WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the kind words and support! Meg, you actually made me chuckle! My mood got somewhat brighter as the day went on, but my stomach still hurts. I guess it's a good thing that it is no longer used to that kind of abuse. :tongue: I just looked in my "evidence bag" and am surprised that I overestimated how much I had eaten by 400-500 calories. I guess I should have gone ahead and looked this morning; maybe I wouldn't have felt so bad about it. :ohwell: I did end up cancelling a meeting with my best male friend tonight because I felt so physically bad. He asked if there was anything he could do and I told him nothing unless he knew how to make both my head and stomach quit hurting. I got a text from him a little later that said "Fart hard!" :laugh: I love having male friends!!

Today was filled with sleet, freezing rain, and snow. A dreary, gray, cold day. Luckily, the roads were still not icy when I drove home. My son was supposed to work until 7 p.m. and I was very happy when he called at 6:15 p.m. and said they were all done. As much as I detest getting up in the dark, I love getting home during daylight. Do any of you have ideas on how to get the child out of bed in the mornings? He was late to work (by about two minutes) today because he did not get up even after I had turned on his lights and made him sit up. He had drifted back to sleep! I bought him an alarm clock that is incredibly loud, flashes lights, and even has a vibrating thing to go under his pillow, but he turns it off in his sleep and never remembers it. I'm out of ideas!

BTW, I read several articles on bingeing this afternoon. All of them recommended getting plenty of protein and healthy fats so that your body would register that it was being nourished and diminish it's cravings. I know I feel fuller when I eat lots of protein, but I seem to miss out on fruits and veggies when I do. I also read one that gave a list of 50 things to do instead of stuffing one's face. I've heard all about brushing your teeth, setting a timer, etc., but I'd never thought about doing something "nice" for yourself like painting your toenails or coloring with crayons really hard to relieve stress. It was a good list of things to do instead that didn't seem like punishment. I plan to pull out my journal and get back started with that--I think it's time (as long as I can find the time).

As for the "man" thing, I have developed an answer for when someone says, "Now you just need to find yourself a man." I just look at them and say, "What would I want with one of those?!" It usually stops them dead in their tracks and elicits a smile. :wink:

I'm going to go to bed now and see if I can get some sleep. I am well aware that fatigue is one of my problems with both the angry feelings and the bingeing. Good night! :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Carol in icky, icy NC
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm pooped this evening :yawn: after having house guests yesterday, and 2 birthday parties, whew. Bed will feel mighty good tonight. :wink:

Someone was mentioning a star magnolia tree the other day, Michele maybe? I just took this pic of the one in my back yard, and a closeup of a single flower. They're lightly scented, heavenly!! :love:

starmag.jpg

starmagclose.jpg

I'll read and write more later, or tomorrow. :bigsmile:

:smile: jb in pretty Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We're still in Colorado, and have had two excellent and exhausting days with DD, DGD, and SIL. Tomorrow is DGD's third birthday. We are so lucky to be able to share it.

At this point I'm very tired. I hope to get a good night's sleep and be recharged for tomorrow.

Tired and happy Katla
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Meg - glad your brother is better. whenever I'm in downward facing dog pose, my cats like to walk under me....lol

Pennie - you have no idea how much we are ready for, at least, decent weather. Not this wearing a heavy coat stuff in March

Alison - for my Lenten sacrifice, I'm giving up eating after dinner. I did have to have a small piece of the cheesecake lady who hosted Rummikub's made, but I only had a small piece. But I had been so good, was really getting to where I thought I would be able to kick the habit of eating at night. but such is not the case. I'm really wanting something to eat right now. Not because I'm hungry, more out of habit and just want to put something in my mouth.

yanniejannie - my heart goes out to you

I recorded this episode of "Food Court Wars" because it was filmed at the mall near me. I was so hoping that the people who made this chicken salad would win and get the spot in the food court, but the people who make wings and pizza won. What a downer. Wings and pizza -- just what we needed! Well, that's the kind of food that too many people want. And they wonder why there's an obesity epidemic???

