WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies; have a good day! :flowerforyou:

Heather: have a safe trip!
    Alison: you really had a day yesterday; hope the concert will give you some extra energy. Keep taking care of yourself!
    Carol: you too!
    Wizzywig: I was up almost two pounds yesterday. It wasn't really possible that it was REAL weight gain, but it was still hard not to freak out. Today they were gone and they took almost half a pound with them (sigh of relief).

Cynthia
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Found this on another topic; fun to compare your weight loss with this!

QUOTE:
    1 pound = a Guinea Pig
    1.5 pounds = a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts
    2 pounds = a rack of baby back ribs
    3 pounds = an average human brain
    4 pounds = an ostrich egg
    5 pounds = a Chihuahua
    6 pounds = a human skin
    7.5 pounds = an average newborn
    8 pounds = a human head
    10 pounds= chemical additives an American consumes each year
    11 pounds = an average housecat
    12 pounds = a Bald Eagle
    15 pounds = 10 dozen large eggs
    16 pounds = a sperm whale's brain
    20 pounds = an automobile tire
    23 pounds = amount of pizza an average American eats in a year
    24 pounds = a 3-gallon tub of super-premium ice cream
    25 pounds = an average 2 year old
    30 pounds = amount of cheese an average American eats in a year
    33 pounds = a cinder block
    36 pounds = a mid-size microwave
    40 pounds = a 5-gallon bottle of water or an average human leg
    44 pounds = an elephants heart
    50 pounds = a small bale of hay
    55 pounds = a 5000 BTU air conditioner
    60 pounds = an elephants penis
    66 pounds = fats and oils an average American eats in a year
    70 pounds = an Irish Setter
    77 pounds = a gold brick
    80 pounds = the Worlds Largest Ball of Tape
    90 pounds = a newborn calf
    100 pounds = a 2 month old horse
    111 pounds = red meat an average American eats in a year
    117 pounds = an average fashion model (and shes 5'11")
    118 pounds = the complete Encyclopedia Britannica
    120 pounds = amount of trash you throw away in a month
    130 pounds = a newborn giraffe
    138 pounds = potatoes an average American eats in a year
    140 pounds = refined sugar an average American eats in a year
    144 pounds = an average adult woman (and shes 5'4½")
    150 pounds = the complete Oxford English Dictionary
    187 pounds = an average adult man
    200 pounds = 2 Bloodhounds
    235 pounds = Arnold Schwarzenegger
    300 pounds = an average football lineman
    400 pounds = a Welsh pony
  • TashaHem
    TashaHem Posts: 10
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

After a year of blah, I am back! Trying to lose about 20 lbs. This time I consulted with an endocrinologist, and he recommended a number of supplements, including iron, D3 (very low), hydrocortisone (very small amount), estrogen and progesterone. I'm excited to start again because I should have more energy to do the workouts as well as just being more active! I was really exhausted all the time. And he promises me I will actually sleep through the night... no 3:00AM wake-ups! Ah, it is so fun to be 55... Anyway, I'd be happy to hear from anyone else with the same issues (I found it depressing to hear from 20-year-olds who could drop 3 lbs just like that). Cheers all! Have a great weekend!
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Found this in another topic as well:

8 THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN EVERYTHING GOES WRONG

There is always, always, always something to be thankful for. And that no matter how good or bad you have it, you must wake up each day thankful for every moments that you still alive to enjoy the pleasures and opportunities which life offers because someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for their life.

Truth be told, happiness is not the absence of problems, but the ability to deal with them. Imagine all the wondrous things your mind might embrace if it weren’t wrapped so tightly around your struggles. Always look at what you have, instead of what you have lost.. Because it’s not what the world takes away from you that counts; it’s what you do with what you have left.

Here are a few reminders to help motivate you when you need it most:

1. PAIN IS PART OF GROWING.

Sometimes life closes doors because it’s time to move forward. And that’s a good thing because we often won’t move unless circumstances force us to. When times are tough, remind yourself that no pain comes without a purpose. Move on from what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you. Just because you’re struggling doesn’t mean you’re failing. Every great success requires some type of worthy struggle to get there. Good things take time. Stay patient and stay positive. Everything is going to come together; maybe not immediately, but eventually.

