WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Hello,all. It 'been sunny & nice in Ohio the past wk......so nice after the Winter we had.

"Juanita...........WOW!!! 44years!! Congratulations and happy anniversary! Is anyone else married longer????? "

Yes,we celebrated 59 yrs in Jan.Sounds unreal , as it seems like just the other day when we got married.we are so thankful to have each other. :love:

Congratulations to YannieJannie. What a wt loss!!! I'm thrilled for you & a bit envious too :drinker:

Has been busy wk with lots of errands .Someone mentioned cars,our money eater was buying 4 new replacement windows for the kitchen. Had no idea what a money pit windows would be :grumble:

My cold finally seems to be gone for good. I surely hope so.between that & the pulled muscles,it's been a long few wks.

Does anyone exercise with a Kettle ball?

Perch,creamed peas & salad for supper today. Think I will try the oats recipe from Allison. Will cut in 1/2 to see if we like it.

Pat in Ohio
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can be of much use to the newbies, except to say that I have been where you are now. I have had unstoppable cravings, in my case for cheese and huge helpings of carbs, like rice. I used to eat until my stomach was distended and all I could do was sleep. Something eventually switched in my brain and I think the fact that you have asked for help means that you are really ready for change. You are sick and tired of being sick and tired. NOW is the moment and you are ready. You will have slip ups, but take it one day at a time and you can do it.
    I found it helpful to ask myself what I was stuffing down and why I was punishing myself. In my case it was my marriage and my inability to face the fact thst it had run its course. Usually something is behind binge eating if only we can access it.
    I send you my best wishes and healing. I know how desperate and out of control you can feel. I even wrote a novel about it!
    There are many books you can read and websites you could explore. I agree with the others that keeping trigger food out of the house is the first step. I have found that eating proper meals is a grest help. A meal with lean protein and lots of veg makes you feel you have nourished yourself in the best way possible. It is important not to feel deprived. Some research into lower calorie recipes might help. Chewing celery probably is not the answer. It only reminds you you are depriving yourself.
    I hope you can turn this around. A switch will certainly go off in your brain and you will be able to repeat your great success. I find I have to think of this as a lifestyle, so deprivation is not going to work for me. The eating plan I use now I would be very happy to follow for the rest of my life. With exercise I can eat 1600 a day and still lose.
    Look at skinnytaste.com for some ideas. Start to enjoy your food. Good luck! :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hi Molly - Thanks for the warm welcome back - I teach college reading and education courses. I used to teach elementary reading. I am from Southern IL. I am actually about 30 minutes from KY! Where are you from? :flowerforyou:
    Sharon

Good morning!

Welcome Jean! This is a very supportive bunch, so you have come to the right place. Looks like you've lost a little already, so you've got a good start! Is that a grandbaby in your profile pic?

Sharon, welcome back! What do you teach? We have some other teachers here too. What part of Illinois are you from?

Michele, you have got to be the workout queen! I get tired just reading about all the videos you do. I've never tried a video. We have had a DVD player for years but never figured out how to hook it up. My son looked at it the other day and said it's older than the tv and needs different wires. :laugh: We don't do things very quickly at our house.

JB, you have a recording studio? Wow! What kind of work do you do there? I have to stay on my plan all week. I think if I tried to take a break I would never go back to it. I'm thinking of it as a lifestyle and not really a diet. But I do eat stuff sometimes, like pizza or ice cream. Just a little so it still fits in my plan. And not very often. Maybe once a month or less we go to Pizza Hut and I get a personal thin pizza. I like the thin crust because it's fewer calories. And I eat 3/4 of it and give the last little piece to hubby, so mine comes to about 555 calories. And it has lots of sodium, so I have to be really careful on sodium the rest of the day. You have to ask for the personal size thin crust, because it's not on the menu. But that pizza is a real treat for me. In the old days I could have eaten half a large pan pizza, loaded with meat and cheese. Those days are over.

