WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kim, congratulations on not eating the snacks at the garden club. The first time I did that, it was hard, but it keeps getting easier and now most of my friends know that I don’t eat for entertainment.

:flowerforyou: Maggie, welcome….you have a lot of challenges but the right kind of fighting spirit……most of us started this journey feeling like there were so many obstacles, but one day at a time we’ve found a way to make progress. When I walk, I listen to music on an mp3 player with an earbud and then it doesn’t seem so boring.

:flowerforyou: Georgette, welcome……checking in with this group of fabulous women every day has helped me stay on track.

:flowerforyou: Viv, keeping track of your steps will be a great encouragement to walk more.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Cynthia, thank you for those awesome words and ideas to live by

:flowerforyou: Kerrin, welcome….finding the right weight is challenging. Last year I got down to a weight I thought was perfect, and three health care professionals told me I needed to gain weight. I check in with this thread every day to stay focused on healthy eating because I don’t want to get too heavy or lose track of healthy eating.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Sylvia, your pictures are amazing. How great to show yourself next to your old “before” pants.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, have fun at the birthday party

:flowerforyou: Sandy, just stay in the moment and don’t get discouraged…….read that wonderful post from Cynthia on page 5 and it will lift your spirits.

:flowerforyou: Jb, you share some of the most delightful things.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Today was another great line dance class. It was more tiring for me because we danced four dances to Irish music instead of to the regular music and it took a lot more concentration…….and there was a new student and I was concentrating on teaching each dance well enough for her to have some success. She stayed for the whole class. It looks like I’ll be teaching the whole class for at least two more weeks.

:flowerforyou: It rained in the morning, then sunshine, then wind. The dogs like it all so we did plenty of walking.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 22,000 steps today

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

March Resolutions (with middle of the month comments)
    *do weight training and yoga on alternate days (missed only one day)
    *add triceps pushups to weight training (yes)
    *act the way I want to feel (yes)
    *finish updating my will (finished, signed, and placed in the safe deposit box)
    My word for 2014 is “mindful”
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Katla...I had surprise visit from DD and toddler this morning and a really productive day. My friendsand ffamily mean so much to me.

I will be alright.

Finally, people at work are starting to see I lost weight. That sure took about 35 lbs! Hahaha.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia I am really glad you shared your story here. You have so much strength, I am proud to be your friend. I understand why YOU think you feel like fraud but I think I can safely say from the rest of us here that know you that you are not a fraud. You are a genuine, caring, sensitive,caring, strong woman. I often wonder if we had gained all the knowledge we have by the time we are past 50 where we could have gone with all of it earlier. But you have gained a lot of knowledge about yourself.

The sappy movie I watched was Hallmark movie, well I don't know if it was a Hallmark movie or just aired on Hallmark. It was called 'A ring by spring'. Happy ending as all of movies on Hallmark.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,357 Member
    Options
    Morning:wink: gals!

Had far too much to eat and drink yesterday and no exercise, but really enjoyed myself. I will cut back on the wine tonight. I slept ok, amazingly.

Got to do a lot of walking today, so that will be a help. But we are having a posh French meal out, so that won't! :laugh: I think we are going to try the sauna my friend's husband has built in the garden this evening. Looking forward to seeing Edinburgh again. Haven't been there since 1993. How the time flies!

Love all the photos, Sylvia and jb. Your story is amazing, Sylvia. I have wet my plants.

Got to get washed and dressed for breakfast.

I will be back later. Lots of love from overcast Glasgow.
    Heather.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Morning everybody; make it a good day if you can! :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,805 Member
    Options
    I am up, had tea and cereal,
    going to get dressed for work..
    we ended up going with the stainless steel whirlpool fridge,we shall see how things go,,, my dad is taking the old one, our friends and my brother are going to pick new one up and take old one out
    working until noon, then over to my FIL then home to feed and walk the boys, then off to the concert...
    busy busy today then grocery shopping tomorrow and exercise damn it,have been very bad:noway:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Sylvia:smile: Wow!!! What a wonderful accomplishment:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: !!! You look amazing! You are certainly not a fraud, you should be very proud of yourself, all the hard work you`ve done, congrats to you my friend!!!!

Jb:smile: Love it:laugh: !

Barbie:smile: You take such good care of your line dance students:heart: !!! I`m sure the new lady appreciated your help!!!

Katla:smile: Sounds like you`re having a good experience with the new car:happy: !!! Here`s to safe travels:drinker: (water of course:laugh: ) !!!

Sandy:smile: I`m glad the week is over too, it was just a bear of week for me too:frown: !!! Are you feeling better?

Heather:smile: Have a marvelous time with your friends:bigsmile: !!!

Alison:smile: Hope you like your new fridge!!!

Renny:smile: Family is just the best:love: !!!!

I`m sure I was going to say more, but again this morning I`m going by memory! I`m thinking of you all and wishing you the best:heart: !!!