Remember that there are two kinds of pain: pain that hurts and pain that changes you. When you roll with life, instead of resisting it, both kinds help you grow and make you stronger version of yourselves..

2. EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS TEMPORARY.

Every time it rains, it stops raining. Every time you get hurt, you heal. After darkness there is always light – you are reminded of this every morning, but still you often forget, and instead choose to believe that the night will last forever. It won’t. Nothing lasts forever. There is always light at the end of the dark tunnel.

So if things are good right now, enjoy it. It won’t last forever. If things are bad, don’t worry because it won’t last forever either. Just because life isn’t easy at the moment, doesn’t mean you can’t laugh. Just because something is bothering you, doesn’t mean you can’t smile. Every moment gives you a new beginning and a new ending. You get a second chance, every second. You just have to take it and make the best of it.

3. WORRYING AND COMPLAINING CHANGES NOTHING.

Those who complain the most, accomplish the least. It’s always better to attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed. It’s not over if you’ve lost; it’s over when you do nothing but complain about it.

If you believe in something, keep trying. Don’t let the shadows of the past darken the doorstep of your future. Spending today complaining about yesterday won’t make tomorrow any brighter. Take action instead. Let what you’ve learned improve how you live. Make a change and never look back.

And regardless of what happens in the long run, remember that true happiness begins to arrive only when you stop complaining about your problems and you start being grateful for all the problems you don’t have.

4. YOUR SCARS ARE SYMBOLS OF YOUR STRENGTH.

Don’t ever be ashamed of the scars life has left you with. A scar means the hurt is over and the wound is closed. It means you conquered the pain, learned a lesson, grew stronger, and moved forward. A scar is the tattoo of a triumph to be proud of. Don’t allow your scars to hold you hostage. Don’t allow them to make you live your life in fear. You can’t make the scars in your life disappear, but you can change the way you see them. You can start seeing your scars as a sign of strength and not pain.

Rumi once said, “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.” Nothing could be closer to the truth. Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most powerful characters in this great world are seared with scars. See your scars as a sign of “YES! I MADE IT! I survived and I have my scars to prove it! And now I have a chance to grow even stronger.”

5. EVERY LITTLE STRUGGLE IS A STEP FORWARD.

In life, patience is not about waiting; it’s the ability to keep a good attitude while working hard on your dreams, knowing that the work is worth it. So if you’re going to try, put in the time and go all the way. Otherwise, there’s no point in starting. This could mean losing stability and comfort for a while, and maybe even your mind on occasion. It could mean not eating what, or sleeping where, you’re used to, for weeks on end. It could mean stretching your comfort zone so thin it gives you a nonstop case of the chills. It could mean sacrificing relationships and all that’s familiar. It could mean accepting ridicule from your peers. It could mean lots of time alone in solitude.

Solitude, though, is the gift that makes great things possible. It gives you the space you need. Everything else is a test of your determination, of how much you really want it.
    And if you want it, you’ll do it, despite failure and rejection and the odds. And every step will feel better than anything else you can imagine. You will realize that the struggle is not found on the path, it is the path. And it’s worth it. So if you’re going to try, go all the way. There’s no better feeling in the world… there’s no better feeling than knowing what it means to be ALIVE.

6. OTHER PEOPLE’S NEGATIVITY IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

Be positive when negativity surrounds you. Smile when others try to bring or drag you down. It’s an easy way to maintain your enthusiasm and focus. When other people treat you poorly, keep being you..and stay calm.

Don’t ever let someone else’s bitterness (for example bad attitudes, hurtful words..etc) change the person you are.. Rarely do people do things because of you. They do things because of them.

Above all, don’t ever change just to impress someone who says you’re not good enough. Change because it makes you a better person and leads you to a brighter future. People are going to talk regardless of what you do or how well you do it. So worry about yourself before you worry about what others think. If you believe strongly in something, don’t be afraid to fight it. Great strength comes from overcoming what others think is impossible.

All jokes aside, your life only comes around once. This is IT. So do what makes you happy and be with whoever makes you smile and laugh often to brighten your days.

7. WHAT’S MEANT TO BE WILL EVENTUALLY, BE.

True strength comes when you have so much to cry and complain about, but you prefer to smile and appreciate your life instead. There are blessings hidden in every struggle you face, but you have to be willing to open your heart and mind to see them. You can’t force things to happen. You can only drive yourself crazy trying. At some point you have to let it go and let what’s meant to be, BE.

