so much joy. I am trying to spend a little extra time with him each day. It is so good for both of us.

Sorry I can't respond to all. My thoughts and prayers are with you all each day.

Deb A in still too cold but promising to be a sunny day in CNY:flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    Options
    well back from a freezing cold racewalk, yesterday was much better, but it is done...took the puppies out for there constitutional too..
    going to clean the fridge and pantry and throw a load of laundry in
    exciting day huh?
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Margaret :smile: Sharing my coffee:drinker: and water:drinker: with you!

Vicki :smile: My SIL had that same problem with their dog when he got old, it`s sad:sad: !!!

Heather :smile: Congrats on the new car:love: !!!

Kim in N. Cal :smile: How about cereal and or oatmeal for a breakfast, maybe some bran muffins with cream cheese, you could always have half of one and switch out the full fat cream cheese for the lighter version (just put in into a pretty little container and no one knows it`s not the full fat version!:wink: ) Or buy sweet rolls and bran muffins, just you stay away from the sweet rolls! Good luck:flowerforyou: ! Levi sound so cute:love: ! My dog Noel will bring her ball to me and push it up against my leg, tells me it`s time to play ball! If I ignore her, she just stands there and squeaks it until I finally play:grumble: !

Jill :smile: Congrats on the scale moving in the right direction:flowerforyou: !!!

Tina in MD :smile: So very sorry to hear about Duncan:sad: . They are our babies:love: !!!

Carol in NC :smile: Run, run very fast to the beach…we`re supposed to have more winter weather, sleet, freezing rain and snow:angry: ! Enjoy you well deserved trip:flowerforyou: !!!

Sylvia :smile: Are you feeling better today:huh: ? Love the joke:laugh: !!! I think it`s very important that we should find something to laugh about everyday!!!

Tartanlass :smile: Happy anniversary:flowerforyou: !!! Congrats on the 3 pounds gone!!!

Brenda :smile: Sure hope you`re feeling better:flowerforyou: !!!!

Pennie :smile: Brrrr…hope you stayed warm!!!

Sue in TX :smile: I like simple goals too:bigsmile: !!!

Mrsrcq :smile: Welcome to the group!!! Where in NC are you located? I`m in Winston Salem, Michele is close to Hickory, Carol is in Burlington, there are a few other NC girls that post occasionally, Cindy from Greensboro and Jan close to Durham! This is a great group of women on this thread, no judgments, only encouragement:flowerforyou: !!!

Alison :smile: So glad you`re getting your massage today!!! Will keep your friend in my prayers:flowerforyou: ! Look at it this way Alison…it`s a new day:bigsmile: , we can make it however we want it, so make it a happy day, put a smile on your face:happy: (even if you don`t feel like it), dance to some music while you`re doing your chores:smokin: , Noel loves to dance with me, and that always makes me laugh! And…you`re getting your massage today…that`s exciting!!!

Joyce :smile: There has been a stomach bug going around:sick: , lots of people I know have had it! Good for you getting back on your bike!!

Michele :smile: My sinus are not happy either:sad: , that tells me even though winter doesn`t want to let us go, spring is on the way:happy: ! We had almost an inch and half of snow here the other day:angry: ! Lucky you for not getting any!!!

Barbie :smile: I`m sure the dance teacher is so grateful for you taking over the classes when she`s not able:bigsmile: !!!

Sue in SD :smile: Wishing you the best of luck on your scan and lab test:flowerforyou: !!!!

Yanniejannie :smile: Hope you got some well deserved rest:yawn: !

Renny :smile: Smart idea to get up and move around:happy: !!!

Katla :smile: Good for you speaking from your heart!!! Maybe you can plan a nice trip sometime soon, just to show him you don`t need an RV to have fun trip:tongue: !

Deb A :smile: You are one busy lady!!! My little Noel will be 9 this year, she still plays like a puppy, however she has gotten a lot sassier here lately:laugh: !

Do any of you beautiful ladies have recipes for juices or smoothies? I got my Vitamix blender out yesterday morning and made apple, orange, carrot juice, it wasn`t very good:frown: , but I drank it anyhow:laugh: . Would love to have some recipes!

