WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good sunny Saturday afternoon! I wish it were a little warmer but it still is the middle of March so what can I expect. I need to get my shower done and go to the mall. C J Banks is my favorite place for my clothes and they have a 40% regular price everything in the store. I only have one pair of dress pants and no spring type of blouses so I need to shop! I am now in the smallest size there so I will miss the sales ladies when I 'graduate' to Christopher Banks next door. I have ventured in that store and I'm not so sure about the styles yet.

My sleep patterns are off right now also. I need to get back in my old mojo so I can easily get back to the Y. I think my back is finally OK to go.

Joyce, indiana
  • maw001
    maw001 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend everyone!

Michelle,Kim, Katla, Cindy: :happy: Thanks for the post cancer support! Thankfully I did not have to have chemo. I may not
    have to have the high dose radiation cuz I burned so badly with the low dose. I was off for six wks after surgery but
    had to return to work so I worked thru the rad tx. I'd go first thing in the am, would take my Zofran, immodium and
    Ativan on the way there, then head to work afterwards. The radiation was to my pelvis, I felt like I was radioactive for a
    time afterwards!! They would tease me at work because 3 computers in my office had power supplies burn up and
    clinical engineering said it was bcuz I was radioactive, :laugh:
    It will be one yr in June since my surgery. I still go every 3 mos to the oncologist and even tho they say I am ca free, I
    feel a little like I have PTSD. I think it will pass the further I go. And if I don't have a recurrence in 18 yrs, then I say
    Alleluia!!! :drinker:

Alison: Have a jenn air stainless fridge for 10 yrs that has held up well. I clean it about once a wk. However my stainless cooktop
    not holding up so well, scratching the heck out of it with cleaning.

Welcome Lee in Ontario: Can relate to your weather posts. We actually had a 58 degree day yesterday in Ohio. I finally walked
    my dog after work. What a great feeling to be outside not walking on snow or ice!! :flowerforyou:

Barbiecat: Thanks for the 5 D's.. I feel deprived, its only my first week

Meg: I love this group. :heart: I wish I had more time to keep up with the posts.

Welcome Stephanie, Lorraine and Kerrin

Sylvia: I loved your "lucky" story. Made me laugh! Your son is in my prayers. You are a great inspiration.
    Your pics are great :flowerforyou: They would be awesome even if they were upside down!

Joyce: I need to sign up for "My Chart" at Cleveland Clinic but I'm afraid too read it all just yet. I'm not sure if it will help or make
    me anxious. I just need to do it

Grandmallie and Heather: Hope your neck and knees start feeling better

Maggie: PE's can be bad. but you did it; congrats on being a survivor; I know the feeling too :wink:

Cynthia: Love your 8 things post. :love: You are so right, everyday I find at least one thing to be thankful and joyful about

JP: I cant wait to wet my plants! :flowerforyou: Hope spring isn't too far off for us in Ohio

:heart: Maryann
  • isobelo46
    isobelo46 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all i am new but would love to join. i like the supportive element with your group,iwill be 70 this year @would like to control my weight@ stay there.i would be interested to hear any views you have.isobelo :flowerforyou:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support, ladies! This past week was like a roller coaster and I am too darned old to be going to bed after 1 a.m. at all, much less two nights in the same week! I was so looking forward to sleeping in this morning but the boy child missed his first day on the job yesterday so had to be there at 8 a.m. today. I did end up taking a nap, though. If I can sleep tonight, maybe I will finally not feel like I'm carrying the weight of the world on my eyelids. :laugh:

The weather here today is gorgeous! It is 71 degrees and sunny with a breeze. I took at short walk (3.25 miles) in the neighborhood. It's hard to walk outside right now because there are limbs piled all along the streets from cleanup from the ice storm last weekend. And, of course, there is always one nasty person who piles their refuse on the sidewalk. It's scary stepping out into the street with one's back to traffic in a 45 mph zone!

Wow! I just remembered that I have to take the monitor my son is wearing back to Duke tomorrow or Monday. The thing costs $6,000 so I sure want to get it back all safe and sound! I do hope there are some good readings on it so that they can figure out what is wrong. I need to get it back tomorrow so that I don't have to miss work on Monday, but I sure do dread Sunday afternoon traffic on the interstate. :angry:

Welcome to all the newcomers! I've not been here too long, but these are a great group of ladies!

I meant to go out today to the local Hospice thrift store to see if I could find some lighter weight tops for this warmer weather, but it just wasn't worth it to get cleaned up and go. I'll make do with what I have for a couple of more weeks, I guess. :ohwell:

Sylvia, your pictures look amazing! You've done an incredible job!