Katla, We are out at the lake cabin and right now I'm in the recliner with a warm puppy snoring on my lap. I was thinking yesterday that this place is my hubby's equivalent of your hubby's motor home. I wish I had spoken up and said no. I don't have to drive it, but I do have to clean it. He just uses it as a quiet place to grade papers, so he's usually upstairs in his office and not really enjoying it anyway. I said yesterday I felt it was a horrible drudge, and not fun at all, and he threatened to leave me at home next time. Of course he would never do that, because then nobody would be out here to fix his meals and pick up his dirty clothes. And I don't want to be at home without him, so next week I will be right here again. I guess it's a small price to pay for all he does for me, but I have fantasies about selling this place.

I hope you are all having a great weekend. We have sprung forward, so I hope the real spring comes soon.

Sylvia

Today's joke:

Men are like a pack of Cards:

A "heart" to love them

A "diamond" to marry them

A "club" to smack them and

A "spade" to bury the body...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon and welcome daylight savings time,

Welcome Newbies:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Deedee:drinker: Thanks for the chuckles. Snow angels what fun!

Alison made the oatmeal like a carrot cake except for added minimal sugar. I did add some applesauce. It made a nice change. I did find adding cream cheese as a topping definitely elevated it. Lots of fiber without the cream cheese definitely in my calorie range for breakfast. With the cream cheese a splurge. Glad DH adopting better habits.

Renny love the idea of a health Journey. Fits with my goal of doing something healthy for myself everyday. I looked up Grain Brain. What I agree on is to try and limit sugar, processed flour, and white rice. Carbs that come from fruits and veggies have fiber that slow down the sugar spikes. It is the spikes in blood sugar that is hard on you brain and body.

Pat 59 years congratulations!

Cravingfreedom unfortunately many of the junk foods have sugar, fat and salt that once you eat them cause you to want more not less. Understand your frustration.

Jane scary about your son. Sounds like he did the right thing in calling you right away. How about the police?

Laurieharris !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on weight loss.

Kimberly sounds like you are on the right track. Logging and walking. Come back and share your progress

Heather your spring is here gives me hope. I make mistakes all the time without doing it on purpose. I love it when I do it front of students because then I can model everyone makes mistakes, just fix it, and keep going without getting upset.

Carol mediums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy on weight loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will make your goal!

Michelle yes NSV, no scale victories are wonderful!

Jb loved the shoes.

Joyce sending hugs.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia love the jokes. :laugh:

Made it to choir even though it felt like 7:15 . We sang Like a Dove today. It was a lovely piece. Tried on bathing suits today. They were o.k. but for $50 on sale I want spectacular, so I decided to wait. Maybe if I had jb’s shoes it would help.:laugh:

Goal:
    To do something healthy today, so I have a healthier tomorrow.
    Eat a high fiber diet.
    2014 word: contentment
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Bump for later
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    jb just read your blog. You got my vote.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    afternoon chica's.
    oh my I am sore...DH and I did some running earlier, bought a new TV stand for the flatscreen, so I have been on the floor in contortions trying to put that together... I put them together because SOMEONE wont mention names doesnt read directions:noway:
    never did get for a walk but have gotten 7000 steps in ,plus alot of moving and bending etc....
    made the DH ,impossible coconut pie and carrot cake for snacks for the week ...and did a load laundry early, will get to the floor in the morning..
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sharon I bet you are my neighbor! I live in Evansville Indiana which is extreme south western Indiana. We like to go over to Garden of the Gods and Cave in Rock. Molly, am I reading it right that you live in Kentucky?

Joyce, Indiana
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    HI ladies,

Today was the first day I worked out in a week because I was sick all last week. I did an exercise video on uTube and I was only to do a little over 20 minutes. Before I got sick I would do 2 hours in the gym I feel like I am taking baby steps to get back into the groove.

Diana in KY:flowerforyou:
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies: It is 52 degrees here today!!!! We had a very small choir today as many are out with viruses and four members are on a cruise but I think we did okay even with only two tenors. Last night we went to the symphony. It was a Pops concert, Denny Deyoung and the music of STYX. It was fun but very loud.:laugh:

It will be interesting to see how things go. The prednisone I am on says it may cause increased appetite and weight gain. The antibiotic I am on says it may cause loss of appetite and weight loss. I wonder which will turn out to be stronger or if it will go first one way and then the other or maybe they will just cancel each other out. Gotta love side effects.:noway:

Sandy - Keep on keeping on. You will make it to that goal. Hope you come up with a good reward for yourself.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to all with victories. Sue in SD
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Best news in many months
    my daffys are blooming as of today!!!!! Spring is here!!!! Fairly quiet day. Took some lasagna and garlic bread over to Gwen and she is seeing those bugs again and hearing noises..........and I thought she was getting sooooo much better.........sad. It seems she can stay in the here and now if I spend considerable time each day with her but when left on her own she just focuses on those invisible bugs and noises and blows it all up. Her BP was high; I gave her half an Ativan. I have arranged for a home inspection next week to put her mind at ease, although I'm sure it's going to be temporary.

jane..........What an awful night you had; hope things are back to normal now.........

pat..........WOW!!! 59 yrs.!!!! That's something to be very proud of. I think you have me mixed up with somelone else on the weight loss----believe me, I have done nothing worth congrats lately. Sylvia has hit 100 and Sandy is very close.............

Welcome newbies
    stick around and let us get to know you. My only "tip" is the very unoriginal......Eat less, move more. Weigh, measure ,log.

g'nite,
    yanniejannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michele, my parents always bought “previously owned” vehicles and never had car payments. I did the same until I got married……hubby has finally gotten comfortable with the idea of not having to buy a new car, but it was a challenge to get to that point with him.

:laugh: Joyce, you’ve probably heard the story about the woman who was interviewed on her 75th wedding anniversary and when the interviewer asked her if she’d ever considered divorce, she answered, “Divorce, never
    but murder—frequently”…good luck with your vacation plan dilemma.

:flowerforyou: Katla, I am an “underbuyer” and Jake is an “overbuyer”…..that makes for many lively discussions.

:bigsmile: DeeDee, I have a wonderful picture in my head of you and Noel making snow angels.

:flowerforyou: Jb, every time I think about pizza, I think about eating too much, never about moderation, so I stay away from it.

:flowerforyou: Jean, welcome…..this is a great thread for you…….jump into the conversation and you’ll have a ton of friends in no time.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Pat, wow, 59 years is amazing

:flowerforyou: Cravingfreedom, you have come to the right place……it has been my experience that one good way to be free of the cravings is to plan a day’s food and then stick to the plan no matter what….the first few days were hard, then I started making healthy changes and adding more nutritionally dense foods and eliminating the less healthy ones---- the longer I stayed away from foods that caused me to overeat, the easier it was…..I recommend reading “The Thin Commandments Diet” to help you create a plan----

:flowerforyou: Rose, welcome….congrats on the weight you’ve lost already…I try to read the posts every day even when I don’t have time to post a response.

:bigsmile: Renny, I like your phrase “health journey”
    I started out looking to lose weight and now health, energy, and longevity are my goals.

:flowerforyou: I walk so early in the morning that right now I am not a fan of daylight savings time……a month from now I will like it better.

:flowerforyou: We are doing an Isagenix cleanse day today…..when I was on the weight loss part of this journey, we did this every Sunday….now we do it once or twice a month. It makes for a great rest day and a good day to relax and watch TV together.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 19,000 steps today

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. It was a gorgeous day here today nearly 70. I got a lot of work done on the book. I have really enjoyed the total silence here while hubby and DD have been gone. Leonard doesn’t think his cousin recognized him at all although he did talk and was kind of active…trying to take his pants off! His wife says he started that yesterday. DH and DD will go up and see him again tonight and leave pretty early tomorrow to come home.

I feel better today; maybe the problem was the weather? I actually found myself planning different exercise while the weather is nice. Even thinking of walking and a new commitment. I am totally appalled that I have actually resorted to eating chocolate lately!!! YUK! Actually I found that I like a small amount of dark chocolate so I may reserve that for treats!

Renny: congrats on the loss!

Mollywhippet: omg that was funny!

Jb: love your post. I am still in the “no fair” camp

Kimberly: I found that tracking faithfully even when I go off my plan is what helped me the most

Heather: glad you are having some nicer weather

SandY : congrats on being so close to your goal! How about a nice trip?

Katla: it sounds like you have been upset about something? I hope things are better now.

DeeDee: what fun you must have had…wish I had seen that!