Kim - what a cute pic!

Carol in NC - pass me a wipe so I can clean off my monitor, will ya. I need it after reading about the "fart hard"

jb - thanks for posting the pic of the star magnolia tree. What a pretty tree. Reminds me of the breadford pear. Do the flowres fall off and then it has green leaves? Is it sturdier than the bradford pear?

katla - have fun tomorrow.

Maj'd only once tonight. Oh well.........

Now to go watch DWTS.

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone! My son had an appointment with his pulmonologist this morning, so I picked up the kids at 9am and brought them to my house. One little girl curled up with my ipad most of the day, till I told her the battery was dead and I had to recharge it, so then she went outside to play with her brother. The oldest girl asked if we could make a cake, so we looked in the cookbook and found a recipe for applesauce cake, so we made that. My hubby and son both came for lunch and I made grilled cheese sandwiches. I had Swiss cheese on mine. Yummy. I didn't have any of the applesauce cake, but everybody else seemed to like it. It smelled good, that's for sure.

Then hubby went back to work, the kids went outside to play some more, and my son sat with me talking for a couple of hours. That was a rare treat for me. Then at 6pm I took the youngest granddaughter to her Girl Scout meeting.

It was a really nice day, but I never made it to the gym. Tomorrow I'm putting the gym first, then picking up the kids for a little field trip out to the Greenbush Education Center where we get to tour their science area and observatory. I'm looking forward to that.

Carol, after a truly horrible first marriage, I used to think of my fat as jerk repellent. Did not even date once in 12 years. Then I met my husband and he actually pursued me just as I was. Then, after we got married he stood by me while I gained, and gained, and gained. And now that I've lost some he has been my biggest supporter. He is truly a saint! So, my point is, there are nice guys out there if you want one, who will love you no matter what size you are. But if you don't want one, that's great too.

Well, I'm getting sleepy. Have a great night.

Sylvia

Here's today's joke of the day:

Having arrived at the edge of the river, the fisherman soon realized he had forgotten to bring any bait. Just then he happened to see a little snake passing by who had caught a worm. The fisherman snatched up the snake and robbed him of his worm. Feeling sorry for the little snake with no lunch, he snatched him up again and poured a little beer down his throat. Then he went about his fishing.

An hour or so later the fisherman felt a tug at his pant leg. Looking down, he saw the same snake with three more worms in his mouth...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Carol, I am single too – and actually am choosing to lose weight in hopes that I could find a date. Last date was 13+ years ago. I have a wall that is up; and I know I need to tear it down for easy access – but I have been hurt so badly so many times – that my heart wants to try again; and my brain says why the *ell would you set yourself up for that hurt again? But I don’t like the loneliness – part of that is that I have no family either… I think if I had siblings and cousins (well there is one stray in Conn.) I might not feel so like I needed someone.
    I have not lost enough that it is being noticed but I do get asked if I am straight, and I always answer with "oh I am so flattered you wanted to ask me out, but I am straight - I hope you find someone else to date" That usually stops them ! :smile:
    Lucy – good job with your daughter! Hard to be strong but worth it.
    Rita – hang in - I hate car repairs!!!

Well I vented earlier - looking forward to tomorrow!
    Kim in N. CAL
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, what did your son's pulmonologist say?
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I got behind in the posts ... so I'm just commenting on a few!

Gloria ... so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Be gentle to yourself... grieving occurs in waves. Will be praying that you receive a full measure of peace and comfort in the days ahead.

Carol ... you also are in my prayers. I know all about "angry." Hoping that Spring will bring you new perspective. It sure has been a long "winter" for you!

Hoping to get back on track today .... too many Irish Soda Bread Cookies yesterday!