Have a marvelous Thursday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC where it is cold and more winter weather is coming in late this afternoon:sad:
  • grandmallie
    Options
    found a great recipe for carrot cake crock pot oatmeal, going to make that tonight for tomorrow morning.
    I just spoiled myself:embarassed: had my yummy rye wrap with some chocolate cherry peanut butter and a dab of marshmallow fluff,
    Oh the Joy :laugh:
    well I will make up for it....I promise
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    grandmaillie - if you want a relaxing massage, ask for a Swedish massage and NOT a deep tissue. Deep tissue will leave you sore. When I go they offer one that is between a Swedish and deep tissue. Mostly light and relaxing but work out knots. Maybe ask about the different kinds they offer and don't be afraid to speak up if it is too hard. This is your time to be pampered!

This is a description of what I usually get:

Signature massage -
    Our most popular treatment. A balancing massage that incorporates deeper work as needed, while still maintaining the clients goal of stress reduction and relaxation. This massage is both relaxing and therapeutic.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Michele - I am in Burlington. I haven't talked to my parents since the snow so I didn't realize that y'all didn't get anything up there.

DeeDee - I am leaving town at 1 p.m. today! Everything is packed and in my car so that I can leave straight from work. I should be able to get to the beach house before dark, even with a stop at the grocery store on the way in. It's supposed to be cooler at the beach than here, but just rain on Friday. I am considering the rain my message to rest physically as well as mentally for that day. So glad I will miss the ice and snow!

I was talking to a friend last night and mentioned that I couldn't figure out what to get to eat for dinners while I was away. She came back with the suggestion of a pork chop and chicken breast. I had to give myself a smack in the head because I so rarely buy/have just regular meat and vegetables that I forget about them. I mostly cook in batches and freeze things because it is so late when I get home from work that I don't really cook at night. So my grocery shopping this afternoon will include those things in addition to my eggs, milk, cheese, and salad greens. What a treat! In case you can't tell, I'm just a wee bit excited! :bigsmile:

My daughter went back to her apartment yesterday after her check up with the surgeon went well. My son is spending the weekend with his dad (first time in over a month). I feel FREE!

Okay, I guess I'd better get back to work so that I can actually get out of here on time. There is a computer at the beach house so I will be popping in while I'm away. Have a great day!

Carol in NC
  • catwink1
    catwink1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My goals for March 2014 ,
    I will stay on track by getting on my treadmill at least 2 days a week for 1 3/4 miles(. I already do 1 day at 1 1/2 miles) so this is a realistic goal. To stay strong by making healthy choices on a daily basis.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I mentioned yesterday that I didn't feel quite right, well I decided to go to the Y anyway and managed to do my 30 minutes on the cardio machine, then went to get dressed for the pool but changed my mind. Good thing, because shortly after I got back to the studio I started throwing up and having explosive D. It was not fun! It lasted all evening. I ate a little Trader Joes Low Sodium Creamy Tomato soup for supper, which was very good, but it did not stay down. About midnight I felt a little better so nibbled some Swiss cheese. That stayed down, and I managed to sleep a few hours. This morning I feel lots better. I think I must have eaten something that didn't agree with me, or it was just a short stomach bug. I thought I must have lost five pounds from it, but the scale says only 0.4 pounds. GRRR!

Today I have chicken in the crock pot for my supper. Hubby has a meeting tonight so I'm on my own. I'm making one of the recipes I found on that crock pot thread I was telling you about that uses a blend of spices called Garam Masala. I'd never heard of it before, but it smells good already.

This morning I was sitting in my chair and Bruno came out of the bedroom and jumped up in my lap with hubby's watch in his mouth. Luckily he hadn't damaged it. When Molly was a puppy, she killed a couple of watches. Bruno may be a destructive whirlwind, but he has a long way to go to catch up with Molly.

Carol, which beach are you going to? Hubby is from North Carolina and we try to get to the outer banks every year. We love it there!

Gotta go. I have more drafting work to do. I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Deedee back at you:drinker:

Welcome Newcomers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia thanks for the joke:laugh:
    Alison nice splurge. 12,000 steps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Prayers for your friend’s recovery from stroke and heart issues.:flowerforyou:

Heather your week in France sounds delightful. Congrats on the new car!

