WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wow, is it cold out today. This morning was -15 C with the windchill it was -23 C.

Did make it to aquafit yesterday & today. Got my hair done on Saturday ... no more grey :happy:

Been fighting with Comwave about my home phone and they finally agreed to cancel my contract with no penalty fees because they couldn't provide the service. To start they offered to cut my bill by 50% for a year. I said that's a great deal IF I had a home phone that worked. So now my ISP provider is coming to hook up our home phone tomorrow night. I've been without a home phone for over 2 weeks now.

I still don't know what's going on with my Mother's estate. I'll call my brother once the phone is hooked up again.

I'm heading to bed to crash and watch Amazing Race.

:heart: Sandy in freakin cold ON
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Viv, I feel your pain and I am so sorry!

To the person asking about Ambien, I have a prescription for it but haven't taken any in a good while. Even though I don't sleep well without it, I don't feel rested with it--if that makes any sense. I decided that if I wasn't going to feel rested, I might as well not have it in my system. I don't think I've ever "done" anything while taking it, but I do know that I've had to repeatedly tell my children to not ask/tell me ANYTHING after I've taken it because I will have absolutely no recollection of it the next day. I take a Xanax to help calm my mind and one Tylenol PM to help me sleep a little. My Fitbit measures me as sleeping maybe 5-6 hours on an extra good night--when I'm in bed for 8-9 hours.I've pretty much just given up on ever getting a good night's sleep again. Melatonin does nothing for me!

I had a pretty good day yesterday but the closer it comes to the end of the weekend, the more down I become. It seems as if life is nothing but work and worry. There never seems to be the time to do much of anything that I want to do or even need to do. I hope it's just the dreary weather talking, but I'm afraid it's not. I have no balance in my life right now and it's wearing on me. I'm going out of town to meet a friend this coming weekend and I truly hope it will help. My weekend at the beach was awesome, but it seems that the good it did me was all wiped out by this week. On the bright side, where would my mental state be if I hadn't had the beach trip?! :ohwell:

I suppose I'd better go get my last 400 or steps in for the day while I pack breakfast and lunch for tomorrow. Overnight oatmeal of some sort for breakfast, an egg sandwich with baby carrots for lunch, some grapes and a protein bar for snacks.

Have a good night!

Carol in cold and rainy NC
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I've been off this board for quite awhile. I got discouraged trying to keep up with the posts so backed off to take a breather - which lasted a lot longer than I meant it to.
    To make a long story short - I need all of you. I have discovered that I need the check in or I drift. I've been keeping up the diary but I think I've been drifting from my goals, I know I have and the scale proves it. I have crept up 6 pounds since Christmas so I am recommitting and here we go again.
    Thank you to all of you for being here and keeping up the posts. I read back until the beginning of March and my goodness, you are all very talkative!!! I will check in and keep reading and I hope I can become a part of the group again. There are so many of you now, and so many new ones (I feel like a newbie all over again - lol).
    Lila in the grey but not too cold Kootenays, SE British Columbia.
    Welcome back Lila. I am new to this group. I was intimidated too, but I just jump in and talk. They are a great group.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Anamika, thank you for sharing about Holi…..I read a little more about it on the internet and it sounds like a wonderful holiday and a wonderful way to welcome spring.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Lila, I read the posts every day but don’t push myself to reply as much as I used to…..reading about the lives of all of you helps me keep my own challenges and successes in perspective.

:flowerforyou: Carol, sending hugs to you:heart: …..try to stay in the moment so the future doesn’t invade what you’re doing right now.

:bigsmile: Today was a busy day with dog bathing and grooming and laundry and it seemed that I didn’t get much chance to sit except while riding the exercise bike and eating the lunch that Jake made during his break from grooming the dogs.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful rainy NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 26,000 steps today ---strength training----exercise bike
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Hello lovlies,

No time to read back quite yet but just wanted to let ya'll know we laid my mother to rest last Thursday:cry:
    The nurses, home care workers and visitors have all left. Tomorrow we attempt to start "the new normal".

Lots to catch you up on and I plan to through the week.

As of this morning I'm officially part of the "50 club". Ordering T25 tomorrow morning as part of a birthday gift. Will start getting back into my exercise routine tomorrow and will start T25 when it arrives. My eating has been sinful over the past few+ weeks. The "party" is over.

Looking forward to "coming home" See you all this week.

xoxo
    Gloria
    broken hearted in Metro Detroit
  • mamasun44
    Options
    I lose less than a lb this last week , It has been really stressful and I didn't get a lot of sleep . but stuck to my eating plan and worked all but one day . I feel better physically so I think with out the exercise I probably would have been a real emotional mess. So off to do nest week . Main goal SLEEP. :ohwell:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Gloria,so sorry about your mom.:sad: \
    Sending hugs:heart::heart:
    jane
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Gloria, I am so sorry about your mother. I lost mine last April and am still hurting. Just be glad she is at peace and take care of yourself and your son.