Well the phone keeps ringing and I keep losing track of what I am doing, so I’ll sign off for tonight. Take care all of you…I have missed being here. Meg
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Sharon, I'm in southeast Kansas, but we drive through your neck of the woods whenever we drive east. Hubby co-owns a tobacco farm that doesn't grow tobacco in northern Kentucky. Outside Glencoe. It's a beautiful area. Being from the flatland I really enjoy the hills in Kentucky.

Meg, we've missed you!

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun!!
    Welcome newbies.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    had a ball with the grand daughters,Couldn`t figure why I was so tired today.Besides loosing an hour<i was going all night with the little one.:love:
    Going to son`s for the week,son has a training.So will have 5 Violet days.:drinker: :drinker:
    HUGS:drinker: :heart:
    jane
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. I made the lemon asparagus chicken from skinny taste.com for supper. It was pretty good. I'm feeling almost normal again, but my wrist is still very, very weak. I haven't taken an Aleve since Friday morning. Three days in a row, I've been under on my calories. Sure hope I can keep it up.

Congrats to those with losses. Hugs and prayers to those who need them. Thanks to all who take the time to respond to many.

I love this thread!
  • teetime304
    teetime304 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Just found you! I'm a sort of newbie...60 days into this lifestyle change. A little about me...
    I log every day, I'm always on and will offer support and love to chat. I'm 55 and struggling with perimenopausal stuff (migraines, palpitations, weight gain). I'm a pretty healthy eater who loves to cook and exercises regularly. I can chat recipes all the timLOL I'm an avid user of the elliptical and walk with my exercise machine with fur...my lab mix! Hubby and I recently were relocated (again), this time to PA. I don't know anyone in our new location, so my MFP pals are my truly my friends!
    Feel free to friend me!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    yanniejannie - how's the pollen count by you? That could be the reason your throat felt horrible

cravingfreedom - welcome! Now that the warmer weather is here, hopefully you can go outdoors and distract yourself from the thought of eating.

Sylvia - does the Pizza Hut by you have the Fit and Delicious pizza? That's quite good and lower in calories. I think they use low fat cheese for one thing. Unfortunately, they don't have it around here :(

losingw8now - welcome!

lauraharris - welcome and congrats on the loss

katla - the Green Room is the local community theater. I know that part of my weight problem is that I was raised by my grandparents who raised their family during the depression. So...they instilled in me the "clean plate" moral. To this day, I have to have a clean plate. It certainly helps if I put some of my meal in a to-go box, but I find it so hard to leave the plate with food still on it. I'm sorry your dad lost his father at a young age. I bet he didn't get any sort of "counseling". I know that I didn't. And I think I turned out pretty OK. Today, if a child loses his/her parent/s at a young age, they immediately get counseling.

Jane in CO - good for you not eating. I surely would have. Yup, those calls at weird hours strike fear in me, too.

Renny - how I wish I could clear my pantry of all foods that I shouldn't have. Vince likes his chips and cookies and stuff like that. I have found, tho, that I try to buy only the types of chips that he likes that I don't. And whenever we get the GS cookies (fortunately, we haven't had any so far this year), I usually will buy the ones he likes that I don't. I may get one box of something that both he and I like, but for the most part I get what he likes that I don't. That's how I handle this. I don't care for soda, either. Vince likes (or thinks its better for him) the sugar-free soda, which to me has artificial sweetener. I may have a craving for a regular soda once or twice a year, and then I will get one of those small plastic bottles and be done with it. Yes, the refirgerated ones cost more, but at least I don't have extras sitting around calling to me.

Pat - 59 years of marriage???? Now THAT'S impressive! I think I'll have the other half of the chicken breast from yesterday (actually, I want to get rid of the container in the refrig), a sweet potato and some veges for dinner.

This lady who makes clothes around here called me. She said she can make the costume for Jessica, there are certain things she'd need to supply the lady with, the pattern, the material, measurements, a zipper. It'll be in the range of $30-$50. Don't know how Jessica feels about spending that much, so I want to check with her first. Why she waited so long to do this is beyond me

Heather - great advice to the new people. You know, I don't think celery would work for me, either. For the exact reason you cited. It would only remind me that I'm depriving myself, and then I'd feel real bad and then binge eat which is what I wanted to avoid in the first place.

Diana - baby steps are the way to go! Good for you getting back into exercising

Sue in SD - let's hope for the side effect to be decreased appetite and weight loss!