Katla better to find out now than having already bought the RV. I agree there are other ways to travel that will be safer.

Renny what does PD stand for? Hope it was a great workshop.

SueSD hope your medical appointment goes well. Thanks for the heads up how full of germs a suit spinner at a pool could be. ICK!

Barbie again I particularly liked the section in the book Thinner Next Year on the exercises for a good warm-up before serious strength training. I tend to dive into my activities and then wonder why I am so sore. The teacher is lucky to have you to step in, so she can heal without worry.

Pennie had ginger root with a coconut/peanut butter sauce. Bit of a splurge but it was worth every calorie. Your subway substitute without the bread sounds delicious.

Rita I think your sitter ran up against a man like my dad was. He was very stubborn and once he decided to something he did it. I agree it is time to reassess the situation with mom’s DH because what he did was dangerous. Unless the keys can be locked up he might well try it again.

Tina so sorry about Duncan. Not easy when pets are so ill.

Brenda !!!!!!!On weight loss. When I had the stomach bug a couple of weeks ago I became much more careful what I ate and have not regained the three pounds I lost when I was sick.

Jane Hugs back.

Kim hope all goes well with your company. Don’t blame you for keeping your desire to lose weight to yourself. Sounds like you have a good plan. If you make muffins for breakfast one day you could replace the oil with applesauce to cut down on calories and fat.

Carol thinking of you on the beach. Wish I was there too.

Trying to get to bed earlier each night so daylights savings time is not such a shock. Our choir director wants us there by 8:15 on Sunday and my body will think it is 7:15.

Burned 400 extra calories by all my extra movement yesterday. Also helped me get our house clean. Stopped eating by 7:00. To continue to take care of myself today, so I have a healthier tomorrow.
    2014 word: contentment
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    found a great recipe for carrot cake crock pot oatmeal, going to make that tonight for tomorrow morning.
    Sounds delicious, Alison; where did you find the recipe?

Sylvia: hope you are feeling better.

Cynthia
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am going to try and keep up with these posts and get to know everyone henceforth.
    I have been using MFP 60 days today. I didn't weigh until about 30 days in and probably misjudged my starting weight...I was afraid of the scale and wanted to get past those euphoric first couple of weeks of rapid fluid loss. So in the 30 or so days since I have been weighing I am down 7 lbs. I only weigh ever 2 weeks or so, b/c the ups and downs demotivate me. If I weigh every 2 weeks, I can count on being down. Next weigh in is tomorrow.
    I have been up and down the scale many times. I didn't have a real problem until I hit my 40s and back and knee issues curtailed my activities and upped my eating. Now I have to get this done for my health as I am facing 60 next November.
    I bought a fitbit and monitored myself for about a week. Downsizing my home, retiring, and issues with pain had knocked my activities down to an average of 2000 steps a day. I started walking in my neighborhood and now average 10K+ steps a day each week and have hit 20K on 2 occasions. I have gone from a tight 20W size (US) to a loose 18W pants on bottom and can now wear some XL and L in regular sizes on top (yep bottom heavy here)
    My March goal is to stick to my guns. I am a bit concerned on how I will do as on March 21 we leave for a week in Normandy. We are staying in a 300 year old cottage. It will be difficult to log, but I do plan on cooking a little.
    Will try my best to keep up and get to know everyone.

Toni (near Birmingham, AL)
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Margaret... PD is abbreviation for Professional Development. My accounting designation requires keeping up! This particular 2 day workshop happens every year, and is ideal for getting the required hours. In addition, every year the quality of of this particular workshop has improved. This year the theme is on sustainable development, in particular how it relates to natural resources and the environment.

Katla... I am glad you got the RV issue behind you. Speaking up is your right. Still working on that myself, but have gotten much better at it over the years.

Allison...so many have already commented on the situation you describe with your DH. I echo that and urge you to get professional help. If his behaviour is new, then he should be evaluated for possible physical causes. Small strokes for example caused my uncle's changes in behaviour. Has your DH had a physical lately? Have you spoken to your doctor about your DH? That is quite acceptable you know. I wish you well.

Carol in NC...enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your freedom! You have been through so much.