Eileen near San Diego
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    I did an hour of training games on the Wii today. Tomorrow the plan is to do some yoga, then hold my plank, and then take the extremepump class.

Made more of that apple zucchini. The other day I made it like the recipes calls for, as a bread. But today I made mini muffins. I'll send some to Jessica for her birthday and just tell her they're apple muffins. Tried the black bean brownies that I made yesterday. I think they're OK, but I know that Vince won't like them -- not choclatey enough.

kay - I think the black beas are what gives it a "different" flavor. But that also adds fiber, so it's really a tradeoff. Like I said, since I don't mind healthy food (as long as it doesn't have artificial stuff in it) I'll just eat them. Better than cookies, anyway.

Went to the KMart to see if the cat litter was on sale but it wasn't. I totally and completely forgot to take something back with me that I'd purchased the other day. Well, I may wind up going another day and if not, I know that Lowes carries this item so I'll just take it there and tell them I don't have my receipt. Then went to WalMart since that WM is the only one I can get the low fat brownie mix at, then took the material Jessica sent to the lady who is going to make her costume.

Drizzling here today, and not warm at all. But at least it isn't freezing. Vince says that it's supposed to get to freezing tonight but we shall see. I just look at it as "I'll believe it when I see it".

Tomorrow after the extremepump class I'll probably stop at the post office, mail a pkg to Jessica for her birthday and a card to Diana (her grandfather passed away a few weeks ago)

katla - glad to hear you made it safe and sound

Kim - I love miso soup, but I usually get the low sodium soup. See what happens, without even thinking about it you made good choices! Congrats on the NSV

DeeDee - do you have those weeping type of cherry trees?

renny - instead of "goodies" how about "baddies"?

Found a chlorine resistant bathing suit that I like at oneHanesPlace but don't really like the $60 price tag. Maybe it'll go on sale..... I hope so. I got one from them a few years ago and I absolutely LOVE it. That's the one that the suitspinner ate. So I'd leave that one in the condo and get a better one for up here. Who knows what the end of the season will bring? It's not like I absolutely need it right this minute

Cindy - our oven has the convection feature. I've only used it once. Probably because I'm not used to cooking in a convection oven, I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Patty - how scary not to remember things!

Sylvia - NC BBQ to me is "weird". I'm just not used to BBQ with vinegar. Jesica's friend sent us some ribs from Corky's in Nashville, evidentally they are pretty well know. Now that BBQ I didn't mind,

anamika - thanks for sharing about Holi with us. I'd never heard of it, but it sounds really interesting

Alison - so sorry the fridge didn't fit. What a pain!

I'm just feeeling so cold today. And I'm coughing. I'm sure it's because of the pollen. I'll take some Robitussen, but it also makes me very sleepy. Almost slept thru the alarm clock this morning.

Lila - welcome back. I was wondering where you'd been!

Gloria - sending big hugs your way

Hope everyone has a great night.

Michele in NC
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Gloria - I'm so very sorry for your loss. Be gentle with yourself. You & your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :cry:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    What a day. It snowed pretty much all day, but it melted as soon as it hit. I went to my clay club meeting in Joplin, then went shopping. I got a Barbie that comes with a horse and a set of Barbie dresses for my granddaughter's birthday. It's really sweet. I went to Kohl's and looked for some running shoes, but I hated all the horrible bright colors they come in. They didn't have a single pair of white running shoes. I also tried on some jeans but they didn't fit. They were a 16. I chickened out of going to Chico's. Not quite ready yet.

While I was shopping I got a horrible headache all of a sudden. When I got home took Tylenol and tried to lie down for a few minutes, but I had two dogs on the bed keeping me company. Later I realized I had forgotten to take any of my pills this morning. That had to have been the cause of the headache.

Meg, yes, I'm about 30 miles north of Miami, OK. Haven't been down there lately though. How is your brother-in-law doing?

Lila, welcome back! I guess I must have joined after you left. I find just posting to this thread every day helps me immensely. Even if nobody ever reads it, but they do, and the feedback is wonderful. I'm so addicted to this group that I feel tense if I don't check in regularly and see what everybody is up to.

Viv, I hope your mood improves soon.

Here is today's joke:

One day a man found an odd-looking lamp and rubbed it. From inside came a genie that told him he would get three wishes, but whatever he wishes for, his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets.

"What would you like for your first wish?" asked the genie.

"I want one billion dollars," replies the man.

"Remember," says the genie, "your mother-in-law gets double of what you get."

"I know," replied the man.

The man then chooses his second wish, "I wish I had a brand new sports car." So he gets his second wish and he's very content.

"Your mother-in-law gets double what you get, now what would you like for your third wish?" asks the genie.

The man ponders for a moment, then answers, "I wish to be beaten half to death."
    :laugh:

Goodnight everyone!