In the end, loving your life is about trusting your intuition, taking chances, losing and finding happiness, cherishing the memories, and learning through experience. It’s a long-term journey. You have to stop worrying, wondering, and doubting every steps you have chosen to walk.. Laugh at the confusion, live consciously in the moment, and enjoy your life as it unfolds. You might not end up exactly where you intended to go, but you will eventually arrive precisely where you need to be..

8. THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS TO KEEP GOING.

Don’t be afraid to get back up – to try again, to love again, to live again, and to dream again. Don’t let a hard lesson harden your heart. Life’s best lessons are often learned at the worst times and from the worst mistakes.

There will be times when it seems like everything that could possibly go wrong is going wrong. And you might feel like you will be stuck in this rut forever, but you won’t. When you feel like quitting, remember that sometimes things have to go very wrong before they can be right. Sometimes you have to go through the worst, to arrive at your best.

Yes, life is tough, but you are tougher. Find the strength to laugh every day. Find the courage to feel different, yet beautiful. Find it in your heart to make others smile too. Don’t stress over things you can’t change. Live simply. Love generously. Speak truthfully. Work diligently. And even if you fall short, keep going. Keep growing.

Awake every morning and do your best to follow this daily TO-DO list:

Think positively.
    Eat healthy.
    Exercise today.
    Worry less.
    Work hard.
    Laugh often.
    Sleep well.
    Repeat…

THE LIFE IS YOURS…

What helps you stay motivated when you’re struggling? What’s something positive you try to keep in mind when everything seems to be going wrong?
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Kim - can you bring something?

Sandy - so glad your son got that prescription. How hard this must be for you!

kayzoola - you must have those lockjaw clips to keep the weights on. Our Y, and please don't ask me to explain this, got the bars and weights, but got those spring clips. What a pain! So I bought myself a set of the lockjaw ones. Whenever I need them, I really am glad that I have them. I don't have a weight bar set at home (just dumbbells) but they have a set at the Florida Y and I use them all the time. When you say "four weights", do you mean two on each side of the bar or four on each side?". I'm thinking that you probably mean two on each side.

Meg - ouch!!! You broke a nail that close to the cuticle? How horrible! I used to buy these flax and soy chips from TJ's. Boy, were they good! Fortunately, we don't have a TJ's near us (which means I don't spend all that money, sad, tho that I can't get the great things that they have). Good for you getting that Tuna Helper at a lower price today. I need to go to WalMart later today (Vince needs milk) and Walgreens has it on sale, so you know that'll take my ad in. One of the other nice things is that if a store advertises something but they don't carry the flavor that you want but WalMart does, you can get that flavor at the lower price. Hungry Man dinners are on sale at Bi-Lo for B1G1. I like to have a few in the freezer for Vince, so I'll take my ad in.

texasgal - How long will you be gone for?

jb - have no idea where Sylvia's pics are. I'd love to see them, too. Well, it'll happen. When I had trouble posting, I just kept trying and eventually they posted. So keep it up!

kim - wow, no snacks. How'd you do it?

maggie - great loss! So sorry about the blood clots. Awesome walking and now you're adding weights! Congrats on quitting smoking!!!

Joyce - congrats on getting that check.

Georgette - stop in here often and you'll get more support than you ever dreamed possible

Viv - I know what you mean about losing and then gaining. I lost but today I gained. I think that from last week to this week it's a loss. You know something? I ate my calories pretty close to the 1251 and this morning my stomach feels crampy. Guess I shouldn't have had the Greek yogurt.

Heather - safe travels

Alison - have fun at Foxwoods

TashaHem - welcome. I was up at 4 this morning, not sure why, so I just watched some TV but fell asleep in the living room.

Cynthis - thanks for the great post.

Michele in NC
    who is going to check for the paper then start her running around for the day. The Humane Society to drop off coupons and my aluminum, the Y for deep water class, see the lady about Jessica's costume, to WalMart, to the other branch of the Y to give this one guy a birthday bread. Then home to collapse...lol
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Cynthia ... Wow! Loved your two posts! Let me just wipe the coffee off my screen that I just spewed after reading what 60 pounds lost is equivalent to! :laugh:

I'm going to copy the "8 things to remember."