Have a great day!
    Beth
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Michele :smile: I`ll post some pictures when they finally come out in full bloom!!! Jb`s star magnolia is gorgeous:love: …mine just has a few flowers on it right now. The flowers fall off and green leaves fill the tree, it really is a beautiful tree, I wish mine was it in the front of my house and not on the side, it`s the side I don`t see all the time:grumble: . Do you have any icy roads this morning? It got a little dicey yesterday mid morning while I was out…:sad:

Pat :smile: I just hate it when I make something and it turns out bad:grumble: . I just don`t like quinoa:noway: , I`ve tried it several different ways and I really think for me it`s a texture thing. Thanks for the link!!!

Tammy :smile: I`m tired of the cold too!!! This thread is a wonderful, isn`t it! I feel like I have tons of friends and get to visit them everyday:bigsmile: !!!

Cindy in NC :smile: Hello, nice to see your smiling face:bigsmile: !!!

Carol :smile: My hubby died 16 years ago, I`m still single, by choice. People ask me all the time if I`m dating and my answer is always “ I`ve not found a man I would date yet, I`m not opposed to the idea, but I`m very happy with my life just as it is.” I went through a horrible time many years ago, and I was angry at everything. I had a wonderful guy friend tell me I was shooting daggers out of my eyes at everyman that looked at me. The guy I dated after hubby died, just up one day and told me he was moving across the country, just like that and he was gone, I didn`t care enough about him to go with him, but it really did a number on my self esteem!!! I didn`t trust men at all, hubby died, boyfriend all of a sudden moved…what??? How could I ever trust a man again not to hurt me…took me a lot of years to get to where I am now! My guy friends will every once in a while get me to go out with one of their friends. I`ve made a few more friends that way! I like Cynthia’s response…LOL!!!

Jb :smile: Sweet little Timber wasn`t happy about having to give up his room:angry: …LOL. He growled at you:laugh: , he was really unhappy!! Noel doesn`t like her schedule messed up either!

Rita :smile: Ack…car repairs and family issues…hope things will be better soon:flowerforyou: !

Anamika :smile: Oh my, that pot luck sounds delicious:love: !!! Something very strange about an airplane disappearing into thin air…..:huh:

Margaret :smile: Water:drinker: and coffee:drinker: !!! Glad you got to spend some time with your mom:flowerforyou: !!!

Pennie :smile: When the posts get to 500, under the last post you will see “topic continued here” , click on that and it will take you to the rollover!

Jane Martin :smile: I bet those granddaughters look gorgeous:love: !!!

Heather :smile: I hope DH`s nephew will think about all he has and what he stands to lose! Hopefully they will work things out:flowerforyou: !

Robin :smile: How very nice to see you again:bigsmile: , and Bodi and Ritter too!!! Ouch, falling the deck stairs sounds very painful, hope you`re feeling better now:flowerforyou: ! Just pop in from time to time….I`ve missed your posts! I love hearing about your fur babies and grandgirls:love: !!!

Lucy :smile: Nice to see you again too:bigsmile: !!! So glad your daughter called you!!! Good for you letting her be responsible for her life, it can be really hard, we always want to take care of our “babies”!!!

Joyce :smile: Oh yes, that .1 counts:bigsmile: !!! I`m always grateful to see the scale move in the right direction no matter how small!!!

Meg :smile: So glad to hear that your brother is doing better and even getting to work a little!!! Glad the social worker was able to talk your dad out of his phone!!!

Alison :smile: Hormonal eating….:sad:

Renny :smile: How did you get rid of your allergies:huh: ? I would love to get rid of mine!!!

Torjanmom5 :smile: This is a great group of women!!! Sounds like you have good goals for the next 6 weeks!!!

Tartanlass58 :smile: When we say “Just marking my spot” , or “bump”, it usually means we`ve read up to that point, that way we find our last post and continue to read from there. “Bump” also stands for “bring up my post” you will be able to find the topic under “My Topics” once you post on it. Hope that helps!

Kim in N Cal. :smile: Some times I had my internet provider too:angry: ! Glad the walk helped! Levi looks so cute in his Shamrock headband:love: !!! Do you have any guy friends that you can hang out with, they might have a friend or two that knows somebody looking for somebody:bigsmile: !