I had a wonderful time yesterday morning with my 13 yr. old granddaughter, we shopped and laughed, sometimes laughing so hard I cried:laugh: ! We met up with my daughter for lunch and laughed some more, granddaughter had a great time telling mom about our shopping trip, and how silly I was:blushing: , mom remembers it well, I was silly with her too:love::laugh: ! It was just a fabulous day! I feel truly blessed, I have such a great family:love::heart: ! Today is their birthday and we`re having dinner out, and I still have to buy birthday cards:embarassed: !

Hope everyone has a marvelous Saturday:flowerforyou: ! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny and going to be fairly warm NC:glasses:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I went over on my dinner calories last night, but that isn't too awful. What is awful is that my fingers are swollen enough that my rings are noticeably tighter. That means the food was extremely salty. Sure enough, DH's blood pressure is up today.

By this afternoon we should be settled in the Colorado town where DD and her family live. We have one more long day on the road to get there. The fly v drive debate has been settled from DH's pov but I wonder about the actual economics of it. I might work up enough interest to do a side by side comparison. In truth, If we drive we have little problems with the elevation change by the time we get there. If we fly we suffer from altitude headaches for at least three or four days.

Have a great day!
    Katla
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just read everyone's posts. You are an amazing group of women!

Sylvia, AWESOME simply AWESOME. Not a fraud, totally real. So proud of and happy for you.

I was able to spend yesterday with my sweet daughter and her fiance planning their wedding in Charlottesville, VA. It was a lovely day and we are making progress toward the finale... which isn't until November 22nd. I have plenty of time to continue to get "healthy" i.e., "look good in a dress" before then!!:laugh:

So today the sun has decided to give us a day, the temps are warmer!! yay! and there's not a gale wind, so I can't wait to get out, walk the dog, work in the garden, and..... go to the gym!!! Woohoo

Have a great day everyone!!

Be healthy, be happy!
    xoxo
    tammy
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday Morning Ladies :flowerforyou:

Things are quiet here for a few more hours...my GS (7) arrives around 1pm...things will be more lively then..he is here till my DD and family and DH goes to watch the hockey game at 5 tonight....I am more of a reader so I will set down and relax and do some reading till bedtime...I usually do not stay up past 8 or 8:30...my body is exhausted by that time...I try to read in bed but I usually fall asleep every time I go.:yawn: :yawn: ..but I keep on trying...my Fibro and Osteoarthritis...has been horrible this winter and is still paining furiously ......
    My *fainty spells* are really annoying when I reach down to empty a garbage can and land on the floor instead...it feels really funny for awhile....like my body cannot hold me up...and my head is all floaty like when you are going into a faint....my doctor tells me it is because my blood pressure keeps dropping down into the 80's....she had me do an EKG...to see if it is my heart...then we may try wearing a blood pressure cuff for a day or so......when I have a bad *fainty* day I try to eat a bit more salt....at this age... *57*...I can expect my body to become all stubborn and change.... in not so good ways....:noway: :grumble:

Sylvia=== You are a fantastic mom and person for being so wonderful with your son...Thank God he has you with him every step of the way...also... you look fantastic....YaY for you for losing all that weight :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Feel proud..you earned it!!!

Dee== Sounds like you had a great day with your GD :happy:

Kerrin & Lorraine== Welcome to the group ladies!!!

Michele== A **Magic Bag** is a flannelette cloth with Oats...you put them into your microwave to warm up..about 3 min....they feel heavenly on the place where you hurt :smooched: :heart:

I will go get my laundry done then rest a bit till our GS comes.....everybody have a great weekend.....hope the weather is kind to you.....:flowerforyou:

Take Care;
    Liz fr Halifax NS { Canada}
    358217ly8rqzabr3.gif
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies! Got a late start on my day so will make this quick. I found a web site with a lot of healthy information, from recipes to DIY cleaning. It is Greatist.com. Gotta go work out and get moving. Prayers to all. Have a wonderful day! :heart: :flowerforyou: :smile: :drinker:

Cindy in OK
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone: Went to see the Ten Tenors from Australia last night. They sang Broadway numbers. I knew them all except "Defying Gravity from Wicked" I need to see that musical but it has not been anywhere near me. They also did a medley from the "Jersey Boys". That sounds like a fun musical too.

Sylvia - love the pics. You rock woman and are no fraud!!!!

Carol - Hope they find a diagnosis soon for your son. It is so frustrating to not know.

Barbie - Love the graph. I think that is exactly how my weight loss goes.

Cynthia - Thanks for the inspirational post. Very timely for me with retirement coming up and the sarcoidosis diagnosis. I could get bogged down in the "this is not what I had planned" instead of enjoying what I have.

Well ladies I am going to put on my jeans, boots and sweat shirt and go to the SD Horse Fair. I may even buy a little bling to put on my horse's bridle or a new waterproof blanket for her. At the least I will get in some extra steps today.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to all with victories. Sue in SD
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Everyone!