Carol ... why the ER? Praying today will be a better day.

I really need to keep a notebook nearby ... more I wanted to comment on.
    Have a great day, ladies!

Beth in WNY
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Cynthia:smile: Thanks for the posts:bigsmile: !!!!

Alison:smile: Hope you have a fantastic time at the concert!!!

Sylvia:smile: Where are the pics:huh: ???Would love to see them!!!

Carol:smile: Oh my, sending you a hug!!! I sure hope today will be a better day for you:flowerforyou: !

Eileen:smile: Would love to see pics of your grandson:love: !!!

Heather:smile: Hope you have a safe and fun trip!!! Glad your knee is cooperating today!!!

Barbie:smile: I love the graph!!! So very true!!!

It has been one of those weeks where you wonder where the time went:grumble: ! I have been so busy and so exhausted:yawn: , I napped from 3:30 to 5:30 yesterday, would have slept even longer had the phone not kept ringing:angry: ! My oldest granddaughter is on spring break this week, I`m picking her up this morning and taking her birthday shopping, her birthday and her moms (my daughter) birthday is tomorrow. I haven`t even had time to buy birthday cards:sad: ! We`re meeting my daughter for lunch today and then I`ll take her shopping for her birthday present...sounds like a busy day again. I was planning on cooking dinner tomorrow night for their birthday, however I decided I just don`t have the energy to do it and I made reservations at one of their favorite restaurants:tongue: !

Have a wonderful Friday!!! I`m so glad it`s Friday:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: !!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny NC
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Cynthia ... Wow! Loved your two posts! Let me just wipe the coffee off my screen that I just spewed after reading what 60 pounds lost is equivalent to! :laugh:

Beth in WNY
    I'll let y'all know when I get there. :bigsmile:
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I am new to this forum. Looks like you have some great camaraderie here! I am 52, soon to be 53, and have been on MFP sine Feb of 2011. I lost 42 pounds and kept it off for 2 1/2 years, then began packing on the pounds again. My ticker now stands at 28 lost. I have upped my goal weight a bit as those around me thought I got too thin there for a while. So I now have 8 pounds to go to get back to my goal weight. I struggle every single, solitary day with food. I feel like I just LOOK at food and gain weight, lol. Actually I don't think that is too far from the truth. I have a nasty habit of binge-ing every 4-6 weeks which I am really trying to get under control. I don't have any problem with exercise. I have been working out a minimum of once a day, six days a week for the past 3 years. I find that if I don't exercise, I am miserable. Well that's a bit about me, maybe even TMI.

I am looking forward to meeting you all through your posts and being supportive where I can. Best wishes to you all as you continue on your journey to health and fitness.

Kerrin
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm trying again.
    [img]http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd389/sshirleyks/Mobile Uploads/image.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd389/sshirleyks/Mobile Uploads/image-1.jpg[/img]

Sylvia

Darn! I'm standing on my head again. Don't know why. Do the pictures show upside down on your devices? Maybe it's just my ipad.
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Sylvia: woweee! Do you have one where you're standing in one leg of those pants?
    Proud of you!
    Cynthia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    sylvia~ whoooo hoooo awesome girlfriend~ you go girl.....:bigsmile: :heart: :drinker:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Cynthia, no I can't quite fit in one leg yet. When I pulled those jeans out of their hiding place in the closet I couldn't believe those ever fit me, but they did! In fact they were a little tight. I have trouble mentally, recognizing that I have actually lost that much weight, but those jeans finally proved it to me. I had not looked at them for months.

I had to model my new yoga pants for hubby and ask him if they were too revealing, but he said no, they look fine. So I guess I don't need a long shirt to cover them up. Now I want another pair.

Hubby's sleep study went well. They tried various masks on him and the one he thought worked the best was one that covered just his nose. So we have to wait for the official results of the test. He said the Ambien helped, but he doesn't want to do it often.

Meg, A1at is a genetic disorder that destroys the lungs and liver. Apparently my ex husband and I were both carriers and didn't know it. My poor son got stuck with the full blown disease. He's been treated for emphysema for a while but was going downhill so fast that they finally thought of testing for it. It's supposedly "rare" but there seem to be a lot of people who have it. It's not curable, but they can do some kind of weekly infusion treatments that slow down the progression. He needs to have a double lung transplant, but is too scared to do that. He's having a lot of trouble coming to terms with it right now, which is common, from what I've read about it.