Yanniejannie :smile: So sorry to hear about Gwen:cry: ! Hope you have hot water today!!!

Gloria :smile: Getting some exercise will make you feel some better:flowerforyou: !

Carol :smile: Glad you are feeling some better!!! Men, they do have a way with words:laugh: !!! Hope you find a way to get your son up, I have no words of advice on that. It was certainly a nasty day yesterday…yuck! Sounds like a good response to the nosy people!

Jb :smile: Gorgeous:love: !!!!! I will be glad when my tree is all decked out with flowers, I just have a few sprinkled throughout right now. Looks like spring has sprung in your area:flowerforyou: !

Katla :smile: Happy birthday to your granddaughter:flowerforyou: !

Sylvia :smile: Hope the appointment went well for your son! I like the word, “jerk repellant”:tongue: !!! Great joke:laugh: !

Beth :smile: Irish Soda Bread cookies…yummy!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today! It is just nasty here, icy and icky:sad: !!! I almost fell yesterday on a sidewalk in front of Starbucks, wasn`t slick at all when I went inside, was probably in there less than 5 minutes and when I came out it was awful, that`s how fast this nasty weather can turn! My back deck is white with ice cover…I hate winter:angry: !!!

Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in icy and gloomy NC:frown:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Marking my place. Kitchen chaos begins today. Prayers to all.

Cindy in OK. :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all,

Another cold, yucky, dreary day here... I AM glad it's not snow, but for those of us who have chosen to live in southern VA and NC, this just isn't normal! We used to live outside Chicago and I vividly remember the weeks on end of grey... Hated it! (but Wow! those Summers there are amazing!! :smile: ) Ok, enough whining.

Yanniejannie, so sorry to hear that Gwen is not improving. Dementia is so hard on friends and family... my MIL is 90 and just beginning to lose her mental sharpness. I miss the gal I love so much!

DeeDee... I love to read ALL your posts. You're such an inspiration! I am so thankful for my MFP Friends!

Cindy -- We had our kitchen gutted and remodeled. I LOVE it. I am so happy each time I go in to cook. My only regret is that I can't keep it looking pristinely new because I actually use it! I am constantly wiping down cupboards, etc., trying to retain that new look!

Today, I really will try and go to the gym, I really will try and go to the gym, I really will try and go to the gym. They say if you say something enough times it becomes reality!

Have a great day!
    Be healthy!

xoxo
    tammy in Va Beach
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morning.Going to be a nice day here.

Patty,the Ambien sounds like bad news,but that is just my opinion.

Yanniejannie ,the star magnolia tree is beautiful & reminds me of the Bradford pear. Think I have a pic of our tree,but how to put a pic on here?

Joyce ,you must be just a slip of your old self,good for you!:flowerforyou:

Cindy in OK .......Hope you will share pics of the new kitchen!

Alison,our new fridge had a right hand door that wouldn't open very far. The installer said "all of that model is like that" when I asked,Then why did they sell me that brand,he had no answer. :grumble:
    So it was returned & I had to start all over again Grrrr .Would love to see the concert you went to!

Gloria,the truth is you will feel like a motherless child to some degree,but life happens. No wonder you feel mad at the world.Be kind to yourself.:love:

Meg,good for you. That should make a big difference for your bro.
    " We fixed one of the big stressors in his life; dad calls him at all times of the day and night and completely fills his answering machine with ranting, raving, and profanities. I didn’t know about it and he certainly doesn’t do that with me. So we got the social worker to get dad to give up his phone, saving him $25 a month in exchange for timed phone calls with a roll-in phone the staff provides. That problem is solved! "

'Patceoh: how cool is it that hubby will be on an honor flight?' "..........Hub will love it. He 's never met a stranger & makes friends everywhere.