Deedee:drinker:

jb Yes past time to wet the plants!:laugh:

Will have more time next week to catch up.

Have a delightful weekend everyone!

Goal:
    To do something healthy today, so I have a healthier tomorrow!
    Eat a salad for lunch with a olive oil and vinegar dressing
    2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here's today's joke. Not too funny, but the last couple of days were pretty awful, so this is a little better:

A guy took his girl friend to her first Longhorn football game. They had great seats right behind their team's bench. After the game, he asked her how she liked the experience. "Oh, I really liked it," she replied,

"Especially the tight pants and all the big muscles, but I just couldn't understand why they were killing each other over 25 cents."

Dumbfounded, her date asked, "What do you mean?"

"Well, I saw them flip a coin and one team got it and then for the rest of the game, all they kept screaming was: get the quarterback. Get the quarterback! It’s only 25 cents!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Alison, you are NOT bad; you are a good person! :heart: :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Alison, you are NOT bad; you are a good person! :heart: :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia

. listen to Cynthia.

Had a great sleep last night. Today is bookkeeping and laundry day. Tomorrow...not sure yet, and Monday going to DD to help sort through clothes. Toddler GS has started sleeping in his big boy bed. Now toilet training is high time. Getting ready for his little brother to arrive in June.

Renny
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone - I need to check in here more often to keep up with everyone.

The sun is NOT shining and it trying to snow. I went out and put the rest of the firewood in the woodshed so got my strength training in. So many things to do this weekend!! Company year end is 31st....so need to be ready for the accountant. Good thing hubby isn't home for a couple of days - sometimes they are so demanding :bigsmile:

So... in order to get my exercise in I will walk on the spot and use my exercise bands while I watch the first 5 ends of the Women's World curling games - starts in 1/2 an hour!! For the last half of the game I will sort papers so I am ready to dive into my Taxes.
    During commercials I will get the laundry done.... There are only 2 games today and 3 tomorrow.

And that should pretty much take care of the weekend. Monday will be another day.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sunny and warm here! Made it to yoga, well, almost all of it. Then breakfast with friends after we did a walk
    brought half home, yay, me. DH tells me the water heater is leaking----what next? It's always something, isn't it? DD is still asleep...........no idea how late she worked last night.........Spring break??? All she's done is work on thesis and read for classes. Personally, I can't wait for her graduation!!!!! Called Gwen, she sounds well today and dr. called to let me know her last labs were better once again..........so, we may yet be able to schedule that cataract surg.................YAY!!! That will make her so happy, if it can be done.

Vicki.............Hope you got those new shirts and enjoyed the Spring rally........best of luck to your son in his trucking classes.

Sandy.............May things improve for both you and your DD soon.

Michele.............Don't you ever slow down?????? Good grief, you are a whirlwind!!!

jb.........LOVE the sign!!

Katla............Hope the last leg of your trip goes smoothly.

Dee Dee.........Drove in the park on my way home today..........buds on our cherry trees are swollen but none open yet, darn!

Liz..........Have fun with your DGS. Sorry you are in so much pain.

Sylvia..............Great joke again!

Bye, need to get out and enjoy this day!!!
    yanniejannie
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Only have a minute..weigh in today and I lost .8, I'll take it cause I didn't make it to the gym at all this week. Off to get my hair done, time to get rid of the grey again :laugh:

Enjoy your Saturday

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I’m back! I seems like last week just blew by. I’m not good with the time change because I like it to be daylight when I get up. Got to play golf three days and guess that’s why I didn’t get much else done. I’ve been reading and trying to keep up. You girls are awesome. Thanks for all the encouragement you give to all of us.

Barbie – love the graphic. That’s my story!
    Sylvia – Great picture. You are to be commended for your journey. I think you should post the picture on the Success Stories now. It’s an inspiration to us and will be to many more who see it.
    Cynthia – thanks for the inspirational posts. I’ve copied them to a word doc and will print as soon as I change the cartridge in my printer,
    Joyce – I record those Hallmark movies too! Makes me mad that sometimes the music is so loud you can’t hear all the words. I saw that movie last week.
    Jb – the landscape sign is so funny. Got a giggle from me. When I got together with my college roommates a few weeks ago we were reminiscing about a trip we took when one girl said, “Wait, I laughed so hard I have tears running down my legs” Of course that got the rest of us laughing too.
    Lorraine in Toronto – welcome to the best thread on MFP. Come back and chat often.
    Katia – we had a new car when we went to FL and had a good time pushing buttons to see what would happen. It was a good way to get acquainted with the ins and outs of a new car. Our daughters live in the Denver area and we also get the headaches when we fly there. We’re going in May for DGD’s high school graduation and plan to drive.
    Liz – we have a bag with rice that we heat up in the microwave to put on muscles that hurt. Same principle I guess.
    Sandy – great loss. Every ounce lost is a step in the right direction. Good for you.

Sue in TX