Must run,
    Renny
    from soggy Vancouver Island, BC.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla, add my voice to all the others that are glad you did all you could about t he RV. Your husband now knows it just isn't your concerns but the doctors also. Hope that helps him.

Husband woke up this morning still having diarrhea. This is his 3rd day of it. I will get him some Lomotil while I am out. He liked the Pepto Bismol because it was so much cheaper.

Trying Jason's deli today. This is our monthly group with the retired nurses. Last month we had to cancel due to all the bad weather, snow, and ice. Today one of the girls won't be with us. She said she has driven into town 3 times this week already and doesn't want to another time. She is one who I can pretty well count on in backing out when I pick a healthy place. Oh well. There are 4 of us usually and it's hard because Sharon and Sandy will just talk away, not even glancing toward Janet and I. So with Sharon not with us I can see what is going on with Sandy also. Janet is the most different one of the group. Her husband retired this year. They LOVE to travel. They have a big RV and tow it behind a BIG truck. They will usually take a month long trip and do this a couple of times a year. I think it must be their desire to spend a month in every national park in the US. They have fantastic cameras an love to take those close ups of flowers that maybe 30 pictures can take your breath away but after 300 pictures you think you have seen it all.

After going out to eat I guess I need to call the doctor. I'll see if they can do a two for one! yeah, I'll believe that.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Hi Toni - your plans sound very good. Do you mean Normandy, France? I usually find I don't put too much weight on in France as the food is so good and so fresh. Lots of lovely veg. I love France so I am jealous - I have got to wait for May.

Carol - do you like fish? That would be my first call for a beach holiday. Seafood especially.

Sylviia - feel better soon.:flowerforyou:

This afternoon we went out in our new car :bigsmile: to our large local store. They had 20% off vouchers on the internet. I have been trying to buy a long cardigan for at least 2 years and managed to buy one I have been looking at for at least that long. I didn't like the sleeve buttons, which is why I haven't bought it previously, but I can cut them off. Then I think I had a rush of blood to the head.:laugh: I have been fancying a brightly coloured handbag for some time and never had the coursge. I have ALWAYS bought black ones becsuse they will go with anything.:ohwell: Last week I bought a handbag organiser in preparation so I can easily transfer stuff between handbags (purses) and I was eyeing up some bright ones on Amazon. Didn't have the courage though. Well today I was with DH who bought himself a bright blue jumper and a stripey linen shirt, still with the 20% off, so I went mad and bought a bright RED one! ! ! ! :laugh: :love: :love: It's great, and will cheer up all my black, but it does look really strange inside my house which is nearly all blue!:laugh:
    I am really pleased with it and pleased with myself for not listening to my mother's voice inside my head, telling me to stick to safe colours. My first ever coloured bag! Yeah!:heart::drinker: :drinker:

Also this morning I dragged my memoir out and wrote 750 words. I am getting closer to the difficult bits, but still avoiding them. Today I wrote about our trips in to London to see Father Christmas when I was a small child. The stores used to have spaceship rides or stagecoach rides to go and see him. I think even then I knew it wasn't real and nor was he! ! ! ! :laugh: :tongue: Also our London Zoo trips. I remember the goats eating my pockets and riding on an elephant. Pity all my memories are not so good!:cry:

Love to all. I hope your massage goes well, Alison.:flowerforyou:

Heather in springlike Hampshire UK
  • NinaMOlson
    Options
    Newbie here!~I'm on Day 3 of logging in after an extensive hiatus away from healthy eating. I just finished up another college degree while working full time and my activity level went to almost nothing for quite a while. Add the stress of all the deadlines and life commitments, and I managed to gain 25 pounds in the past year! My formerly low cholesterol went from 164 to 211 in 6 months and I look and feel awful. Horse show season starts in May and I am not even close to fitting into my show clothes....:(

I have definitely noticed that the weight has redistributed itself 'post-menopause' and doesn't come off as easily as it used to. It's hard to get started again. I'm hungry, and don't have the energy to exercise....HELP! :)
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi 50+ers!! My name is Deb, and I will be 62 in a few weeks. Joined MFP about 3 weeks ago, and have lost 4 pounds so far. I have 50 more to go. I have multiple health issues...high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes. All of these can be helped if I can lose the weight!! Looking for friends for support and accountability on my journey.