You tell them !!!!!!! Maybe " Is that any of your business'? Would work,but I can be mouthy if push comes to shove.
    "Carol: I haven’t had that push from people but I guess I would respond to those nosy and rude questions by asking “And why would you want to know that?”. I’m sorry you are having a bad time right now. Don’t beat yourself up over what you ate by hanging on to the “evidence”. You know you ate it. That will only make you feel worse to keep looking at it. You will learn how to deal with your anger in a more productive manner …so don’t worry about it too much So how is that for butting in with my opinion??? If you want to tell me to F*** off, I’ll still be your friend! "

JB,beautiful tree

YannieJannie,So very sorry to hear about your friend Gwen. She will need all the care & love you can offer.Too many good people
    End up the same as the years catch up. You are such a good friend to her,you know she loves you back,even tho she doesn't say it.

"Read everything but just don't have the energy to do comments. Spent major part of the day with Gwen............I had been very hopeful that once we got her meds corrected, she would improve mentally............I got really hit hard with the realization today that it truly looks like she's heading toward full blown dementia. I am beyond sad. "

Time to get dressed & take advantage of this beautiful,sunny day. Have several errands,to Kohls,grocery,Target etc.The list gets shorter as I run out of steam.
    Welcome to new posters.We don't bite,come back soon. Pat in Ohio
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    Good Morning.... I am Teresa and I live in ND. Winter is hanging on here.
    Getting back to MFP. Glad to see this thread.

Anyone have thoughts on post menopause weight loss. do you think it is harder to lose weight/easier to put on weight?
    Any tips or tricks.

Really been struggling but then sometimes I think.... I'm really not trying that hard.

Anyway, have a great day all!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning, happy Tues-good-news-day!

The good news is I'll be able to get back to my normal routine today, feel very well rested. Little Timber slept happily next to me, all through the night, but he did growl once when I turned over and touched him with my foot :huh:

Michele, the star magnolia drops all of its flowers in a fast hurry, they never last long enough! Then the leaves come, and there they stay until late November. I don't know if it's like a Bradford pear. DeeDee might. :wink:

Cooking a pot of beans this morning, and making my meal plan for the day, trying to keep the carb count down. That said, I wanted to share a funny thing :laugh: my niece posted on FB yesterday:

complex.jpg

Have a wonderful Tuesday! I'm off for yoga & strength work, dancing, and will be potting up some flower seedlings. Growing lots of stocks this year, I just love them, :love: so fragrant!

:smile: jb in Portland
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Good morning ! Happy Tuesday!!!
    Today will be a good day - I have decided and that's that! (here's hoping!)

Dee Dee - the only guy “friends” I have are the husbands of my girl friends, and my biggest challenge in finding guy friends is that the things I like to do are traditionally female things, which makes it hard to find friends.
    TeresaWash – welcome!
    JB – beautiful tree! And great funny on carbs!

I'll be putting my "nose to the grindstone" today as I need to make up for yesterday - sunny and going to be beautiful today.
    thinking of all of you....
    Kim in N. CAL
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Deedee:drinker:

Jb great cartoon and gorgeous tree!

Teresa exercise and portion size are what have helped me. I am 58 now and lost about 30 pounds about a year and a half ago. This is a great forum for giving and for getting support in your weight loss process. Feel your pain about winter. I am next door in Minnesota.

Yanniejannie So sorry about the dementia for Gwen. I know it is not always easy to remember it is the disease that causes the behaviors. Staying calm is what helps the most. Take care of you.

Cindy in OK hope kitchen remodel is going well.

Cynthia I love the bargains I find at Kohl’s too.

Still recovering from the long trip back from St. Louis. We drove straight through for nine hour with a couple short stops.

Goal:
    Taking care of me today, so I have a healthier tomorrow.
    Going to take a rest that may develop into a nap, because how tired I am.
    2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues.:drinker: :drinker:
    Jb-pretty tree.
    Had a nice st pats.DIL made a reuben pizza,was good.
    suppose to get to 50.hope so.
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's beautiful here this morning! I'm on my way to pick up the grandkids but had to take a minute to post today's joke. It made me laugh out loud:

:laugh:

A police officer sees a man driving around with a pickup truck full of penguins. He pulls the guy over and says, "You can't drive around with penguins in this town! Take them to the zoo immediately."