Today I'm going to shuttle the kids again, then this evening they are going back to their mother's for the weekend, so that will give him a little more time to rest. I think he will be able to deal with things better if he gets some rest. I'm going to try helping his wife with moving more of his stuff from the old house this weekend. Hubby said he will help, too. Hubby is afraid I'm taking on too much, with my heart trouble and all, but honestly, I feel stronger the more I do. And I really need to be helping.

So I'd better get around and get dressed. I hope you all have a great Friday!

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I love the weight loss graphic. So true! Thanks for posting it.

Sylvia: WOW! You are a champion.

We traveled 400 miles yesterday and averaged 29.17 mpg in our new SUV. We're quite pleased to say the least. We're about a third of the way to DD's house and will be leaving soon for another day of driving.

Be happy.

Katla
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Hope you all have a wonderful day. I see signs of spring coming. I am down another pound but official weigh in is on Monday. Next week our kitchen remodel begins, will be using the grill and microwave. Hopefully it will be finished by Friday.

Carol, praying for you, hang in there.
    Georgette, welcome. Friends are found here!
    Heather, safe travels.
    Cynthia, thanks for the great posts!
    TashaHem, welcome back!
    DeeDee, happy Friday to you too!
    Kerrie, welcome.
    Sylvia, so proud for you! A great accomplishment. You are a true champ!

Have a terrific day!

Cindy in OK. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :smile: hello ladies , very dull dreary day here but no new snow so far, been very busy all week had appts, for everything it seemed
    One important one was to get dh fitted for hearing aids, dont know if it will be a good or bad improvement but hope I wont have to repeat everything somedays I feel like a parrot!
    :heart: carol prayers for you
    Heather and Katla travel safe enjoy your trip

Sylvia Wow:drinker: :flowerforyou: congradulations, you are an inspiration and proof it can be done thanks for sharing

Barbie thanks for the graphic it hits home with me

Best wishes to all and enjoy your weekend

Alison I envey you going to see Trish yearwood enjoy

Juanita in sudbury
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all,

Deedee:drinker:

Welcome newcomers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbie love the graph, so true.

Cynthia comparison was interesting to me. A year supply of cheese. Just when I am cutting way back on cheese.:laugh:

May everything go right today for everyone!

Goal to do something healthy for myself today, so I will have a healthier tomorrow.
    A walk outside sounds lovely to me today!

2013 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - thanks for the great posts. Timely too. I am printing off the "8 things"

Barbie - thanks for the graphs. We are less linear than we think.

Sylvia!!! - omg, look at you. You look amazing. Such an inspiration.

Today I intent on having a fun day, although the feeling ain't there yet.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Maggie – wow you have made some amazing changes! Good work… keep it up

Carol – I am so sorry to hear all that is going on, I can’t imagine how stressful it must be take care and know we are here cheering you on.. One day “shot all to hell” is not anything that bad, today is another day.

Georgette – this is the group! I have only been here a month and already feel the support!

Heather – have fun!

Alison – what a whirlwind! Take care of yourself!

Cynthia – great list! I hit 8 lbs today so I’ve lost my head –giggle

Barbie – graph is a great reminder!

Kerrin – welcome

Sylvia – you are not standing on your head :smile: and that is amazing! You look great. And you are a great mom, the advice and support you are giving your son makes me jealous I wish my mom could be ¼ as caring as you are. I know you need to help you family, but asking for and accepting extra help is good too!:happy:

My embroidery work room is crazy today - a big part of my business is letterman jackets and they are EVERYWHERE! I embroidered like a crazy woman yesterday so today is sewing on patches and billing --- and taxes!

Friday is my weigh in day and today is also my 1 month anniversary, I have lost 7.5 lbs (the ticker rounds up to 8) - 2lbs this week. And I really thought I would be lucky if I lost this much by the end of April - I would not have come this far without you all and the logging. Knowing that I need to be accountable to myself and to folks who are cheering me on not cutting me down has made all the difference. I am looking forward to taking on month 2. Thanks! And I am so glad I am doing this now that I am over 50 - as this is the most supportive thread on MFP and I could not have done it with out the support.

Kim in N. CAl (76 degrees yesterday and suppose to be the same today)