Okay, I'm off to put away some laundry and see if I can get a bit more cleaning done in the house. I have no idea when the boy child will get off work and need a ride home, so I'd best get moving!

Carol in sunny, warm NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat.
    One tired grandma here.How can a 5 year old where u out?I enjoyed the extra 2 days ,but was beat when I came home.
    Welcome any new ladies.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Warmer weather coming,50`s yah.:drinker:
    HUGS
    jane:heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Hi all!:bigsmile:

Just got out of the sauna. Wonderful, even though it wasn't as hot as the ones I had in Finland. So good for the endorphins.:happy:

Had a great tour of Edinburgh today, with a lovely French lunch and a theatrical tour of Mary King's Close, an old 17th century part of Edinburgh that has been buried for 300 years. I was a bit sorry for myself with my bad knee, but managed a bit of sightseeing and coped. Wasn't on top form, but loved the architecture. Saw the Parliament buildings, which will be important if Scotland becomes an independent country, the castle and Holyrood house.
    My friend drove us everywhere and we came back to dinner in the barbecue hut, festooned with multi coloured fairy lights, and then a sauna. Gorgeous! How wonderful to have such lovely friends from my school days!:bigsmile:

Bye for now, Heather from Glasgow in Scotland UK ( for now)
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I live in Northern Ohio also, in Westlake a suburb of Cleveland, We had an extremely rough time on Wednesday due to the snow and ice.. It has been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad winter here!, LOL
    Hi everyone! Did not have a chance to read all the posts since I started yesterday, but wanted to keep on this thread. Not sure how it all works yet!

Hello fellow newbie Cindy :happy: I too am fighting menopause, I am in permanent menopause as long as I am taking tamoxifen! This drug depletes every bit of estrogen you have in your body, so mine is neverending!! I am determined not to gain any more weight, joined this site so I can try to maintain. I think this will really help. Hang in there, you"ll get used to your changing body and your "power surges!

I did notice some replies to my first post, thank you all. I am at work so will read when I get home. I as well need to try to remember everybody in time, its like meeting 50 people at a party in one night and trying to remember everyones name!! :flowerforyou: :heart: :laugh:

Maryann (waiting for the next snowstorm) in Northern Ohio!!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far MaryAnn. A sense of humor and determination goes a long way! Looks like you have those down pat.

Well I went to the mall today to C J Banks for their 40% off sale. I can't believe I spent $300!:noway: :laugh: I found a sweater and tee set I liked and knew I wanted a pair of light grey dress pants to go with it but they didn't have any in the size 14 or what they call 'X'. they looked and they didn't have any back in the store room. I told them that I would just order them on line. So one of the cashiers told me tog o next door to Christopher Banks which is for shall I say regular sized ladies. She said I would probably fit in the size 16 since I was wearing the 14 in C J banks. I told her that that would be just to depressing since I am wearing some size 12s. So I checked out and went next door. I don't like it that they only have 2 dressing rooms vs the 4 dressing rooms next door. But I tried on the 14s and they were to big!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I bought the 12s. I went back to C J Banks to tell the lady thanks fro telling me about going next door. She said she was just sure I would be able to fit in theirs since I was so tiny! TINY????/ I have never been referred to as tiny. But I guess she shes mostly the ones who are buying the 3 or 4 X. Sometimes this journey has been so surreal. My doctor had been telling for years I needed it but I just knew it would be so hard and din't do it. I thank MFP and all you ladies for keeping me on track. I sure hope I can tell that doctor when I see her in June that I have lost 60 pounds. Maybe it will be even more but it is really getting stubborn.

It was in the upper 70's today and the mall was so crowded. But that just meant that I had to park way far from the entrance and get some steps in.

Joyce, Indiana where we are looking at snow again soon.
  • maw001
    maw001 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keyer23, How cool! My youngest daughter Rochelle lives in Westlake. She works at Cleveland Clinic for the last year.

I usually try to spend some time with her when I go to my Cleveland Clinic appointments :smile:

I live in Canfield a suburb of Youngstown, so its about a 2 hr drive from here

Joyce, Thank you, I think that was meant for me ( there are 2 Maryann's on this thread) I"ll sign mine Ohio Maryann

Jane, Just finished babysitting my grandkids and omg do they wear me out! I think we should log a few hrs of

exercise for it :tongue:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. Busy day today topped off with a 2 mile walk and I am exhausted. DH is sick again so we had to cancel adoption day festivities. It’s been 8 years already…hard to believe.