I don't remember who mentioned it, but I checked out the "smore" pizza. One recipe had you using chocolate chip cookie dough for the "crust". I think that'd probably be better than pizza dough. I guess that's one of the problems with everyone posting, you mix up who posted what or else you forget. It's not our age, that's for sure :)

Meg - seeing his cousin not recognizing him must be so hard on Leonard! My heart goes out to all of you

I have these chicken legs that I made for rummikub before we went to FL. Then due to Mother Nature it was cancelled until the next week which I wasn't here for. So I put those legs in the freezer. Now I need to take them out and thaw them. Does anyone know of a site where you can input an ingredient and it'll give you ideas of things to make (with calorie counts)?

Had to run to the food store near me to get apple juice concentrate (I'd trotally forgotten to get it the other day) and it felt so so good to just put on my sandals and go.

Made a zucchini apple bread today. Actually, the recipe makes two loaves so I'll give one to the guy at the Y whose birthday it is (he's diabetic so I got it from "I Can't Believe This Has No Sugar In It" cookbook.). The other one I'll give to the lady who'll make Jessica's costume. I've sent her pics of the pattern and will give her the pattern on Fri when I'm at the Y.

Jessica just called. Said that $30-$50 is OK with her. It's actually less than she thought it would be. she talked about coming down here next weekend so that the lady can measure her. I tried to talk her out of it (I know that's lots of miles on her car and an expense), told her how the lady has mannequin that she can adjust to the measurements. Jess was wondering who could take her measurement, I suggested a place that does alterations I'm sure they'd know how to do it. Don't know if she'll be here or not.

I had prelogged a grapefruit but didn't get to eating it and now realized the time and remembered my Lenten "sacrifice" so I didn't have it. Well, I think I've made up for it during the day, anyway.

Hope everyone has a great evening

Michele in NC where it's getting nicer
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well, I am at home again. *sigh* The trip did what it was supposed to which was to allow my brain and emotions take a break from work and dealing with my children's illnesses. What a delight to clean up after only myself (in other words, virtually no cleaning!) and take no one else's tastes into consideration when choosing food, movies to watch, mealtimes, and bedtimes. I thoroughly enjoyed my walk on the beach yesterday--I ended up walking over 10 miles altogether according to my Fitbit. The sun was sparkling on the water and the blues were bluer than blue in the way that only the sky meeting the ocean can be. I sat down and just watched the waves and the play of light on the water for a bit; it was so beautiful it made me teary. I was so incredibly relaxed in my mind. My body, on the other hand, was telling me that I had walked enough! :laugh:

For yesterday and today, I changed my goal to maintain so that I could eat some extra treats that I don't have at home. I still came in under calorie goal due to all that walking! Tomorrow I will change it back to 1 lb per week. It occurred to me a few days ago that I'm not exactly sure when I should change it to 1/2 lb per week as I get closer to my goal. I have enough saggy skin as it is, so I don't want to make it worse by losing faster than I ought to.

This morning, I got up and started a load of sheets, ate breakfast while they washed, took a shower while they dried, then put the towels in to wash while I cleaned the bathroom and vacuumed. While the towels dried, I took another walk on the beach! I don't usually get to do that because, if I have my son with me, he is dirtying things faster than I can clean up. :ohwell: (Since my good friends own the house, I am extra careful about leaving everything perfect.) Afterwards, I stopped by my little deli and picked up a sandwich and cookies to eat on the road. Delicious! I haven't eaten anything since I got home--probably because I ate so much yesterday. :blushing:

Now it's off to bed and and dreading another work week. My best male friend is moving on 'Tuesday and I told him I would come back and finish helping him clean his apartment tomorrow night. My son has an appointment with his psychiatrist tomorrow so that will break up that day a bit. On Tuesday, he has a dentist appointment, but I hope his sister will take him. We both have plans to attend a concert in Carrboro on Tuesday night and he has his endoscopy at Duke on Thursday. I wonder what a "normal" week looks like? :tongue:

Carol in NC
  • flolita
    flolita Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not new to MFP but new to surfing through the community. My goals for March are to hold myself accountable by loggin gevery day and to get some form of exercise at least 6 days a week. I need the exercise as much for stress relief as for weight loss and toning.