The guy says okay, and drives away. The next day, the officer sees the guy still driving around with the truck full of penguins -- and they're all wearing sunglasses. He pulls the guy over and demands, "I thought I told you to take these penguins to the zoo yesterday?"

The guy replies, "I did. Today I'm taking them to the beach!"

:glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:

Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • Ginryl
    Ginryl Posts: 35
    Options
    Afternoon MFP buddies. Catching up on some of the post. Read some yesterday & today read some more. Lots going on in everyone's lives.
    My neighbors canceled the planned supper last night (I may have posted this yesterday?) Anyway I was glad as I really didn't want to be tempted by Mexican Food.
    Really nice out today so plan on riding my bike a little, rode yesterday. I am trying to build up my strength to ride it down to my mom's house. She lives up hill from me about 3/4 of a miles away. Wish me luck.
    Gonna do that now so will post again later or tomorrow.
    Hope everyone is having a great day & coming in under cals.
    Pennie in 65 degree TX
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    UGHHH, major insomnia last night. First I thought it was that I was cold, that is frequently the problem, so I got up and put on long pants. Nope, didn't help. I played solitaire, read some more on my Nook, still not a sleepy bone in my body. I had already taken 2 Benadryl and hadn't worked. So I did another old trick that had worked in the past. I redid the covers and sleep at the end of the bed. Cat, Melody, did not like that at all. That is her spot and my head was in the exact place she sleeps. Well I thought maybe my feet are cold. So I put on the socky things Charlie got in the hospital. Didn't work so put on regular socks. I like to wrap my feet around my blanket and I was laying on it since I didn't want to untuck it when I got to the end of the bed. OK, take the wild lettuce leaf. I know it's 5 AM but I am desperate. So this time I get the cat off the bed again, fix my quilt so I am back at the top of the bed, redid all my pillows that I surround my body with. Get in bed, feet now want to wrap in the blanket and feel it so I take the socks off. Finally the last time I looked at the clock was 7 AM. On a good note that my fit bit showed an equivalent of 1250 steps during the night.

On a funny note, I really only wear make up on Sundays. But when I use my make up removal pads my chin, both sides, really itch. I can't see anything but it really itches. I have been putting cortisone cream on it. Well my C-Pap chin strap really bothers this itch. I loosened the strap, still bothered it. So I took it off and it wasn't tight in my nose. So my mind, still running on overtime by this time tried to think outside the box. I need an anesthetic on my chin. Do I have any Ambesol in my medicine cabinet???? Yes, I do. I could immediately tell that it worked but main problem was that now my completely sticky and the cat is very interested in how it tastes. I didn't want to get this sticky mess all over my pillows so I use another make up removal pad to get it off. Finally out of exhaustion I go to sleep but wake up about every 2 hours to go to the bathroom. Charlie opens the door at 1:15 and says how long do I want to sleep??? If I wanted to be talking I would have been awake talking to him. And waking me up woke my bladder up again. I guess I should have left him a note telling to just let me sleep and NOT bother me. I guess this means that I have to take an Ambien tonight so that I can get to sleep after not waking up until mid afternoon

Went grocery shopping last night and I got one of the Progresso light soups. I really like clam chowder and this had chicken in it. It was OK, it wasn't as thick and creamy as I like my clam chowder but it was OK. My sodium is a tad over 2000 mg for the whole day but I am having the grilled chicken salad tonight at Texas Roadhouse and I leave the bacon, cheese and croutons off so their entry of 763 mg of sodium is not what I am actually eating. Tomorrow is weigh in day and I hope my weight loss ticker will show another pound gone.

Talk to you guys later, Joyce, Indiana