Teral: oh yeah that made my day LOL. I need to get out more!

Maggie welcome aboard and congratulations on all your victories!

Carol: good grief! What a stressful day. Take care of yourself.

Viv: I too tend to get sluggish as winter wears on. I have had tons of energy for the last week though so there is hope!

Cynthia: great post..thank you for sharing!

Michele: good thing my nail tech was able to do her usual magic and I now have a lovely acrylic nail repair, you can’t tell at all

Kerrin: welcome aboard!

Sylvia; WOWSER what a tremendous weight loss. Thanks for inspiring us! Oh! Alpha anti-trypsin one deficiency. Now I know what you were talking about! I agree it’s more common than you are told!

Jill: I will mark that Friday off on my calendar and we will have some fun! Looking forward to it!

Vicki: I love the nail art too but now I am in clinicals I have to go for the old fashioned look!

Jb: that sign is so cute but I had to read it twice!!!

Only have a minute or two left, so I’m saying goodnight. I know I missed lots of you but you are always in my thoughts! Take care, Meg from beautiful Omaha
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello to all my Vitamin F pals. Today was the day of the celebration of life for my friend who died last month. :brokenheart: There was a huge crowd, great photos of her, and many wonderful things said. It was an emotionally exhausting event and I’m glad I had nothing very important to do when I got home except walk the dogs.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,

Today I told my trainer some of my favorite insights from the book “Salt Sugar Fat” and we had a good laugh remembering how much we loved those sugary cereals as kids and today we wouldn’t be caught anywhere near them. :laugh: :laugh:

My workload has got me buried, and this weekend I will be spending hours in my home office preparing for two major training events. It has been a blessing to be home for four weeks straight. I’ve been cooking from scratch, a total novelty for me. Even got some new knives that I read about in a cooking magazine, and what a difference it makes to have the right tools in the kitchen!! Business travel and the inevitable restaurant meals begin next weekend with back to back trips to San Antonio and Savannah.

Sylvia: What an amazing and inspiring story. You’ve lost almost the equivalent of your young USAF-self. The picture with your old jeans speaks volumes.

Barbie: Love the chart. I’ve printed it out and put in the bathroom near my scale.

DeeDee: No surprise that you and your girls laugh so much. I think they are the ones who are blessed to have your positive love and energy in their lives. Stay silly. :wink:

Katla and Sue in TX: When I lived in Hawaii I used to agonize about visiting my friends who live at 8,000 foot elevation in the Rockies. A loooonnnng flight, followed by a 4 hour drive, plus the altitude. :sick: :sick: Then I started taking Siberian ginseng a couple months before my trips, and I never had issues with altitude sickness again. Added benefit was even more energy for skiing, paddling and biking in the mountains.

LilyMay: I love exercising with bands. Enjoy the curling.

Joyce: How wonderful that you treated your ‘tiny’ self to some great new clothes at a deep discount. Hope you sleep well and make it back to the Y.

Maryann: Keep your positive attitude and use this group for daily support in your journey to radiant good health. We’re here for you.

Isobelo: Welcome and keep coming back to this community. Please tell us your name and where you live so we can get to know you better. Lots of support here.

Carol: Holding a good thought for you and your son. I hope you can get some rest soon.

Jane: Hope you get your energy back after what had to be a memorable time for you and your DGD.

Heather: Sounds like you’re having a lovely time despite the knee issues. That sauna sounds divine.

Time to relax and watch some basketball. Anyone else into March Madness? Go Bruins.

Rori in Colorado Foothills where it’s too cold and windy to wet my plants

My word for 2014 = Release

Goals for March with progress to date:
    * Read Salt Sugar Fat – about 25% done
    * Do high intensity interval training at least 1x per week for 25 mins – on target
    * Twice a week, consume fewer than 35 carbs – on target
    * Pick up the phone and call a friend or relative 1x per week just to check in – on target
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    I did about an hour of challenges and then stretching. I did a non-nonsense challenge, one that's not as intense so I call it just "circuit challenge" and the (is it called?) Beach Body arms. I did change it up some so now I have most of the cardio exercises grouped together and then the push-ups and the squats before I do the plank.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do an hour of training games on the Wii, just haven't done that in a while.

Went to bed last night and was REALY coughing. Even Vince commented that I coughed a lot when I was laying down so I got up and sat in the living room. I did turn on the TV, but I went to sleep. Woke up around 4 and went into the bed. Now, I'd taken a cough suppressant earlier in the night but I didn't cough. I'm quite sure this is due to the high pollen count.