Sylvia
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Gloria so sorry to hear of your loss of your mother, take care of yourself

Juanita in sudbury
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Katla,this has been a long standing eating plan for me & as hub says, "what choice do I have" LOL. Basically he eats the same as I do,maybe a bit different when we eat out. It's been many,many yrs since I bought full fat dairy food,cooked with almost no fat,make my own salad dressing & gave up a few things I love.
    With that being said,a good cookie or real pizza is my line in the sand:noway: When it comes to food that is fatty or sweet,there is a limit in how much I can have,all connected to calorie deficit,but yes,I do enjoy sweets.They don't cause me to eat the whole box,it just tastes great & satisfies my taste buds. Portion control is a plan We can live with . Pat in Ohio

Quote"Several ladies here are abstainers and staying away from trigger foods works well to enable them to manage their weight. DH and I each have a long list of things that we can’t eat, so we have made another choice. We are moderators. For us, that means carefully measuring portions of the things we can have and staying within our calorie limits. He’s diabetic and I’m lactose intolerant. That has taken more than enough food choices away from our point of view. For us, managing our weight is all about portion control, counting calories and exercising. It has worked, we don’t feel deprived, we’ve learned a better lifestyle and we’re both healthier than when we started in addition to weighing less. Good luck to those of you who are learning how to manage your food and in the process of figuring out what works for you. "Quote
    Katla
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Gloria:smile: so very sorry to hear about your loss:sad: ! Will keep you and your family in my prayers!
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Gloria, so sorry for your loss, take care of yourself. :sad:
    Michele, thanks for the info on the oven, I bake a lot so I will figure it out I'm sure. I love yoga too, been doin it for years. :smile:
    Sylvia, thanks for the giggle to close the day, hubby laughed too! :laugh:

Hope everyone has a good night.

Cindy in OK :yawn:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just popped on before bed............cold, cold rain so far, maybe no sleet or snow this time, fingers crossed as we seem to be on the edge of it.. DD made it back to school safely; had bad weather the last 10 min. of drive.............she, however, is in the expected 5-8" of snow area. and close to the 8-12". If it moves just a bit, they'll get nailed............again............

Gloria..........Hoping you find calmness and peace and that you receive all the love and support you need; my condolences.

Lila.........I think I remember you from when I first started; welcome back!!!

yanniejannie
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My goodness -- I didn't read, just check to see and I last logged in when this was on page 2. Lots of reading to catch up on -- maybe! The Braves lost both of the spring training games we attended, but we still have had a load of fun with my DS & DBIL. Will try to catch up soon....

Gail, metro ATL
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Michele, be careful or you'll get run out of town, speaking ill of NC BBQ. When we visited hubby's sister in Winston-Salem she always wanted to take us to Pig Pickin's because she knew we liked barbecue. Well, hubby likes it fine cause he's a North Carolina boy, so it tastes like home. But I do not like the vinegar stuff they call sauce. I was not terribly sad to find that place is gone now. Still, it's not as bad as the mustard sauce in South Carolina. And we got some horrible BBQ in Virginia once. I used to like the sweet tomato based sauces, but have not had any BBQ sauce in a long time. Too much salt. I miss it.

Big day tomorrow with the grandkids! Night!

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We spent most of the day at the Children’s Museum in Denver with DD, DGD, and DSIL. It is quite a place and we all enjoyed ourselves, but I’ll admit to being tired by the time we were done. We planned to invite the kids to come and swim at the hotel pool this evening, so I went to Kohls and bought a swim suit this morning. I’m pleased with what I chose. It is a “tankini,” black, flattering and, more importantly, comfortable. The day went well and I am exhausted. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Katla in Colorado for a few more days
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Lila – welcome back!
    Sandy in ON – I can not even imagine -23 – and I hate to tell you this but in Sunny California I was in shorts and a tee shirt – it was 78 F today (25 c)
    Carol – hang in ! I am sad to hear everything is so tough here’s hopping for good news.
    Gloria – I am sorry to hear about your mom, may friends and memories sustain you. And be kind to yourself. What is T25?

Well gearing up for company again - but with a new cleaning gal it is so much easier! the house is spotless! YEAH!!! so while she cleaned I made new curtains for the guest room and a new valance for the kitchen - I love having a few different valances for the kitchen so I can change it up.

Happy St Patty's day tomorrow - it is Levi's 1 year adoption anniversary. I'll try to get a picture of him in his St. Patty's head band - he hates it.. but it is darn cute!

Worked on cleaning the garage this morning and am making some headway - just need to cull out stuff I am not using! it is so easy to fill the space there is. - I have cupboards along one wall and most stuff fits in there (I do park the car in the garage) but I know I have more "stuff" than I need or want.

hope everyone has a good week and drinks more water than beer tomorrow!

Kim in sunny N. CAL