Yesterday, while going into WalMart, I met this couple I know. As expected, he's like Vince -- goes into the store, gets what he wants, and goes out. She and I were talking (that's one of the reasons Vince doesn't like to go shopping with me). Seems her husband had problems with the pollen and that showed up by his ear being blocked. I remember that happened to me in FL and I just thought that I had an extra amount of earwax. But guess not.

Pat - the quinoa chili sounds quite interesting. Recipe please??? I'm sure Vince won't eat the chili, but I will. That's probably also going to be something that I can freeze.

Sylvia - you are such an inspiration! Thanks for telling me that laser hair removal won't work on white hair. I don't seem to have a problem with using Neet. Just that I have to do it often. That's how we trained the service dog not to pull. Whenever I'd take it on a walk, I had a "clicker" that I'd use and then immediately give it a treat. I was going to dog walk at the Humane Society but it's really hard for me. Not that I don't mind the exercise. But it's just so ingrained in me not to let the dog walk in front of me, not to let it pull me, that I have to keep remembering "this is a pet, not a working dog". So I just stopped walking the dogs. You have a lot to be proud of, I know that I'm proud to know you

katla - love reading about your drive. Sounds like you're having a great time.

renny - what a nice surprise!

Heather - enjoy that sauna!

shhhh...don't tell Vince but I'm planning to make some of the black bean brownies. If he knew that there was black beans in it, he wouldn't eat it, So I'll just give him the "brownies" Then I want to use up the rest of the chocolate chips so I'll make him some chocolate chip cookies. If he doesn't like the "brownies", I can give him the cookies.

Paula - you go girl!!!!

Alison - enjoy your fridge

DeeDee - you bring such joy to everyone

Liz - those fainting spells of yours must be so scary! Please take care of yourself. Was that "magic bag" something you made or something you bought?

Cindy - thanks for sharing that site. It looked really interesting. I put it in my "favorites".

Sandy - One time I needed to just touch up my roots and didn't have time to go to the salon for a coloring. So they suggested in the short term to go to Sally's beauty store (store which sells beauty supplies, a lot of hairdressers go there). I got this small bottle by Clairol of moisturizing color. What I wasn't real thrilled about was the fact that it didn't last very long. So I talked to a lady there and she suggested I add this stuff that comes in a pouch called "Gray Magic". It's a color additive and she said it helps the color adhere to the gray. So I thought I'd give it a try. I'm really surprised at how well it's working. I think the last time I got my hair colord was in Sept. I've gone for at least one bang trim and need to go for another one. Like I said, I HATE when you can see the gray roots, and this really does cover the gray. You just add it to the moisturizing color, then touch up away.

Joyce - I see a graduation ceremony in your near future. No, wait, it's here!!!! Congrats on those 12's

MaryAnn - what an inspiration you are. Just reading about all you've overcome brings tears to my eyes. LOL being radioactive....lol

Isobelo - welcome! Come in often.

Heather - thaks so much for sharing your trip with us. You have such enoyable advantures. Love reading about them all.

Well, I made the black bean brownies. Honestly, I suspect they won't go over with Vince -- not choclatey enough. But I think they have pretty good flavor. Made some cake batter chocolate chip cookies, I'll send some to Jessica for her birthday and give the rest to Vince. Then wanted to use up the cake mix so I added the seltzer water and a chocolate square (Bakers) to it. Tehy didn't rise like I'd like, but they do have good flavor. then made a pork roast for later in the week. Tomorrow I'll make the zucchini apple muffins (and I won't tell Vince there's zucchini in them). I'll also send some of them to Jessica.

The box with the material for her costume came in the mail yesterday so I need to take that over to the lady who is making it.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We made it through wind and snow to DD's today. Now we're tucked into our hotel for the night and I'm ready for rest. I didn't have time to read all the posts but I wish everyone the best.

Katla in Boulder County, CO
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    happy saturday evening,

took the afternoon off of work and spent it with a girl friend I had not seen in months we chatted and walked and ended up having Japanese food for dinner - I love Sashimi and miso soup and when I got home was so happy to find out what a good choice it was...

I was changing to go out and on a fluke put on a short sleeved polo style shirt that was on the tight side last summer and it fit really nice, headed to loose - I was so darn excited! I did not realize that 8 lbs would make that difference, I don't feel like it shows much at all, but it did in that top. :happy:

JB – loved the landscaping sign!
    Renny – interesting how long it takes for folks to notice weight loss; makes me wonder how much attention we all pay when we look at one another.
    Sue in SD – I live about an hour from San Francisco, we had Jersey Boys come here – a friend saw it opening day and liked it so well she went 3 more times in the 2 weeks it was here – I never made it with her; but it must be good.
    Sandy – keep it up! Every ounce is closer to the goal…
    Heather – WOW – what a great trip; I think I’m a wee bit jealous!

thinking of all with health issues!

Smiles Kim in N. CAL
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Well girls, I'm all packed up and ready to go off to see the pandas. Had a really sleepless night last night so not sure if I might need to come back to the house for a short nap before the flight.

I wish you could have seen the barbecue hut last night, all lit up with multi coloured lights. It was amazing taking the trays of food down the garden towards fairyland. My hair is sticking up all over the place today as I went to bed with it damp after the sauna! Yikes!

Marriann - I had breast cancer nearly 7 years ago now. Chemotherapy. Lumpectomy. So far so good, but I had quite a lot of lymph glands removed so have to wear an arm sleeve. 17 years ago I had a hysterectomy and ovaries removed for heavy bleeding. Also gallbladder removed, so there's not a lot left inside! ! ! :laugh: I keep my fingers crossed every day that it doesn't come back.

Love to all. Congrats to Joyce in the new size and Hooray for Katla for getting to her daughter's. Hugs for those struggling.

Heather in damp Glasgow, Scotland.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie:smile: My cherry tree has a few blooms popping out:bigsmile: , however, winter is coming back in the form of sleet and freezing rain tonight and into tomorrow:sad: , hope it doesn`t hurt my trees, my Bradford pear trees are almost ready to bloom too!

Carol:smile: Yesterday was just a gorgeous day:love::glasses: , and now winter is back:sad: ! Hope you find out the monitor results soon:flowerforyou: !

Meg:smile: Hope DH is feeling better:flowerforyou: !

Rori:smile: Thank you for such a nice compliment:blushing: ! San Antonio is one of my favorite places:love:, amazing food there:tongue: !

Michele:smile: My ears are one of the first things to get stopped up:grumble: , they have me on Nasonex year round for it, I only use it when they really start hurting though:embarassed: ! I told a friend yesterday I know spring is almost here, my allergies are giving me a fit already. However I will take the allergies over the winter any day:tongue: !

Katla:smile: So glad you got to the hotel! Have a wonderful visit!!

Kim in N.CAL:smile: Congrats on the shirt being on the loose side:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: !!!

Heather:smile: Fairyland sounds gorgeous:love: !!! Have a safe trip!

Have a wonderful Sunday ladies!!! I`m getting ready to go boss the boys for a bit this morning:bigsmile: ! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC where winter is rearing it`s ugly head again:frown:
  • trojanmom5
    Options
    Well ladies, I am new to this today and haven't even yet figured out how to add my picture, but I will keep at it! I have a question after reading through about 30 posts; what do you mean by "just marking my spot"?

Oh - I guess I did get my picture added! Whew! I have a lot to learn. Glad you are all here to support. I will pray today that we all have a snow free, health conscious day!
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Spent the day yesterday with dear, old friends at a funeral. They were friends from my formative teaching years, just out of college. I haven't seen most of them in 25 years. It was a lovely, sad, happy day. I resisted all the ridiculously unhealthy food at the reception although I did have two tiny lemon squares. Lord was I ever hungry when I finally got home! I know that restaurants treat their greens with some kind of preservative but am thankful that I can eat somewhat healthy in order to continue my health journey.

I was reminded yesterday how important our relationships are in our journey here on the planet. I had been thinking about contacting the friend whose funeral I was attending and have regret that I hadn't. My friendly reminder today is to not procrastinate! I wish I hadn't!

On another note, hoping to enjoy barely another day of sunshine here before the crummy, winter weather returns.

Have a great day everyone!
    Enjoy being healthy!!
    xoxo
    tammy:flowerforyou:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :yawn: Having a fitful sleep, darn, after such a busy Saturday. And now I want something to eat, but I don't. Will drink some water instead and wait it out. I don't like eating breakfast too early.

DeeDee...I love your posts. Bossing the boys sounds like fun. Who are the boys and do they enjoy your bossing?

Tammy...good for you for resisting the goodies. Goodies is really a misnomer, isn't it. I'd like to come up with a different term for them:bigsmile:

I enjoy Sunday s. Today I hope to enjoy some solitude. Love it.

Ttyl